Hockey Hub Top 100 Players

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PanthersIn2011

Post by PanthersIn2011 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:39 pm

elliott70 wrote:
PanthersIn2011 wrote:Mayasich has four state titles, a ton of records and a nice post-high school career at the U of M. I don't see anyone else with those credentials. I think he's #1 on this list.

I'm in the camp that believes the great players would be great in any era.
Sheehy - 3 state titles and a 1 state runner-up
4 years at BC and a pro career
Sheehy has a great resume. But one less title. Mayasich owns the state tournament record book. To me, Mayasich is a clear choice. If I bled Bronco purple, I would feel differently.

It will be interesting to see just how much titles come into play. Specifically, how will Boucha, Broten and Housley stack up against Antonovich, Crowley and Sheehy.

It's an impossible task. This has been great fun.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:58 pm

The Exiled One wrote:Would some of you care to take a crack at ranking the final 11?
My guess. (Not iron-clad. I could look at it tomorrow and come up with a slightly different result.)

2) Mike Antonovich
5) Henry Boucha
3) Neal Broten
8) Mike Crowley
10) Phil Housley
11) Willard Ikola
7) John Matchefts
1) John Mayasich
9) Kyle Rau
6) Tim Sheehy
4) Dave Spehar

There are points for winning a state title, it makes me wonder if Sheehy and Matchefts and Ikola end up finishing ahead of Broten and Boucha. Even though Aaron Broten had more HS state tourney appearances than his brother Neal - and probably more points (g,a) - he finished behind him in total points (by this scoring system). It isn't like there's a perfect measuring stick for what these guys did...it's pretty subjective!!
Be kind. Rewind.

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:08 pm

to everyone who thought I was wrong

Kyle Rau #11

wat now?
The best, period

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:56 pm

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:to everyone who thought I was wrong

Kyle Rau #11

wat now?
Congrats

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:26 pm

O-townClown wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:Would some of you care to take a crack at ranking the final 11?
My guess. (Not iron-clad. I could look at it tomorrow and come up with a slightly different result.)

2) Mike Antonovich MAYBE A 5 - NOT ANY HIGHER.
5) Henry Boucha 2 , 3 OR 4
3) Neal Broten 2 MAYBE 3
8) Mike Crowley MAYBE 6
10) Phil Housley 3 4 OR 5
11) Willard Ikola 10
7) John Matchefts 8 OR 9
1) John Mayasich # ONE
9) Kyle Rau DONE
6) Tim Sheehy 2, 3 OR 4
4) Dave Spehar 3, 4 OR 5

There are points for winning a state title, it makes me wonder if Sheehy and Matchefts and Ikola end up finishing ahead of Broten and Boucha. Even though Aaron Broten had more HS state tourney appearances than his brother Neal - and probably more points (g,a) - he finished behind him in total points (by this scoring system). It isn't like there's a perfect measuring stick for what these guys did...it's pretty subjective!!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:30 pm

1) John Mayasich
2) Neal Broten

3) Tim Sheehy
4) Henry Boucha

5) Phil Housley
6) Mike Crowley

7) Dave Spehar
8) Mike Antonovich

9) John Matchefts
10) Willard Ikola

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:18 pm

John Matchefts in at 10

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:12 pm

starmvp wrote:John Matchefts in at 10
Would have figured him to be a couple places higher.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:57 pm

east hockey wrote:
starmvp wrote:John Matchefts in at 10
Would have figured him to be a couple places higher.

Lee
I was thinking about doing my Top 10 until I started thinking what a crapshoot/guessing game it would be. But since Matchefts was the only remaining "contender" that I wasn't very familiar with - other than I had just heard of him - I was going to put him in at No. 10 (really!). After that, it WAS going to be pretty much a guessing game for me.

But I do think Mayasich will come in at No. 1, and Neal Broten will finish No. 2. Beyond those two, I have no idea what the final ranking of Nos. 3-9 will be. They were all tremendous players.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:15 pm

I'm no historian, but I'm surprised nobody has Housley in the top four. All I really know about him is that he was NHL ready three months after HS... which basically means he was just about equivalent to being an NHL player IN HIGH SCHOOL! He was drafted 6th overall, higher than any MN high schooler minus Blake Wheeler. Why wouldn't he get all 185 of his HS points?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:38 pm

The Exiled One wrote:I'm no historian, but I'm surprised nobody has Housley in the top four. All I really know about him is that he was NHL ready three months after HS... which basically means he was just about equivalent to being an NHL player IN HIGH SCHOOL! He was drafted 6th overall, higher than any MN high schooler minus Blake Wheeler. Why wouldn't he get all 185 of his HS points?
I think they only had one tourney appearance. Like it or not, this seems to favor kids that played in the state tournament a lot. Big performances on the biggest stage. They had the Edina West upset, but beyond that?

Maybe he gets them. I think he won't be in the Top 5.
Be kind. Rewind.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:33 pm

O-townClown wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:I'm no historian, but I'm surprised nobody has Housley in the top four. All I really know about him is that he was NHL ready three months after HS... which basically means he was just about equivalent to being an NHL player IN HIGH SCHOOL! He was drafted 6th overall, higher than any MN high schooler minus Blake Wheeler. Why wouldn't he get all 185 of his HS points?
I think they only had one tourney appearance. Like it or not, this seems to favor kids that played in the state tournament a lot. Big performances on the biggest stage. They had the Edina West upset, but beyond that?

