Who's not returning in 2011-12?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Post by observer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:06 pm

You're delusional if you don't think playing in the NA is better than playing AAA. Even if he only plays in half of the games (which I would highly doubt since teams in the NA don't normally commit to a high school aged kid if he's not going to fit into their plans right away), he'll still be practicing 2 hours per day against bigger, stronger players.

You must have an axe to grind with the kid and/or his family? Or maybe with Albert Lea in general?? You remind me a lot of the old hotshot. And that's not a compliment.
You know what Nickel, you don't know either. Good luck to the player and give us an update in March.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm

observer wrote:
You're delusional if you don't think playing in the NA is better than playing AAA. Even if he only plays in half of the games (which I would highly doubt since teams in the NA don't normally commit to a high school aged kid if he's not going to fit into their plans right away), he'll still be practicing 2 hours per day against bigger, stronger players.

You must have an axe to grind with the kid and/or his family? Or maybe with Albert Lea in general?? You remind me a lot of the old hotshot. And that's not a compliment.
You know what Nickel, you don't know either. Good luck to the player and give us an update in March.
Why is this your opinion?

observer

Post by observer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Because no one knows today how this upcoming winter season is going to work out for anyone. There are so many factors at play. It's not even necessarily contingent on the player and his abilities.

Very interesting decisions, and difficult ones, that we'll revisit in March.

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:21 pm

You have plenty of time to play Jr's. To be quite honest, the level of play in the NA has gone down a lot in the past 2 years, so the level of play between the NA and HS (especially Elite League) isn't as big as you would think.

EH

Post by EH » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:12 pm

mghockey18 wrote:You have plenty of time to play Jr's. To be quite honest, the level of play in the NA has gone down a lot in the past 2 years, so the level of play between the NA and HS (especially Elite League) isn't as big as you would think.

Good point.

That's what I'm saying. I have seen this kids play a few times and he's to good of a player for Albert Lea High school but not ready for the NAHL. Most kids use a third year to prepare for JRS so you can make more of a impact your last two years in JRS. The system can backfire on players or parents that push there kids. If you have a extra year use it to your advantage to get stronger by playing your level of play.

Example ( 3 year plan ) = 1. Leave high school early , go to AAA , play NAHL or USHL , D-1.

2. Leave high school early as a invite to USHL , D-1.

The NAHL gets watered down each year. Look at how many teams they have now than say 3 to 5 years ago. The more teams they add the weaker it gets.

Look at the USHL. It will only keep a smaller number of teams. That's why it's a stronger system. I think the NAHL should be a smaller and stronger feeder system for the USHL.

EH

Post by EH » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm

RSI wrote:It must have been a difficult decision for Eric Carlson, leaving home, all his friends, his teammates. Not to mention forgoing the opportunity of playing for one of the best HS coaches of all time.

Best of luck to Eric.

RSI .

Sounds like you have been drinking the Nystrom " KOOL AID " for to long. :lol:

:lol: Not to mention forgoing the opportunity of playing for one of the best HS coaches of all time. :lol:

mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:56 pm

EH wrote:
mghockey18 wrote:You have plenty of time to play Jr's. To be quite honest, the level of play in the NA has gone down a lot in the past 2 years, so the level of play between the NA and HS (especially Elite League) isn't as big as you would think.

Good point.

That's what I'm saying. I have seen this kids play a few times and he's to good of a player for Albert Lea High school but not ready for the NAHL. Most kids use a third year to prepare for JRS so you can make more of a impact your last two years in JRS. The system can backfire on players or parents that push there kids. If you have a extra year use it to your advantage to get stronger by playing your level of play.

Example ( 3 year plan ) = 1. Leave high school early , go to AAA , play NAHL or USHL , D-1.

The NAHL gets watered down each year. Look at how many teams they have now than say 3 to 5 years ago. The more teams they add the weaker it gets.

Look at the USHL. It will only keep a smaller number of teams. That's why it's a stronger system. I think the NAHL should be a smaller and stronger feeder system for the USHL.
The NAHL wants to get to 35 teams. It will be even worse. Like everyone says.....The NAHL= The No Advancement Hockey League.

