SCSU Recruits

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

The Exiled One wrote:As long as somebody else bumped this thread, I won't mind adding that at least five current MSHSL players turned down scholarship offers from SCSU... maybe more that I don't know of.

I'm not saying any of those players made the wrong decision. However, I occasionally read complaints on this board about SCSU going after out-of-state, Canadian, and European players, and I just wanted to point out that St. Cloud coaches aren't necessarily doing that by choice.

As for Benik, I always thought he was a gamble. It's looking more and more like a wager that will pay off.
Who would those 5 players be?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

GordonBombay99 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:As long as somebody else bumped this thread, I won't mind adding that at least five current MSHSL players turned down scholarship offers from SCSU... maybe more that I don't know of.

I'm not saying any of those players made the wrong decision. However, I occasionally read complaints on this board about SCSU going after out-of-state, Canadian, and European players, and I just wanted to point out that St. Cloud coaches aren't necessarily doing that by choice.

As for Benik, I always thought he was a gamble. It's looking more and more like a wager that will pay off.
Besse, Brodzinski, Gross, Labosky, & Kloos
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

The Exiled One wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:

Besse, Brodzinski, Gross, Labosky, & Kloos
I realistically thought we only had a chance at Brodzinski and Labosky, but landing anyone of them would have been great to go along with Peterson.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

GordonBombay99 wrote:I realistically thought we only had a chance at Brodzinski and Labosky, but landing anyone of them would have been great to go along with Peterson.
Yes, it would have been nice. However, it's important to remember that four of those kids are only juniors in HS. Talented? Absolutely, but odds are some percentage of those players won't be stars at the next level. Who knows which one(s) it will be? Maybe SCSU would've landed the wrong one? We've got Peterson, who may or may not be solid. I personally think he'll do better than Labosky and Besse, but only time will tell.

Consequently, SCSU needs to go outside of the state to land kids with that kind of potential... like a Chicago area kid who's the second leading college bound scorer in the USHL.

Again, I can't say any of those kids made the wrong decision, but there are advantages to being one of the more talented Huskies rather than being just another talented player in a high profile program. Maybe someday another player like Cullen, Parrish, Lee, or Hanowski will decide the advantages are worth it.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

The Exiled One wrote:Consequently, SCSU needs to go outside of the state to land kids with that kind of potential... like a Chicago area kid who's the second leading college bound scorer in the USHL.
If you are going to discuss these things, at least be fair and make it an apples to apples thing with kids like Besse or Labosky... Murray had a very mediocre season as a 19 year old in the USHL. For the grief I give Michaelson, he is having a better year as an 18 year old than Murray had as a 19 year old.

In two years, I'd be willing to bet those kids will best what Murray did at the same age in that league. Murray is a 20 year old in a league that has more HS age kids in it than ever. Let's be real about what is most likely attributing to his "second leading college bound scorer in the USHL".
there are advantages to being one of the more talented Huskies rather than being just another talented player in a high profile program.
There isn't necessarily only one "right" way to development. But I'd put my chips on the kids who relish the competition for spots with guys of similar high ability. It pushes them and certainly makes them more mentally tough.

PS - Best wishes against UMD this weekend. :!:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

We've got Peterson, who may or may not be solid. I personally think he'll do better than Labosky and Besse, but only time will tell.

I think Besse will be a nice little college player. I agree though, I think Peterson ends up being the best of the 3.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Gopher Blog wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:Consequently, SCSU needs to go outside of the state to land kids with that kind of potential... like a Chicago area kid who's the second leading college bound scorer in the USHL.
If you are going to discuss these things, at least be fair and make it an apples to apples thing with kids like Besse or Labosky... Murray had a very mediocre season as a 19 year old in the USHL. For the grief I give Michaelson, he is having a better year as an 18 year old than Murray had as a 19 year old.

In two years, I'd be willing to bet those kids will best what Murray did at the same age in that league. Murray is a 20 year old in a league that has more HS age kids in it than ever. Let's be real about what is most likely attributing to his "second leading college bound scorer in the USHL".
there are advantages to being one of the more talented Huskies rather than being just another talented player in a high profile program.
There isn't necessarily only one "right" way to development. But I'd put my chips on the kids who relish the competition for spots with guys of similar high ability. It pushes them and certainly makes them more mentally tough.

PS - Best wishes against UMD this weekend. :!:
Proven USHL scoring leader > Unproven high school junior
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Gopher Blog wrote:

It was more a statement of how every scholarship offer rejected by a Minnesotan makes it more likely that the offer will go to a non-Minnesotan. Basically, SCSU won't just keep going further down the food-chain in MN, they'll start going elsewhere.

Also, you rule-out the fact that Murray may have taken a step in his development.

As far as the bet: You're saying that Besse and Labosky will BOTH do better than 2nd in the USHL in points at the age of 19? I think I'd take that bet all day long. ;)

And I didn't say that landing a proven USHL player is better than landing a MSHSL junior. To use your terminology, that's not "apples to apples".
Last edited by The Exiled One on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

MrBoDangles wrote:Proven USHL scoring leader > Unproven high school junior
If that is SCSU's strategy, no wonder they have so many trophies to brag about. :shock:

You supplement rosters with 20 year old players. You don't build your talent base around them. Not if you expect to win championships.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Gopher Blog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Proven USHL scoring leader > Unproven high school junior
If that is SCSU's strategy, no wonder they have so many trophies to brag about. :shock:

You supplement rosters with 20 year old players. You don't build your talent base around them. Not if you expect to win championships.
It's been the Gophers problem for quite a while now........ Losing to teams with more mature players.

