SCSU Recruits

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

SCSU Recruits

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Might as well get all the Minnesota schools up there!!

Dish it if you got it, who's getting looks from SCSU?

sriverhockey

Post by sriverhockey » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm

It might not be who's getting looks as much as who might not be going there. Joey Benik playing for the MN owls in the MNJHL. I saw him play the other night, there were 3-4 kid's on both teams better than him... He can't or won't play defense, even the coach was yelling at him to get back. He would take one or two hard strides and then coast till he got to the blue line and then circle around waiting for a pass, never covering his man. Hopefully his coach will get him going, he does have good speed and nice hands.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:13 am

Was Joey Benik a SCSU D-1 recruit? Playing in the Junior A tier 3 level?
How is that? leave high school early?

southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 pm

http://www.areavoices.com/force/?blog=55424

Looks like he has been added to Fargo's roster. He played a before and after in the Tier 3 last year.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:41 am

southernmnscout wrote:http://www.areavoices.com/force/?blog=55424

Looks like he has been added to Fargo's roster. He played a before and after in the Tier 3 last year.
The Force added him to the roster to let him know they really wanted him to play for them this year... he refused. Indeed, he's playing for the Owls before and after St. Francis again.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:17 pm

The Exiled One wrote:

The Force added him to the roster to let him know they really wanted him to play for them this year... he refused. Indeed, he's playing for the Owls before and after St. Francis again.
I watched St. Francis play BSM last winter and if I didn't have a program I would have had no idea who Benik was. Good job SCSU on landing such a top tier recruit. :roll:
The U invented swagger.

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

I watched St. Francis play BSM last winter and if I didn't have a program I would have had no idea who Benik was. Good job SCSU on landing such a top tier recruit. :roll:
Apparently you just watch center ice and he will be the kid skating all by himself screaming for the puck.

Post by 019 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Were do you arrogant people come from, is this something you were born with?

TellItHowItIs

Post by TellItHowItIs » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

isn't it up to him?
Last edited by TellItHowItIs on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:55 pm

The MNJHL is worse than an above average high school team. That league is a joke.

quickgym guy

Post by quickgym guy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:46 pm

mghockey18 wrote:The MNJHL is worse than an above average high school team. That league is a joke.
I had two sons who played HS at Cloquet. One of the years they went to state. My youngest is playing in the MJ this year and his team would crush any MN High School team... What I'm trying to say is that the league is far from being a joke!

Daulton911

Post by Daulton911 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:59 am

The talent level in this MNJHL is fairly strong.
Last edited by Daulton911 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:20 pm

TellItHowItIs wrote:he wants to continue to play High Schgool Hockey, Play with his Freinds and Brother, Stay living at Home and enjoy the Great Experience ones High School years can Bring.
If that is his thought process, then he would have been much better off playing in the Elite League.

Post by 019 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:50 pm

Does the Elite League practice Monday through Friday and have dryland training during the week like MNJHL?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
TellItHowItIs wrote:he wants to continue to play High Schgool Hockey, Play with his Freinds and Brother, Stay living at Home and enjoy the Great Experience ones High School years can Bring.
If that is his thought process, then he would have been much better off playing in the Elite League.
Could Andy have made the Elite League?

CenterIce

Post by CenterIce » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:00 pm

I haven't seen Benik play, so I can't comment on his talent. It is interesting, however, that he chose to play in the MJ and not in the Elite League. Benik is probably the only D-I committed kid in the MJ, and may be the only D-I prospect in that league. The Elite League, on the other hand, has several D-I prospects on every team. I wonder what the coaching staff at SCSU thinks. The MJ is a long way from the WCHA.

Educator29

Post by Educator29 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:43 pm

I have to disagree that the Elite league is stronger then MNJHL. There are Some very Young kids playing Elite League (16 YR olds)
Last edited by Educator29 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:04 pm

CenterIce wrote:I haven't seen Benik play, so I can't comment on his talent. It is interesting, however, that he chose to play in the MJ and not in the Elite League. Benik is probably the only D-I committed kid in the MJ, and may be the only D-I prospect in that league. The Elite League, on the other hand, has several D-I prospects on every team. I wonder what the coaching staff at SCSU thinks. The MJ is a long way from the WCHA.
I'm not going to spectulate on how the coaches feel, but as a fan I don't really care too much that he's not in the USHL or the Elite League. Essentially, he's saying he's all right with NOT being a 2010 freshman. If he'd played in the USHL, he would have had a shot... not now. Playing MNJHL and for St. Francis won't make him a worse hockey player, it'll just mean a longer wait until he's ready for the WCHA.

