2012 Mr. Hockey

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

PuckU126 wrote:
larsengeno27 wrote:Miles Death for Mr. Hockey???
He had like 1 goal and 6 assists for the whole year

He is a solid d, but not a Mr. Hockey Candidate
I'd give him Mr. Hockey just because his name is badass.

8)
It's the decider in a difficult vote. 8)
I can splash in the rink puddles!
20custom

Post by 20custom »

mulefarm wrote:A northern kid hasn't won it since Ness. Randolph in a landslide!

why would you want to make the same mistake twice?..Tontinato maybe..
Peterson maybe
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
larsengeno27 wrote:Miles Death for Mr. Hockey???
He had like 1 goal and 6 assists for the whole year

He is a solid d, but not a Mr. Hockey Candidate
I'd give him Mr. Hockey just because his name is badass.

8)
It's the decider in a difficult vote. 8)
I still agree with my statement. :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

Looks like Kloos posted 5 points today. If he can help get LS to state I don't see any way he doesn't win it this year. Randolph and Toninato are great players and it would both make great choices as well, but in my opinion Kloos is a shade above them.
longdistancespectator8

Post by longdistancespectator8 »

He has a legitimate shot of catching Cisar for points and leading the entire state in scoring. Its hard to believe that a AA player that leads the state in scoring regardless of class doesn't win Mr. Hockey
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

longdistancespectator8 wrote:He has a legitimate shot of catching Cisar for points and leading the entire state in scoring. Its hard to believe that a AA player that leads the state in scoring regardless of class doesn't win Mr. Hockey
Even if he doesn't catch Cisar, and even if they can't get past Lakeville North, if he continues on his current pace it seems like a no-brainer. He's putting up these numbers when every single game the opponents game plan is "stop 15". No teams have the luxury of that tactic against DE. Randolph and Toninato are great players, but they don't, individually, receive near the attention Kloos does from opponents. Just one man's opinion.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Randolph wins Fox Sports North's "Player of the Year"
http://blackwoodssports.com/?p=2845
Go Hounds.
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

EHSHack wrote:Randolph wins Fox Sports North's "Player of the Year"
http://blackwoodssports.com/?p=2845
Very cool that he's been recognized by FSN as the Player of the Year. I still think Kloos wins Mr. Hockey, but Randolph is one heck of a player.
ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka »

I think with the Pioneer award going to Randolph, the race will clearly be between Kloos and Randolph. Probably a good year to go with the Northern kid on a powerhouse team.
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

[quote="ticktacktonka"]I think with the Pioneer award going to Randolph, the race will clearly be between Kloos and Randolph. Probably a good year to go with the Northern kid on a powerhouse team.[/quote]

Not a chance.. Kloos has almost 30 more points than Randolph and has almost single handedly brought LS to the state tournament. Jake's a great player and deserved to be recognized by the press and FSN but the big award will go to Kloos
peggyfleming

Post by peggyfleming »

RickyTicky wrote:
ticktacktonka wrote:I think with the Pioneer award going to Randolph, the race will clearly be between Kloos and Randolph. Probably a good year to go with the Northern kid on a powerhouse team.

Not a chance.. Kloos has almost 30 more points than Randolph and has almost single handedly brought LS to the state tournament. Jake's a great player and deserved to be recognized by the press and FSN but the big award will go to Kloos
How many conference games did Jake play in? How many home games did Justin play in? How many games did LS travel to play 100 plus miles? How many weeks did Lakeville have to stand up to the challenge of being the team everyone was gunning for every week?
Gophers>Bulldogs

Mr Hockey

Post by Gophers>Bulldogs »

I remember watching AJ Michaelson dominate at state as a sophomore and Lucia from sections last year. Shame they're both not here to be considered. Kloos wins this in a landslide even though Tominato and Randolph's team will whoop them up inn State. If they did have a best Defender award fellow Mr. Hockey Candidate Eric Schurhamer would win. If he played for Hill or Benilde there teams would be signifigantly better then they are even if both teams are good.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

How many times was Jake the sole focus of the other team.
DuluthMMA

Post by DuluthMMA »

keepyourheadup wrote:How many times was Jake the sole focus of the other team.

