Hockey Hub Top 100 Players

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:47 am

Tim Sheehy will be in the top ten.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:26 am

elliott70 wrote:Tim Sheehy will be in the top ten.
Deservedly so!

fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:33 pm

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:Kyle rau will be remembered as top ten of all time.
I'd put Hanowski before Rau and Hanowski will probably finish around the 20-30 range. I understand he played for Little Falls but 400 points in 4 years is an achievement that most likely will stay for a looong time.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:42 pm

fivehole628 wrote:
I'd put Hanowski before Rau and Hanowski will probably finish around the 20-30 range. I understand he played for Little Falls but 400 points in 4 years is an achievement that most likely will stay for a looong time.
I wouldn't put Hanowski close to Rau. The kid was a leader on a two time HS Class AA champion, a great scorer against top end competition and won Mr. Hockey. I am not saying Rau should be Top 10 though.

PS - Hanowski ended up at 70.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Okay, they've posted up to #30. When they got a month out I figured I could take a stab at the remainder.

Top 10

John Mayasich
Neal Broten
Henry Boucha
Phil Housley
Aaron Broten
John Matchefts
Dave Spehar
Kyle Rau
Corey Millen
Scott Bloom

Next Dozen

Willard Ikola
Mike Antonovich
George Pelawa
Tom Chorske
Mike Crowley
Johnny Pohl
Bill Baker
Tim Sheehy
Ben Clymer
Matt Cullen
Mike Ramsey
Blake Wheeler *

Here is a list of accomplished HS players that I remember. Do they make it? It would seem they have credentials equal to several of the people already listed, but I'm not sure I can see them cracking the Top 30.

Scott Kleinendorst
Pete Hankinson - state champion, Gopher captain
Ken Gernander - went on to play in NHL
Kris Miller - Mr. Hockey
Jason Miller - 1987 state champion
Todd Richards

Here is a list of longtime NHL players from Minnesota. I don't know as much about some of their HS achievements. Do they make it?

Reed Larson
Jamie Langenbrunner *
Dave Maley - 1982 state champion
Gary Sargent
Dean Talafous
Joel Otto
Tommy Williams *
Shjon Podein
Bret Hedican - 1000 games
Jordan Leopold – NTDP *
Matt Niskanen
Toby Petersen
Brian Lee
Jason Blake

Who did I miss?

It's interesting to think of personal favorites that aren't going to make the list. This has been a fun lead up to the new season.

(Stars added to reflect those I have been told are ineligible.)
Last edited by O-townClown on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be kind. Rewind.

wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:39 pm

You have to had played ur senior year so wheeler,langenbrunner and leopold wouldn't be eligible
2012 pond hockey All Star

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:30 am

wblhcky24 wrote:You have to had played ur senior year so wheeler,langenbrunner and leopold wouldn't be eligible
I believe that's also the case for Tommy Williams, who attended Duluth Central but his dad sent him up to Canada to play in a junior league (this was way before they formed the USHL or other junior leagues here in the U.S.). If Williams hadn't left early to go play in Canada he would be in the Top 100 for sure. He went on to star for the 1960 Olympic team (youngest player on the team and assisted on the winning goal to beat the Soviets 3-2) and he then played in the NHL for about 10 years (and back then was very rare for a U.S. player to play in the NHL).

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 am

O-townClown, I believe we will see Phil Hoene, who starred for Duluth Cathedral back in the late 60's, somewhere in the Top 30. He's mentioned in the write up of Mike Randolph at #80.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks.

In the scoring system it doesn't mention the Sr year thing. I found a list of nominees and do notice that all the guys you mention aren't on it.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Be kind. Rewind.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14 am

Gopher Blog wrote:
fivehole628 wrote:
I wouldn't put Hanowski close to Rau. The kid was a leader on a two time HS Class AA champion, a great scorer against top end competition and won Mr. Hockey. I am not saying Rau should be Top 10 though.

=D>

Glad to see not everyone is viewing the world through purple tinted glasses.
The U invented swagger.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:19 am

I'd guess Paul Butters wil end up in the list, I don 't know he could not be.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:29 am

I'm as big a homer as any other SCSU fan, but I don't have a problem with Hanowski at 70. I don't think Rau makes top ten though. I think *checks homer hat is on* Cullen has a better shot at the top ten than Rau. Hedican should be coming up pretty soon.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Bill Baker at 29.
Be kind. Rewind.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:53 pm

O-townClown wrote:Okay, they've posted up to #30. When they got a month out I figured I could take a stab at the remainder.

Top 10

John Mayasich
Neal Broten
Henry Boucha
Phil Housley
Aaron Broten
John Matchefts
Dave Spehar
Kyle Rau
Corey Millen
Scott Bloom

Next Dozen

Willard Ikola
Mike Antonovich
George Pelawa
Tom Chorske
Mike Crowley
Johnny Pohl
Bill Baker
Tim Sheehy
Ben Clymer
Matt Cullen
Mike Ramsey
Blake Wheeler *

Here is a list of accomplished HS players that I remember. Do they make it? It would seem they have credentials equal to several of the people already listed, but I'm not sure I can see them cracking the Top 30.

Scott Kleinendorst
Kris Miller - Mr. Hockey
Todd Richards

Here is a list of longtime NHL players from Minnesota. I don't know as much about some of their HS achievements. Do they make it?

