Mr. Hockey Finalists

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

clutterbuck22

Mr. Hockey Finalists

Post by clutterbuck22 »

*Mark Alt, D, Cretin-Derham Hall (Minnesota)
*Joey Benik, F, St. Francis (St. Cloud State)
*Nick Bjugstad, F, Blaine (Minnesota)
*Cal Decowski, F, Andover (uncommitted)
*Max Gardiner, F, Minnetonka (Minnesota)
*Caleb Herbert, F, Bloomington Jefferson (Minnesota-Duluth)
*Justin Holl, D, Minnetonka (Minnesota)
*Christian Isakson, F, St. Thomas Academy (Minnesota)
*Adam Krause, F, Hermantown (Minn.-Duluth)
*Brock Nelson, F, Warroad (North Dakota)

What do you guys think of the list and who should win it? On paper, it looks like it should be a very good season for the U next season.
High Flyer

Re: Mr. Hockey Finalists

Post by High Flyer »

clutterbuck22 wrote:*Mark Alt, D, Cretin-Derham Hall (Minnesota)

What do you guys think of the list and who should win it? On paper, it looks like it should be a very good season for the U next season.
Well, it’s sad to say, but the class “A” guys just seem to get looked over when it comes to this award. Not saying I agree, just stating the facts.

Based on that, of the remaining players listed, the ones that have impressed me the most would be Bjugstad and Holl. I think which everyone one of these two can manage to finish strong with their teams in state will be the winner. No guareentees either teams will even make it to state.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

The Tonka boys will/should be at the top of the pack. I like Decowski personally. Brock Nelson would be another good choice. My favorites...

1. Decowski
2. Holl
3. Nelson
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

My guess at the final five.

Joey Benik, F, St. Francis (St. Cloud State)
Nick Bjugstad, F, Blaine (Minnesota)
Max Gardiner, F, Minnetonka (Minnesota)
Adam Krause, F, Hermantown (Minn.-Duluth)
Brock Nelson, F, Warroad (North Dakota)
theoneandonly1

Post by theoneandonly1 »

How did Alt make this list, am I missing something? Is he that good defensively? 9pts in 19 games just doesn't seem to fit.
moose27

Post by moose27 »

[quote="theoneandonly1"]How did Alt make this list, am I missing something? Is he that good defensively? 9pts in 19 games just doesn't seem to fit.[/quote]

Because he has committed to the UofM.. DUH.. Why is Gardiner on the list? He has missed a significant chunk of the season due to injury. Not questioning his talent but you can't miss that amount of time and be considered. You have Bjugstad on there i get it i really do but why no Rau if you are going to put a junior on there? Rau by far has had the most significant season statistically in the state. EP's schedule is second to none. Mr.Hockey isn't about who is projected to be the next NHL great from MN it should be based on your talents in HS. Some other kids i would rather see on that list.
pondpucker13

Post by pondpucker13 »

moose27 wrote:
theoneandonly1 wrote:How did Alt make this list, am I missing something? Is he that good defensively? 9pts in 19 games just doesn't seem to fit.

Because he has committed to the UofM.. DUH.. Why is Gardiner on the list? He has missed a significant chunk of the season due to injury. Not questioning his talent but you can't miss that amount of time and be considered. You have Bjugstad on there i get it i really do but why no Rau if you are going to put a junior on there? Rau by far has had the most significant season statistically in the state. EP's schedule is second to none. Mr.Hockey isn't about who is projected to be the next NHL great from MN it should be based on your talents in HS. Some other kids i would rather see on that list.
Bjugstad is on the list because he is accelerating his HS education to play at the U next year. This technically makes him a senior while Rau is still a junior.
I get older they stay the same age, alright alright
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

EP's schedule is not second to none because of the poor teams in the conference. Minnetonka and Edina both have great schedules, I would also include Moorhead in the group of most difficult schedules. As of Jan 9th their schedule was 10th on this site and they only play 6 ranked teams in their last 15 games.

