Thoughts on Duluth East?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

allstatebenders

Thoughts on Duluth East?

Post by allstatebenders »

Some "experts" have been saying DE could possibly have a perfect season and a win the state title with ease this year. Is this true, or is it all hype?

What do you think about DE's chances this year?
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on Duluth East?

Post by east hockey »

allstatebenders wrote:Some "experts" have been saying DE could possibly have a perfect season and a win the state title with ease this year. Is this true, or is it all hype?

Perfect season? No.

Win state? Possibly.

Favorite in 7AA? Absolutely.

It's a long season, one which, by the way, won't start for two more months. A lot can happen. One or more of their top players could get injured. Two new goalies to replace JoJo, neither with (any?) varsity experience. The chemistry might be different. Teams better than this one didn't make state (Elk River & Eden Prairie in 2000 come to mind, many other examples)

Win state with ease? I don't recall anybody suggesting that but thanks for playing. At least a couple teams (Eagan and Maple Grove come to mind) will be serious contenders along with East this coming season.

I say it's foolish to crown anybody yet or even think of this team going undefeated (which hasn't happened in Class AA since Jefferson in 1992-93).

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
dlhhockey

Post by dlhhockey »

allstatebenders wrote:Some "experts" have been saying DE could possibly have a perfect season and a win the state title with ease this year. Is this true, or is it all hype?

They do well in the season, probably losing to a couple of cities teams including Maple Grove again. It comes to an end at sections due to goaltending. Randolph has made some choices this summer without talking to his goalie coach (which is hypocritical of him when he stands up in the front of the banquet and says he knows nothing about goaltending. You're right Mike, you don't and never have). It's going to come back and bite him when he needs it most as it has in years past. The good core group thinks they have a chance so that's why they've stayed around this year when they could have easily left. I give them credit for willing to suck it up and take Randolph's sh** for one more year.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

dlhhockey wrote:

They do well in the season, probably losing to a couple of cities teams including Maple Grove again. It comes to an end at sections due to goaltending. Randolph has made some choices this summer without talking to his goalie coach (which is hypocritical of him when he stands up in the front of the banquet and says he knows nothing about goaltending. You're right Mike, you don't and never have). It's going to come back and bite him when he needs it most as it has in years past. The good core group thinks they have a chance so that's why they've stayed around this year when they could have easily left. I give them credit for willing to suck it up and take Randolph's sh** for one more year.
Sour grapes, eh? Considering who you are, I mean...

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Have to ask; did you forget the password to your other username so had to re-register? :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
slyer

Post by slyer »

allstatebenders i wonder which player you are? ask your teamates what they think
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

slyer wrote:allstatebenders i wonder which player you are? ask your teamates what they think
He's a fan, not a player.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
dlhhockey

Post by dlhhockey »

east hockey wrote:
dlhhockey wrote:

Lee
I thought it might take a little longer for you to throw your cheap comment out there.
Sour, you bet. And what about? Let's try Randolph breaking some rules by telling my kid not to come try out in October (the longest conversation he's had with him in 1 1/2 years and nice to to take our $350 for the summer). How about a player skimming by on the rules and "living" in Duluth while the parents still have a homesteaded house in Sartell. I bet they can't get out of town fast enough come 6/2013. How about telling players to go start recruiting last Spring. As stated before I have no problem with Skoog coming to DE as his family has moved here. But from his play this summer (and DE beating him last year), he's not up to the task.
While you're eager to throw you're two cents in with no dog in the fight, why don't you stop for a minute and think of the senior kid (there's one at DE every year) who's been nothing but hard working, loyal and quite successful when given the opportunity - yep some actually keep goalie stats and Parker ain't the better of the two. Evan Jamar has more character in his little finger than Randolph will ever have, as well as his assistants who are too afraid to stick up for anyone (you really think Larry Trachsel left the program cause he likes Florida - funny to see him at a lot of games).

