Need "experts" to assess video of a hit, quote in

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

scrappledog

Need "experts" to assess video of a hit, quote in

Post by scrappledog » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Hello,

I write high school sports in Maryland and am currently covering a team in the state playoffs. I'm looking to write a column involving a hit by a senior team captain, and would like to find quotable figures (coaches, officials, etc.) to view the video taken by a spectator and assess what kind of penalty they think should have been levied, if any.
Last edited by scrappledog on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

brandy38

Post by brandy38 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm

So who are you trying to put in hot water, eh? A coach, the player, or the referees? I find it hard to believe that any serious writer would use such a laughably bad analogy as you did.

scrappledog

Post by scrappledog » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:10 am

I'm not in the habit of publishing opinion pieces slamming teenagers. And actually I'm not throwing anyone "under the bus," I am just potentially interested in doing a follow up on a call in the midst of what turned out a tense, 4-3 conference championship. Said player, just named 2nd team all-state, eighth on his team in penalty minutes (and the rosters here are smaller than what you are probably accustomed to), chased an errant shot a pace behind a defender. Just behind goal, he gave the defender a shove, defender lost balance, crashed into glass. The only followthrough was attempt to reach puck; i.e. offensive player didn't crush the defender against the boards.

It was clearly a push from behind, and all seemed surprised at first when officials initially seemed to indicate a 2+10. Then realized they were dishing out a 5+10. For what looked to be a minor boarding. So the captain has to miss the state semifinal.

Perhaps my impression is wrong.

I have been a sportswriter for over a decade. I apologize for my earlier joke; I removed it, but from your response perhaps I'm in the wrong place.

Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:30 am

scrappledog wrote:but from your response perhaps I'm in the wrong place.
Correct. Opinionated yahoos can be found in Maryland too, right?

inthestands

Post by inthestands » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:36 pm

The only opinions that matter are that of the officials on the ice at the time of the infraction.

Past that, it really doesn't matter.

If there were issues with the call, coaches and or AD's can speak with the officiating association and get it squared away.