Reed Larson
Jamie Langenbrunner *
Gary Sargent
Dean Talafous
Joel Otto
Tommy Williams *
Shjon Podein
Jordan Leopold – NTDP *
Matt Niskanen
Toby Petersen
Brian Lee
Jason Blake

Who did I miss?

It's interesting to think of personal favorites that aren't going to make the list. This has been a fun lead up to the new season.

What about Paul Broten...

defense

Post by defense » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:54 am

Brian Lee and Jason Blake out of Moorhead are NHLers...... Did ya forget Matt Cullen?????

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Matt Cullen checked in at #28, lower than I expected. In the story about him it mentions that Greenway won two state titles in the Sixties. I didn't realize that when making my list, so Mike Antonovich should be in top 5.
Be kind. Rewind.

fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:
fivehole628 wrote:

=D>

Glad to see not everyone is viewing the world through purple tinted glasses.
Hmm, looks like I was a little off :shock:

defense

Post by defense » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:16 pm

O-townClown wrote:Matt Cullen checked in at #28, lower than I expected. In the story about him it mentions that Greenway won two state titles in the Sixties. I didn't realize that when making my list, so Mike Antonovich should be in top 5.
My apologies, I hadn't seen his name on the list....

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:24 pm

I think Crowley will be in the top 10.

One name that most likely won't be seen, but should have been in the top 100 was Dan Carlson at Edina. He was the all-time leading scorer at Edina (don't know if he still is, Everson may have passed him) and the '97 StarTrib Metro POY. He basically single handedly led Edina to the '97 title, one which they had no business winning.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I think Crowley will be in the top 10.

One name that most likely won't be seen, but should have been in the top 100 was Dan Carlson at Edina. He was the all-time leading scorer at Edina (don't know if he still is, Everson may have passed him) and the '97 StarTrib Metro POY. He basically single handedly led Edina to the '97 title, one which they had no business winning.
i agree i also think another edina guy should have made the top 100 probably around the 90's but anders lee, best player of that great edina team put up lots of points and so far he has had a great career for the irish

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Snap Happy wrote:
O-townClown wrote:Okay, they've posted up to #30. When they got a month out I figured I could take a stab at the remainder.

Top 10

John Mayasich
Neal Broten
Henry Boucha
Phil Housley
Aaron Broten
John Matchefts
Dave Spehar
Kyle Rau
Corey Millen
Scott Bloom

Next Dozen

Willard Ikola
Mike Antonovich
George Pelawa
Tom Chorske
Mike Crowley
Johnny Pohl
Bill Baker
Tim Sheehy
Ben Clymer
Matt Cullen
Mike Ramsey
Blake Wheeler *

Scott Kleinendorst
Kris Miller - Mr. Hockey
Todd Richards

Reed Larson
Jamie Langenbrunner *
Gary Sargent
Dean Talafous
Joel Otto
Tommy Williams *
Shjon Podein
Jordan Leopold – NTDP *
Matt Niskanen
Toby Petersen
Brian Lee
Jason Blake

Who did I miss?

What about Paul Broten...
I guess Paul wasn't quite as prolific as his older bro's... Will he still make it?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Doc: I didn't live in Minnesota at the time. One friend says Dan Carlson is the best Edina player he's seen, which includes all the guys mentioned on the list so far. Maybe he does crack the Top 30. I know there are a few guys not on my guess list above that will pop up.

Green: I can't recall, but he probably has state tournament experience with St. Thomas Academy as well. I think he was a Varsity player in 8th grade.

Snap: I'll be stunned if Paul Broten makes the list in the Top 28. Every year there are good HS players. We're up to the point that these guys are the ones you talk about forever.

Can't believe nobody nominated Dan Tousignant! We're talking only about great HS players. I remember watching him play every other shift at Center for Kennedy one afternoon at BIG as a freshman. For the rest of his HS career the other Lake South teams had to figure out how to stop him. Dallas Miller too, whose brother Jason was nominated.
Be kind. Rewind.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:41 am

Yeah, really suprised with Matt Cullen at #28. Thought he would definitely be top 15. So basically that guarantees Ryan Kraft of Moorhead doesn't make the list, which is insane because the liklihood of him being ranked higher than Cullen is minimal. Have to agree with what has been said about Dan Carlson, 97 Edina grad as well. I have seen a lot of great Edina HS players and he was one of the best and in my opinion deserves a top 100 nod. Doesn't appear like Dan Trebil will make the list either...as far as some great players from the 90s are concerned, I sure hope Erik Westrum, apple valley-97 (who no one has mentioned) and aaron miskovich grand rapids-97 make the list, although almost being in the top 25 now is doubtful...I also think an argument for jeff taffe and dan welch both 99 grads from hastings could be made for them both at least cracking the top 100 as they were absolutely dominant hs players and the 2 best hs players other than paul martin from maybe 1998-2003.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:11 am

Top Ten (alphabetically)

Antonovich
Boucha
N. Broten
Crowley
Housley
Matchefts
Mayasich
Sheehy
Spehar

and a player to be named later.

Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 am

elliott70 wrote:Top Ten (alphabetically)

Antonovich
Boucha
N. Broten
Crowley
Housley
Matchefts
Mayasich
Sheehy
Spehar

and a player to be named later.
A. Broten