Alex Lyon- collage choices??

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

INDUS

Alex Lyon- collage choices??

Post by INDUS »

Now that Alex is staying at LOW for the rest of the hockey season. what are his choices for the next level of hockey? We know Cedar Rapids has his ushl rights. How about his choices for college or maybe canadian juniors, or waiting for the nhl draft and go pro.
slyer

Post by slyer »

i know the kid is good but there strength of schedule is 102, i bet if they play anybody that his numbers would change ALOT. i understand that there class a but, silver bay, kittson,red lake falls,st.paul como, bagley c'mon. if you want to get the true best goalie in the state they should somehow come up with the strength of schedule combined with the stats. hockey hub stats are misleading BIG time, sorry to rain on your parade
rbkhockey4life

Post by rbkhockey4life »

slyer wrote:i know the kid is good but there strength of schedule is 102, i bet if they play anybody that his numbers would change ALOT. i understand that there class a but, silver bay, kittson,red lake falls,st.paul como, bagley c'mon. if you want to get the true best goalie in the state they should somehow come up with the strength of schedule combined with the stats. hockey hub stats are misleading BIG time, sorry to rain on your parade

We already know the kid can play against top notch talent and still post great stats just look at what he did in Elite series
Goal

Post by Goal »

Lyon has faced a lot of shots in almost every game, LOW has been outshoot in a lot of games this year and even some of the teams you mentioned have outshot LOW. Also don't forget LOW plays teams like Warroad twice, EGF, TRF, and Roseau.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

He will play USHL next year.
slyer

Post by slyer »

egf is 8-11, roseau 8-11 trf when have they ever been good and i will give you warroad, ok 1 team
Goal

Post by Goal »

slyer wrote:egf is 8-11, roseau 8-11 trf when have they ever been good and i will give you warroad, ok 1 team
I was just trying to say all these teams are probably better than LOW. I'm not trying to say they are elite teams, but without Lyon LOWs chances in any of these games would drop down a lot. Lyon faced 60 shots when they played Roseau and TRF has been in the section championship the last couple years and probably the favorite to win it this year, EGF was a better team when LOW played them as well but have been hit hard by injuries.
Last edited by Goal on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

slyer wrote:egf is 8-11, roseau 8-11 trf when have they ever been good and i will give you warroad, ok 1 team
Not very bright are you?

Lyon will be in a division 1 school.
Just don't know where yet.
low66

Post by low66 »

rbkhockey4life wrote:
slyer wrote:i know the kid is good but there strength of schedule is 102, i bet if they play anybody that his numbers would change ALOT. i understand that there class a but, silver bay, kittson,red lake falls,st.paul como, bagley c'mon. if you want to get the true best goalie in the state they should somehow come up with the strength of schedule combined with the stats. hockey hub stats are misleading BIG time, sorry to rain on your parade

We already know the kid can play against top notch talent and still post great stats just look at what he did in Elite series
exactly, he had the best save % in the elite league this year and he faced alot of shots even in that. good luck to alex in his decision and in his very bright future!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Hopefully the kid can get to next level. Very few Mn goalies really do anything after high school. Don't know the reason, but it seems not many make it ti the D1 level and beyond.
slyer

Post by slyer »

as i said, he is good, but nhl really. little extreme
low66

Post by low66 »

slyer wrote:as i said, he is good, but nhl really. little extreme
some scouts might think he has the potential since he's on the nhl central scouting list... and have you ever seen the kid play? seems like your just going off of mnhockeyhub for your information
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32770
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

slyer wrote:as i said, he is good, but nhl really. little extreme
I'm pretty sure he was tops in Save% in the Elite league this fall and is heading to Cedar Rapids next year. If only you had a little hockey sense in you... :oops:
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Dartmouth is looking at him and Minnesota State.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

St Cloud State should take a look at him, he could come in and back-up Lee till he leaves.
hockeyfan23

Post by hockeyfan23 »

