International Cup!!

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

GREEN MONSTER

International Cup!!

Post by GREEN MONSTER »

Not much talk on the outcomes of the International Cup hosted by the Super Rink this past weekend in Blaine. Has it just become to much of the same ol' same ol'? Or did everyone know who the champs were before it even started.

10U Machine 01 wins 3-1 over Velocity
12U Tier I Ice Edge win 4-2 over STE Red
12U Tier II American MN Jr. North Stars win 2-1 over Northern Hawks
12U Tier II National Machin 00 wins 3-2 over Red River Pike
14U Tier I American Team Reebok wins 3-1 over 97 Ice Cats
14U Tier I National Minkota Wildcats win 5-0 over the Scoreless Score Orange
14U Tier II Wisconsin Alliance wins 5-3 over Northern Hawks
16U Tier I Ice Cougars win 2-1 over the Lake Superior Stars
16U Tier II MN Blizzard wins 4-3 over Northern Wings
19U BEAVER PRIDE wins 5-0 over Polar Xpress

So there are a couple I would have picked to win right away, but it looks as though it is the same old teams playing for the show.
WHICH BEGS THE QUESTION.

IS MINNESOTA AAA HOCKEY BECOMING TO PREDICTABLE?

Also, speaking from a competitive standpoint, should teams try to travel to get a wide assortment of opponents rather than stay in the cities and play the same ol' teams again and agian? Don't get me wrong, some great hockey in the cities, as long as you get to play the right teams.
The Bone

Post by The Bone »

I think 10U went this way:

10U- Velocity 00 wins 3-1 over Machine 01
panpan111

International Cup

Post by panpan111 »

Too many teams...not enough talent! Championship games were good and predictable, but the overall depth and quality of the teams was embarrasing.
Tier I/II has helped, but there is not enough skilled players on most of these teams even at the "Tier I" level. Not worth the $$$$. Scrimmage Series and Roadtrips are the best options!
HockeyssmNC

Post by HockeyssmNC »

The U19 game was actually a great game. I have never seen that Polar Express play before but they are young and good. They pass very well, cycle the heck out of the puck and they are all very good skaters. I talked to one of the parents of the players and most of those girls are from North Dakota. They are ll 16 and 17 year olds and even a couple of 15 year olds. They played half a Bemidji State team so that outcome was predictable. If it wasnt for a few untimely pentalties and a few posts, that game could have gone either way.
redarmydad

Post by redarmydad »

panpan111 wrote:Too many teams...not enough talent! Championship games were good and predictable, but the overall depth and quality of the teams was embarrasing.
Tier I/II has helped, but there is not enough skilled players on most of these teams even at the "Tier I" level. Not worth the $$$$. Scrimmage Series and Roadtrips are the best options!
Couldn't agree more. As far as travel is concerned, I really don't think a team really needs to play in all of the local tournaments. If ya hit a couple, say one in the spring anemone in the fall, you should get a Tate of what Minnesoata AAA has to offer. Then spend the rest of the time traveling to East coast, Canada, Chicago, Michigan. I know there are a lot of financial reasons to not travel, but if you do your do diligence, you can make it affordable for everyone involved. It will create experiences the ladies will always remember.

In regards to talent, as the ladies get older, and us parents are around the AAA seasons enough, we all tend to know who the upper teams are and agree that setting up scrimmages and seeking out the upper talent to get the challenge we are seeking is the best option.

Still good to see this "phenomena" of girls hockey grow into the parent and player driven monster that it is. And not showing signs of stopping, with over 70 girls teams in the I cup and the majority of them from Minnesota! All good things.
InigoMontoya

Re: International Cup

Post by InigoMontoya »

panpan111 wrote:Too many teams...not enough talent! Championship games were good and predictable, but the overall depth and quality of the teams was embarrasing.
There are not enough teams. When girls summer hockey can support tournaments that divide teams into elite/open AND by birth year, then you'll see fewer lopsided scores. Currently in a 12U game you will see a line of second-half 99's trying to keep up against a line of first-half 98's - girls heading into their first year of wintertime 12U will rarely be able to keep up with girls that have already had 2 years of 12U and are preparing for varsity tryouts.

On the boys' side, the 99's have been playing together for several years now, the teams have settled out a bit, and elite v. open is clearer. Granted, the 2 or 3 or 4 outstanding teams at each age level are still going to be drawn to Chicago and Winnipeg, but the vast majority of kids are able to find plenty of appropriate competition within a couple hours of their homes.