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:02 pm

mghockey18 wrote:
EH wrote:

Good point.

The NAHL wants to get to 35 teams. It will be even worse. Like everyone says.....The NAHL= The No Advancement Hockey League.
Couldn't agree more, hate to see it though. The NAHL is a great league for producing quality players and many D1 committments each year, but even last season the added teams watered down the league, IMO. With more teams, they need to reach for more kids which makes for a much larger gap in talent from the top of the league to the bottom. For better development I say don't add any more teams, but hey, it's a money maker right?

thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:40 pm

the must be making MONEY ! Well if the NHL,NBA,NFL,MBL can do it (waterdown add a franchise, make more money) why not some junior league hockey program.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:20 pm

If junior hockey teams make money they add teams if they lose money they fold teams, it's pretty simple. If you're from Minnesota, yes it's a watered down leagues, heck none the teams at the JrA D3 national tournament would have beaten any team in the AA state tournament and probably none of the section runner ups either but they still grow their leagues in places outside Minnesota. Sell beer, have a few fights, and play off the movie slap shot, its more entertainment than development outside the USHL now.

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:39 am

Sorry Goldy, after watching MnJHL the past few years there are very few High school teams that could beat any of them. The Granite City team had 3 players over 6'8" last season and another that was 6'4" and 230lbs....and they all could skate. I was a MnJHL basher myself but have come around, the league serves a purpose and has a viaible spot in the MN Hockey culture. Yeah sure they fight. MN HS hockey would look a lot worse if they allowed fighting.

As for the watered down NAHL yeah they added some teams and it took a year for them to adjust and find new talent/spread the talent around. The NAHL will be stronger and more competitive this year. The established teams lost there older players and the new teams had a year to adjust and grow.

How about instead of bashing every league you just sit back, take in a few games and enjoy...............after all it's way better then watching basketball!

EH

Post by EH » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:27 am

mghockey18 wrote:
EH wrote:

Good point.

I'm not saying a player can't get to D-1 from the NAHL. You just can't rush talent. They need to take the proper levels of play to get a shot at getting to D-1. In fact there's been alot of NAHL players going to some D-1 colleges and Millatary teams. Most players end up in D-3 or quit playing.

woodley

Post by woodley » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:01 am

Anyone know where Kautz is going next year? Appears he won't be at Odessa, Texas . . . he isn't listed on their final camp roster.
http://nahlodessa.pointstreaksites.com/ ... news_29687

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:12 am

So just so I have this straight... The NA is watered down, so somebody shouldn't skip their senior year to do it. Instead, they should go play a year of AAA (to the tune of $7k or so) to hone their skills.

I just have to ask... where are all those players that are playing in the watered down NA coming from?? That's right... high school and midgets with a few Tier 3 players mixed in. If you don't think the trickle down affect has an impact at the midget level, you're just plain nuts.

I have to chuckle though. Nobody on here has even commented on the fact that Garrett Cecere (who was just named to the US Under-17 team for one of their tournaments) is leaving Shattuck to play in the NA. Doesn't that say just a little something about the caliber of play in the NA?

And another thing... just ask any above average high school player from MN whose tried... it's hard to make NA teams. When one does so, it's no small feat.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:45 pm

About 5 players left high school to go to AAA Russell Stover, 1 quit and other than Lapic are any playing above JR A Tier 3 this upcoming season?

dueling21

Post by dueling21 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Bump.

rudy

Choices

Post by rudy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Youngblood wrote:

Sorry Goldy, after watching MnJHL the past few years there are very few High school teams that could beat any of them. The Granite City team had 3 players over 6'8" last season and another that was 6'4" and 230lbs....and they all could skate. I was a MnJHL basher myself but have come around, the league serves a purpose and has a viaible spot in the MN Hockey culture. Yeah sure they fight. MN HS hockey would look a lot worse if they allowed fighting.

As for the watered down NAHL yeah they added some teams and it took a year for them to adjust and find new talent/spread the talent around. The NAHL will be stronger and more competitive this year. The established teams lost there older players and the new teams had a year to adjust and grow.

How about instead of bashing every league you just sit back, take in a few games and enjoy...............after all it's way better then watching basketball!

