BSU Beavers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Sputtering Gophs

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Hey northwoods oldtimer, why don't you go back to the nursing home where you belong. The GOPHERS are NEVER over hyped, gutless, and they have more character than you will ever have old man. The only thing that is pathetic is you.
That is funny taking hacks at an old man but it is no skin off my backside. I like the fight it makes for good banter. Facts are facts your team is a terrible hockey team and you have to watch that ship. I on the other hand will thoroughly enjoy watching the Dogs defeat your hapless team next weekend :shock: Your club is and will be sub .500 there just not a good hockey team.
Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux »

Please tell me you didn't ban Curdog :!:

Things were just starting to get interesting.

By the way.....Great job by the Beavers so far this season.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

I don't know how that team can lose when they have their choice of all the best players and such a great coach. I keep asking the Gopher fans and I hear nothing but silence. Are the players overrated or is the Don a poor coach?
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

Ill tell you EXACTLY what the answer is.

The gophers dont play as a team. Each player plays for himself. Hear me out on this because im not saying this just because im a beaver fan.

I observed on a number of occasions this weekend where the gophers would have the puck on a 2-1 opportunity. Whoever was in possession of the puck takes the shot almost every single time. They would never even try to get the goalie out of position by snapping it across the crease
This is BEMIDJI STATE hockey.
BeaverFan

Post by BeaverFan »

minnesotaice wrote:I observed on a number of occasions this weekend where the gophers would have the puck on a 2-1 opportunity. Whoever was in possession of the puck takes the shot almost every single time. They would never even try to get the goalie out of position by snapping it across the crease
I noticed that too. On a few occasions a Gopher player would just throw the puck on net right into the bread basket with no rebound, on a good 2-1 situation. Bemidji had a lot of good chances on 2 on 1's sliding it over behind the defenceman, especially on Sunday night.

It's not always a good play to pass it over if the shot is there, or there is a good rebound opportunity coming to the other man in.
WCHA. HERE WE COME.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

BeaverFan wrote:
minnesotaice wrote:I observed on a number of occasions this weekend where the gophers would have the puck on a 2-1 opportunity. Whoever was in possession of the puck takes the shot almost every single time. They would never even try to get the goalie out of position by snapping it across the crease
I noticed that too. On a few occasions a Gopher player would just throw the puck on net right into the bread basket with no rebound, on a good 2-1 situation. Bemidji had a lot of good chances on 2 on 1's sliding it over behind the defenceman, especially on Sunday night.

It's not always a good play to pass it over if the shot is there, or there is a good rebound opportunity coming to the other man in.
Exactly. It just seems that the gopher players are all about the personal stats rather than putting the puck in the net no matter who scores it.
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

minnesotaice wrote:
BeaverFan wrote:

Exactly. It just seems that the gopher players are all about the personal stats rather than putting the puck in the net no matter who scores it.
I disagree, a shot on goal is the most important play in hockey. If they don't pass they can use the off wing as a decoy. Plus if they were passing cross ice and not executing shots you'd say they were trying to be too fancy and find fault in that.
BeaverFan

Post by BeaverFan »

mngopherfan wrote:
minnesotaice wrote:
BeaverFan wrote: I noticed that too. On a few occasions a Gopher player would just throw the puck on net right into the bread basket with no rebound, on a good 2-1 situation. Bemidji had a lot of good chances on 2 on 1's sliding it over behind the defenceman, especially on Sunday night.

I disagree, a shot on goal is the most important play in hockey. If they don't pass they can use the off wing as a decoy. Plus if they were passing cross ice and not executing shots you'd say they were trying to be too fancy and find fault in that.
Yes, a shot on goal is the most important play in hockey. I was just pointing out that the Gophers were making shots right into the goalie, when the goalie was in perfect position. Rather than taking a shot, and not getting a rebound.. why not make a pass and make the goalie move out of position? This is fundamental stuff that you would think NHL drafted players would pick up on. Just saying..
WCHA. HERE WE COME.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The most important play in hockey is a shot on goal that scores.

A shot in a quality scoring opportunity is probably second.

A shot on goal could be either of these two, the second may not result in a SOG.
A SOG from outside the blue line, bad angle, or 'use your imagination'; may not be the best play at that particular point in the game.

Creativity (good hockey sense) is what is important. That is why the Gophs forwards and Dmen are sought after and drafted - they have it.

Unfortunately the Gophs tend to be too much that without the chemistry of team play.
And they seem to lack that same attitude of hard-work and creativity toward defense.

And that hard work attitude on defense needs to come from the coach.
That is where I feel Lucia has lacked - especially the last two years.
Lots of good O players, but not getting them to play a little D also.

