Will Benik Break his scoring record?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will he break his goal scoring record?

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 56

wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:14 pm

nipe 6 wrote:You guys just dont get it do you
I think you're the one that doesn't seem to get that most people realize how overrated he is.

HSHockeywatcher has a good summary, and makes a good point on how a player should develop.

But it still doesn't really change the face that Benik wouldn't be an explosive powerhouse if he played for a Top 5 AA team.

TellItHowItIs

Post by TellItHowItIs » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:27 pm

We will get a good sense of his talent as St Francis plays Forest Lake and Possibly Andover in a Holiday Tournament. Both very respectable teams in there conference and Section 7AA

nipe 6

Post by nipe 6 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:50 pm

TellItHowItIs wrote:We will get a good sense of his talent as St Francis plays Forest Lake and Possibly Andover in a Holiday Tournament. Both very respectable teams in there conference and Section 7AA
Ya, the Forest Lake and possible Andover matchup should give us an idea...not his commitment to St. Cloud or anything that isnt saying much... Neither of those teams are in their conference by the way just section.

Hankya

Post by Hankya » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Simply put...........no. And compated to what? Give me a break!

nipe 6

Post by nipe 6 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Hankya wrote:Simply put...........no. And compated to what? Give me a break!
What to you mean "compated to what?" If you mean compared, it would be compared to his single season goal record for minnesota hockey which he owns.

Cornbread

Post by Cornbread » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:28 am

at Coon Rapids
at East Ridge
Cambridge-Isanti
at Princeton
vs Virginia / Mountain Iron-Buhl
at Monticello / Annandale / Maple Lake
vs Irondale
at St. Louis Park
vs Mora / Hinckley-Finlayson

Are all these teams powder puffs? Just asking.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Cornbread wrote:at Coon Rapids - YES
at East Ridge - YES
Cambridge-Isanti - YES
at Princeton - MEH
vs Virginia / Mountain Iron-Buhl - NO, but they're not as good as they've been in the past
at Monticello / Annandale / Maple Lake - YES
vs Irondale - YES
at St. Louis Park - YES
vs Mora / Hinckley-Finlayson - YES

Are all these teams powder puffs? Just asking.
St. Francis's schedule going out is quite a bit tougher...

12/28/2009 Forest Lake - good matchup
01/07/2010 Chisago Lakes - good matchup
01/09/2010 Totino-Grace - tough test
01/12/2010 Robbinsdale Cooper - cakewalk
01/16/2010 Spring Lake Park - tough test
01/23/2010 Benilde-SM (No. 8 AA) - massacre
01/26/2010 Irondale - cakewalk
01/28/2010 Bloomington Kennedy - good matchup
01/30/2010 St. Louis Park - cakewalk
02/01/2010 Chisago Lakes - good matchup
02/06/2010 Totino-Grace - tough test
02/09/2010 Robbinsdale Cooper - cakewalk
02/12/2010 Spring Lake Park - tough test
02/16/2010 Benilde-SM (No. 8 AA) - massacre

The remaining schedule is why I said he can't keep up the record breaking pace, but the overall schedule will certainly look more respectable by the end of the season. However, I don't think they'll do better than 7-7 the rest of the way out... probably more like 6-8.

The point I'd like to make is that if any of you haters think St. Francis could do better with Joey playing more defense and floating a lot less... you're delusional. The point is, Joey is doing what he needs to do for his team to win. So what do you want the kid to do?

The other part is, some of you haters think he's not D1 material because his stats are inflated. Some of you think he's D1 material because his stats are awesome. The truth is... HE IS D1 MATERIAL BECAUSE A D1 COACH OFFERED HIM A SCHOLARSHIP... PERIOD.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:29 pm

The Exiled One wrote:The truth is... HE IS D1 MATERIAL BECAUSE A D1 COACH OFFERED HIM A SCHOLARSHIP... PERIOD.
Hard to argue with this....good point. With all of the strong feelings expressed here on one side or the other, it will be very interesting to follow his progress after he moves on from high school.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:27 pm

I don’t know if it is so much people “hating” as it is recognizing the reality that the record isn’t worth hyping when you really don’t play much of a schedule on the way to achieving it.

The scoring record stuff makes for a nice foot note on a player bio but most people have overblown stats in HS hockey over the years anyway.

nipe 6

Post by nipe 6 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:35 pm

How many points would the kid need to score to get respect? He stayed in his home town throughout high school and I give him alot of respect for that. But seriously would he have to put up 200 points for people to give him respect? Hanowski and Festler were putting up similar number to Benik, against comparable competition while they were playing with much better linemates. Everyone loved them I just don't see the difference.

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Who says every player given a D1 offer is D1 material?? Coaches have never made mistakes? He dissappears pretty fast when he faces tougher opponents.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:23 pm

youngblood08 wrote:Who says every player given a D1 offer is D1 material?? Coaches have never made mistakes? He dissappears pretty fast when he faces tougher opponents.
St. Francis disappears pretty fast when facing tougher opponents. His name isn't Ditka... he can't do it all by himself.

D1 coaches are the only people who put their careers on the line when making decisions on which kids to offer D1 scholarships to. Do they make mistakes? Sure, but considering their levels of experience, track records, and degree of investment in the outcomes, I'd take their opinions over any of the posters' on this message board.