So, all things being equal: MNJHL v. Elite D. Which is the better choice as preparation for the high school season?

mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:21 pm

definitely elite d. Playing against future ushl/college hockey players of your age group is much better than playing against players out of high school who have no offers of any kind, and are most likely at the end of the road for their hockey careers. Plus elite d. is just flat out better hockey, and costs thousands of dollars less.

Try out for nahl/ushl teams and see what you can do. If you end up deciding to play high school hockey play in developmental leagues to get ready for the high school season, and attempt to make either of these leagues out of high school. That's just my opinion on what route is best.

rudy

D

Post by rudy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:31 am

So, you think an Elite D squad (ages 14-16) would defeat an MNJHL team (18-21)?

What about practices? don''t MNJHL teams practices far more?

gopherpuck516

Re: D

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 am

rudy wrote:So, you think an Elite D squad (ages 14-16) would defeat an MNJHL team (18-21)?

What about practices? don''t MNJHL teams practices far more?
What kind of answer are you looking for? You are comparing apples to oranges in many ways. Who cares who would win a game between an Elite D league team and a MnJHL team, that game would never happen! Elite D is far better for hockey development than MNJHL for a kid in the age range you suggest. A kid would be playing against good players his own age to better prepare himself for the HS season all while potentially getting exposure to further his hockey career and making some new friends along the way. As someone earlier said, most of the MNJHL players are playing their last competitive hockey, not to mention at a different stage in their life. If my son was 14-16 and asked me for advice on the two, this one is a no brainer.

In a few years if you look at the rosters for each league, I think you'll find more players in Elite D this year with opportunities to further their hockey career, and in 5 years I'd be willing to bet there's more Elite D players from this season on D1 rosters than MNJHL players.

mnhockey1708

Re: D

Post by mnhockey1708 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:45 am

[quote="rudy"]So, you think an Elite D squad (ages 14-16) would defeat an MNJHL team (18-21)?

What about practices? don''t MNJHL teams practices far more?[/quote]

Absolutely the elite d squad would win. They practice about the same amount, but teams in the mnjhl practice at 6 AM or 7 AM every practice. It's not designed for teenagers, it's designed for kids who are out of high schoool and looking to play a little competitive hockey. Most of them are doing it to avoid the inevitable (quitting hockey). Also you're paying thousands of dollars to these mnjhl teams, elite d does not charge thousands of dollars.

I am a strong advocate for the mnjhl, but I'm trying to put this in perspective and be realistic.

mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:48 am

Getting back on topic... NAHL rosters are starting to be completed. Are there any mn high school players that anyone knows of who have cracked a roster spot??? USHL???

rudy

D

Post by rudy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:54 am

Practice about the same amount? Don't MNJHL teams practice 4-5 days a week for at least 90 minutes, plus dryland? How does that compare to elite D?

Also, MNJHL games are 3 20-minute periods.

Sure that league's players are possibly nearing an end, but aren't they more formidable on the ice in terms of speed and strength, not to mention nearly all of them have completed 2 years or more of MN Varsity or out-of-state Midget competition?

Others noted earlier that MNJHL teams would beat most MN high school teams. Why couldn't the same same be said for an MNJHL team matching up against an Elite D roster?

mnhockey1708

Post by mnhockey1708 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:58 am

If you'll note the original question was which league is better preparation for the high school season. I think it's pretty obvious it's elite d. keep in mind we're talking about the high school season. the mnjhl has it's place but like said earlier it's comparing apples to oranges. they serve a different purpose. elite d happens to be the league that would be better for preparing for the upcoming high school season, nothing wrong with acknowledging that

rudy

Post by rudy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:03 am

mnhockey1708 wrote:If you'll note the original question was which league is better preparation for the high school season. I think it's pretty obvious it's elite d. keep in mind we're talking about the high school season. the mnjhl has it's place but like said earlier it's comparing apples to oranges. they serve a different purpose. elite d happens to be the league that would be better for preparing for the upcoming high school season, nothing wrong with acknowledging that

But what is it -- specifically -- about Elite D that makes it better for preparation? Superior coaching? More practice time? Bigger, faster skaters pushing you in practice or in games?