CenterIce

Post by CenterIce » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Educator. I like the way you stick up for your league, but you were right to put quotation marks around "Junior A" when you referred to the MJ. If you look at where the MJ players come from (2nd, 3rd and 4th line high school, and even some Junior Gold players), and where they end up (only a very few will ever make it to a college DIII program), it is in everything but name a Junior B league. That is why I wonder why Benik made the choice to play there and not in the Elite League with the best 16, 17 and 18 year olds in MN, WI and ND.

behonestbenice

Post by behonestbenice » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:52 pm

I have never been to a MJHL JR B game but I am willing tobet there are no scouts or D1 coaches in the stands let alone NHL,AHL scouts.
Why would I bet this because they are all at the NAHL USHL and Elite games all of them. Last week the stands were overflowing with NHL,USHL and D1 coaches and scouts wed-fri at the NAHL Showcase,fri-sat day elite league and then satnight through sunday at the Battle of Iowa(USHL). Not sure when they had time to check out an MJHL game to find that diamond in the ruff maybe ;when they can watch 20-30 prospects in the same time a couple times in 2 days. On the otherside everykid should never give up and if they truly believe and work hard then they can do whatever they set out to. I beleive it was Mark Messier that never played on A level team and even payed midgets and not jrs. Now he is in the HOF. If your good enough they find you. Good Luck Joey on doing the way you want to.

Puckguy19

Ravndalen

Post by Puckguy19 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Anyone interested in the SCSU program know where Bryce Ravndalen is playing this year. I know he started last season in Fargo and ended up with Alexandria. Haven't heard what he's doing this season, but noticed he isn't on the SCSU roster.

The Exiled One

Re: Ravndalen

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Puckguy19 wrote:Anyone interested in the SCSU program know where Bryce Ravndalen is playing this year. I know he started last season in Fargo and ended up with Alexandria. Haven't heard what he's doing this season, but noticed he isn't on the SCSU roster.
Waterloo of the USHL this year.

Jbone

Re: Ravndalen

Post by Jbone » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:15 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Puckguy19 wrote:Anyone interested in the SCSU program know where Bryce Ravndalen is playing this year. I know he started last season in Fargo and ended up with Alexandria. Haven't heard what he's doing this season, but noticed he isn't on the SCSU roster.
Waterloo of the USHL this year.
Not so sure he will ever play for the Huskies. He was a small player with a small upside who couldn't really put up the type of numbers he did in highschool against better competition. Always did well in the Elite League, so it kinda boggles my mind that the next step was a little out of reach. We will see where he goes after Waterloo.

As far as Benik goes, I am a little frusterated being a SCSU homer that Benik has made some of the moves he has. Haven't seen him play and haven't seen St. Francis play, but it seems that there won't be a whole lot of skill improvement when he get's to campus in the future. If he gets there. This situation looks alot like Ravndalen's except Bryce played on a better team in high school. I would think he has alot of work to get to the level of a Division I program. We'll see in the future. Good luck and please prove me wrong!

Jbone

Back to the Thread

Post by Jbone » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:28 pm

I do know that some heavy looks are being given to the Eden Prairie boy Rau. I imagine that everyone else is as well so not sure. Don't know of anybody else on the radar.

The Exiled One

Re: Back to the Thread

Post by The Exiled One » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Jbone wrote:I do know that some heavy looks are being given to the Eden Prairie boy Rau. I imagine that everyone else is as well so not sure. Don't know of anybody else on the radar.
I know that Kyle (and Curt) visited SCSU and I think the Huskies would be happy to have him, but I've heard he's not in love with the thought of playing there. It doesn't mean he won't, but it's probably more of a fall back for him.

Also, there's the twin factor. Joey Benik is playing where he is right now partially because of Andy Benik. The Reillys didn't get the same scholarships they could have gotten elsewhere had they split up. How will Curt affect Kyle?