Funny you think nobody knows about Randolph or the entire first line, nor do you understand East has been the top dog 90% of the season , never falling below second place, nor do you realize East played a much tougher schedule than LS, in games that were not sub 100 teams that they blew out....
longdistancespectator8

DuluthMMA wrote:

Funny you think nobody knows about Randolph or the entire first line, nor do you understand East has been the top dog 90% of the season , never falling below second place, nor do you realize East played a much tougher schedule than LS, in games that were not sub 100 teams that they blew out....
I think what he was referring to is that when you the opposing team stepped onto the ice there goal was to stop Duluth's first line. That is, they were game planning around 3 different players on that line, along with the remaining rest of the team. Whereas, when you played Lakeville the game plan is we stop kloos we win.
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

How many conference games did Jake play in? How many home games did Justin play in? How many games did LS travel to play 100 plus miles? How many weeks did Lakeville have to stand up to the challenge of being the team everyone was gunning for every week?[/quote]

If Mr. Hockey was a team award than you make a valid point but its not. The fact is Kloos has 27 more points against similar competition, not as tough has DE but still tough, and has carried his team all year. Teams make games plans to stop Kloos because if you stop him you pretty much stop LS, not the case with DE. Jake had a great year, don't get me wrong, but Justin has had back to back 90+ point seasons, will be one of very few AA players to ever score 100 points and lead the state in scoring.. It would be pure criminal if he didn't win
DuluthMMA

Post by DuluthMMA »

RickyTicky wrote:How many conference games did Jake play in? How many home games did Justin play in? How many games did LS travel to play 100 plus miles? How many weeks did Lakeville have to stand up to the challenge of being the team everyone was gunning for every week?
If Mr. Hockey was a team award than you make a valid point but its not. The fact is Kloos has 27 more points against similar competition, not as tough has DE but still tough, and has carried his team all year. Teams make games plans to stop Kloos because if you stop him you pretty much stop LS, not the case with DE. Jake had a great year, don't get me wrong, but Justin has had back to back 90+ point seasons, will be one of very few AA players to ever score 100 points and lead the state in scoring.. It would be pure criminal if he didn't win
Hoping this " point discussion " deal doesn't turn into another Josh Cisar rant.... Either way, the point is, LS played alot of teams that they blew out during the regular season, and in playoffs, in arguably the weakest section in AA... Hell , he may be 27 points ahead of Randolph, but didnt 15 of those come in their cake walk sections?
DuluthMMA

Post by DuluthMMA »

my bad , just checked again.. Make that 18 pts in sections
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

How many conference games did Jake play in? How many home games did Justin play in? How many games did LS travel to play 100 plus miles? How many weeks did Lakeville have to stand up to the challenge of being the team everyone was gunning for every week?[/quote]

The number of "conference games" seems like a moot point. One could make the same argument that DE's NON-CONFERENCE schedule (since they're independent and play 0 conference games) was "soft"because it included Tartan, Hastings, Cloquet/Esko/Carlton (2), St. Cloud Tech and Cambridge/Isanti, while LS's NON-CONFERENCE schedule included Eden Prairie, Edina, WBL, Hill-Murray and Breck (I'm not making that arguement - they had the 5th toughest schedule in the state). Let's compare apples to apples. LS's CONFERENCE schedule also included 2 games each against Eagan, Burnsville, Apple Valley, and Prior Lake - all of which spent time in the top 20, BV and Eagan in the top 10.

According to mnhockeyhub, they played 14 home games, 3 of which were neutral site, so in reality, 11 of 25.

How many games did they have to travel 100 plus miles to travel? - 0.

