Hermantown's skrbich commits to princeton

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wblhcky24

Hermantown's skrbich commits to princeton

Post by wblhcky24 »

Hearmantown's garrett skrbich commits to Princeton according to star tribunes Michael rand
rand says garrett emailed him to let him know about his commitment
2012 pond hockey All Star
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Nice, I know Yale and Harvard were looking him to.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Reggie wrote:Nice, I know Yale and Harvard were looking him to.
Wow, Princeton, Harvard and Yale were all after him - must be a smart guy. It shows the value of being both good at hockey AND in the classroom.
shyt

Post by shyt »

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/197978/

Link to todays article in the duluth newspaper
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

shyt wrote:http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/197978/

Quote from linked article: "Though Ivy League schools don’t hand out athletic scholarships, Skrbich, a 4.0 student who ranks No. 1 in his class, said he expects to receive nearly a full academic scholarship."

Puzzling, because to the best of my knowledge the Ivy schools don't award academic scholarships either. If he is receive nearly a full ride, I believe it would be based on financial need only.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

MNHockeyFan wrote:

Quote from linked article: "Though Ivy League schools don’t hand out athletic scholarships, Skrbich, a 4.0 student who ranks No. 1 in his class, said he expects to receive nearly a full academic scholarship."

Puzzling, because to the best of my knowledge the Ivy schools don't award academic scholarships either. If he is receive nearly a full ride, I believe it would be based on financial need only.
That would be correct.

News-Tribune. :roll:
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

karl(east) wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

The estimated cost of tuition/fees/room for the 2011-2012 school year is almost $53,000..... :shock: :shock: :shock: Holy Great Sons of Egypt that's a lot of money
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

hshockeyfan53 wrote:The estimated cost of tuition/fees/room for the 2011-2012 school year is almost $53,000..... :shock: :shock: :shock: Holy Great Sons of Egypt that's a lot of money
I'm not sure about Princeton, but at Harvard students who get accepted (whether they play sports or not) get a completely free ride if their parents' income is below $75,000. At least that was the number I last heard - it may be higher now.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
hshockeyfan53 wrote:The estimated cost of tuition/fees/room for the 2011-2012 school year is almost $53,000..... :shock: :shock: :shock: Holy Great Sons of Egypt that's a lot of money
I'm not sure about Princeton, but at Harvard students who get accepted (whether they play sports or not) get a completely free ride if their parents' income is below $75,000. At least that was the number I last heard - it may be higher now.
Just about all the East Coast "elite" private schools give loads of financial aid. It is not uncommon for students to attend them to pay less than they would have had they attended their local state school. Of course, the people who can pay sticker price do...and there are quite a few of those people attending these schools as well.
jancze5

rrr

Post by jancze5 »

In the case of Yale and Harvard, if a student's family earns less than $60,000 a year, they will pay nothing for their education. At both schools, the percentage the student pays goes up incrementally (from zero to 10 percent of annual income) with family earnings of $60,000 to $120,000 a year [source: Fitzsimmons and Yale Public Affairs]. In 2008, Dartmouth eliminated tuition for students from families with incomes under $75,000 and extended its need-blind admissions policy to international students [source: Dartmouth Public Affairs].

Princeton is unique among Ivies (and all U.S. colleges for that matter) for its "no loans" policy for all students. If you get into Princeton, the college will supply grants -- not loans -- to pay for all demonstrated need, allowing each and every student to graduate debt-free. The "no loans" policy proved incredibly successful for attracting low-income applicants to Princeton. From 1998-99 (when the no loans system was launched) to 2005-06, matriculation of low-income student doubled at Princeton [source: FinAid].
New England Prep School Hockey Recruiter