SCSU Recruits

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Govie

Post by Govie »

Dickman was listed in a NHL scout's list of best HS players this year - he was one of only 12 listed in the Pioneer yesterday and one of only a couple that has yet to be grabbed up by an NCAA hockey club, so I'm guessing he will make all state this year.

I certainly would get up to the campus more often if he were to go to the Huskies.

I was also unaware that the NHC was getting upgraded.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Gopher Blog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:What's the Gopher's problem then? :cry: :wink: :lol:
Line up all your trophies you've put together in that time w/ Motzko. Oh wait... :P
dangle_snipe wrote:They sit in first place because the REAL head coach came back and they got rid of that turd that was coaching the blueliners.
Exactly. Lucia's biggest mistake was which assistant he decided to side with four years ago. Get rid of Hill and we see immediate dividends.

Anyway, I'll leave the Huskies fans alone. I'm actually cheering for their squad this weekend. :wink:
Sounds like you should just get a smiling wax figure of Lucia for behind the bench and save the money.

:lol:
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

Govie wrote:Dickman was listed in a NHL scout's list of best HS players this year - he was one of only 12 listed in the Pioneer yesterday and one of only a couple that has yet to be grabbed up by an NCAA hockey club, so I'm guessing he will make all state this year.

I certainly would get up to the campus more often if he were to go to the Huskies.

they announced maybe a week or two ago that they will begin the renovations right after the UMD series this weekend
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

MrBoDangles wrote:Sounds like you should just get a smiling wax figure of Lucia for behind the bench and save the money.

And the wax figure would win more trophies than Motzko too. 8)
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Gopher Blog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Sounds like you should just get a smiling wax figure of Lucia for behind the bench and save the money.

At least you admit it. 8)
blindref

Post by blindref »

Gopher Blog wrote:

They've both won the same amount of National Championships since Motzko left the U.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

hawkhockey wrote:
Govie wrote:Dickman was listed in a NHL scout's list of best HS players this year - he was one of only 12 listed in the Pioneer yesterday and one of only a couple that has yet to be grabbed up by an NCAA hockey club, so I'm guessing he will make all state this year.

they announced maybe a week or two ago that they will begin the renovations right after the UMD series this weekend
I believe their set to begin sometim during the series before one of the games but im not sure which one, its supposed to be the ground breaking.
Govie

Post by Govie »

Looks like it will be a very nice improvement:

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/athletics/s ... Center.asp

Now they need to get back to NCAA and make a run(s).
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

Sweet, now recruit some MN kids!
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

deacon64 wrote:Sweet, now recruit some MN kids!
Govie

Post by Govie »

Looks like 15 players on current roster from MN, 4 from surrounding states (MI, WI, IA, IL) and 4 from Canada.

I believe the Gophs have a similar roster (4 from either out of the country or surrounding states). So basically the Huskies have 4 more that are out of state on their roster. Not too bad.

The Huskies just need to get more of the elite players in the state to go there, but that's a VERY difficult proposition for a number of reasons.

At the very least they need to shore up all the elite players from the northern portion of the state (border cities [Roseau, Warroad, International Falls, Moorhead], and Duluth area).
Govie

Post by Govie »

Govie wrote:Looks like 15 players on current roster from MN, 4 from surrounding states (MI, WI, IA, IL) and 4 from Canada.

I believe the Gophs have a similar roster (4 from either out of the country or surrounding states). So basically the Huskies have 4 more that are out of state on their roster. Not too bad.

The Huskies just need to get more of the elite players in the state to go there, but that's a VERY difficult proposition for a number of reasons.

At the very least they need to shore up all the elite players from the northern portion of the state (border cities [Roseau, Warroad, International Falls, Moorhead], and Duluth area).
To elaborate:

SCS is a State University; the U is more prestigious and more expensive

The U has a much more storied history

The U is in a major metropolitan area/campus (the TC)

The U has "major" DI programs in all their sports

That's some of the reasons that elite players have throughout the history of these schools seen more go to the U than they have SCS.
Racki

Post by Racki »

GordonBombay99 wrote:I would love to see State land a big solid player like Jay Dickman, also McLain and the Hill Murray boys would be nice and the others from Benilde too. Theres quite a bit of uncommitted talent in this state and I think State is going to be able to snag a few of them espially with the renovations to the NHC set to begin.

Unless they change the size of the ice surface I don't see Dickman going to SCSU or the Gophers.
Cornermukker

Post by Cornermukker »

GordonBombay99 wrote:I would love to see State land a big solid player like Jay Dickman, also McLain and the Hill Murray boys would be nice and the others from Benilde too. Theres quite a bit of uncommitted talent in this state and I think State is going to be able to snag a few of them espially with the renovations to the NHC set to begin.
I know that SCSU has been to 3 or 4 of Brainerd's games watching McLain, any thing more come of it?
trev2k1

Post by trev2k1 »

Cornermukker wrote:
I know that SCSU has been to 3 or 4 of Brainerd's games watching McLain, any thing more come of it?
at saturdays game i was chatting with a couple of the boys from little falls varsity, and noticed Mitch was sitting a few rows ahead...i wanted to ask him about it, but it was too crowded
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

Govie wrote: At the very least they need to shore up all the elite players from the northern portion of the state (border cities [Roseau, Warroad, International Falls, Moorhead], and Duluth area).
That kind of approach could work. Build a tradition recruiting north of the TC. People love tradition which could begin to draw the northern boys. Heck, if the Bison can do it in football no reason SCSU could not do it in Hockey.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

deacon64 wrote:
Govie wrote: At the very least they need to shore up all the elite players from the northern portion of the state (border cities [Roseau, Warroad, International Falls, Moorhead], and Duluth area).
That kind of approach could work. Build a tradition recruiting north of the TC. People love tradition which could begin to draw the northern boys. Heck, if the Bison can do it in football no reason SCSU could not do it in Hockey.
Problem is UND and UMD exist in those northern areas. Then add on that the Gophers will go after a few top kids in those areas on occasion as well. Those are all major hurdles. Highly unlikely SCSU would ever come close to having a stranglehold in the areas Govie is suggesting.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
deacon64 wrote:
Problem is UND and UMD exist in those northern areas. Then add on that the Gophers will go after a few top kids in those areas on occasion as well. Those are all major hurdles. Highly unlikely SCSU would ever come close to having a stranglehold in the areas Govie is suggesting.
State has been known to snag a recruit from "enemy land" in past years in Aaron Marvin and Nick Oliver (No Dak territory) and Drew LebLanc and Judd Peterson (UMD territory).
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

GordonBombay99 wrote:State has been known to snag a recruit from "enemy land" in past years in Aaron Marvin and Nick Oliver (No Dak territory) and Drew LebLanc and Judd Peterson (UMD territory).
I know that. But he said "shore up ALL the elite players" from those areas. That's a lot different than grabbing the occasional guy.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

observer wrote:http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/stats_hockey ... gueid=2393

Benik leads Penticton in scoring and leads the BCHL in assists.
Benik now leads the BCHL in scoring.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:State has been known to snag a recruit from "enemy land" in past years in Aaron Marvin and Nick Oliver (No Dak territory) and Drew LebLanc and Judd Peterson (UMD territory).
I know that. But he said "shore up ALL the elite players" from those areas. That's a lot different than grabbing the occasional guy.
Very true, State isnt known as a team that recruits from the cities very often, they tend to stay more local in central Minnesota and northern Minnesota with some kids from Canada. I do think with such parody in talent that State might start to pick up some kids from the cities, espically with the new renovations upcomming to the NHC.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

Wrong site
Last edited by Melvin44 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

Melvin44 wrote:Which 5? Brandt, Stecklien, McMillan etc. Players who would have never chosen SCSU.

To land top recruits SCSU needs a new coach. He's been labeled and they need a fresh coach who can relate more with the girls. Perfect place for a Woman head coach.

Just not a fan.
Oops! Wrong Forum.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

Yes, Sorry about that.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

A few interesting developments since the last update...

• Two metro kids have committed in Jimmy Schuldt and Charlie Lindgren.
• Three kids committed via SoCal (though one backed out to play golf).
• Two kids committed via Ontario.
• One recruit stolen from Michigan Tech's football team.

All in all, waiting in the wings are four players from Minnesota, one from Quebec, one from Ontario, one from Michigan, one from SoCal, one from Las Vegas, and one from Idaho.

Also, Huskies (I believe) have offers out to Vannelli and Poganski (though I believe both will end up going elsewhere). They are watching Swingle and Hammer too. John Schuldt and Andrew Lindgren also have to be on their radar (for obvious reasons).

It seems like SCSU is recruiting all over, and even going for some Gopher targets, which makes for an interesting dynamic with the new conference alignment. Still though, they're not in the business of keeping the Gophers honest for players like Hurley and Gersich. That duty goes to UND.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.