With all this said though...My pick to win it is Justin Holl. I really think he is having a breakout season. Justin getting 16 goals in a schedule like they play is pretty impressive. My 2nd choice is Bjugstad, and my 3rd choice is a tie between Gardiner and Nelson. Gardiner may not deserve to win, because he will only play 17 games. However, he is on pace to have over 40 points in those 17 games.

1. Holl
2. Bjugstad
3. Nelson/Gardiner
Rounding out the top 5 is Decowski
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

I've guessed the last 3 correctly and I'm pretty sure Nick Bjugstad will win this. How can a Tonka defensemen win it? They're all good. I don't even think Holl is the best on his team. Class A players have zero chance. Alt, Benik, Decowski, and Herbert all have slim chances. For me it comes down to Gardiner and Bjugstad. Gardiner being hurt won't matter.

Bjugstad is the best player on this list, his father played for the U and the North Stars, he's committed to the U, he's carried this team since he was a freshman, and he's the youngest player on the list.

By the way....Alt and no Prochno or Faust? Absolutely ridiculous. This award is becoming a joke. I would have put 3 or 4 Minnetonka players on the ballot. Joe Faust has 37pts, Prochno has 35 and Alt has 9? Doesn't make any sense. They should just call it Mr. Gopher.
davinci

Post by davinci »

I know he plays single A and defense. But, how does Ben Marshall get left off this list?
Go-Wild!

Post by Go-Wild! »

Marshall is only a Junior
AV PUCK 17

Post by AV PUCK 17 »

Follow the Puck says Decowski committed to UMD
Go-Wild!

Post by Go-Wild! »

AV PUCK 17 wrote:Follow the Puck says Decowski committed to UMD
There was also an announcement was posted on this site ....

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22756
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

As for putting 3 or 4 from one team, you have to consider that voters are probably not going to favor that many players from any one team. From what was researched elsewhere (not by me), there has never been one team to have three or more Mr. Hockey candidates in one year. Maybe Edina might have last year if Budish had played but I guess two as much as has ever been from any one team.

With the depth this state produces, it is only natural that some quality players get left out of the top 10 every year and some arguments can be made against a few that do make it in the final 10.
slapstkhound

Post by slapstkhound »

clutterbuck22 wrote:*Mark Alt, D, Cretin-Derham Hall (Minnesota)

Mark Alt.....really??? Somebody is really pushing him.
knowitall

Post by knowitall »

Prochno from Tonka got screwed.
theoneandonly1

Post by theoneandonly1 »

Prochno,Faust,Pauluk,Fulton or Skalbeck in my mind would all have been better choices than Alt. As for the winner my vote is Nelson.
BrainerdHockey

Post by BrainerdHockey »

Nelson or Decowski hopefully win the rest is kinda a joke maybe bjugstad, wheres Prochno
MNSportsRube

Post by MNSportsRube »

Faust is a great player and should definitely be considered...Staying with the Jaguars Caleb should be in the top 3 in my opinion...phenominal player
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

Putting Mark Alt on this list is just offensive.

I'd probably be pushing for Bjugstad or Gardiner.
Always celly hard.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

bjugstad will probably take this if his team makes state
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
davinci

Post by davinci »

Go-Wild! wrote:Marshall is only a Junior
Thanks
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

sachishi4 wrote:bjugstad will probably take this if his team makes state
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think the final voting is completed right after the regular season is done.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

wbmd wrote:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think the final voting is completed right after the regular season is done.
I know it's before the state tournament, at least; not sure on the exact date.

Always seems a bit odd to me that they vote before all the games are over. Even worse is the Brimsek trophy, which has already been given out. You'd think they'd want to see how top goalies do under the pressure of sections. But I digress.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

wbmd wrote:
I thought it was done after sections, but maybe not. Even if it isnt, I see him winning it.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20