Adv 16 tryout results

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

urban iceman wrote:
wblhcky24 wrote:Section 1 will win with all those Shattuck kids
Thats about all they got, except for Cody Meyer of New Prague. The rest must of been used to fill out the roster!
What a terrible thing to say. Very disrespectful towards the rest of the kids that are on this team. We all know this process isn't perfect (there will be lots of griping when they announce who will move on), but for the most part, they are usually pretty close by the time they whittle it down to the kids that advance to the national level.

For those that didn't make their respective teams, work your tails off over the next year, and go get them at the 17s next spring. While this program is a good program, it's not the end all, be all.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
gopherfan202120

Post by gopherfan202120 »

[quote="nickel slots"][quote="urban iceman"][quote="wblhcky24"]Section 1 will win with all those Shattuck kids[/quote]Thats about all they got, except for Cody Meyer of New Prague. The rest must of been used to fill out the roster![/quote]

What a terrible thing to say. Very disrespectful towards the rest of the kids that are on this team. We all know this process isn't perfect (there will be lots of griping when they announce who will move on), but for the most part, they are usually pretty close by the time they whittle it down to the kids that advance to the national level.

[b]For those that didn't make their respective teams, work your tails off over the next year, and go get them at the 17s next spring. While this program is a good program, it's not the end all, be all.[/b][/quote]

definitely agree, last season i got cut from the 15s team, spent all summer playing AAA and doing camps working on getting better, come fall i made varsity as a freshman (granted we were very short on numbers) but as the season went on, i improved and i made the 16s team for my section this spring
interestedbystander

Post by interestedbystander »

gopherfan202120 wrote:definitely agree, last season i got cut from the 15s team, spent all summer playing AAA and doing camps working on getting better, come fall i made varsity as a freshman (granted we were very short on numbers) but as the season went on, i improved and i made the 16s team for my section this spring
IMHO, it's all about the resume. 3 hours is not nearly enough time to evaluate each kid. The evaluators have to rely on the resume for the most part. They know who they want, based on the resume, going into the tryout. The tryout is used to fill in the rest of the team. If the resume doesn't impress them, forget about the tryout - your time is better spent elsewhere.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I think each section is a little different but in my experience I agree that they pretty much know who they want. Just 4 years ago I watched a kid get cut from the district 8 team after lighting up the tryout. One of the coaches kids made it, then didn't even play in the festival. I think the value of being selected can sometimes be over valued. The coaches kid ended up a third line player as a senior...the kid that got cut kept right on working and is now being recruited by a number of division one programs. Every year you can make a case for a a fairly large group of kids state wide being snubbed. While it is disappointing at the time, if the kid can play eventually someone will notice.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

seven kids from Blaine. Thats impessive....
blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 »

old goalie85 wrote:seven kids from Blaine. Thats impessive....

It depends on how you view it. Relate back to what keepyourheadup stated. Everyone has there opinion and judgement on how everything is evaluated. Doesn't impose on who is right and who is wrong, but I can tell you only from my prospective there are 3 players missing on the list that would take 3 spots from the Blaine area. These players I am referring to may not have the connections or publicity like the others, but have all the ability plus more
blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 »

Section 7....9 players from Duluth East
observer

Post by observer »

How many bantams? Some of the Blaine players?
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

blueliner5 wrote:
Duluth East with that many and other quality programs with no or limited representation (ie; Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, Elk River, etc).

?
blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 »

Bronc wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:
Duluth East with that many and other quality programs with no or limited representation (ie; Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, Elk River, etc).

?
Exactly what I am referring to. The Advanced program is not about the "Advanced" player any longer. Some players do deserve to be part of the program where others are riding on there connections, name, team etc.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

9 from East is disturbing to me for a # of reasons.
blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 »

observer wrote:How many bantams? Some of the Blaine players?
Absolutely....Hard for a 9th/10th grade Varsity player to swallow when "A" Bantam individuals are chosen for the team rather than the most skilled/talented
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

blueliner5 wrote:
Absolutely....Hard for a 9th/10th grade Varsity player to swallow when "A" Bantam individuals are chosen for the team rather than the most skilled/talented
Just because you played varsity does not mean you are better than an A Bantam.

Example: Poss a player from a smaller community played varsity as a 9th or 10th Grader, but beaten out by a larger association/school A Bantam, could just be that kid was better.

Example:Top A Bantam that could of made the HS Varsity player on the top two lines chose to play on the association A Bantam team, could be that kid was better.

Duluth East has an entire team if you combine the 16&17 teams (14)?

Their HS team was outstanding, but their A Bantam team was ok.

Always fun to discuss on who made it and why.

You are correct though not always the best players try out or get selected for a variety of reasons.
Dirty Coaches

Post by Dirty Coaches »

Impressive.........What's impressive is that the Blaine High School coach picked the team. What does that say about the selection process?
Dirty Coaches

Post by Dirty Coaches »

keepyourheadup wrote:I think each section is a little different but in my experience I agree that they pretty much know who they want. Just 4 years ago I watched a kid get cut from the district 8 team after lighting up the tryout. One of the coaches kids made it, then didn't even play in the festival. I think the value of being selected can sometimes be over valued. The coaches kid ended up a third line player as a senior...the kid that got cut kept right on working and is now being recruited by a number of division one programs. Every year you can make a case for a a fairly large group of kids state wide being snubbed. While it is disappointing at the time, if the kid can play eventually someone will notice.
Your point is valid. But why not do what's right and take the hard-working kid up front. That coach that puts his kid on the team didn't do him son any favors. The bottom line is that you need to work hard like you said and someone will notice it. It's that or you spend a lot of money trying out with the various junior teams and hope it pays off.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I'd like to see 3A get moved into 1AA/1A or up with 6A. The amount of travel they're asking out of some of those kids is ridiculous not to mention that 3AA and 6AA are pretty darn good limiting the opportunities for 3A and 6A kids further.