I agree that the Gophers are filled with talent and even have some MaTure leadership this year. Mature leadership is something they haven't had often in recent years.

Makes sense to me.. :wink:
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

If Motzko really believed what you said, he wouldn't be making offers to the names that TEO mentioned. That's simply a reality.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Gopher Blog wrote:If Motzko really believed what you said, he wouldn't be making offers to the names that TEO mentioned. That's simply a reality.
Lucia should be making offers to more established players. And that's simply a reality.

Should go after a mix of both..
Govie

Post by Govie »

I really hope SCSU picks up Jay Dickman after a year at the Fargo Force so I have even one more reason to root for the Huskies. With a couple sibs who are alum and another one who played for the Huskies and having played with someone growing up who played for them I have a great deal of allegiance to the college hockey program.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

For Dickman or others who might consider playing at SCSU, this is a MUST READ...

http://jaysonhron.wordpress.com/2012/02 ... y-history/
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

MrBoDangles wrote: Lucia should be making offers to more established players. And that's simply a reality.
He has. That's part of the reason why they sit in first place. What's your excuse for SCSU? And I don't mean this year... I mean in general. If it wasn't for Mankato, SCSU's track record would be the worst in the state. Even Bemidji has more success in the NCAAs.
Last edited by Gopher Blog on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

The Exiled One wrote:For Dickman or others who might consider playing at SCSU, this is a MUST READ...

Yes because SCSU has such great tradition compared to Minnesota, UW, UND, DU, etc. :lol:

But I guess if I had the kind of playoff "success" SCSU has had, I may be inclined to focus on things from decades ago too. :oops:
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Ahhh...college hockey bloggers. Never scared to get in to a pissing match on a high school hockey message board.

:roll:
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

BobSaget wrote:Ahhh...college hockey bloggers. Never scared to get in to a pissing match on a high school hockey message board.

Oh... you want in?

Its no different in tone than many of the discussions on this board.

Feel free to ignore it if it causes you the eye rolls. :lol:
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Gopher Blog wrote:
BobSaget wrote:Ahhh...college hockey bloggers. Never scared to get in to a pissing match on a high school hockey message board.

Oh... you want in?

Its no different in tone than many of the discussions on this board.

Feel free to ignore it if it causes you the eye rolls. :lol:
I just find great humor in it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I can laugh at it and get the eye rolls...they are independent of each other.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

GB-

It's great that you're able to forget the Goph's last 4-5 seasons... How Lucia is able to stick around while failing with all that talent is beyond me.

Minnesota and SCSU have been pretty head to head the last 5-6 years. It must mean that SCSU is overachieving in your opinion with their lack of quality recruits. What's the Gopher's problem then? :cry: :wink: :lol:
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Gopher Blog wrote:Yes because SCSU has such great tradition compared to Minnesota, UW, UND, DU, etc. :lol:

But I guess if I had the kind of playoff "success" SCSU has had, I may be inclined to focus on things from decades ago too. :oops:
It was an entertaining and well written story. You seem to be reading more into my posts than intended.
dangle_snipe

Post by dangle_snipe »

Gopher Blog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: Lucia should be making offers to more established players. And that's simply a reality.
He has. That's part of the reason why they sit in first place. What's your excuse for SCSU? And I don't mean this year... I mean in general. If it wasn't for Mankato, SCSU's track record would be the worst in the state. Even Bemidji has more success in the NCAAs.
They sit in first place because the REAL head coach came back and they got rid of that turd that was coaching the blueliners.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

MrBoDangles wrote:What's the Gopher's problem then? :cry: :wink: :lol:
Line up all your trophies you've put together in that time w/ Motzko. Oh wait... :P
dangle_snipe wrote:They sit in first place because the REAL head coach came back and they got rid of that turd that was coaching the blueliners.
Exactly. Lucia's biggest mistake was which assistant he decided to side with four years ago. Get rid of Hill and we see immediate dividends.

Anyway, I'll leave the Huskies fans alone. I'm actually cheering for their squad this weekend. :wink:
Govie

Post by Govie »

Gopher Blog wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:For Dickman or others who might consider playing at SCSU, this is a MUST READ...

Yes because SCSU has such great tradition compared to Minnesota, UW, UND, DU, etc. :lol:

One NCAA win in school history, sure, but they've had some legends come through the program (Malone, Hedican and Cullen come to mind, but there are a number more).

Of course SCS is going to have more trouble taking players when the Gophers, one of the most storied programs in NCAA history (first NCAA team to win a Nat' Champ with only players from the state) and certainly the most storied in MN's history.

I grew up a Gophs fan, partly because I'm a TCer but partly because Herb was born and raised in the same neighborhood and also went to my HS as well and was a committed East Sider. I just wish SCS would have more success on the national level.

This year the program has been absolutely devastated by injuries but that's neither here nor there.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

I would love to see State land a big solid player like Jay Dickman, also McLain and the Hill Murray boys would be nice and the others from Benilde too. Theres quite a bit of uncommitted talent in this state and I think State is going to be able to snag a few of them espially with the renovations to the NHC set to begin.