Mario Lucia - Notre Dame

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

starmvp

Mario Lucia - Notre Dame

Post by starmvp »

Mario Lucia commits to Notre Dame.. Not a surprise to me, congrats to Mario and good luck in the future!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Could this mean.....Don's not getting an extension [-o<
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

Certainly not a surprise. Mario is a very good hockey player, but this is probably the best fit for him. It would've been nice to see him in a Gophers sweater, but hopefully we'll get a chance to see him play in MN again after his years in South Bend. Best of luck to Mario!
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

BodyShots wrote:Could this mean.....Don's not getting an extension [-o<
More likely to mean that he is. Mario doesn't want to be subjected to the kind of crap that came from a part of the fanbase when Tony played for his dad. (The ignorant part of the fanbase who couldn't see that Tony was a hard working, team player.)
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

You must be referring to that fan base that realized there were 150 guys NOT named Lucia who could have logged those minutes.
TTpuckster

Good idea

Post by TTpuckster »

Personnaly,

I think it is a good idea not the play at the same place where a parent is the coach.
It can create unease on the team.
Whether there is favortism or not.
It will always be perceived as such by some.

Good luck to Mario
57special

Post by 57special »

joining Anders Lee and Stephen Fogarty at ND.
Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon »

You must be referring to that fan base that realized there were 150 guys NOT named Lucia who could have logged those minutes.
Could you name only about 10 of those kids. It should be easy since they would all be AHL and NHL players.

The kid is playing in the AHL-they do not hand those spots out to friends and family.

Also a good way to get an extra scholarship if you pay your kids way.
Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 »

Toomuchtoosoon wrote:
Could you name only about 10 of those kids. It should be easy since they would all be AHL and NHL players.

The kid is playing in the AHL-they do not hand those spots out to friends and family.

Fact is that Mario would not have received the same treatment Tony did if he would have played for the gophs because Mario was a second round pick and a known star. Tony was a 7th round pick and was still a question mark as a freshman for the gophers. He turned out to work his ass off and become a great player and captain for the team and improved greatly in his time at the U.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

A known star? Hmm. 47 points, good for about 70th in the state last year.

He's big, fast... and has a good name. Not saying he's not going to be a star. Just saying.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Shinbone_News wrote:A known star? Hmm. 47 points, good for about 70th in the state last year.
How many guys ahead of him played as tough of a schedule as he did and scored more than his 30 goals?
Shinbone_News wrote:He's big, fast... and has a good name. Not saying he's not going to be a star. Just saying.
Not quite sure what you're saying, but I was disappointed - although not surprised - that he decided to go to Notre Dame.

I happened to go to the Wild's scrimmage earlier this summer when he was playing against other Wild draftees, guys with minor league experience and/or college grads, and Lucia definitely looked like he belonged out there. Not out of place at all, in fact he stood out at times which is pretty decent, I'd say, for a high school kid. Yeah, he probably won't turn out to be the next Sidney Crosby, but he's definitely got potential to be a very good NHL player, and maybe then some.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

When assessing Mario as a prospect you missed on the one thing that kept him out of the first round. His skating/speed was the biggest area of concern.
#1 asset is he possesses NHL size
#2 great hands for a big kid
#3 shoots the puck very well and knows how to score
#4 intelligent (on and off the ice/good character) and very competitive

Whether its the NHL or Notre Dame or the "U" its not what he is now but what these teams think he might become if he can bring his skating up to the level of the rest of his considerable skills. I'm sure Mario would tell you that continuing to build strength and improving his speed are the areas of his game that need the most work.

He has a chance to become a top six forward in the NHL, I wouldn't be one bit surprized to see him accomplish it.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
How many guys ahead of him played as tough of a schedule as he did and scored more than his 30 goals?
Fair point, but you can see for yourself: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/subseason/st ... ason=27330

Rau, Toninato, Labate, Kinne, Merchant, Besse, Reid, Kloos, Skrbich, Michaleson, Anderle, Olson, Bahe, Wayzata's own Camarensi, Roo, Opperman, Brodzinski, Zajac... all quality players on quality teams who meet your criteria.

Keepyourheadup is right, and it's all I'm saying. He's looked at closely because of potential. And name/genetics/pedigree plays a big role in that. Why pretend otherwise?

