Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Govie

Post by Govie »

Shouldn't be long before NCAA scoring leader Nick Bjugstad is pulled up to the Panthers. Thankfully for the Gophs though the Panthers seem to be doing pretty well so far this year so hopefully he will at least finish out the year in maroon/gold. He's going to be an NHL all star some day I believe.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Govie wrote:Shouldn't be long before NCAA scoring leader Nick Bjugstad is pulled up to the Panthers. Thankfully for the Gophs though the Panthers seem to be doing pretty well so far this year so hopefully he will at least finish out the year in maroon/gold. He's going to be an NHL all star some day I believe.
I've resigned myself to the fact that this will be Nick's last year at Mariucci, so I'll just enjoy watching him while he's still here. As you say we can only hope that the Panthers let him finish out the season with his Gopher teammates before signing and calling him up.
Govie

Post by Govie »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Govie wrote:Shouldn't be long before NCAA scoring leader Nick Bjugstad is pulled up to the Panthers. Thankfully for the Gophs though the Panthers seem to be doing pretty well so far this year so hopefully he will at least finish out the year in maroon/gold. He's going to be an NHL all star some day I believe.
I've resigned myself to the fact that this will be Nick's last year at Mariucci, so I'll just enjoy watching him while he's still here. As you say we can only hope that the Panthers let him finish out the season with his Gopher teammates before signing and calling him up.
It sucked when Okposo was pulled up midseason. Ultimately my loyalty is to SCSU since my brother in law was a player and I played with a kid who went on to Husky status and all my siblings are alum but I sort of grew up a Gophers fan being a St. Paulite my whole life.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Govie wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
It sucked when Okposo was pulled up midseason. Ultimately my loyalty is to SCSU since my brother in law was a player and I played with a kid who went on to Husky status and all my siblings are alum but I sort of grew up a Gophers fan being a St. Paulite my whole life.
Okposo wasn't "pulled up" by anyone. It was his choice to stay or go, just like it will be Bjugstad's if it happens.

No one holds a gun to their heads.
Govie

Post by Govie »

Surely the Islanders applied pressure though or wanted him to come up or thought he was ready.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Mailman wrote:Okposo wasn't "pulled up" by anyone. It was his choice to stay or go, just like it will be Bjugstad's if it happens. No one holds a gun to their heads.
True, no one threatens the player with a gun, and he certainly can tell them 'no'. But let's face it, playing in the NHL is the ultimate goal for nearly all of these top-end kids, and if the team that drafted you comes calling, it would be very difficult (and probably not very smart) to turn them down. You always want to get off on the right foot, and passing up the opportunity just opens the door for someone else who'll jump at the chance. Not to even mention the money...it's risky to bank on being able to sign for more $$$ later on. Maybe you slump, maybe you get hurt, maybe the spotlight begins to shine on a couple of other prospects they have and all of a sudden you're not worth as much...
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Govie wrote:Surely the Islanders applied pressure though or wanted him to come up or thought he was ready.
They waved $ signs in front of his, and I would bet even more, his families nose.

Along with the usual "You're the greatest, you're wasting your time here, etc." line of propaganda.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Mailman wrote:Okposo wasn't "pulled up" by anyone. It was his choice to stay or go, just like it will be Bjugstad's if it happens. No one holds a gun to their heads.
True, no one threatens the player with a gun, and he certainly can tell them 'no'. But let's face it, playing in the NHL is the ultimate goal for nearly all of these top-end kids, and if the team that drafted you comes calling, it would be very difficult (and probably not very smart) to turn them down. You always want to get off on the right foot, and passing up the opportunity just opens the door for someone else who'll jump at the chance. Not to even mention the money...it's risky to bank on being able to sign for more $$$ later on. Maybe you slump, maybe you get hurt, maybe the spotlight begins to shine on a couple of other prospects they have and all of a sudden you're not worth as much...
A team "comes calling" when they think the commodity(player) they're interested in can make them money, simple as that.

Nothing wrong with that; it's a business.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Nick is a great kid who comes from a great family, he wouldn't leave the Gophers mid-season. Although there are no certainties, I would nearly guarantee he stays the entire season, and leaves following the college season for the pros. He is having a great season but the Gophers should go farther this year than they have in the pas 5-6 when they've been pretty quiet in the postseason
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Okposo didnt leave cause he was going to make the Islnaders money, are you kidding me? Kyle Okposo left for one reason...him and "The Don" werent getting along very well. The Islanders came to defense thus ripping Lucia for what he was doing to the development of their assets (Okposo). They felt he would be better served playing in the AHL.

Kyle is a very talented player!! However, he never gave everything he had for the gophers. Look at the effort this years team gives. Someone tell me the last time you saw talent like Bjugstad, Rau, Hansen, and Haula all give the effort they are giving this season. I would look back to a group like Potulny, Taffe, Riddle, etc...or a group like Irmen and ryan Potulny.

These kids wont leave mid-season because the NHL sees their assets developing without them needing to pay them. The islanders came to support their player and thus pulled him out of Minnesota.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Tigers33 wrote:Okposo didnt leave cause he was going to make the Islnaders money, are you kidding me? Kyle Okposo left for one reason...him and "The Don" werent getting along very well. The Islanders came to defense thus ripping Lucia for what he was doing to the development of their assets (Okposo). They felt he would be better served playing in the AHL.

Kyle is a very talented player!! However, he never gave everything he had for the gophers. Look at the effort this years team gives. Someone tell me the last time you saw talent like Bjugstad, Rau, Hansen, and Haula all give the effort they are giving this season. I would look back to a group like Potulny, Taffe, Riddle, etc...or a group like Irmen and ryan Potulny.

