Who's looking good and not so good for the 10-11 MJHL season

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hammer99

Who's looking good and not so good for the 10-11 MJHL season

Post by hammer99 »

any predictions as to who will be at the top and/or bottom of the league this year?
brandy38

Post by brandy38 »

Good: Icehawks, Lumberjacks
Bad: Crusaders, Flying Aces, Wildcats

just a guess
huville

Post by huville »

My prediction from the coaches and scouts in the league I have talked to:

Top 3:
Rochester (always good, didn't move many people on)
Granite City (could return 15 guys)
Hudson (alot of good players coming in, heard they're affiliated with a new NAHL team which will help)

Middle 3:
Owls (used all their tenders, depends who shows up)
Little Falls (new coaches are recruiting their tails off, but its hard to talk people into going into little falls)
Maple Grove (new staff has some good tenders, looks like they are trying to right the ship)

Bottom 2:
Northern Lights (new coaching staff, haven't been recruiting up til now)
Lakers (none of the vets will play for the new coaches which means they are trading everyone away for money. They need to get players in return if they are gonna compete)
mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 »

kind of quiet here...lol. Here's my predictions based on the camps I've seen and what I've heard.

1. Ice Hawks
2. Lumberjacks
3. Owls
4. Northern Lights
5. Flying Aces
6. Crusaders
7. Wildcats
8. Lakers

What happened to the lakers? Anyone have any details? It seemed like they were on the right track after last season.
huville

Post by huville »

You obviously don't hear much. The Lights have lost alot of guys to college and higher levels of junior hockey. They also only had like 30 guys at their main camp.
mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 »

[quote="huville"]You obviously don't hear much. The Lights have lost alot of guys to college and higher levels of junior hockey. They also only had like 30 guys at their main camp.[/quote]

Well I'm going to be honest, my sources aren't exactly the most reliable. If what you're saying is true I would put them much lower on the list, perhaps number 6. Assuming that their main camp was their only camp, and there wasn't an earlier camp where they trimmed their numbers from 50 to 30. Again I'm just predicting, I'm sure my list is not exactly how the standings will end up.

So far you're the only one I have heard from about the Lakers, is it really that bad of a situation? I had no idea they were in so much trouble, and if the Lights only manage to draw 30 kids to their tryout that cant be a good sign for a team like the Lakers. Especially if they have the last tryout in the whole league.
mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 »

[quote="huville"]My prediction from the coaches and scouts in the league I have talked to:

Top 3:
Rochester (always good, didn't move many people on)
Granite City (could return 15 guys)
Hudson (alot of good players coming in, heard they're affiliated with a new NAHL team which will help)

Middle 3:
Owls (used all their tenders, depends who shows up)
Little Falls (new coaches are recruiting their tails off, but its hard to talk people into going into little falls)
Maple Grove (new staff has some good tenders, looks like they are trying to right the ship)

Bottom 2:
Northern Lights (new coaching staff, haven't been recruiting up til now)
Lakers (none of the vets will play for the new coaches which means they are trading everyone away for money. They need to get players in return if they are gonna compete)[/quote]

Huville I also question what you've heard, I watched the lakers camp today and they looked like a possible contendor this season. They looked nothing like a last place team.
huville

Post by huville »

From what I have heard, they will not have many vets coming back. The whole durand situation really turned off a bunch of them at the end of last season. Many have been traded or just went to school. I know Essel went to Finlandia and Wynia to St. Thomas so they lost their top scorers.

It all really depends on how well Yoder recruited this summer. It's good to hear that they have some talent at their camp. BUT.. they will have a big learning curve with no veterans to show the younger guys how to play the junior hockey game. Could start out very slow and it all depends on the coaching to keep the guys focused.
mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 »

[quote="huville"]From what I have heard, they will not have many vets coming back. The whole durand situation really turned off a bunch of them at the end of last season. Many have been traded or just went to school. I know Essel went to Finlandia and Wynia to St. Thomas so they lost their top scorers.

It all really depends on how well Yoder recruited this summer. It's good to hear that they have some talent at their camp. BUT.. they will have a big learning curve with no veterans to show the younger guys how to play the junior hockey game. Could start out very slow and it all depends on the coaching to keep the guys focused.[/quote]

You were correct to say that the lakers wouldn't have any vets returning, they only had 2 former players show up for camp. Having said that I was very impressed with the talent of the players' they recruited. They looked much like a top level tier 3 team.
mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 »

This is what I hope will be a more accurate prediction:

1.Ice Hawks
2.Owls
3.Lumberjacks
4.Crusaders
5.Lakers
6.Flying Aces
7.Wildcats
8.Northern lights

Anyone else? Huville???
huville

Post by huville »

I would say this.

Granite City
Rochester
Hudson
Little Falls
Owls
Lakers
Wildcats
Lights
slapshot445

Post by slapshot445 »

Are we looking at another 5 or so win season for last place? Or do the Lights, Wildcats, and Lakers look like they can compete?
huville

Post by huville »

I would say all the bottom 3 teams will split their season series. Thats 9 wins a piece. Then whichever games they can steal from the teams ahead of them
Doubt It

Post by Doubt It »

1 - Ice Hawks
2 - Owls
3 - Lakers
4 - Lumberjacks
5 - Flying Aces
6 - Hudson
7 - Wildcats
8 - Northern Lights

I'm fairly confident in these rankings. 6 and 7 are close, and so is 2-4.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Caught a scrimmage tonight between the Owls and some Boston Jr team. The Owls looked to be mostly on the small side, but they also look like a very fast team. The lopsided score got the Boston boys a little frustrated..... Good fights.

No beer being that it was called a scrimmage :cry:
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

MrBoDangles wrote:Caught a scrimmage tonight between the Owls and some Boston Jr team. The Owls looked to be mostly on the small side, but they also look like a very fast team. The lopsided score got the Boston boys a little frustrated..... Good fights.

No beer being that it was called a scrimmage :cry:
Ice Hawks played the same team. Crushed them both times. Ice Hawks are looking very strong this year.