How many weeks did DE have to stand up to the challenge of being the No. 1 team everyone was gunning for? Probably 16.

How many times did Jake have to stand up to the opposition's game plan being specifically, "stop one guy"? Probably 3-5 or so. How many times did Kloos have to stand up to that? Probably 25.

Both are great players, but to imply Kloos had an easier road to his accomplishments is unfair. They both played head-to-head against the top HS competition in the state in the MNHSEL, and Kloos lead that league in scoring by a WIDE margin (over everybody but linemate Guentzel). I know it shouldn't factor in to MSHSL award voting, but it's a pretty good indication of how they would fare against the same competition. IMHO.
Last edited by Neuuman on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longdistancespectator8

I think what Rickyticky is getting at is that he is doubtful that Randolph would have put up the numbers Kloos did if they were to switch spots. It is a very bold statement to say that take away Toninato, and the rest of the greyhounds and Randolph still scores 70 points. Whereas you move Kloos to Duluth East and there is not as much doubt that he would have put up huge numbers. And if you want to pull the statistics against the best competition then look at the elite league. Now I know that the Elite league doesn't matter in the voting but that was the only truly equivalent competition they have to compare. Kloos led the league in scoring whereas Randolph playing with his real line mates only had an marginal elite league season.

You can argue all day about the schedule strength and this and that. But Kloos has no control over that. What he did do was in the biggest games for that team he scored. He had 19 points against their 8 strongest opponents and his team only scored 28 points ( I did this quickly so it could be wrong). That is 69 percent of the teams goals against
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

DuluthMMA wrote:

Please list the "sub 100 teams" LS blew out (excluding playoffs, I'll grant you that) vs. the "sub 100 teams" DE blew out in the regular season? How many "sub 100 teams" did DE play and blow out? I think you'll find it's a pretty similar number during the regular season.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

Kloos is a gopher...not a pre-req, but probably what sways the vote.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Truth is I know all those things about East, in my opinion the best team in the state. Do you realize that many observers feel their best player only played maybe a quarter of the year. I think Jake is a great player but he also plays in an environment where he isn't called upon to be the THE main cog. If Jake was hurt and Trevor stayed healthy do you think their record would be much different? If Kloos was hurt most of the year does South win 20 games?

While you assume that South played the little sisters of the poor, if you check page stat you'll see that it was a top 15 schedule. Granted Justin lit up the sections, he never exceeded 5 points against any one team during the regular season. Counting the MSHEL he has now been on the score sheet in 56 straight games. His accomplishments shouldn't be ridiculed based on racking up easy points against lousy teams, he has been productive no matter the competition. Would he have been better off had he bailed out and transferred to a big name program?

Regardless who wins can't we agree that they are both great players who thrived in different circumstances.
Mnhockey83

Post by Mnhockey83 »

There is no way if Randolph was in klooses spot at south he would have 99 pts. I could see him having around 70 in that position. It's really a remarkable feat for Kloos to have that many pts with out nearly as much company around him as Randolph has.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

keepyourheadup wrote:Truth is I know all those things about East, in my opinion the best team in the state. Do you realize that many observers feel their best player only played maybe a quarter of the year. I think Jake is a great player but he also plays in an environment where he isn't called upon to be the THE main cog. If Jake was hurt and Trevor stayed healthy do you think their record would be much different? If Kloos was hurt most of the year does South win 20 games?

While you assume that South played the little sisters of the poor, if you check page stat you'll see that it was a top 15 schedule. Granted Justin lit up the sections, he never exceeded 5 points against any one team during the regular season. Counting the MSHEL he has now been on the score sheet in 56 straight games. His accomplishments shouldn't be ridiculed based on racking up easy points against lousy teams, he has been productive no matter the competition. Would he have been better off had he bailed out and transferred to a big name program?

Regardless who wins can't we agree that they are both great players who thrived in different circumstances.
Amen.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006