These kids wont leave mid-season because the NHL sees their assets developing without them needing to pay them. The islanders came to support their player and thus pulled him out of Minnesota.
And there's the chicken/egg scenario; was Okposo(supposedly) not getting along with Lucia *before* or *after* Snow stepped in.

As far as any "complaints" the Islanders had with how Lucia was not developing Okposo, last I looked, Lucia's checks are signed by the U of M, not the Islanders.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Mailman - Good argument. Spot on. :)

Do you think the Islanders care how the gophers do if they have a player on their team? Nope! They could care less. They care that their player is being developed. If the NHL can get players to develop in college than its a big plus, cause they dont have to pay them to play in the AHL.

However, I am going to take a guess that Snow felt Okposo wasnt being developed to their standards.

Let me ask you this smart guy - How did Okposo make their AHL team money when he left? :) Ha.........
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Tigers33 wrote:Mailman - Good argument. Spot on. :)

Do you think the Islanders care how the gophers do if they have a player on their team? Nope! They could care less. They care that their player is being developed. If the NHL can get players to develop in college than its a big plus, cause they dont have to pay them to play in the AHL.

However, I am going to take a guess that Snow felt Okposo wasnt being developed to their standards.

Let me ask you this smart guy - How did Okposo make their AHL team money when he left? :) Ha.........
Perhaps. Or at least, that's the bill of goods they sold him.

And I never said a thing about any AHL team. :wink:
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

He went to the AHL the year he left :)

That cost them money to leave college to pay him to play in the AHL.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Tigers33 wrote:He went to the AHL the year he left :)

That cost them money to leave college to pay him to play in the AHL.
I know he did, Bridgeport iirc.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

"A team "comes calling" when they think the commodity(player) they're interested in can make them money, simple as that." And "Nothing wrong with that; it's a business."

Explain to me how he made them money when he left...
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Tigers33 wrote:"A team "comes calling" when they think the commodity(player) they're interested in can make them money, simple as that." And "Nothing wrong with that; it's a business."

Explain to me how he made them money when he left...
When he left what, Bridgeport ?

Still trying to figure out how the AHL came into the conversation..............
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Mailman - you confused? Your initial statement was pretty confident that the reason he left Minnesot was cause the Islnaders thought he could make them money.

How did Okposo make the Islanders money by leaving the U of M to go play in the AHL?
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

I think what he meant was that the Islanders felt he would be better developed in their AHL affiliate program than at the U of M. That way he could make the jump to the NHL faster where he could help them win games and make them money.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Tigers33 wrote:Mailman - you confused? Your initial statement was pretty confident that the reason he left Minnesot was cause the Islnaders thought he could make them money.

How did Okposo make the Islanders money by leaving the U of M to go play in the AHL?
My statement, which I have a hard time believing you didn't know, was about an NHL team.
EVERY NHL team.

For that matter, how long was he even in the AHL ? Couple weeks, month ?

Can't remember exactly, but it wasn't long.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

That was my point that the islanders felt he would better develop in the AHL than for the U of M. Thats the only reason they brought him out of the U of M. If they were happy with him there than they would have left Kyle at the U for the rest of that season cause it wouldnt have cost the islanders anything.

You said he was pulled out, because he brought the islanders money. My question which you havent answered...How did he bring the Islanders money? He played 9 games the year he came out of college, which was around the Holiday's. So in Jan. Feb. March. and beginning of April he played 9 games. So, apparently in those 9 games he brought the Islanders money. :)
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

Tigers33 wrote:That was my point that the islanders felt he would better develop in the AHL than for the U of M. Thats the only reason they brought him out of the U of M. If they were happy with him there than they would have left Kyle at the U for the rest of that season cause it wouldnt have cost the islanders anything.

You said he was pulled out, because he brought the islanders money. My question which you havent answered...How did he bring the Islanders money? He played 9 games the year he came out of college, which was around the Holiday's. So in Jan. Feb. March. and beginning of April he played 9 games. So, apparently in those 9 games he brought the Islanders money. :)
I don't know why you are badgering Mailman. He is right.
He stated "when the program THINKS a commodity can make them money." That may be "immediately" (which you focus on), or it could be "in the near future, with some better prepwork", or they could flat out be WRONG!!!
I agree with you that Div 1 hockey schools are not NHL farm clubs. There are undoubtedly instances in which programs want to pull a resource in and prep them their way. But the payoff is often not immediate, nor guaranteed.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Wayouteast -

Explain to me how okposo leaving school early for the AHL made Snow and the islanders money.

They felt he wasnt being developed! If he was being developed to their liking than they would have left him in college to save them the money :)

So, okposo and lucia actually cost the islanders money that they would rather not have spent.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Bump

Speaking of the Gophers...

Very lackluster effort tonight by Gophs... Too lackluster for a team ranked #2, playing a team they should beat, not good...

Turnovers all night were terrible... Budish, catch that pass in OT, then Helgeson, please take the body of the smaller forward, forget the puck... too late... :shock:
Govie

Post by Govie »

DmanDad1980 wrote:Bump

Speaking of the Gophers...

Very lackluster effort tonight by Gophs... Too lackluster for a team ranked #2, playing a team they should beat, not good...

Turnovers all night were terrible... Budish, catch that pass in OT, then Helgeson, please take the body of the smaller forward, forget the puck... too late... :shock:
I just want to see Bjugstad win the NCAA scoring title this year, and finally for a change an American, not to mention a Minnesotan.