Blais to take over the Gophers next season?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

theref

Blais to take over the Gophers next season?

Post by theref » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:48 am

Seems to be a lot of talk about this. Thoughts anyone?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 am

Definitely a posssiblity, but if Tim Brewster can get an extension, I don't see how Maturi could justify firing Lucia.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 pm

We can only hope and [-o<

theref

Post by theref » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:37 pm

BodyShots wrote:We can only hope and [-o<
Agreed. Don did some nice things early, but it may be time to move on and Dean is pretty successful where ever he goes.

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:37 pm

mulefarm wrote:Definitely a posssiblity, but if Tim Brewster can get an extension, I don't see how Maturi could justify firing Lucia.
Minnesota will never have a top football program. Brewster was extended because his players aren't embarasing the U off the field. The hockey team is/ should be held to a higher standard. Using the Brewster comparison shows just how bad the Gophers are falling.

wingmaster

Post by wingmaster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:34 pm

The football team is actually better to watch than the hockey team lately. That is not saying much

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 pm

wingmaster wrote:The football team is actually better to watch than the hockey team lately. That is not saying much
I think it says a lot. The silence from the Gopher faithful says a lot too. Where are all the Dons defenders screaming for him to get a contract extension?

newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:13 pm

I do not believe it is time to run him out YET... That being said, the end of the season is when the best hockey should be played. Last night was a big test for them and tonight will be as well. Loving Cepis, a scrappy little guy who will go anywhere and do anything to get the job done may be just what the rodents need. I miss the scrappiness they used to have. Growing up watching them was fun but of late it seems to be more about the "skill" and not the "want/scrappy" go-getters of the past. That being said, maybe recruiting some of that could get something going. Also, when was the last time we saw a defensemen brought in for being just that, a defensemen? Love Ness but getting beat on a pinch at blue line (less than a 80% chance of getting to it) is not what defense is about...

Dont write off Don just yet, its not over. Get a few big wins and they can gain confidence, momentum and possible a chance at some playoff games. As we saw in the past, a freak bounce off a shin pad CAN happen in the post season.

breakout

Post by breakout » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:06 pm

theref wrote:
BodyShots wrote:We can only hope and [-o<
Agreed. Don did some nice things early, but it may be time to move on and Dean is pretty successful where ever he goes.
OK, tell me who has the better track record? Although his recent triumph at the World Jr. is impressive, I am not sure he is a savior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Lucia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Blais

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:10 pm

How about those Rodents? Will they change coaches?

bronx18

Post by bronx18 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:23 am

Nobody cares what wikipedia has to say, Lucia is doing nothing with the Gophers right now, lose him and pick up Blaise would be a gift from god right now. I'd like to see the Sioux vs. Gopher rivalry after that coaching change for the Gophers.

defense

Re: Blais to take over the Gophers next season?

Post by defense » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:51 am

theref wrote:Seems to be a lot of talk about this. Thoughts anyone?
NO. Not according to what I've been reading in the STrib. The Gophers suck, but I think he gets a year or two. I'm not saying it is the correct move, but it may be what it is. He has won two NCAA titles, along with league and tournement championships. He should be able to do more with the players he gets, but maybe the Gophers are a victim of their own success: They did so great in his first years here that now we all expect it. That is a good thing.
There is no real excuse for the last few years though. I sure hope someone has some sort of plan.

drop the puck

Post by drop the puck » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Is Lucia healthy enough to withstand the rigors of running a top 10 DI program?

breakout

Post by breakout » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm

bronx18 wrote:Nobody cares what wikipedia has to say, Lucia is doing nothing with the Gophers right now, lose him and pick up Blaise would be a gift from god right now. I'd like to see the Sioux vs. Gopher rivalry after that coaching change for the Gophers.
Some people must care about wikipedia says, that's why they have it :roll:

Unless Lucia decides differently, I guarantee Don is back next year. He has the number one recruiting class in the nation coming in. How many other major college coaches in any sport can do that? Answer: very few.

I am a huge Gopher fan. Trust me, I am not happy with the recent results.

IMO, fans can be optimistic of the younger players they have and the recruits they have coming in.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

He will be back. He better find a good person to coach the defense.

defense

Post by defense » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 pm

breakout wrote:
bronx18 wrote:Nobody cares what wikipedia has to say, Lucia is doing nothing with the Gophers right now, lose him and pick up Blaise would be a gift from god right now. I'd like to see the Sioux vs. Gopher rivalry after that coaching change for the Gophers.

Unless Lucia decides differently, I guarantee Don is back next year. He has the number one recruiting class in the nation coming in. How many other major college coaches in any sport can do that? Answer: very few.