Evan isn't going to throw in the towel because some pompous coach treats him like crap. He has every intention of playing and signed his junior contract today. You'd be surprise what reputation Randolph has around the country as we talked with Junior coaches this summer. It's not a good one, and none of them were surprised of his actions. I think you'd also be surprised by comments from scouts that no longer want to deal with DE, as they're sick of listening to Mike tell them they're wrong of what they think of players. There's some good examples of good players last year that assumed Mike was going to help them out. Alas no, unless they were wearing #7.
So my educated opinion stands, they struggle at the end of the year when it counts the most. I'm sure in his well-known fashion he'll scream at kids and tell them they blew it for everyone (as he did last year). I hope he looks down the bench and realizes he blew it for the 23 people standing next to him.
If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one on here giving them the big thumbs up. Don't think I'm going to have worry about that. I'll be done with my grapes by then.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

dlhhockey wrote:
east hockey wrote:
dlhhockey wrote: They do well in the season, probably losing to a couple of cities teams including Maple Grove again. It comes to an end at sections due to goaltending. Randolph has made some choices this summer without talking to his goalie coach (which is hypocritical of him when he stands up in the front of the banquet and says he knows nothing about goaltending. You're right Mike, you don't and never have). It's going to come back and bite him when he needs it most as it has in years past. The good core group thinks they have a chance so that's why they've stayed around this year when they could have easily left. I give them credit for willing to suck it up and take Randolph's sh** for one more year.

Lee
I thought it might take a little longer for you to throw your cheap comment out there.
Sour, you bet. And what about? Let's try Randolph breaking some rules by telling my kid not to come try out in October (the longest conversation he's had with him in 1 1/2 years and nice to to take our $350 for the summer). How about a player skimming by on the rules and "living" in Duluth while the parents still have a homesteaded house in Sartell. I bet they can't get out of town fast enough come 6/2013. How about telling players to go start recruiting last Spring. As stated before I have no problem with Skoog coming to DE as his family has moved here. But from his play this summer (and DE beating him last year), he's not up to the task.
While you're eager to throw you're two cents in with no dog in the fight, why don't you stop for a minute and think of the senior kid (there's one at DE every year) who's been nothing but hard working, loyal and quite successful when given the opportunity - yep some actually keep goalie stats and Parker ain't the better of the two. Evan Jamar has more character in his little finger than Randolph will ever have, as well as his assistants who are too afraid to stick up for anyone (you really think Larry Trachsel left the program cause he likes Florida - funny to see him at a lot of games).

Evan isn't going to throw in the towel because some pompous coach treats him like crap. He has every intention of playing and signed his junior contract today. You'd be surprise what reputation Randolph has around the country as we talked with Junior coaches this summer. It's not a good one, and none of them were surprised of his actions. I think you'd also be surprised by comments from scouts that no longer want to deal with DE, as they're sick of listening to Mike tell them they're wrong of what they think of players. There's some good examples of good players last year that assumed Mike was going to help them out. Alas no, unless they were wearing #7.
So my educated opinion stands, they struggle at the end of the year when it counts the most. I'm sure in his well-known fashion he'll scream at kids and tell them they blew it for everyone (as he did last year). I hope he looks down the bench and realizes he blew it for the 23 people standing next to him.
If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one on here giving them the big thumbs up. Don't think I'm going to have worry about that. I'll be done with my grapes by then.
"Evan Jamar has more character in his little finger than Randolph"

And obviously, than his father.

Struggle at the end of the season? Most would say they accomplished more last season than what was expected. Maybe that was a fluke. Mike has, I believe, coached thirteen state tournament teams, so I'm going to trust my gut and say Mike knows more about coaching than you do. Including goalies.

But hey, way to voice your opinion. After your son is no longer going to be playing for East, of course. Bravo. :roll:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

dlhhockey wrote:

Finally someone on this board with another point of view. Thanks for the candid comments dlhhockey. And by the way stick around! :wink:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I had 2 boys play in the USHL and they never signed contracts. Are you sure it wasn't a check you signed? Seniors get cut at every program in the state, and it is always the same comments you used. Be happy he told your kid now, so he could pursue other options and continue his career. Sounds like you never liked Randolph and it's better for everybody that you are gone. I hope your son fulfills his hockey dreams.
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

two questions, first, what is the significance of number 7?

second, are you really Evan's dad? because even if you're not I would be so humiliated by this outburst. Anyone, can look Evan up whether its Facebook, The hub. A lot of kids read this and I can bet my money that they will also want to know who he really is. Your not winning any battles you're just making yourself and you're kid look like fools.
The best, period
blueblood

the hounds in '11-'12

Post by blueblood »

Well, now that we've all met and played nice-nice, let's get back to task: "How will East be in 2012?

Saw them at Eagan this summer, they played well and the Randolph - Tonanato - whoever else line was on the ice alot and looked really good. I can see them putting up 150+ points on the year.

Section 7 is not in the bag. Elk River and Rapids will give them a run for their money and the golden ticket to St. Paul.

Favorites, yes, but it won't be easy...
karl(east)

Re: the hounds in '11-'12

Post by karl(east) »

blueblood wrote:Well, now that we've all met and played nice-nice, let's get back to task: "How will East be in 2012?
Now there's a good idea.

With 7 returning forwards and 3 returning defensemen, there won't be many open spots for regular shifts on this year's Hounds team. There will be especially few opportunities for sophomores, though the incoming bantam group is not as good as the last few. The goalie competition intrigues me, and I expect both players will be given a shot. Ideally competing against one another will only raise their level of play and not be a source of friction.

The top line gets all of the attention, but the only East forward who made the national Advanced Camp is not on that line--I'm curious to see what sort of year the 2nd line will have. If they have a breakout year like the current first line did last year, they'll be in great shape.

There's no use in thinking about undefeated seasons now--East just needs to focus on the next game they play. (Well, I suppose I'll forgive them if they overlook Cambridge some.)

Elite League starts next week--I wonder if Team North will keep the first line intact?
northwoods oldtimer

East

Everyone is writing East in as the state favorite. I would tend to disagree, that team will miss Hunter Bergerson greatly. That kid was a stay at home defensive beast. Kerr and Moore are a huge question mark in their own defensive zone and will cough it up. Which leaves one stud to get the job done in Nate Repensky, who will have to log a ton of ice. Goaltending and defense might just be in short supply this winter for the Hounds and could be the ticket to seeing another team come out of the section.
karl(east)

Re: East

Post by karl(east) »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Everyone is writing East in as the state favorite. I would tend to disagree, that team will miss Hunter Bergerson greatly. That kid was a stay at home defensive beast. Kerr and Moore are a huge question mark in their own defensive zone and will cough it up. Which leaves one stud to get the job done in Nate Repensky, who will have to log a ton of ice. Goaltending and defense might just be in short supply this winter for the Hounds and could be the ticket to seeing another team come out of the section.
Hmm, I wonder which team you're thinking of? :wink:

Bergerson was a solid player, no doubt, but East lost a heck of a lot more off their D the past two seasons and survived just fine. And those young defensemen (along with an emergency fill-in) held their own against Eden Prairie for quite some time in the state title game after Bergerson got hurt. I'm not terribly worried about Moore or Kerr; I do wonder about the depth beyond them, though.

The team up Highway 2 looks to be in a pretty similar position: 2 elite leaguers each, plus a third defenseman who logged a good amount of ice time last year...
northwoods oldtimer

karl(east) wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Everyone is writing East in as the state favorite. I would tend to disagree, that team will miss Hunter Bergerson greatly. That kid was a stay at home defensive beast. Kerr and Moore are a huge question mark in their own defensive zone and will cough it up. Which leaves one stud to get the job done in Nate Repensky, who will have to log a ton of ice. Goaltending and defense might just be in short supply this winter for the Hounds and could be the ticket to seeing another team come out of the section.
Hmm, I wonder which team you're thinking of? :wink:

Bergerson was a solid player, no doubt, but East lost a heck of a lot more off their D the past two seasons and survived just fine. And those young defensemen (along with an emergency fill-in) held their own against Eden Prairie for quite some time in the state title game after Bergerson got hurt. I'm not terribly worried about Moore or Kerr; I do wonder about the depth beyond them, though.

The team up Highway 2 looks to be in a pretty similar position: 2 elite leaguers each, plus a third defenseman who logged a good amount of ice time last year...
Karl, a bit of selective memory. Repensky logged a ton of ice after Bergerson went down and there was a valid reason for it. I think your boys will get a bit exposed this season on defense.

Mikey Randolph should have went out an landed a couple solid defense this summer too. :P :P :P
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Karl, a bit of selective memory. Repensky logged a ton of ice after Bergerson went down and there was a valid reason for it. I think your boys will get a bit exposed this season on defense.

Mikey Randolph should have went out an landed a couple solid defense this summer too. :P :P :P
I'll point out that, while not ideal, teams have won the state tournament in recent years by riding a single top defenseman to death and rotating everyone else in and out. Also, if you go back and look at how some of those top defensemen performed as sophomores, you might be surprised by some of the mistakes they made. (I have flashes of Derek Forbort going through my head right now.) They have time to improve. It's not common for HS teams to return 3 of their top 4 defensemen from the previous year--and of those players, 2 are deserving of their Elite League spots, and the other has already made something of a name for himself.

I guess we'll have to see whose selective memory and wishful thinking is more accurate... :wink:
ImissMYhockey

Post by ImissMYhockey »

Dont forget that East's bottom two defensemen last year were a freshman and Sophomore during playoffs. Either one of those could fill that #4 spot easily and while I agree with Karl that their isn't a lot of talent coming off the Bantam A team, a few of those players have good enough talent to find one of the last spots on varsity. Joe Marinac would be my pick coming off the A bantam team to make an impact.
Reggie Dunlop

East 2011-2012

Post by Reggie Dunlop »

I've coached at the High School level the past four season in Minnesota, and been involved in High School hockey basically since I was born. I have seen East play every year. One of their top 3 defenseman they had last year didn't see a lick of ice time when it mattered. (Beaulieu) That kid is gonna be unstoppable from here on out if Randolph gives him a chance. And yes, Randolph is a joke of a human being, but he does know how to win.
breakout

Post by breakout »

No way on perfect season. Too tough to do that.

They should be rated #1 at the start of the season. Should have the best #1 line in the state. They will have a huge target on their backs all season long. We will see how they handle that kind of pressure. Their key players will need to stay healthy.
mulefarm

Re: East 2011-2012

Post by mulefarm »

Reggie Dunlop wrote:I've coached at the High School level the past four season in Minnesota, and been involved in High School hockey basically since I was born. I have seen East play every year. One of their top 3 defenseman they had last year didn't see a lick of ice time when it mattered. (Beaulieu) That kid is gonna be unstoppable from here on out if Randolph gives him a chance. And yes, Randolph is a joke of a human being, but he does know how to win.
I hope that makes you feel better taking a cheap shot at Randolph. Why don't you tell him man to man next time you see him! Also, be sure to tell who he should play, it seems he can't figure his players out. That's why they are such an average program. Glad you make all the right decisions as a coach.
rockcrusher

Post by rockcrusher »

And just to let you know, a couple of the best players on the East Bantam A team attend school at Duluth Marshall, have since 5th grade. Same for the Duluth Lakers Bantam A team as well. So there is about 5 or 6 from those teams who will become Hilltoppers because thats where they have attended school for quite a few years.
the_juiceman

Re: East 2011-2012

Post by the_juiceman »

mulefarm wrote:
Reggie Dunlop wrote:I've coached at the High School level the past four season in Minnesota, and been involved in High School hockey basically since I was born. I have seen East play every year. One of their top 3 defenseman they had last year didn't see a lick of ice time when it mattered. (Beaulieu) That kid is gonna be unstoppable from here on out if Randolph gives him a chance. And yes, Randolph is a joke of a human being, but he does know how to win.
I hope that makes you feel better taking a cheap shot at Randolph. Why don't you tell him man to man next time you see him! Also, be sure to tell who he should play, it seems he can't figure his players out. That's why they are such an average program. Glad you make all the right decisions as a coach.
RD--since you were born!? wow, what a great "Minn. HS Hockey Mind" you must be!!
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

This is a discussion about hockey. Not peoples character. I could honestly care less if the coach is the worst human being to ever live... He wins hockey games.