bb's Final Regular Season JGA Rankings

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

blueblood

bb's Final Regular Season JGA Rankings

Post by blueblood » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:18 am

Another year of Metro play will be in the books after tonight's season finale of Lakeville vs. Burnsville. Here's my season ending rankings and notes on the teams:

#1 - Tonka. Only 1 loss in league play and a couple of losses in Duluth from an unbeaten season. Going into the season, I didn't think the team would be at the top, but they have proven it all year long.

#2 - Wayzata. Stumbled at the end to EP and Edina, but they knew they had the regular season title wrapped up. They will get the #1 seed at regions.

#3 - Ep. Those of you who doubted my #3 ranking earlier this season for the eaglets should bow to me and say "bb, you were right."

#4 - Edina. Nice finish to the season to slide in at the #4 spot. The bottom pool of regions with Ep and Edina is gonna be a barn burner. One of those two teams will be pushed to the final day of double elimination and may be out. Note: the last two teams to finish #4 have not made state. Not a good omen for the Hornets...

#5 and #6 - toss up between Lakeville and Burnsville. If my standings interpretations are correct, Burnsville must win the game to get the #5 seed and be in the Tonka pool for regions. If the blaze lose they are the #6 seed and are in the Wayzata pool. Pick your poison, blaze and lakeville. Good luck to my boys braggen' and lace'em....

Note: The kitties and blaze tied in game 1 of the season and the kitties have more fpp's than the blaze, so that's whay I think braggen's boys have the seeding tie breaker.

#7 the sick SLP team led by the TTrain. The pool with Wayzata, SLP and the either the Blaze or Lakeville will be a very interesting mix of teams for regions.

#8 - Jefferson. The return of the Jags to the varsity bracket of the Metro league was favorable for the baby blue. Note: the results of the Edina vs. Jag game from Friday night was not posted. There was an outside shot for the Jags to win and get their fpp and jump the orange, blue, red & white cladded BSM/SLP/Hopkins conglomeration.

#9 - WBL. Take the last spot for the guaranteed double elimination portion of regions. They will be in the Ep & edina pool.

#10 - Stilly. A team with a goalie in regions always has a shot. They will need to defeat the Rebels to get a crack at Ep in regions.

#11 - Centennial. Consistently one of the biggest goon teams in the Metro league. Led the league in least amount of ffp's earned this year, after finishing tied for third worst last year. After watching their tactics last Monday afternoon of skating 3 strides after the puck has been moved and trying to take out players or punching players on the ice, the Metro League Board needs to have some seroius discussions with the Centennial Association about the conduct of this team and coaching staff.

#12 - Eagan mildcats. Never saw them play. Probably a good thing...

#13 - the Ice Dawgs. How did these guys beat Edina?

#14 - Wessy. Another tough year for the East side boys. Maybe its time to opt out of JGA and play JGB?

#15 - Champlin Park. Not much to say here.

My picks for teams from the metro to make state are:

M1 = Wayzata
M2 = Tonka
M3 = Edina
M4 = Ep
M5 = Burnsville or Lakeville
M6 = SLP

blueblood

JGA

Post by blueblood » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:29 am

JGA

just a fan of hockey

Post by just a fan of hockey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 pm

If you had to bet on one dark horse to pull an upset who would you put your money on? Why?

Reg Dunlap

Post by Reg Dunlap » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:37 pm

just a fan of hockey wrote:If you had to bet on one dark horse to pull an upset who would you put your money on? Why?
SLP for sure. Beat EP, Beat Edina, crushed lakeville twice. 97 goals on the season. If their goalie can get hot and/or they can tighten things up in the D zone, they have the fire power to pull off some upsets.
When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.

jvail19

Post by jvail19 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Burnsville takes 5th. winning 4-3

just a fan of hockey

Post by just a fan of hockey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:44 pm

Reg Dunlap wrote:
just a fan of hockey wrote:If you had to bet on one dark horse to pull an upset who would you put your money on? Why?
SLP for sure. Beat EP, Beat Edina, crushed lakeville twice. 97 goals on the season. If their goalie can get hot and/or they can tighten things up in the D zone, they have the fire power to pull off some upsets.
Nice home work - but you already had SLP in the top 6 - beyond them who do think could make it through.

YeahhhBuddayyy

Post by YeahhhBuddayyy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Reg Dunlap wrote:
I think the reason that SLP upset Ep and Edina was because they over looked SLP and did not come ready to play. I think that if Ep or Edina plays SLP again they will be ready and will win

jvail19

Post by jvail19 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:38 pm

looking at the brackets if stillwater's goalie is as good as everyone says id take them in the upset of ep

YeahhhBuddayyy

Post by YeahhhBuddayyy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:55 pm

jvail19 wrote:looking at the brackets if stillwater's goalie is as good as everyone says id take them in the upset of ep
It is a possibility but Ep did play him and won 2-0 earlier this year

jvail19

Post by jvail19 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:14 pm

the way the brackets are set up thats the only possible upset i see that could actually happen. if there are no upsets the ep edina game should be good. tonka and bville and then wayzata and either slp or lakeville.

just a fan of hockey

Post by just a fan of hockey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 pm

EP actually had a empty netter against Stillwater to make it 2-0- it was a great game. What about Jefferson - their goalie has the potential to be a door closer.