Top six forward in the NHL is, I think, getting the cart a bit before the horse, but I can accept such brazen optimism in these dark days :wink:
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

Shinbone_News wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Fair point, but you can see for yourself: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/subseason/st ... ason=27330

Rau, Toninato, Labate, Kinne, Merchant, Besse, Reid, Kloos, Skrbich, Michaleson, Anderle, Olson, Bahe, Wayzata's own Camarensi, Roo, Opperman, Brodzinski, Zajac... all quality players on quality teams who meet your criteria.

Keepyourheadup is right, and it's all I'm saying. He's looked at closely because of potential. And name/genetics/pedigree plays a big role in that. Why pretend otherwise?

Top six forward in the NHL is, I think, getting the cart a bit before the horse, but I can accept such brazen optimism in these dark days :wink:
The only players listed here that played a harder schedule are Rau, Cameranisi, and Toninato. The other players listed either play in poor conferences or play several poor teams during the season.
The best, period
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Agreed shinbone, I did say a CHANCE to be a top six guy. That's why he got drafted where he did. Unfortunately the hockey landscape is littered with guys much like Mario who never quite got over the hump. I think a fair comparison might be a guy like Jeff taffe. No two players are the same but these two have similar skills at the same age. Very seldom do kids like Mario come along that aren't given every opportunity to fulfill their potential.
northwoods oldtimer

Toomuchtoosoon wrote:

Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote: The only players listed here that played a harder schedule are Rau, Cameranisi, and Toninato. The other players listed either play in poor conferences or play several poor teams during the season.
You're kidding, right??? I'm sure the Hill-Murray, St. Thomas, BSM fans would agree with your sentiment. And Wayzata DOES play Hopkins a couple of times a year, last I heard.

Oh, and I forgot Randolph. But then he's got a good name too :D
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

You think Benilde and Wayzata play comparable schedules? Ha! And I didnt Labate play for Holy Angels.

No offense to south suburban conference players, but thats not even close to the schedule that wayzata plays.

Benilde: Cooper 10-1, chisago lakes 7-0, saint louis park 12-0, irondale 11-0, totino grace 9-2, chisago again 8-1, century 7-3, spring lake park again 1-2 (loss), irondale again 9-0, and totino again 6-1...Interesting.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Wayzata:

6-1 Centennial, 10-2 Osseo, 7-0 Buffalo, 7-2 Champlin, 7-2 Hopkins, 5-3 Centennial, 9-3 Hopkins, 5-1 Lakeville N.

Yeah, Lake conference is toughest in the state. But they had some out of conference cakewalks too.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Doesn't anyone compile a strength of schedule ranking? I believe the KRACH system is capable of calculating SOS. In any case, there is no way BSM's schedule comes close to Wayzata's. Did any other team play both EP and Edina 3 times each? Then add in Minnetonka, Maple Grove and Moorhead (2 times each) and throw in Duluth East, BSM, Jefferson, Burnsville, Apple Valley and Roseau for good measure and it's pretty obvious that Mario had to really work for his 30 goals.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

shinbone - Are you serious? Are you comparing Hopkins, Centennial, Lakeville North, Buffalo, Champlin, and Osseo to that of Benilde's schedule.

Lets see tougher - Spring Lake park (2), Irondale (2), Cooper, Totino Grace (2), Saint Louis park, Chisago lakes (2), and Century. Plus I think Benilde played Osseo, so we better had them in there too since you did.

Wayzata - Buffalo, Champlin, Osseo, Lakeville North, Centennial (2), and Hopkins (2)

Good argument :)
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Wayzata's schedule was as tough as anyones...end of story.

It certainly didn't hurt Mario playing with perhaps one of the best if not the best playmaking centerman in the state. Camaranisi is an outstanding player and had a hand in helping Mario put up the numbers he did. Don't take this as a shot at Lucia, I'm a big fan and believe his best hockey is yet to come. Lets face it, it would have been nice to see Mario here but given what went down with Tony I think most families would avoid the head ache. I say we just enjoy watching his development and see how far he goes.
20custom

Post by 20custom »

Maybe the kid wants a shot at winning a title..
northwoods oldtimer

Toomuchtoosoon wrote:

Fill me in on where the senior Lucia is playing this season?
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

he's in Canadian juniors this year, at Penticton.

whoops, maybe you meant the older Lucia boy, rather than the high school senior Mario. Don't know about him.
Last edited by Shinbone_News on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.