tv coverage

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

tv coverage

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Is it me or does it seem like all the "locked" cameras (distant shots) are doing all the coverage? Every once in a while you get a close up (which still looks like a "locked" camera zooming in close), and the handheld cameras are essential to any good high school athletic coverage.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Goldfishdude

Re: tv coverage

Post by Goldfishdude » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:Is it me or does it seem like all the "locked" cameras (distant shots) are doing all the coverage? Every once in a while you get a close up (which still looks like a "locked" camera zooming in close), and the handheld cameras are essential to any good high school athletic coverage.
Channel 45 doesn't have the equipment budget in place to allocate for HS sports.... The fact that they just jumped on board for HD is remarkable, considering Stanley Hubbard, CEO of Hubbard Broadcasting and KSTP, is one of the pioneers of the satellite digital TV - aka - partners in Direct TV...

Red Ice

Post by Red Ice » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Not shown in HD up North. Very poor compared to FSN HD or Vs.

Bucky

Post by Bucky » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:21 pm

In Rochester, the games arent being broadcast in HD either. The most annoying part is the commericals start early and run long so you end up missing alot of faceoffs and the next 20 to 30 seconds of play. Oh well, at least they are carrying the tournament. :)

MNRinkRat

Post by MNRinkRat » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:48 am

I have an HD tv so if its not broadcasted in HD the tv brings out all the imperfections. In other words it looks like crap.

I guess I can still watch it though which is good.
Let's Play Hockey

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:11 am

My HD TV isn't a 1080, and it's an older LCD rear projection, but I have Comcast Cable, and with the HD cable box, it's within the HD channels like WCCO, KARE, etc..

It definitely is a digital picture, but I don't know if it's true HD... but apparently they should be broadcasting Wild games and Twins gme in HD... I just know my signal on the HD channel is better than on the original channel..

wishock

Post by wishock » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:21 am

I know it sounds like I'm whinging, but try watching it online. About the worst feed I have seen for online video, poor resolution and much of the time it just quits working. Will the day ever come back when 45 won't be covering the tourny and those of us from outside Minnesota can watch the greatest sports event of the year?

watchdog

Post by watchdog » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:33 am

you guys should try watching the games on tv up north. think of any nightmare you have ever had x by 5 and your getting warm!!!

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42 am

watchdog wrote:you guys should try watching the games on tv up north. think of any nightmare you have ever had x by 5 and your getting warm!!!
That, and I am sure yours is closed captioned with English subtitles, since it's probably broadcast in French Canadien being up north, eh, hoser?? :wink:

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:45 am

It's thoughtful management invested some money into HD, but the "human interest" stories and between-period coverage in general is pretty generic. Well, at least their not running the Spehar piece every few hours now.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:01 pm

just said last night at midnight there were still 100,000 households watching the game. Unreal
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

bronco2828

Post by bronco2828 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:37 pm

As I have been beating the dead horse. Let FSN take over the broadcasting. The filters or lighting on the cameras were horrible. It was really hard to see the puck let alone follow it. Plus they didn't have a roaming camera in the fan sections. With 100,000 households watching someones making money. Beside if the airing was worse you'd still have all the Minnesota Hockey Fans watching, It's what your supposed to do this weekend.

Red Ice

Post by Red Ice » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:47 am

bronco2828 wrote:As I have been beating the dead horse. Let FSN take over the broadcasting. The filters or lighting on the cameras were horrible. It was really hard to see the puck let alone follow it. Plus they didn't have a roaming camera in the fan sections. With 100,000 households watching someones making money. Beside if the airing was worse you'd still have all the Minnesota Hockey Fans watching, It's what your supposed to do this weekend.

FSN...FSN...FSN!!!! Please

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:04 am

Goldfishdude wrote:My HD TV isn't a 1080, and it's an older LCD rear projection, but I have Comcast Cable, and with the HD cable box, it's within the HD channels like WCCO, KARE, etc..

It definitely is a digital picture, but I don't know if it's true HD... but apparently they should be broadcasting Wild games and Twins gme in HD... I just know my signal on the HD channel is better than on the original channel..
Probably the best picture we've ever had for a state high school tourney, but it was definitely not true HD - looked like the feed was compressed or they were using some non-high def cameras. Not nearly the quality you saw compared to say when NBC televised the Olympics, but compared to the tourney's "olden days" it was a huge improvement.

TourneyTime

Post by TourneyTime » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Anybody know where I can find the video of the highlights played after the Class AA Championship game? I caught most of it that night and thought it looked pretty cool. I was hoping to watch it all. I believe it was to the song "This Town" No luck on youtube....

wingmaster

Post by wingmaster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:50 pm

bronco2828 wrote:As I have been beating the dead horse. Let FSN take over the broadcasting. The filters or lighting on the cameras were horrible. It was really hard to see the puck let alone follow it. Plus they didn't have a roaming camera in the fan sections. With 100,000 households watching someones making money. Beside if the airing was worse you'd still have all the Minnesota Hockey Fans watching, It's what your supposed to do this weekend.
How much money does someone make off of 100,000 households? This might be in the running for the dumbest paragraph in 2010. i do not expect a response from the falls.