Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

DrGaf
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Post by DrGaf » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:47 pm

mulefarm wrote:
DrGaf wrote:
oldschoolpuckster wrote:Another thought might be that this coaching staff always tries to pick " the best players" instead of "the right players".......(Herbie quote)

To me, they look like an All-Star team playing like a bunch of individules trying to play a little College game before they leave early for their pro career. It is a very ugly game to watch right now (all but the first period of the first game of the season)

I would like to see a big "shake-up' to the roster to get things going.
The frickin' Gopher's have been my only real local team I care for since Norm Green ruined my formative teenage years. I still can't look at the Dallas Stars jerseys with out feeling a needle of ange jabbing through my eye ... and then these kids nowadays with their "retro" N-stars snap back with the flow, drive me nuts!

ANYWAYS, back to the point. The Gophers have always had tons of talent, and that's the problem. Too much talent, too many stars, not enough grinders. White collar players sell the tickets, blue collar boys win the games.
If a bunch of guys on here can figure it out, why can't Don? Or can he and can't get white collar kids to play like blue collar kids?
Quite simply we're smarter than most people. That's my theory anyways.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

Mailman
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Post by Mailman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:49 pm

mulefarm wrote:
DrGaf wrote:
oldschoolpuckster wrote:Another thought might be that this coaching staff always tries to pick " the best players" instead of "the right players".......(Herbie quote)

To me, they look like an All-Star team playing like a bunch of individules trying to play a little College game before they leave early for their pro career. It is a very ugly game to watch right now (all but the first period of the first game of the season)

I would like to see a big "shake-up' to the roster to get things going.
The frickin' Gopher's have been my only real local team I care for since Norm Green ruined my formative teenage years. I still can't look at the Dallas Stars jerseys with out feeling a needle of ange jabbing through my eye ... and then these kids nowadays with their "retro" N-stars snap back with the flow, drive me nuts!

ANYWAYS, back to the point. The Gophers have always had tons of talent, and that's the problem. Too much talent, too many stars, not enough grinders. White collar players sell the tickets, blue collar boys win the games.
If a bunch of guys on here can figure it out, why can't Don? Or can he and can't get white collar kids to play like blue collar kids?
What can he do ? Any even hint of a problem with jr., and mom and dad throw a fit and take their ball (kid) away with a parting shot of "We're going pro, cya"

And both the kids and him know it.

It used to be considered an honor and privilege to play D1 hockey.

Now, kids/especially parents consider the school should feel it's an honor and privilege that jr. is playing hockey for them.

Mailman
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Post by Mailman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 pm

oldschoolpuckster wrote:Another thought might be that this coaching staff always tries to pick " the best players" instead of "the right players".......(Herbie quote)

To me, they look like an All-Star team playing like a bunch of individules trying to play a little College game before they leave early for their pro career. It is a very ugly game to watch right now (all but the first period of the first game of the season)

I would like to see a big "shake-up' to the roster to get things going.
Exactly. A "Me first, what's in this for me ?" attitude and it shows.

Me and my plans are more important than the team.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6546
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:03 am

I don't necessarily agree with the "me first" sentiments. To the extent I do, I don't believe that it's a unique problem for Gopher hockey. Lots of guys on other teams do not complete their four years of eligibility, and decide to make the jump to the pros early. When they are being recruited, many (most?) of the really blue-chip players figure that, no matter which school they go to, they'll probably not spend their entire four years at the college level.

What makes the Gophers somewhat unique is that they are able to attract more of the top-end talent (draft choices) than MOST other schools - in MOST years. So to us fans it might just seem like the "what's in it for me" attitude is more typical for Gopher players than players of similar talent who end up at other schools.

If anything, you would THINK the highest ranked players, knowing they have a legitimate shot at making it big in the NHL, would have even more motivation than others who weren't drafted and who must come to the realization (at some point) that their future in hockey will probably come to an end after their senior year. On the other hand, you would THINK that most high-end guys would be super-motivated to continue to improve and really stand out, knowing they're in the position to make the really big bucks if their pro team takes notice and moves them ahead of other draftees.

Which all goes to make me wonder: why don't the talented Gophers have that extra motivation to consistently perform, night in and night out, and not lose to the "lesser teams" like Minnesota State? I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I suspect that there is a lot more parity at the D1 level than there used to be, and it's just a lot tougher to win all those games you're supposed to win, even if on paper you're the more talented team.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:28 am

I love reading these forums, makes me just crack up. Keep in mind the team currently is ranked #2 in the country. I think a previous post nailed it correct, it's called parity!! There is so much of it in college hockey right now. Mankato is currently playing Denver tough and Bemidji is tied with CC.

As for someone saying white collar vs. blue collar. Please tell me these current white collar players. Bjugstad, rau, haula, condon, and Boyd always play hard and with a blue collar mentality. I think this would have been a great argument 3-4 years ago. Matson last year was the definition of blue collar.

Personally I think the captain of the team, budish, needs to send a spark to this team. Not sure he is capable of doing that.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6546
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:04 pm

I could not watch the game Friday night, but I thought the Gophers did a much better job with their forecheck Saturday night than I've witnessed ever since their series with Michigan State. More intensity and greater effort created more turnovers created havoc for the Badgers' D which in turn led to some great scoring chances for Gopher forwards.

And, with just a handful of glaring exceptions, they also played smarter in their own zone and limited Wisconsin to just a handful of good scoring opportunities. If they had a weakness defensively it was still allowing odd-man breaks due to miscues at the offensive blueline or too many men being caught deep. But even here there was improvement over recent series.