Maybe he gets them. I think he won't be in the Top 5.
You're probably right, but if he gets all 185 of the HS points, he's pretty much guaranteed to tie or beat Broten. The state championship points category is only for championships, which Broten doesn't have either. That could be the flaw that messes up the top ten, but they'll probably adjust the HS points to compensate. I guess we'll see.

Also, concerning state championship points, I believe Bianchi is the only player on the list with three championships. He earned 8 of 10 points. Sheehy and Mayasich also have three each, correct? Or did Mayasich play varsity as an eight grader? Will either of them get 10 of 10 if Bianchi didn't?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Dave Spehar #9.

PanthersIn2011

x

Post by PanthersIn2011 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Housley played in two tournamanets: '80 and '81. But the point is still valid -- no championships.

I believe that Mayasich has four titles -- '48 - '51.

Pot stirring question of the day: does Ikola belong in the list of top 10 players? Do you believe he was the best goaltender in the history of high school hockey?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:00 pm

elliott70 wrote:Dave Spehar #9.
I think Spehar was one of the harder players to rank--I could have seen him going anywhere between 2 and 10, depending on what exactly they valued. Apparently they decided he belonged on the low end.

Pros:
-Arguably the most impressive State Tournament performer since Mayasich, with the stats to back it up. And he did it in an era in which it was harder for a single player to dominate the game.
-Highest-scoring AA player in state history (and by a fairly large margin, I believe)
-A flair for the dramatic
-He has something of a reputation as floater, but in the video I've seen, he sure wasn't afraid to throw his body around from time to time.

Cons:
-He got some help from a very talented team. From Locker, yes, but also from a very strong and deep defensive corps that fed him a lot of those breakout passes and played so well in their own zone that Spehar could get away with not playing as much defense. (I was mildly disappointed Dylan Mills didn't crack the top 100.)
-Unremarkable post-HS career
-Not winning a second state title his senior year

I would have put him a few spots higher, though I admit I'm not exactly an impartial observer on that one. It's hard to imagine what else he could have done to build up his high school credentials any more.

northern_guy

Re: x

Post by northern_guy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 pm

PanthersIn2011 wrote:Housley played in two tournamanets: '80 and '81. But the point is still valid -- no championships.

I believe that Mayasich has four titles -- '48 - '51.

Pot stirring question of the day: does Ikola belong in the list of top 10 players? Do you believe he was the best goaltender in the history of high school hockey?
absolutely not...seems like a waste to have an old goalie taking up a spot from a more deserving player (skater)...i bet i could have really been something too back inthe 50's with some sears robuck catalogs strapped to my shins and a leather bowl on my head. please.....i think spehar deserved to be higher than #9 too...this list is about best highschool players yet they put weight on their post highschool success. george pelawa never played past highschool nor ever won a tournament championship, nor scored as many goals as spehar but he is awfully high on this list too. i question the extremely arbitrary scoring system. but it is fun to read the great stories about each player.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 pm

But still the #1 penalty shot goal celebration. :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

The Exiled One

Re: x

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:11 pm

PanthersIn2011 wrote:I believe that Mayasich has four titles -- '48 - '51.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that... I'd still like clarification. I think he was in eight grade during the '47-'48 season. Which, if true, means he may or may not have been playing varsity.

EDIT: Never mind, I see he did participate in all four according to this...

http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.com/JohnMayasich.html

Hounds19

Post by Hounds19 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:45 pm

east hockey wrote:

Lee
I truly cannot believe he was not in the top 5. What more do you possibly want from a high school player? yes he had a talented team, but 100 points twice..i mean cmon. I suppose everyone in the top ten could be moved around somewhat. And yes, his post high school career was not as impressive, but realize that it was his choice. The story goes that he lost his love for the game, which is dissapointing, but just think what he could have done if he never gave up on the game

northern_guy

Post by northern_guy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Hounds19 wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
I truly cannot believe he was not in the top 5. What more do you possibly want from a high school player? yes he had a talented team, but 100 points twice..i mean cmon. I suppose everyone in the top ten could be moved around somewhat. And yes, his post high school career was not as impressive, but realize that it was his choice. The story goes that he lost his love for the game, which is dissapointing, but just think what he could have done if he never gave up on the game
he should have been #2 or 3 on this list i think. n broten #1, spehar #2.....mayasich #9........ikola somewhere in the 70-80 range.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm

east hockey wrote:

Lee
Link?

Hounds19

Post by Hounds19 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:45 pm

edgeless2 wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Link?
I have also been looking for a link for the state championship game last year??? would really enjoy watching it again...

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:21 pm

edgeless2 wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Link?
From the 1995 championship game against Moorhead. If you saw the game, then you remember the celebration Dave did after his penalty shot goal.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:05 am

east hockey wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Link?
From the 1995 championship game against Moorhead. If you saw the game, then you remember the celebration Dave did after his penalty shot goal.

Lee
Must not be that memorable to me. I saw the game and can't remember it. But, I will always remember the Goldsworthy shuffle....

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:05 pm

east hockey wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Link?

Lee
I'll have to ask him about it. Im surprised there is no YouTube. Have they run it in highlight videos during the state tourney?