A good goalie, yes. But how he feels after the last game could decide the season for them. I hope he comes out and plays the best game he can.
BeaverFan

Post by BeaverFan »

Bemidji looked good tonight against Huntsville. Managed to get 6 goals with 10 penalties on the scoresheet.
WCHA. HERE WE COME.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

BeaverFan wrote:Bemidji looked good tonight against Huntsville. Managed to get 6 goals with 10 penalties on the scoresheet.
I agree, they definitely showed off their firepower against UAH tonight. Good atmosphere at The Glas tonight too. Although UAH's program is tanking, its definitely a fun rivalry between the Chargers and the Beavers.

Anyone know the status of Chris Peluso's injury? I saw him take a shot to the hand against the gophers last Sunday and he wasnt out on the ice tonight.
BeaverFan

Post by BeaverFan »

minnesotaice wrote: Anyone know the status of Chris Peluso's injury? I saw him take a shot to the hand against the gophers last Sunday and he wasnt out on the ice tonight.
I did see him standing behind the glass last night with some other players sitting out. Hand wasn't wrapped up or anything, maybe just sitting out a couple games to get to 100%. However, Hardwick is back on the gamesheet! He sat out the last 4-5 games.
WCHA. HERE WE COME.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

BeaverFan wrote:
minnesotaice wrote: Anyone know the status of Chris Peluso's injury? I saw him take a shot to the hand against the gophers last Sunday and he wasnt out on the ice tonight.
I did see him standing behind the glass last night with some other players sitting out. Hand wasn't wrapped up or anything, maybe just sitting out a couple games to get to 100%. However, Hardwick is back on the gamesheet! He sat out the last 4-5 games.
I saw him too, he actually did have his hand/thumb wrapped up. Hopefully he'll heal up soon, the beavs should be fine in the meantime.

Dugas looked good last night in between the pipes. two of those goals he gave up were pretty flukey. He had some great saves on a couple of those penalty kills.
BeaverFan

Post by BeaverFan »

minnesotaice wrote:I saw him too, he actually did have his hand/thumb wrapped up. Hopefully he'll heal up soon, the beavs should be fine in the meantime.

Dugas looked good last night in between the pipes. two of those goals he gave up were pretty flukey. He had some great saves on a couple of those penalty kills.
Oh alright, didn't notice that!

Yes, Dugas did play pretty solid. It's great Serratore is throwing him in for games. There's nothing better for a goalies growth as a player than experience in front of the pipes.
WCHA. HERE WE COME.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

#6 this week and received two first place votes.

Play Miami in Grand Forks Friday afternoon.
David Sparrow#1

Post by David Sparrow#1 »

elliott70 wrote:#6 this week and received two first place votes.

You really like to brag up the Beavers all over the internet don't you?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

David Sparrow#1 wrote:

Well, at least on this particular thread which is titled,
oh imagine that, BSU Beavers.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

David Sparrow#1 wrote:

unlike every other team in the state of minnesota, at least we have a good team to brag about.
BeaverFan

Post by BeaverFan »

David Sparrow#1 wrote:

We would brag up the NDSU hockey program, but unfortunately for you it doesn't exist.

This is a thread titled "BSU Beavers", I would assume we are going to be talking about the Bemidji State Beavers..
WCHA. HERE WE COME.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

BSU - 2
Miami - 0

AFTER 2 :o
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

MNHockey75 wrote:BSU - 2
Miami - 0

The beavs are gettin heavily out shot. Finish this one off boys!!

It'll be interesting to see the rankings if Bemidji pulls this one off. They could be somewhere in the top 3, maybe even number 1 with the solid record they have.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

Chris McKelvie of New Brighton, Minnesota nets one with 3 minutes left for the Bemidji win 3-2!!!!

GO BEAVERS!!!!
BeaverFan

Post by BeaverFan »

minnesotaice wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:BSU - 2
Miami - 0

The beavs are gettin heavily out shot. Finish this one off boys!!

It'll be interesting to see the rankings if Bemidji pulls this one off. They could be somewhere in the top 3, maybe even number 1 with the solid record they have.
Great game by the Beavs. Got dominated on the shot clock, but still managed to pull out the win.

I would think Miami is going to be booted out of the #1 position this week. Especially if they do poorly against UND today.

Also - Mass-Lowell has taken 2 losses in the past week, watch for them to drop out of the top 5 spot!
WCHA. HERE WE COME.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

Bemidji Lost in overtime to Ohio State 2-1. Ohio scored the game winner on a fluke garbage goal.

Beavers had plenty of good chances. They just couldnt put the puck in the net.

Tom Serretore said "We deserved this. If not a loss than at least a tie. We played terrible... too many turnovers, there wasnt any intensity on our side."

He says it how it is, thats for sure.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

When is the last time a college hockey team (if ever) has gone undefeated?