And how 'bout that Wilcox? I continue to be hugely impressed by his amazingly quick reflexes as well as his ability to play his angles. It appears we will be solid in goal for the near future - sure hope he stays healthy.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6546
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:53 am

Nice win over the Catamounts tonight! Well deserved, as I thought the Gophers dominated play at both ends of the rink. We can only hope that the Gophs don't take them too lightly in the rematch, as anything less than a sweep would be hugely disappointing.

BodyShots
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:16 pm

It concerns me that I am starting to see Schroederitist starting to appear in the play of Bjugstad. He gets to the offensive blue line and the legs stop working as he puts it into coast mode. :idea:

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6546
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:21 pm

BodyShots wrote:It concerns me that I am starting to see Schroederitist starting to appear in the play of Bjugstad. He gets to the offensive blue line and the legs stop working as he puts it into coast mode. :idea:
And it would be nice if he hit the net once in a while. Seems to fire it high and over the net way too often.

Hopefully he'll step it up in the second half. I'd be more concerned for the team if he was already playing at his full potential.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:25 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
BodyShots wrote:It concerns me that I am starting to see Schroederitist starting to appear in the play of Bjugstad. He gets to the offensive blue line and the legs stop working as he puts it into coast mode. :idea:
And it would be nice if he hit the net once in a while. Seems to fire it high and over the net way too often.

Hopefully he'll step it up in the second half. I'd be more concerned for the team if he was already playing at his full potential.
He certainly doesn't look like he would have been "NHL-ready" had the lockout not occured and he would would have left. The big guy just seems to really disappear in the big games and we saw this a lot last year in the last 1/3rd of the season after he suffered that concussion I believe against North Dakota. IMO, there are a lot of guys, not just Nick that need to step it up about 10 notches if this team expects to compete for a National Title. It is only December, thankfully, but the way they are playing now isn't good.

BodyShots
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:39 pm

I know it will never happen, but I would like to see Rau play the center and have Bjugstad move over to the wing. I just think Rau's speed would be better utilized at the center position.

Sats81
Posts: 2734
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Sats81 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:57 pm

BodyShots wrote:I know it will never happen, but I would like to see Rau play the center and have Bjugstad move over to the wing. I just think Rau's speed would be better utilized at the center position.
Have to agree with you on this.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6546
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:24 pm

More than half of Rau's goals come from him standing in a wing position, near and just to the right of the goal. I don't think he would score as many goals at center. And Bjugstad is great on faceoffs, so if he were to be moved to wing the Gophers would lose that advantage as well. I don't claim to have all the answers but I think these two are playing in their natural positions.

BodyShots
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm

And all of Bjugstad's goals are from the wing while on the power play. :?

I don't think where your goals are scored from has anything to do with what position you play. :idea:

starmvp
Posts: 3223
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by starmvp » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 am

Gophers beat #1 ranked BC 8-1 tonight :shock: :shock: :shock:

DrGaf
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Post by DrGaf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:42 pm

Loved every minute of it.

Great afternoon of TV yesterday with the Gophers on the night cap, loved it!
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01 am

Post by mulefarm » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Totally awesome! Should not lose a game the rest of the year and should walk to the NCAA championship.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6546
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:44 pm

mulefarm wrote:Totally awesome! Should not lose a game the rest of the year and should walk to the NCAA championship.
mulefarm, you forgot to put one of these :roll: at the end of your post!

starmvp
Posts: 3223
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:46 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Totally awesome! Should not lose a game the rest of the year and should walk to the NCAA championship.
mulefarm, you forgot to put one of these :roll: at the end of your post!
:lol: :lol:

starmvp
Posts: 3223
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 am
Location: State of Hockey

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:47 am

Everyone is wondering how much different the score would have been if BC wasn't missing their World Junior guys... Gophers were just missing one (Reilly)

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:00 am

What the heck... Horrible 1st period vs. Alaska Anchorage.
Better move the feet better, and get some pucks in slot, too much on perimeter... Cudos to AA for their play...

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:07 am

1-1!
Way to go Gophers... Better effort so far in 2nd...
Probably got a little talking to in between periods... :wink:

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01 am

Post by mulefarm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Will the Gophers win WCHA? If not, where will they finish? Could they be in a play in game in the final five, which would be great for revenue if they could play 3 games.

OldTimePuck00
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:24 am
Location: Minneapolis

Post by OldTimePuck00 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:05 am

mulefarm wrote:Will the Gophers win WCHA? If not, where will they finish? Could they be in a play in game in the final five, which would be great for revenue if they could play 3 games.
At this point the WCHA is mostly the Huskies to lose, but there are teams close on the fringe if they do slip more than once. The Gophers will need some losses from them and no more losses for the Gophers themselves. Its still possible...

St cloud is notorious for the late season choke. I think I see the Gophers placing third. Omaha has a weak last series with the Bulldogs after they play the Badgers, and and I dont see Mankato losing more than one to North Dakota or CC. Pressure is on the Gophs.

blueblood
Posts: 2131
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Tonka

MN vs. DU

Post by blueblood » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:21 am

Tonight's game plan of dump and chase was terrible.

Herb Brooks is rolling in his grave right now. Every time the Gophers hit the offensive blue line they gave up the puck.

If you have the talent that MN does, you dont give the other team the puck.

I could coach this team...

Post Reply