Bragenrights

Post by Bragenrights » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Well my thoughts on sleeper teams are
Blaine* will suprise someone next weekend
Stillwater has a shot if the stud goalie plays every game
These two teams are much better than their record states should be a good weekend.

jvail19

Post by jvail19 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:55 pm

we didnt play the good goalie against stillwater but thats the only way i see them winning with him in net.
we played jefferson twice and i see it being a good game but last time their goalie didnt do to good.
same with blaine. but thats why we play. should be a fun weekend.

Reg Dunlap

Post by Reg Dunlap » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 am

just a fan of hockey wrote:
Reg Dunlap wrote:
Nice home work - but you already had SLP in the top 6 - beyond them who do think could make it through.
Actually you have SLP as the 7th team since you basically picked the top 7 teams with your burnsville OR lakeville pick. There are no other "dark horses" that have a shot other then SLP OR lakeville.
When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.

just a fan of hockey

Post by just a fan of hockey » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:23 pm

I would say any of the teams at .500 (Centennial, Stillwater, Lakeville, SLP) could be considered an upset. All of them have played tough or beaten the top teams. That is the joy of playing the game - cuz all this guessing is just guessing, fun, but still just guessing. Gives us all something to do between games....good luck to all in regions.

wildthing

Post by wildthing » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:51 pm

BB- I'm pretty much with you on the rankings top to bottom.
I could argue to push Stillwater up just a little higher.
After a mediocre start, EP beat Edina, Tonka, and Wayzata in the 2nd half of the season which should give them attitude for regions.
Blaine is capable of upsetting

WT

blueblood

rankings

Post by blueblood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks WT.

I also think the one team that is capable of making some noise for the top 7 teams is Stillwater.

just a fan of hockey

Post by just a fan of hockey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:31 am

jvail19 wrote:we didnt play the good goalie against stillwater but thats the only way i see them winning with him in net.
we played jefferson twice and i see it being a good game but last time their goalie didnt do to good.
same with blaine. but thats why we play. should be a fun weekend.
Your goalie did not matter - our problem that game was getting shots - we only had 12 and 0 in the first period. Your D is what stood on its head that night.

YouthHockeyDad

Post by YouthHockeyDad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Your goalie did not matter - our problem that game was getting shots - we only had 12 and 0 in the first period. Your D is what stood on its head that night.[/quote wrote:
I think he meant Stillwater's "good" goalie was not in net when they played them.

just a fan of hockey

Post by just a fan of hockey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm

YouthHockeyDad wrote:
Your goalie did not matter - our problem that game was getting shots - we only had 12 and 0 in the first period. Your D is what stood on its head that night.[/quote wrote:
I think he meant Stillwater's "good" goalie was not in net when they played them.
Assumed jvail was from EP. Because 24 did play against EP and we were out shot 34 - 12.

just a fan of hockey

Post by just a fan of hockey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:37 pm

just a fan of hockey wrote:
YouthHockeyDad wrote:
I assumed jvail was from EP. Because 24 did play against EP and we were out shot 34 - 12.

wildthing

Post by wildthing » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:58 pm

JVAIL19 is not an EP player

YeahhhBuddayyy

Post by YeahhhBuddayyy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 pm

I wouldnt say stood on their head. Stillwater had no forecheck and couldnt even get it of their own zone for 3/4 of the game

just a fan of hockey

Post by just a fan of hockey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:08 pm

YeahhhBuddayyy wrote:I wouldnt say stood on their head. Stillwater had no forecheck and couldnt even get it of their own zone for 3/4 of the game
Sorry for the compliment, they do have good D. And almost true on getting it out of our zone - it only took half the game to figure that out...ouch

bardown33

Re: bb's Final Regular Season JGA Rankings

Post by bardown33 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 am

blueblood wrote:
#8 - Jefferson. The return of the Jags to the varsity bracket of the Metro league was favorable for the baby blue. Note: the results of the Edina vs. Jag game from Friday night was not posted. There was an outside shot for the Jags to win and get their fpp and jump the orange, blue, red & white cladded BSM/SLP/Hopkins conglomeration.

#11 - Centennial. Consistently one of the biggest goon teams in the Metro league. Led the league in least amount of ffp's earned this year, after finishing tied for third worst last year. After watching their tactics last Monday afternoon of skating 3 strides after the puck has been moved and trying to take out players or punching players on the ice, the Metro League Board needs to have some seroius discussions with the Centennial Association about the conduct of this team and coaching staff.
on jefferson v edina. Edina won 3-1, all goals scored in the game came on PP including the empty netter to make it 3 for the guys in green. No fair play point as the Jags are given a 10 min for a player saying "f*** me after missing a pass" all in all i felt penalties called in this game were pretty weak, whenever it was boarderline it was a penalty, whenever it was obvious it was no penalty. icing called off and also not called off on weird times, of course these calls went both ways so it was indeed consistant. better to be consistantly bad as a ref than inconsistant.

on centennial: when you're that bad at hockey, you need something to do. but i agree, thats not what hockey is about...they need to clean it up or get out.