GP, it's not the scoring record haters I take issue with, it's the "he will fail at the next level" haters.

nipe, it's not about the points to me. I'm already on the record claiming I don't think he'll break it, even though I think he's a better player this year than last.

Mr Hockey

Joey and the Saints

Post by Mr Hockey » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:36 am

All I know is that he may have single-handedly saved hockey in Saint Francis. When the Saints traveled the 40 minutes south to play Totino Grace last year they brought about 400 fans with them compared to the Totino Grace's 100 or so. Many games at East Bethel Ice Arena are packed when before you could hear a lone cricket.

He has young kids in the Cedar, East Bethel, and the Saint Francis Area deflating their basketballs and lacing up their skates and that is what is good for our sport.

Whatever you say negative about Joey, I can say 100 things positive about what he does for the Saints. I wish him well. The program also has T.J. Belisle and youngster Zach Foesch on the squad so the Saints could be good for at least the next three years. Programs like this moving in the right direction are whats good for the sport that we all love. When a program from a traditionally weaker program finally get better that is good for everyone!!!

crazy carl

Post by crazy carl » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 am

wblhockeyfan8 wrote:Why isn't there an overrated poll option?
how can you say he is overrated? he is a C ranked pro scout. do you think they dont know what they are doing?

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:11 am

CJ Franklin from FLake outscored Benik - 4 goals to 2. Is SCSU calling yet?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:22 pm

effort wrote:Its extremely funny listening to the know it alls! If Benik leaves everybodys pissed because another great (17) year old left High School Hockey. Benik stays he gets ripped on. This kids is the really deal. He does play with elite players. People seem to forget he played for the Advanced 17s. With leddy, Bugstead and more. He lead the team in points. The critics that bark about benik probably don't have a kid going to play division 1 and are just jealous. If you think his schedule is weak move up their and play in their conference so your kid can play division 1 hockey. If the conference is so weak why doesn't everybody have those kinda points? More power to the kids that stay and finish their High School careers and stay were they Grew up.
I was reading through and noticed the" lead the 17's in scoring". Anyone have the old stats to back it up? I tend to think that you could take any of the top 5 players in the state and they would receive the same treatment in Beniks skates.

Lakeviewing

Re: Joey and the Saints

Post by Lakeviewing » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:19 am

This is really great, a home town kid playing at the home ice to inspire kids to stay and play with their home town. I am all for this, but the play at the next level of play, we will see.
Mr Hockey wrote:All I know is that he may have single-handedly saved hockey in Saint Francis. When the Saints traveled the 40 minutes south to play Totino Grace last year they brought about 400 fans with them compared to the Totino Grace's 100 or so. Many games at East Bethel Ice Arena are packed when before you could hear a lone cricket.

He has young kids in the Cedar, East Bethel, and the Saint Francis Area deflating their basketballs and lacing up their skates and that is what is good for our sport.

Whatever you say negative about Joey, I can say 100 things positive about what he does for the Saints. I wish him well. The program also has T.J. Belisle and youngster Zach Foesch on the squad so the Saints could be good for at least the next three years. Programs like this moving in the right direction are whats good for the sport that we all love. When a program from a traditionally weaker program finally get better that is good for everyone!!!

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:46 am

MrBoDangles wrote:I was reading through and noticed the" lead the 17's in scoring". Anyone have the old stats to back it up? I tend to think that you could take any of the top 5 players in the state and they would receive the same treatment in Beniks skates.
Actually, he was 2nd on his team in scoring.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:49 am

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:08 am

The Exiled One wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:I was reading through and noticed the" lead the 17's in scoring". Anyone have the old stats to back it up? I tend to think that you could take any of the top 5 players in the state and they would receive the same treatment in Beniks skates.
Thank you

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:11 am

He sounds like a good kid.

Lakeviewing

Good kid or not.

Post by Lakeviewing » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
The Benik will probably need to spend a year or two in juniors to bring his game back to a reality stage. Scoring gets a lot tougher at high levels of play.

MrBoDangles

Re: Good kid or not.

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Lakeviewing wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
The Benik will probably need to spend a year or two in juniors to bring his game back to a reality stage. Scoring gets a lot tougher at high levels of play.
Looks like there are some MN HS D-1 SIGNEES, on the USA event rosters, that will have to work on their scoring more than him.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
Interesting to see how the MN boys did on the different teams

sriverhockey

Post by sriverhockey » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:06 am

Yes he was offered a Scholarship to SCSU, but how much will he get...D1 Hockey programs are only give 15 a year to give to 25 or so boy's.(compared to Football's 75-80) So usually only the top lines get full rides and the rest get to haggle over books,meal tickets, and maybe tuition. I was able to watch him play twice while he was with the OWL's (a Tier III jr A. league) and it was quite funny to hear his coach yelling at him to get his a** back and play defense over and over again. He needs to grow as well, as he was getting man handled by larger (and older) boy's in the junior ranks, not to mention better players than he. If he can't take the pounding at the USHL or NAHL level (45-50 games), you'll probably see the scholarship offer be revoked (It's happend before) I have a son in the NAHL and going from H.S. to Juniors is a big jump. practice everyday and the travel not to mention the level of play every single game (as well as practice making sure you make the cut to play each game). His season is coming to a close and he's mentally and physically ready for the break of summer.