Reggie wrote:Dartmouth is looking at him and Minnesota State.
Regggie as far as you know he is in Cedar Rapids :lol:
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

Cedar Rapids for a while, programs like Minnesota and North Dakota have Adam Wilcox from SSP and Zane Gothberg from TRF so I don't suspect them.
Dartmouth is looking at him and Minnesota State.
MSU still has Austin Lee and Phil Cook, junior and sophomore respectfully. They have a goalie in the NAHL, can't quite remember his name, but they lost Kevin Murdock. Would be awesome to see him in back of the net back here in Mankato :lol:

I actually think he'll have to back up almost anywhere he goes (out of WCHA schools) and eventually move into a starting role. I think interesting goalie situations are personally in Minnesota State and Wisconsin, out of the WCHA schools at least. I don't have much knowledge on colleges outside of the WCHA to take an opinion on. I definitely think Lyon has college potential, but I think he'll have to go through Cedar Rapids regardless of what college he goes to.
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

Reggie wrote:Dartmouth[...]
take the degree!!!
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
TestTubeHockey

Post by TestTubeHockey »

I hope he plays at the college level and learns how to spell it while he is there. :shock:
hipcheck

Lyons

Post by hipcheck »

The kid can play between the pipes.

Bottom line is he stops the puck! Any coach would love to have a tender do just that!
mnhunterdave

Re: Lyons

Post by mnhunterdave »

hipcheck wrote:The kid can play between the pipes.

Bottom line is he stops the puck! Any coach would love to have a tender do just that!
I am not sure about Lyon's stats. Two games show 0 shots on goal. I suppose at the last minute they will 'fix' that and thus secure his lead in save %.............
bbad

Post by bbad »

mnhunterdave wrote:

I am not sure about Lyon's stats. Two games show 0 shots on goal. I suppose at the last minute they will 'fix' that and thus secure his lead in save %.............
That has got to be one of the most retarded things I've heard. Have you seen the kid play? He needs noone "rigging" his stats. His talent will stand on its own. I wish him the best! .....and to the bitter ones, open your eyes and enjoy watching good old Minnesota talent shine!
mnhunterdave

Post by mnhunterdave »

bbad wrote:
mnhunterdave wrote:

That has got to be one of the most retarded things I've heard. Have you seen the kid play? He needs noone "rigging" his stats. His talent will stand on its own. I wish him the best! .....and to the bitter ones, open your eyes and enjoy watching good old Minnesota talent shine!
Yes I have seen him play. You can attack the messenger, but it doesn't change the fact. There are iregularities associated with the reporting of his stats. Hockey Hub is the stat source for most of us and when people point to him as at save % leader they rely on Hockey Hub. Three of his recently reported games (Silver Bay, I Falls, Crookston) do not list any shots on goals. He may well be a very good goalie, but people need to dispassionately review who LOW has played.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

mnhunterdave wrote:
bbad wrote:
mnhunterdave wrote: I am not sure about Lyon's stats. Two games show 0 shots on goal. I suppose at the last minute they will 'fix' that and thus secure his lead in save %.............
Yes I have seen him play. You can attack the messenger, but it doesn't change the fact. There are iregularities associated with the reporting of his stats. Hockey Hub is the stat source for most of us and when people point to him as at save % leader they rely on Hockey Hub. Three of his recently reported games (Silver Bay, I Falls, Crookston) do not list any shots on goals. He may well be a very good goalie, but people need to dispassionately review who LOW has played.
Since he had two shut outs in the games mentioned his save % will only go up.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Alex is arguably the best goaltender in the state. He WILL get a DI scholarship and will possibly get drafted. There's little doubt he will have himself a nice hockey career. Although I'd love to see him in Green and White in few years, it's not likely. Gothberg (who is only 3 months older) arrives in 2012-2013 and Aaron Dell has emerged as one of the best goaltenders in the nation.
2001 & 2006 State Participant