It doesn't matter how good you are or aren't but if you're from a non Lakeville school south of the cities your opportunities are very slim, no kids made the elite league for the second year in a row, now you have a host of Lakeville and Shattuck players making up the 1AA/1A team and only 1 back up goalie from the entire section 3A.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

The Blaine coach picks the kids??? Does the same go for Section7??
ddd10

Post by ddd10 »

Section 7 evaluators were from Iron Range and other areas. No one from Duluth.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

ddd-Thanks.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

I was at the Section 5 tryouts. My son was on the ice (didn't make it, btw).

A couple of things I noticed...there were a TON of defensemen trying out....I think close to 30 total....this means that each defenseman got FAR fewer shifts than the forwards. Basically, they were on the ice for one of every seven - eight shifts.

I don't have a problem with ANY of the defensemen chosen, they were all worthy and very good players....yes, they have that "resume", but greatly deserved, IMO. I mean, who would argue with a corps of Brodzinski, Gross, Swingle, Scheid, Pionk, etc.? They are ALL very talented players.

The forwards I can't speak too....(as you can tell, my son wasn't a forward). It does strike me as odd the # of Blaine A Bantam forwards that did crack the line-up....Probably not a coincidence that Aus (Blaine Varsity) is coaching the team.
Gems

Post by Gems »

Who evaluates the players at the Spring Festival and Final 54?
blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 »

Bronc wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:
Just because you played varsity does not mean you are better than an A Bantam.

Example: Poss a player from a smaller community played varsity as a 9th or 10th Grader, but beaten out by a larger association/school A Bantam, could just be that kid was better.

Example:Top A Bantam that could of made the HS Varsity player on the top two lines chose to play on the association A Bantam team, could be that kid was better.

Duluth East has an entire team if you combine the 16&17 teams (14)?

Their HS team was outstanding, but their A Bantam team was ok.

Always fun to discuss on who made it and why.

You are correct though not always the best players try out or get selected for a variety of reasons.
Sorry Bronc I didn't elaborate further...I am referring to 9th and 10th graders within the NWSC that played varsity hockey this past season rather than a smaller community which I can see. Playing Varsity within this conferense as a 9th grader should have some merit, but now I know why since Blaine hosts 7 players all due to the coach. Thanks for the clarification.
blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 »

muckandgrind wrote:I was at the Section 5 tryouts. My son was on the ice (didn't make it, btw).

A couple of things I noticed...there were a TON of defensemen trying out....I think close to 30 total....this means that each defenseman got FAR fewer shifts than the forwards. Basically, they were on the ice for one of every seven - eight shifts.

I don't have a problem with ANY of the defensemen chosen, they were all worthy and very good players....yes, they have that "resume", but greatly deserved, IMO. I mean, who would argue with a corps of Brodzinski, Gross, Swingle, Scheid, Pionk, etc.? They are ALL very talented players.

The forwards I can't speak too....(as you can tell, my son wasn't a forward). It does strike me as odd the # of Blaine A Bantam forwards that did crack the line-up....Probably not a coincidence that Aus (Blaine Varsity) is coaching the team.
Muckandgrind gonna have to disagree with you on the defensemen they picked. Your son could of been the one chosen, but your last name was not reflected on the Blaine coaching staff's roster this past season and I am not talking about Brodzinski who is well deserving
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

With the amount of d-men at the Section 5A/AA camp, should there be a limit on the number of d-men and forwards allowed at each camp? I can see at most 8 D on each team, and at most 12-15 forwards on each team. And that is pushing the limits for kids showcasing their talents. From the looks of the Section 5A/AA d-men, there is a very solid showing there. Gross made the NTDP tryout, Brodzinski was an All-Conference NWSC player as a Sophomore, Scheid was a very solid d-man for Aus at Blaine, as well as the two others muckandgrind mentioned before had decent years

Looking at the roster, one could conclude Aus had some pull in selecting kids, BUT remember there are other evaluators at the tryout that have a major say as well.

It is unfortunate for the Bantam players at this tryout. These players are at a huge disadvantage to those who played at a high level varsity program this summer.
Hscout000

Post by Hscout000 »

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:37 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the amount of d-men at the Section 5A/AA camp, should there be a limit on the number of d-men and forwards allowed at each camp? I can see at most 8 D on each team, and at most 12-15 forwards on each team. And that is pushing the limits for kids showcasing their talents. From the looks of the Section 5A/AA d-men, there is a very solid showing there. Gross made the NTDP tryout, Brodzinski was an All-Conference NWSC player as a Sophomore, Scheid was a very solid d-man for Aus at Blaine, as well as the two others muckandgrind mentioned before had decent years

Schied never got off the bench as a defensemen. Only played when moved to forward at the end of the year.