Holy Family 18-0 over ******

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wtbearlk1111

Holy Family 18-0 over ******

Post by wtbearlk1111 »

Real impressive 8) :D
Last edited by wtbearlk1111 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Happy for the team to get a nice confidence builder. But really? 18 goals? To me, that's unnecessary. Mankato East had 5 wins last year and they graduated 16 seniors....
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

And what is your point of posting this? 10 skaters, players not in normal positions, almost no varsity experience.....

you should be embarrassed for making light of the loss, these kids are doing the best the can, given the circumstances... i'd like to see you d better...
wtbearlk1111

Post by wtbearlk1111 »

This was posted to make a point of what not to do. Coaches can control this and I will post every 15+ margin this year . I may leave out who they beat, because that is not the emphasis of the post.

Holy Family should be ashamed.
blueblood

HF

Post by blueblood »

Tier 2 hockey at it's finest....
Play Like a Champion Today
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Pot callin' the Kettle Black ain't wtbearlk1111? Like beating Century 11-0 is a better example of sportsmanship. Maybe you should start with 10+ goal margins and worry about what your coach thinks is right. It's okay for the Bears to build the old stat sheet but no one else can.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

I am not going to go on about how wrong I think this is... But, after 11-12 goals no matter what the circumstances are, scoring should be avoided. Sportsmanship is very important to the game and for all of you out there who think, "Let the team continue to play hard and score at will" there are other ways of doing it. Play keep away and sit your best players. It's one game. Do what is necessary to practice good sportsmanship.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I agree about sitting the best players. Let the 3rd and 4th lines play the 2nd & 3rd period. But I think playing keep away shows less respect. Why not just have the losing team throw in the towel and skate off?
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

InigoMontoya wrote:I agree about sitting the best players. Let the 3rd and 4th lines play the 2nd & 3rd period. But I think playing keep away shows less respect. Why not just have the losing team throw in the towel and skate off?
Are you implying they shouldn't even be on the same ice rink as the winning team????
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

InigoMontoya wrote:I agree about sitting the best players. Let the 3rd and 4th lines play the 2nd & 3rd period. But I think playing keep away shows less respect. Why not just have the losing team throw in the towel and skate off?
I don't think you want to send a message to your players that when things aren't going your way, it's best to just quit.

Getting blown out happens to many in all different sports...., you just have to tell the players in the locker room afterwards to try and just forget about what happened and focus on preparing for the next opponent.

It's hard, but it's better than quitting.
itech22

Post by itech22 »

Yea this kind of score should never happen. You know right away if you are any kind of coach that the game is going to be a disaster. You can control the game throughout by playing different players and giving these kids the work that you would want them to have. I have seen games that the teams are so lopsided but the score would indicated otherwise such as 6-7 to 0. This was done by playing the 3rd and 4th lines heavily early on. Not after 10 or more goals. There is no value in this at all. It simply falls on a coach who knows what they are doing. Holy Family's coach doesn't know what he is doing.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

itech22 wrote:Yea this kind of score should never happen. You know right away if you are any kind of coach that the game is going to be a disaster. You can control the game throughout by playing different players and giving these kids the work that you would want them to have. I have seen games that the teams are so lopsided but the score would indicated otherwise such as 6-7 to 0. This was done by playing the 3rd and 4th lines heavily early on. Not after 10 or more goals. There is no value in this at all. It simply falls on a coach who knows what they are doing. Holy Family's coach doesn't know what he is doing.
I've heard of schools not dressing their top players when they are playing against obviously overmatched schools. Sit your top guys, play your 3rd and 4th liners as your top lines, start your #2 goalie and call-up a few JV players to give them that varsity experience.
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

starmvp wrote:Happy for the team to get a nice confidence builder. But really? 18 goals? To me, that's unnecessary. Mankato East had 5 wins last year and they graduated 16 seniors....
**11 wins
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

As an East player myself who was out there last night, I would like to say that we did not even consider for a second "throwing in the towel and skating off the ice". The entire team remained positive throughout the whole game and gave the best effort we could. We knew that it was gonna be a game like that but instead of giving up I thought my teammates did a great job of giving all of our effort and remaining positive. Playing a team like Holy Family was good for preparing us for the teams we will be more competitive this season. Also, Holy Family did put in their back-up goalie in the third, and they definitely played keep away, but that is almost more humiliating than continuing to play. Overall, it was a young, inexperienced team with ten skaters against a team of extremely fast and highly skilled players that should be playing teams that are much closer in skill level.
itech22

Post by itech22 »

I still think you need to start the game with your top players. But again epecially in this circumstance you as a coach know that your team is overwhelmingly in control early on. it didn't have to go down like this. Botch#3 your attitude in regards to this is outstanding. Of course you are not going to throw in the towel or do anything of the sort. However that goalie should have been in there at the beginning of the 2nd and the better players resting up alot for the next game and not padding stats out there. Like any other sport out there some coaches that just don't get it or mabye dont' want to.
Jackler

Post by Jackler »

Was not at this game, and dont pretend to know much about Holy Family hockey. Judging from the box score (which can from time to time be deceiving), I was surprised to see that what I think to be the 1st line for Holy Family racked up some pretty inpresive points in this game, including one player with 9 points!!
My question is, why are these players on the ice in the second period, much less scoring or assisting on goals number 15 and 16 in the third?
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

Why would they only dress 14 players? Do they not have a JV?
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

eastsideguy wrote:Why would they only dress 14 players? Do they not have a JV?
15 players is all we have. 3 are goalies and two are out with injury.
mj79

Post by mj79 »

A blowout is a blowout. It's part Of the game. You schedule games like this and it's bound to happen. Get over it.

Myself. When I was in hs I enjoyed watching good teams work over another team because it showcases the skills of the players.

Ie Marshall / east in 95

21-0

But then losing to denfeld 2-0 a month later

Then winning state

It's all just a part of the game. If you don't think it's sportsman like , go apply to be the new coach
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

BOTCH #3 wrote:
So you dont have a JV?
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

youngblood08 wrote:Pot callin' the Kettle Black ain't wtbearlk1111? Like beating Century 11-0 is a better example of sportsmanship. Maybe you should start with 10+ goal margins and worry about what your coach thinks is right. It's okay for the Bears to build the old stat sheet but no one else can.
haha, you really hate WBL don't you? You even think I'm from there :P

I guess if I was from Stillwater I would be angry as well :wink:
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

eastsideguy wrote:
BOTCH #3 wrote:
So you dont have a JV?
Ha no. We hardly have a varsity. We graduated 15 seniors and don't have many young players.[/url]
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

the Mankato East program as a whole is sadly only going to get worst until it gets better. If you look at the Mankato Bantam's programs in Mankato the next class (freshmen) itself has all players but maybe one? living and being schooled under the West side of town, so from the youth level East is gonna suffer.

I don't think it's that far fetched to believe in a couple years that the East program might even have to merge with the West program for East athletes to even play hockey. Creating a Mankato Team (afterall East is already in co-op with Mankato Loyola for hockey)
Garth

Post by Garth »

18-0. This is just Noel Rahn just trying to be a big shot, to make a statement (insert Dan Barreiro voice here), in his 1st game as coach of HF.

He thinks he's building the next STA.
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

we do this one every year. I'll post what I post every year. My son was losing by 15 when the apponent went without shooting for the entire third period. All 16 boys were humiliated. Not by the goal differential but by the Harlom Globetrotter immitation the opponent did in the third. 2 players actually skated behind our goalie with the puck and didn't put it in the net. I will bet you money, those starving 3rd and 4th liners weren't going to hold back. Hell, in a close game many of them won't play but seconds