IMO, fans can be optimistic of the younger players they have and the recruits they have coming in.
I think the better question is: Can he put all of his future NHLers together to form a team as dominant as they should be?? He hasn't been able to the last few years. I will give him some time. He did win two NCAA titles and too much talent is a good problem to have.

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:17 pm

breakout wrote:

Could you point out for me where to find all the rankings for recruiting classes? I checked Wikpedia but they only had football and basketball. Thanks for any help.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Can he take all that talent and make them into a team? Hasn't really shown that yet.

bronx18

Post by bronx18 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:49 pm

mulefarm wrote:Can he take all that talent and make them into a team? Hasn't really shown that yet.
Nope, not at all!

gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 am

The problem with the Gophers is Lucia. Lucia's style of coaching doesn not fit well within the WCHA. The Gophers are unable to match the physical play of the better teams in the WCHA like UND, Wisonsin, Denver, etc. . ., and they get out of their game trying to prove they can during the games. The players Minnesota recruits, for the most part, are small skilled players. It might work on the olympic sized rink the U plays on, but they get beat up on the NHL sized rinks, and they even struggle at home. Vancuver wasted its #1 pick on Schroeder. I think he is a very good college player, but that will not translate into the NHL. He has even struggled this year. Ness has not lived up to expectations. Kids are leaving the program because of Lucia. Lucia is being critisized by NHL execs. #1 recruiting class in the Country?? Hardly, he can't even get the best kids in Minnesota this year. Check out UND's recruiting class. Blaise would bring a different mentality to the players that they have been lacking. Blaise will teach these kids a very physical style of hockey that will bode well in the WCHA, and he will recruit outside Minnesota. Then they can get rid of their label of being called Cupcake U on the ice. Blaise would be a godsend to the U's program.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:50 am

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Could you point out for me where to find all the rankings for recruiting classes?
http://www.collegehockey247.rivals.com/ ... ID=1044807

A new site on Rivals dedicated to college hockey. Granted, the writer mentioned one or two guys that won't be on campus next fall for the Gophers but he is a guy that does follow recruiting and has a relatively good feel for the incoming players.

He is a Michigan guy so it must have been tough for him to put the Gophers ahead of Wolverines. ;)

There is no doubt that recruiting the talent is not the problem. That is moving as strong as ever.

I have gone back and forth on whether I want a total staff change or just the assistants. Lucia is a very good coach but even the very best need a change of scenery at some point because the messages don't get through to the players (i.e. Jacques Lemaire).

I do think Lucia is more likely to return than not. I don't have a problem with that if there is a change or two on the coaching staff. I think Grant Potulny needs more time to develop his coaching skills (like maybe being a head coach on the USHL level). He has the personality and leadership to eventually be a top flight coach. I just don't think he is ready for this level though. Although it does sound like he does a good job on the scouting, etc. To me, the biggest issue is John Hill. He just needs to go. I think Lucia would be doing himself a disservice if he sticks around and just maintains the status quo.

Puckguy19

From Reusse on twitter

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:45 pm

"Plugged in U sources say the Gophers have called Blais about replacing tDon. Blais has told Minnesota "I don't want any open job search, I just want the job if you are going to give it to me. None of the BS."

Virg Foss (GF Herald) back this up with an open letter to Blais asking that he not accept. :evil:

northwoods oldtimer

Gophers

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 pm

They have to make a move. That program is a laughing stock in College hockey right now and 3 years of underachieving SHOULD NOT cut it. It would not in any private sector that is for certain. You can no longer win with 18 year olds in your line up. The Junior kids coming in are strong and can play at a higher level than an 18 year old fresh out of high school. It is men against boys.

CanadianTuxedo

Re: Gophers

Post by CanadianTuxedo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:They have to make a move. That program is a laughing stock in College hockey right now and 3 years of underachieving SHOULD NOT cut it. It would not in any private sector that is for certain. You can no longer win with 18 year olds in your line up. The Junior kids coming in are strong and can play at a higher level than an 18 year old fresh out of high school. It is men against boys.
Amen

clutterbuck22

Re: Gophers

Post by clutterbuck22 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:26 pm

CanadianTuxedo wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:They have to make a move. That program is a laughing stock in College hockey right now and 3 years of underachieving SHOULD NOT cut it. It would not in any private sector that is for certain. You can no longer win with 18 year olds in your line up. The Junior kids coming in are strong and can play at a higher level than an 18 year old fresh out of high school. It is men against boys.
Amen
Just saw something online that said if the Gophers don't make the frozen four next year, it will be Lucia's final year with the gophers. The frozen four is held at the Xcel next year so could see that happening if they don't make it next year.