Schwans Cup

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Re: lee....

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm

CenterIceReportMike wrote:Not new at all, actually used to coach hs hockey here in the cites a few years back. I guess my point is this.... other programs from other states have quality hockey. If we are going to be arrogant to believe that MN HS hockey is the best and others cant compete, that is plain ol bull. Im not saying any other state in the country could compete from top to bottom, but top to top there are a few... Minnesota is not the only state with High School Hockey!

-Mike
:lol:

-Bo

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Actually AHA has played both those schools many times. I believe, and do not quote me, but BC beat AHA way back in 04, but AHA has handled MSC all the time and in a few destroyed them. Most of the top HS teams in Minnesota would have a slight edge over high school teams from other states....But I agree bring in other schools. Who will pay for it?

Edgeless

Re: perspecitive

Post by Edgeless » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:06 pm

CenterIceReportMike wrote:Make it a showcase! Simple as that... , bring in teams from around the country!
Best idea yet..that's why they play the games. Just an opinion but ridder is the best venue.

CenterIceReportMike

Post by CenterIceReportMike » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 am

Nobody thought the us would win over the russians in 80 either.

Football, baseball and basketball all do high school invitational tournaments or jamborees. no reason hockey cant

MnMade-4-Life

Re: lee....

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:17 am

CenterIceReportMike wrote:Not new at all, actually used to coach hs hockey here in the cites a few years back. I guess my point is this.... other programs from other states have quality hockey. If we are going to be arrogant to believe that MN HS hockey is the best and others cant compete, that is plain ol bull.
No it's not ... as a matter of fact I'll let you make my argument for myself to introduce myself ... ok you go now ...
CenterIceReportMike wrote:Im not saying any other state in the country could compete from top to bottom,
Um, great point! I'm glad you made it! Gee ... I was so wrong to make the statement that MN HS hockey is better than other states.
CenterIceReportMike wrote:but top to top there are a few...Minnesota is not the only state with High School Hockey!
-Mike
Right a few ...
few[fyoo] Show Spelled [fyoo]
Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, pronoun
adjective
1. not many but more than one: Few artists live luxuriously.
noun
2. ( used with a plural verb ) a small number or amount: Send me a few.
3. the few, a special, limited number; the minority: That music appeals to the few.
pronoun
4. ( used with a plural verb ) a small number of persons or things: A dozen people volunteered, but few have shown up

top talent was not the issue Mikey ... as you noted top to bottom MN can not be touched.

Honestly ... No. Chance. Especially in a tourney setting. Hell, I doubt any out-of-state team could even get out of D6 on their best year.

**DISCLAIMER: MnMade-4-Life may or may not have had too much coffee this morning. But seriously ...
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 am

east hockey wrote:
MnMade-4-Life wrote:
MnMade-4-Life wrote:
CenterIceReportMike wrote:Make it a showcase! Simple as that... , bring in teams from around the country!
I'd rather watch the best teams skate ... let's keep it in state ;)
... and no teams from the Duluth area either :D
Actually, I'd like to see it moved to the Duluth area. Have the Gold division at the Amsoil, Silver at the DECC and the Bronze at the Heritage Arena. Course, don't want to make the Cidiots drive too far now, do we? :mrgreen:

Lee
612 - FOR - LIFE!!
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

CenterIceReportMike

Post by CenterIceReportMike » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Hey Minnesota made....

ar·ro·gant   [ar-uh-guhnt] Show IPA
adjective
making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.
characterized by or proceeding from arrogance: arrogant claims.

Synonyms
1. presumptuous, haughty, imperious, brazen. See proud.

Maybe that Private jet that Joliet Catholic uses to travel their High School teams all over the country could land in St. Paul if allowed. Maybe getting knocked off by one of these teams would kinda be like the Mighty Gophers getting beat by Holy Cross...... Sincerely, "MIKEY"

MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:14 am

CenterIceReportMike wrote:Hey Minnesota made....

ar·ro·gant   [ar-uh-guhnt] Show IPA
adjective
making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.
characterized by or proceeding from arrogance: arrogant claims.

Synonyms
1. presumptuous, haughty, imperious, brazen. See proud.
Not the most original post ... but I'll give you points for effort.

I'm not sure if you read the posting rules and what not, but please do be advised that this is an open forum.
There will be sarcasm, fool-hardiness, and complete and utter r00bness found in posts.
Please do not misconstrue this for lack of perspective or "street smarts." You will find your time here much more enjoyable if you can take a little rub here and there without trying to make it personal.
I referred to your post, you referred to my character ... [sarcasm]I almost cried. :([/sarcasm]
CenterIceReportMike wrote:Maybe that Private jet that Joliet Catholic uses to travel their High School teams all over the country could land in St. Paul if allowed. Maybe getting knocked off by one of these teams would kinda be like the Mighty Gophers getting beat by Holy Cross...... Sincerely, "MIKEY"
Picking and choosing your argument does not make it correct.
By that rationale I could definitively state all kinds of nonsensical boobery.
Body of work must be considered ... Argument invalid.

However, when addressing any thread that you are involved with, I will use the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] brackets so as not to make things so gosh darn personal!

[sarcasm]xoxoxo ;)[/sarcasm]
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

CenterIceReportMike

Post by CenterIceReportMike » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:59 pm

thank you for forum lesson.....

MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:35 am

[sarcasm]
CenterIceReportMike wrote:thank you for forum lesson.....
[/sarcasm]
:)
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:33 am

Saying you are being arrogant is much different than saying you are arrogant. While neither was said, your response is silly.

That being said, really not sure how his original post (which was a good one) turned into a MN vs the country topic. Stating that the state of hockey has better hockey from top to bottom isn't being arrogant any more than stating that texas has better baseball from top to bottom, etc, etc.
CenterIceReportMike wrote:Why not just make it a one division 16 team tournament and be done. All that and perhaps if they did this tournament right they might actually draw a decent crowd.

really want to make this a great tournament... invite out of state top teams.... football, and basketball are doing it... why not!
The issue you run into then is leaving only 21 games for the rest of their schedules. For some, 22 is a stretch now.

If they were able to choose their first opponent and agree it counted as a conference game, for example, that could help. It'd be cool to see.

zIGGYziGGY5

Post by zIGGYziGGY5 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

whose got the open division?

blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 pm

zIGGYziGGY5 wrote:whose got the open division?
Copied this off of the CR website. CR should walk thru this one. Last year there 2nd game was the toughest of the tourney on there way to the champioship game. Don't understand why they stayed at the Open Division when they won it last year. They beat Providence in the semi's last year and Providence has moved up to the Bronze division

http://www.coonrapidshshockey.com/coonr ... -14-11.pdf

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:07 pm

An easy answer to the out of state question is Minnesota plays under the NFHS, most of the other states play under USA Hockey. In general it's hard to go back and forth, USA Hockey doesn't like it, the NFHS doesn't like it, it requires waivers and other issues have to be worked around. In football everybody plays under the NFHS making it easier to have interstate games. Also many states have travel restrictions, Minnesota tries to put on a national wrestling dual meet but can't get teams from Pennsylvania and Michigan because of travel restrictions...you can't have a national dual without Pennsylvania.

Iowa (USA Hockey) has sent their #1 Mason City to Rochester, they won, but their league hasn't allowed another Iowa team back since. Wisconsin and North Dakota sends their teams regularly to Minnesota but they're in the NFHS.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:12 pm

[

Best idea yet..that's why they play the games. Just an opinion but ridder is the best venue.[/quote]

Gosh, do you really think Ridder can handle the crowds? I've seen nearly 1,000 people at some of the Xcel games. Oh wait, we could still leave every other seat open at the Ridder and there'd still be plenty of seats available.

I like the Ridder a lot.

vonney16

Post by vonney16 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:07 pm

the only one i think is wrong is i'd put blaine over edina at this point edina can't put the puck in the net to save thier lives

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:15 pm

This hasn't been answered, so I thought I'd throw this out there since it is very weird to not see WBL playing this year:

Typically, over the last handful of years, the team who goes 0-3 is sent to silver and the team who wins silver moves up to gold. Breck went 0-3 in gold last year, in silver this year. AHA won silver last year, in gold this year. All fine. Here's where I'm confused:

Why did WBL get booted from gold? And why were they replaced with the team who get 7th in silver last year? They went 1-1-1 in their games (1-2 if you count however the tie was solved).

Also just noticed that CDH, who went 2-1 and got 2nd in silver last year, is in the bronze this year. Seems old. Anyone with some insight into the inner workings of the tournament?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Forest Lake can't wait to play in this event!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:This hasn't been answered, so I thought I'd throw this out there since it is very weird to not see WBL playing this year:

Typically, over the last handful of years, the team who goes 0-3 is sent to silver and the team who wins silver moves up to gold. Breck went 0-3 in gold last year, in silver this year. AHA won silver last year, in gold this year. All fine. Here's where I'm confused:

Why did WBL get booted from gold? And why were they replaced with the team who get 7th in silver last year? They went 1-1-1 in their games (1-2 if you count however the tie was solved).

Also just noticed that CDH, who went 2-1 and got 2nd in silver last year, is in the bronze this year. Seems old. Anyone with some insight into the inner workings of the tournament?
WBL isn't in the Schwan Cup at all this year, so I'm guessing it was a voluntary move.

CDH will be down a lot from last year, so they also may have voluntarily dropped a level to something they consider more winnable.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:44 pm

karl, you may be 100% correct; I was responding to this:
BodyShots wrote:Sager always said, "if we aren't in the Gold Division, then we won't play in it". I guess he meant what he said for once.
Without stepping on any toes or implying anything negative about any program; does anyone know any of the workings of the Schwan's Cup and how these tournaments actually work, beyond what we see on the brackets from year to year?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:39 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:This hasn't been answered, so I thought I'd throw this out there since it is very weird to not see WBL playing this year:

Just an idea, but since they are playing on Hockey Day, maybe they didn't have three open dates available for the Schwan Cup. :idea: