Frattin Hit

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

breakout

Post by breakout »

dakotakid wrote:My point is and was that the hit was legal.And no I dont want anyone getting hurt, but it is a rough game and players do get hurt. That does'nt mean the hit was illegal.
You need to take off your SUE glasses and get out of the wind (no trees humor).

Frattin teed Wehrs up from a long way out and destroyed his head and left his feet in doing so.

The hit was absolutely illegal and wreckless as determined by the on-site horrible WCHA officiating crew. After review, WCHA Commissioner Bruce McLeod handed out a one game suspension.

Maybe you should learn the rules :lol:
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

breakout wrote:
dakotakid wrote:My point is and was that the hit was legal.And no I dont want anyone getting hurt, but it is a rough game and players do get hurt. That does'nt mean the hit was illegal.

Frattin teed Wehrs up from a long way out and destroyed his head and left his feet in doing so.

The hit was absolutely illegal and wreckless as determined by the on-site horrible WCHA officiating crew. After review, WCHA Commissioner Bruce McLeod handed out a one game suspension.

All the reason you need to bring back fighting in the league again. Frattin would think twice about laying that wicked hit. If he did it would be answered in the old school days....for sure. Refs cannot police all of it and that is why you need fighting in the game.
breakout

Post by breakout »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
breakout wrote:

All the reason you need to bring back fighting in the league again. Frattin would think twice about laying that wicked hit. If he did it would be answered in the old school days....for sure. Refs cannot police all of it and that is why you need fighting in the game.
Agree with you. Players cannot be fined and the suspensions are sometimes less than appropriate. An example of that is the hit Marvin placed on Chay Genoway. The talented Genoway could be out of hockey forever because of the pasting of his head into the glass by Marvin. I hear Genoway is having troubles reading ...... not sure if that is accurate.

Without severe consequences players can target top players of other teams.

Wasn't there a player kicked out of the OHL for seriously hurting another player?
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

breakout wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
breakout wrote: You need to take off your SUE glasses and get out of the wind (no trees humor).

Agree with you. Players cannot be fined and the suspensions are sometimes less than appropriate. An example of that is the hit Marvin placed on Chay Genoway. The talented Genoway could be out of hockey forever because of the pasting of his head into the glass by Marvin. I hear Genoway is having troubles reading ...... not sure if that is accurate.

Without severe consequences players can target top players of other teams.

Wasn't there a player kicked out of the OHL for seriously hurting another player?
Yes. Patrice Cormier. Suspended by the league for the remainder of the season. He was just traded to the Thrashers in the Kovalchuk deal. If you do a search he has a lot of dirty crap on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aplfhPu4iiU

The OHL has fighting and that didn't stop Cormier. He is a repeat offender.

Sorry Wehrs was hurt but I was hoping for a big hit on him. He is one of those, after the whistle, stick work guys. You say Frattin might not have ran him with a possible fight looming. Maybe he doesn't have to run him if he could have dropped with him earlier.
northwoods oldtimer

Hit

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

You say Frattin might not have ran him with a possible fight looming.
It is possible but we cannot make certain that is the case. My comment made about fighting is that it used to police up a lot of crap that occurs in the game today, not all of course as has been addressed here in the thread. My opinion is something precipitates a big hit like that in most games you just hate to be on the receiving end of it :wink:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I don't think a Gopher player has ever been in a fight. They really stuck together and backed Wehrs.
dakotakid

Post by dakotakid »

breakout wrote:

I quoted the rule earlyer in this thread and I stand by it. Bruce McLeod is great, you got to love the suspension on Lamoureux for not fighting, or was it for dropping his gloves,but that can't be because Marvin dropped his gloves first. McLeod is great is'nt he.
breakout

Post by breakout »

dakotakid wrote:
breakout wrote:

I quoted the rule earlyer in this thread and I stand by it. Bruce McLeod is great, you got to love the suspension on Lamoureux for not fighting, or was it for dropping his gloves,but that can't be because Marvin dropped his gloves first. McLeod is great is'nt he.
Lamoureux should have manned up and fought the guy who took out the Sue's best player ........... eh? That's how they do it in the NHL.
dakotakid

Post by dakotakid »

Not sure what you mean? Lamoureux did man up, all 5' 9 of him. Marvin can't keep taking out players and think know one is going to do any thing about it. And having your daddy call the Sioux coach and say you think someone might try to hurt your little boy, and your scared for his safty, does'nt fly in hockey. It only makes you look like a chicken s***.