Kiwanis hockey tourney rochester

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Kiwanis hockey tourney rochester

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:51 am

does anyone have the inside scoop on
the teams in this tourney and the schedule.
the web site just tells me last years winners.

Skip_per

Tournament

Post by Skip_per » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 am

Brainerd will not be returning, we are going to Grand Forks this year.
Skipper
Peace

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 pm

I don't know the games or even which bracket all the teams will end up, the MSHSL has Prior Lake and Eastview playing in the first round and seeing they're in the same conference and already play each other twice I doubt that will be the way it ends up. Here are 11 teams:

AA:
Century
John Marshall
Mayo
Fargo South
New Richmond WI
Prior Lake
Eastview

A:
Lourdes
New Ulm
Albert Lea
Richfield

Those teams all return and that's the brackets they were in last year. The other 5 are:

*Dodge County - an AA team but has played in the A bracket because the Rochester schools don't want to play them due to section seeding implications.
*Eau Claire Memorial - Wisconsin is a 1 class state, they played in the A bracket last year and were ranked #1 in WI much of the year and are #4 this year. New Richmond (ranked #10) plays in the AA bracket so....
*St. Michael - a first year AA team and new to the tournament
*Northfield - an A team they play Albert Lea, New Ulm, Lourdes, and Dodge County before Christmas
*Ashwaubenon WI - they get votes in the Wisconsin preseason poll

My guess would be STMA is the 8th AA team. Last year the field changed between now and the start of the tournament so this may not be the same 16 teams on Dec 28th.

KiwanisHockey

Post by KiwanisHockey » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:30 pm

Here is a breakdown of the teams playing in the 2011 Kiwanis Hockey Tournament:

AA: Rochester JM, Rochester Century, Rochester Mayo, New Richmond, Eau Claire Memorial, Fargo South, Prior Lake, Eastview

A: Rochester Lourdes, Albert Lea, St. Michael/Albertville, Dodge County, Northfield, Richfield, New Ulm, Ashwaubenon

Teams participating under AA have a varsity and junior varsity tournament, and the A is only varsity. There are teams classified under MSHSL as AA playing in A tournament but that is just how we classify the three tournaments-AA varsity, AA junior varsity, A varsity. Perhaps we will change naming conventions sometime.

The "AA" side does not experience as much change since three teams are from Rochester, while the A side changes more often. The final schedule is being worked out and will be posted to the Tournament website soon. The only game set in stone is the first AA game and Eastview will be playing Prior Lake...this was at their request.

It should be a fun year again and looking forward to meeting the new teams this year as well as seeing the returning folks.

Thanks for the discussion and interest!

canadianeagle1

Post by canadianeagle1 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 am

The Kiwanis tournament has lost any legitimate status it had left and the A tourney is simply a disaster this year.

Recently there was a scrimmage fest with all 4 high schools participating,(Century, JM, Mayo, Lourdes) it generated more excitement and will be better attended than the Kiwanis.

The Kiwanis was a great idea at one time, but with the bigger tourney in Blaine and the Rochester teams struggling to be competitive, I think the time has come to turn the Kiwanis into an 8 team (it's currently 16) tournament where all 4 Rochester schools participate.

KiwanisHockey

Post by KiwanisHockey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 pm

canadianeagle1 wrote:The Kiwanis tournament has lost any legitimate status it had left and the A tourney is simply a disaster this year.

Recently there was a scrimmage fest with all 4 high schools participating,(Century, JM, Mayo, Lourdes) it generated more excitement and will be better attended than the Kiwanis.

The Kiwanis was a great idea at one time, but with the bigger tourney in Blaine and the Rochester teams struggling to be competitive, I think the time has come to turn the Kiwanis into an 8 team (it's currently 16) tournament where all 4 Rochester schools participate.
Your post is strangely similar to the face off blog from the Post Bulletin that can be read here: http://postbulletin.typepad.com/faceoff ... -come.html

I am sincerely hoping you are not the person who wrote this on the PB. I do not know how anyone can say the one part of the tournament is a disaster when the regular season has barely started. I am sure the other teams participating in the class A tournament appreciate being associated with a "disaster."

All that aside, the Kiwanis Hockey Tournament has donated over $600,000 to youth related activities in Rochester over the past 18 years. The Rochester Chamber of Commerce has also estimated that the tournament has had a $3.4 million economic impact on the city for a total of $4 million over the same time period.

Reducing the tournament will reduce the economic impact to the city and will leave 8 teams looking elsewhere for a tournament. The goal of the tournament is to raise funds for youth programs and to provide a positive experience for the players, coaches, and fans.

canadianeagle1

Post by canadianeagle1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:30 am

I can assure you that I am not the person that wrote the PB article, I am just merely an observer who only cares about the quality of play for the players and fans.