North Dakota nickname change

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Lucia4President

North Dakota nickname change

Post by Lucia4President » Thu May 14, 2009 5:11 pm

The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education voted today that the University of North Dakota must make a 30-year agreement with the Sioux tribes in the state to keep their name and logo.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... id/118748/
HOUNDS

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Thu May 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Its really gonna be a shame if they are forced to change the name, so much money and work will need to be put in to renovate the Ralph, hopefully they can reach an agreement soon, im a Huskies fan and im on the Sioux side here, hope it works out for you guys

Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux » Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 am

If they need to change the name, it would suck the big one :!:

dakotakid

Post by dakotakid » Fri May 15, 2009 11:24 am

Love4Hockey wrote:Its really gonna be a shame if they are forced to change the name, so much money and work will need to be put in to renovate the Ralph, hopefully they can reach an agreement soon, im a Huskies fan and im on the Sioux side here, hope it works out for you guys
If you are on our side ,It mite of helped if you Huskie fans did'nt protest every time the sioux come to town.

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Fri May 15, 2009 12:57 pm

I personally love it when we play the Sioux, most of the time its 2 hard faught games with great hockey played, and its always nice to see the NHC full of 6000+ screaming hockey fans

Jbone

Post by Jbone » Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 am

dakotakid wrote:
Love4Hockey wrote:Its really gonna be a shame if they are forced to change the name, so much money and work will need to be put in to renovate the Ralph, hopefully they can reach an agreement soon, im a Huskies fan and im on the Sioux side here, hope it works out for you guys
If you are on our side ,It mite of helped if you Huskie fans did'nt protest every time the sioux come to town.
Well I'm not sure that the people protesting the mascot in St. Cloud are necissarilly hockey fans. That's what happens when you get onto a liberal campus where students are all by themselves with thier parents far away from thier eye.
I guess if the name is changed to the Flickertails, then there would be a third rodent in the WCHA. Sounds cute in my mind

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu May 21, 2009 1:06 pm

Jbone wrote:
dakotakid wrote:
Well I'm not sure that the people protesting the mascot in St. Cloud are necissarilly hockey fans. That's what happens when you get onto a liberal campus where students are all by themselves with thier parents far away from thier eye.
I guess if the name is changed to the Flickertails, then there would be a third rodent in the WCHA. Sounds cute in my mind

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The U invented swagger.

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Tue May 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Even though I support the Sioux and hope they keep their name, Sioux fans need to remember that the fans here at St. Cloud are very hostile towards every player and team that comes in

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed May 27, 2009 10:00 am

Love4Hockey wrote:Even though I support the Sioux and hope they keep their name, Sioux fans need to remember that the fans here at St. Cloud are very hostile towards every player and team that comes in
:!: :!: :!: :!: SCSU FANS ARE THE BEST EVER :!: :!: :!: :!:
The U invented swagger.

Love4Hockey

Post by Love4Hockey » Wed May 27, 2009 5:05 pm

I 100% agree with you, im a die hard Huskies fan till the end and theres nothing like a game at the NHC

defense

Re: North Dakota nickname change

Post by defense » Wed May 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Lucia4President wrote:The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education voted today that the University of North Dakota must make a 30-year agreement with the Sioux tribes in the state to keep their name and logo.

Too bad for UND.
A couple things:
According to news reports and talk up around this region, of the two tribes who had to OK the use of "Fighting Sioux", Spirit Lake did support it, Standing Rock, appearently did not. This is debateable: According to reports, the leader of Standing Rock is not on the up and up. Most of the population supports the use of the name and logo. The leader, however, does not. The credibility of any votes on the subject is in huge question. Again this is according to reports, talk shows etc...

I applaud the North Dakota board of higher education on making this decision, its about time. This subject is old and beaten to death, pretty soon this subject is going to overshadow UND's athletics period. Besides, no one said that in the future with the formal support of both tribes that UND couldn't change back. Not likely, but you never know.

The Fighting Sioux name has been associated with UND athletics since what, the 1950's or 1960's.... this isn't earth shattering, change to something different and move on.

61ache

Post by 61ache » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:39 pm

Standing Rock is smart...why give something away for free when you can paint UND into a negotiating corner...

puckfan

Post by puckfan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:24 pm

UND Fighting Lutefisk!

GO BISON!

defense

Post by defense » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:10 pm

puckfan wrote:UND Fighting Lutefisk!

GO BISON!
Why would you insult lutefisk like that?????

defense

Re: North Dakota nickname change

Post by defense » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:29 pm

Lucia4President wrote:The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education voted today that the University of North Dakota must make a 30-year agreement with the Sioux tribes in the state to keep their name and logo.

Update:

The Spirit Lake reservation in North Dakota just this last week voted to not only give the University of North Dakota the right to use the Fighting Sioux nickname for 30 years but "perpetually" or forever.
Standing Rock reservation is still holding out. There is an election soon at Standing Rock reservation for leaders. Because of this there is pressure on the North Dakota Board of Higher Education to extend their deadline and let due process play out.

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:03 am

61ache wrote:Standing Rock is smart...why give something away for free when you can paint UND into a negotiating corner...
The Sioux tribe already benefits greatly from UND. :roll:
Scholarships and financial backing are annually thrown their way.
Do you think this practice is going to continue, should the Standing Rock tribe hold firm? See ya, scholarships!!! Would you think them "smart" in that scenario?

Also, as I understand the contract in regard to the Ralph, there would be no renovation to remove logo's. UND might be forced to play elsewhere, which would be pitifully unfortunate.

Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:28 pm

:shock:
Deadline extended.
:roll:

Warrior18

Post by Warrior18 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 am

Home of the fighting flickertails!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:29 am

Love4Hockey wrote:I 100% agree with you, im a die hard Huskies fan till the end and theres nothing like a game at the NHC
:roll:
The U invented swagger.

defense

Post by defense » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Heard on "News and Views" with Joel Heitkamp (a talk radio show in North Dakota) something about the Spirit Lake band filing a lawsuit against the State of North Dakota in order to KEEP the knickname. The Spirit Lake band evidently likes the knickname and feels that the Board of Higher Education has no right to change it.

breakout

Post by breakout » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:08 pm

This is such an easy fix. You don't have to change the name, just the spelling.

North Dakota "FIGHTING SUE"

Just cross out the letters IOUX several thousand times in the arena and replace them with the letters UE. New jerseys, marketing materials and for sale merchandise can easily be changed.

So simple, why has everyone overlooked this? [/u]

Purehockey

Post by Purehockey » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Enough of this politically correct its pulling this country apart. Keep the name or change it to honkies

defense

Post by defense » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Purehockey wrote:Enough of this politically correct its pulling this country apart. Keep the name or change it to honkies
How about " Hicks" "Rednecks" or "Wannabe's"....... or "The team formerly known as a knickname deamed hostile towards native americans by the NCAA".......
They should just go back to their roots,call themselves the "Aggies", or "FLickertails"...... The "Sioux" only goes to the 1960's or 70's anyway. DO you think that the group running the Arena for the late Ralph Englestad would really do anything to hurt UND hockey????
I would like to see UND keep their name, but this thing is getting beaten down a lot.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:22 pm

The North Dakota Southern Manitobans.

There. Problem solved. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:56 am

east hockey wrote:The North Dakota Southern Manitobans.

There. Problem solved. :)

Lee
:lol: