SCSU Recruits

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

seasoned vet

Post by seasoned vet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:48 pm

You meant Charlie Lindgren, when you said 2 metro area kids committed i assume?

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:59 pm

seasoned vet wrote:You meant Charlie Lindgren, when you said 2 metro area kids committed i assume?
Oops, yes, that's what I meant.

icehornet

Post by icehornet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 pm

The Exiled One wrote: It seems like SCSU is recruiting all over, and even going for some Gopher targets, which makes for an interesting dynamic with the new conference alignment. Still though, they're not in the business of keeping the Gophers honest for players like Hurley and Gersich. That duty goes to UND.
The bolded part is going to make this interesting over the next few years. The Gophers will likely continue getting their pick of MN kids but a few may consider playing for SCSU, UND, UMD seeing that those teams will be playing significantly more games closer to home and will be in one of the top conferences (if not the best) in the nation.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 pm

icehornet wrote:The bolded part is going to make this interesting over the next few years. The Gophers will likely continue getting their pick of MN kids but a few may consider playing for SCSU, UND, UMD seeing that those teams will be playing significantly more games closer to home and will be in one of the top conferences (if not the best) in the nation.
Hard to imagine now, because it will be a major sea change, but I believe the Big Ten schools will eventually have a big recruiting advantage over other teams located in the Midwest. It's all related to revenue.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:01 pm

icehornet wrote:The bolded part is going to make this interesting over the next few years. The Gophers will likely continue getting their pick of MN kids but a few may consider playing for SCSU, UND, UMD seeing that those teams will be playing significantly more games closer to home
Quite frankly, I've seen this spouted off on the SCSU board and I had to laugh. The Gophers will still be playing roughly 70% of their future games in Minnesota. They'll have 20 regular season home games and no doubt will travel to in-state teams a few series a year. Then you add likely home play off games and games at XCel (and eventually getting UND back on the schedule)... the "significantly more" closer to home for teams like SCSU is a major stretch. Unless you consider maybe a series or so more games around the borders as qualifying. :lol:

And even on the distant away games... they'll be on TV almost every time around the country on BTN or FSN. Something a program like SCSU will never be able to say.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
icehornet wrote:The bolded part is going to make this interesting over the next few years. The Gophers will likely continue getting their pick of MN kids but a few may consider playing for SCSU, UND, UMD seeing that those teams will be playing significantly more games closer to home
Quite frankly, I've seen this spouted off on the SCSU board and I had to laugh. The Gophers will still be playing roughly 70% of their future games in Minnesota. They'll have 20 regular season home games and no doubt will travel to in-state teams a few series a year. Then you add likely home play off games and games at XCel (and eventually getting UND back on the schedule)... the "significantly more" closer to home for teams like SCSU is a major stretch. Unless you consider maybe a series or so more games around the borders as qualifying. :lol:

And even on the distant away games... they'll be on TV almost every time around the country on BTN or FSN. Something a program like SCSU will never be able to say.
Hey Gopher Blog take you over inflated ego over to your Gopher puck forum where you will be right at home!

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:29 pm

If you have a problem with somebody raising facts that you can't refute, I suppose that would be the expected response. :lol:

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:12 am

Gopher Blog wrote:Quite frankly, I've seen this spouted off on the SCSU board and I had to laugh. The Gophers will still be playing roughly 70% of their future games in Minnesota. They'll have 20 regular season home games and no doubt will travel to in-state teams a few series a year. Then you add likely home play off games and games at XCel (and eventually getting UND back on the schedule)... the "significantly more" closer to home for teams like SCSU is a major stretch.
I don't think icehornet posts on the SCSU message board. Also, I don't recall any of the SCSUHockey.com posters mentioning "significantly more" games in state as a factor.

I mentioned the conference realignment as a "dynamic", but if it gives anybody in the NCHC an advantage, I personally believe it'll probably be North Dakota or Nebraska-Omaha.

Also, icehornet still thinks the Gophers will get "their pick" of the metro kids, so I'm not sure why you're getting your panties in a bunch.

icehornet

Post by icehornet » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:56 am

I didn't realize a slight suggestion not in favor of the Gophers would cause such a reaction by GB. I said "a few" kids MAY look at other schools a little closer because of the conference changes. You're right, it probably isn't "significantly more" games in the area but there will be a difference. You can't deny playing in a conference with Penn St, Ohio St, and Mich St is very different compared to UND, SCSU, and UMD (remember we're talking hockey here.) I could see this potentially being one consideration for outstate kids more than anything else.

TEO is right though, this would likely play more into UND's hand as they regularly compete with the Gophers for recruits. Nothing to get all worked up about.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:56 am

The Exiled One wrote:I don't think icehornet posts on the SCSU message board. Also, I don't recall any of the SCSUHockey.com posters mentioning "significantly more" games in state as a factor.
It's not like I write down everything that was said but it was definitely alluded to.
Also, icehornet still thinks the Gophers will get "their pick" of the metro kids, so I'm not sure why you're getting your panties in a bunch.
I think it is a lousy take to even suggest it as a factor for the reasons given.

It's not like Motzko never tried competing with the likes of the Gophers for recruits before.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:04 pm

icehornet wrote:You can't deny playing in a conference with Penn St, Ohio St, and Mich St is very different compared to UND, SCSU, and UMD (remember we're talking hockey here.) I could see this potentially being one consideration for outstate kids more than anything else.
UND, SCSU, UMD will also be on the Gophers schedule even after the conference changes. It won't be two series a year (although we only play those three teams in one series this year anyway) but it's not like they won't be playing them. UND is about 3+ years out but they'll be there.

You bring up additional away travel for MN but its not like NCHC teams around here (like SCSU) aren't going to have some more of that as well. It's not like league games at WMU, Miami, UNO, DU, and CC are 45 minutes away from St. Cloud or Grand Forks. :idea:

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:If you have a problem with somebody raising facts that you can't refute, I suppose that would be the expected response. :lol:
Fact nobody whines more than Gopher fans.
Fact national titles were won with Woog recruits.
Fact Lucia model of recruiting has resulted in zero titles.
Fact Lucia cannot develop players: Garth Snow knows what he is talking about.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Like most of what you say... inaccurate.

The majority of the 2002 team were Lucia recruits. The entire 2003 team (other than Nick Anthony and he didn't even suit up at the Frozen Four) were Lucia recruits. So much for your "facts". :lol:

As for recruiting model... well, add up the regular season, post-season, and NCAA trophies Lucia's teams have had and compare it your club. Then come talk to me about what has worked. :idea:

Maybe northwoods oldwhiner would be a more appropriate nickname? 8)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Could we please move our college trash talk to the college forum? This thread is about SCSU recruits.

Thank you.