Stillwater Ponies @ Grand Rapids Thunderhawks 11/28

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Stillwater Ponies @ Grand Rapids Thunderhawks 11/28

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Any thoughts or predictions?

Anyone watched these teams in pre-season?
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Well what are your thoughts? GR better then last year or about the same?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Living out of state for many years now I wouldn't know as much as the locals, but I have watched long enough to know that there is usually improvement when you have a lot of players with 1-2 years experience returning. I have no clue who their goalie will be, but they do have a strong group of defensemen and a forward on the NHL scouting "c" list that someone posted earlier.

I think these two played a competitive game in Stillwater last year with the Ponies winning. So I'll take an improved more experienced GR group on their home ice 3-2.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

I think it will be a good game. Ponies return 9 Forwards (3 have been Varsity for 3 yrs) 6 were in the top ten in scoring last year. 4 Defensemen and 2 - 3rd year Varsity Goalies.

Lets just see how the boys respond to a long bus ride.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

I think Housley is the type of coach that will remind the Ponies the history of the Rapids arena, and the legends that have played in that building. He will make sure the Ponies are at their best. Depth of Stillwater will get an edge.

Youngy, not sure if you have been in that building before, but it's amazing to see what a small community does to support it's hockey programs, versus some of the crap the Twin Cities schools play in.

That Rapids arena is as good as it gets!!
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Goldy there aren't many in MN that I haven't skated or watched in. That whole Iron Range area has some great rinks to watch at. I am hoping for a great game Saturday.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Then again, Youngy, the Ponies home ice is a wonderful venue. It should be a great test and fun!!!! Good luck to both teams.
northwoods oldtimer

Game

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Might have to take this game in since ice fishing is not an option. Should be a good early season game.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

Bus ride or not, Housley will have the boys ready to play. It should be epic :D
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Hey Youngy or Ponies, why are they driving up all that way for just one game? How come they didn't schedule one for Friday and Saturday?

Good luck to the Ponies!!!
hockie

Post by hockie »

Stillwater 3-2 F ot. They scored with 1.2 seconds left in overtime.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Should be a fun bus ride home!!
northwoods oldtimer

Back Breaking Loss

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Man that was a fun high school game to watch even though it was a back breaker loss for Grand Rapids. Stillwater likes to run your goalie, hack hockey in my opinion, I expected a bit more from a Housley lead team. They will give H-M some trouble I expect.
wbmd

Re: Back Breaking Loss

Post by wbmd »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Man that was a fun high school game to watch even though it was a back breaker loss for Grand Rapids. Stillwater likes to run your goalie, hack hockey in my opinion, I expected a bit more from a Housley lead team. They will give H-M some trouble I expect.
If they even end up playing Hill in 4AA.
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Oh dont worry, wbmd. White Bear and Hill will play in sections. We all know it. The only question is when. If we can take out Stilley Water before or after beating you guys, all the better for us :lol:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Rapids still wear their '75 white uniforms?
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Northsider wrote:Oh dont worry, wbmd. White Bear and Hill will play in sections. We all know it. The only question is when. If we can take out Stilley Water before or after beating you guys, all the better for us :lol:
I can think of at least 15 years in sections when White Bear (or Mariner) and Hill haven't played each other. Nothing is a given in that section.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

wbmd wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Man that was a fun high school game to watch even though it was a back breaker loss for Grand Rapids. Stillwater likes to run your goalie, hack hockey in my opinion, I expected a bit more from a Housley lead team. They will give H-M some trouble I expect.

teah hopefully Hill can get by Tartan this year.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

It was a good game refs made it interesting as usual with the leaving theplayer in the box after his penalty was up, for an extra 45 secs.

Boy those GR fans sure leave the rink fast after a Loss!! Pretty quite too.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

youngblood08 wrote:
wbmd wrote:

We'll just watch tape of the Johnson game last year.....and laugh our asses off again!! :lol:
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:
youngblood08 wrote:
wbmd wrote: If they even end up playing Hill in 4AA.

We'll just watch tape of the Johnson game last year.....and laugh our asses off again!! :lol:
Someone actually taped a game involving Johnson?? Image

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

east hockey wrote:
Pioneerprideguy wrote:
youngblood08 wrote:
Someone actually taped a game involving Johnson?? Image

Lee
I'm sending it to America's Funniest Videos! :lol:
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

This was a fun game to watch. Stillwater players seemed to have more speed and strength than Rapids. Rapids was better coached. They passed the puck well, especially for the first game, and played the body well. Stillwater would have increased their scoring chances signifcantly if they would have passed the puck more. Rapids doesn't seem to have that D1 player who can be the difference in a close game. They should compete with most good AA teams, but will probably end up on the short end of a lot of one goal games.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

greenway1969 wrote:This was a fun game to watch. Stillwater players seemed to have more speed and strength than Rapids. Rapids was better coached. They passed the puck well, especially for the first game, and played the body well. Stillwater would have increased their scoring chances signifcantly if they would have passed the puck more. Rapids doesn't seem to have that D1 player who can be the difference in a close game. They should compete with most good AA teams, but will probably end up on the short end of a lot of one goal games.
Nice anaylsis. Agree with you that GR moves the puck well. GR PP movement was getting stronger as the game went on. Season is young and the GR boys will win a few of those games this year. Your guys blocked quite a few shots from our D not to mention the ones we put over the net. Who knows our player doesn't break his arm on the first shift and a certian GR player is suited up, who knows what would have happened.

But it was an exciting finish.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

youngblood08 wrote:
greenway1969 wrote:This was a fun game to watch. Stillwater players seemed to have more speed and strength than Rapids. Rapids was better coached. They passed the puck well, especially for the first game, and played the body well. Stillwater would have increased their scoring chances signifcantly if they would have passed the puck more. Rapids doesn't seem to have that D1 player who can be the difference in a close game. They should compete with most good AA teams, but will probably end up on the short end of a lot of one goal games.
Nice anaylsis. Agree with you that GR moves the puck well. GR PP movement was getting stronger as the game went on. Season is young and the GR boys will win a few of those games this year. Your guys blocked quite a few shots from our D not to mention the ones we put over the net. Who knows our player doesn't break his arm on the first shift and a certian GR player is suited up, who knows what would have happened.

But it was an exciting finish.
Seriously someone broke their arm? Jokes have a tendency to go over my head so apologies.