new conferences good for college hockey?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CenterIceReportMike

new conferences good for college hockey?

Post by CenterIceReportMike » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:33 am

I'm just wondering if you think the Big Ten and NCHC will kill the WCHA, or if the NCAA has an expansion plan to make hockey a prime ticket?

http://www.centericereport.com/news_art ... _id=352791

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:45 am

Alabama-Huntsville dropped their program to the club level beginning next year. Can't see how this is good for college hockey?

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 pm

It will change the "At-Large Bids" for the NCAA. 6 historically strong programs will be in the Big Ten 1 auto bid and say the rest are all around a .500 record. Who goes?

Seen as Alabama-Huntsville wasnt in a conference I dont think it will effect anything. There are a couple of programs pondering going D1, they will fill the void.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 pm

youngblood08 wrote:It will change the "At-Large Bids" for the NCAA. 6 historically strong programs will be in the Big Ten 1 auto bid and say the rest are all around a .500 record. Who goes?

Seen as Alabama-Huntsville wasnt in a conference I dont think it will effect anything. There are a couple of programs pondering going D1, they will fill the void.
It is one less D1 program out of 58 or so and less opportuntiy for players, gotta say that is an effect.

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Yeah but most of them were just Canadian kids anyways.......

Moorhead will make up for those lost roster spots in the next few years.

JSR

Post by JSR » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:41 am

youngblood08 wrote:It will change the "At-Large Bids" for the NCAA. 6 historically strong programs will be in the Big Ten 1 auto bid and say the rest are all around a .500 record. Who goes?

I foresee a very good likely hood ATLEAST two (possibly 3) more Big Ten schools will field D1 hockey in the next 5 years or so, as well as a couple of others I have heard that are pondering the idea.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

With the success of the ushl in the midwest it would not surprise me to see Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska being hockey. I know Nebraska has an arena in Lincoln with the ushl there. I am not sure about Iowa and Illinois.

The ushl has also stretched east now, so that puts purdue and indiana in the mix.

My guess is Illinois and Nebraska are D1 within 5 years.

MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:20 pm

Tigers33 wrote:With the success of the ushl in the midwest it would not surprise me to see Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska being hockey. I know Nebraska has an arena in Lincoln with the ushl there. I am not sure about Iowa and Illinois.

The ushl has also stretched east now, so that puts purdue and indiana in the mix.

I don't doubt it, I'd add Indiana to the mix as well. They already play in the same division as Illinois.
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:27 am

Tigers33 wrote:With the success of the ushl in the midwest it would not surprise me to see Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska being hockey. I know Nebraska has an arena in Lincoln with the ushl there. I am not sure about Iowa and Illinois.

I'd say that in order Illinois will likely be first, then probably either Iowa or Indiana and I would say Nebraska could join the fold but would be fourth out of those schools. Indiana, Illinois and Iowa alreayd have solid club hockey foundations and they are in the middle of some of the best recruiting hotbeds in the United States. I like the idea of Nebraska addign it down the line as well. To me Purdue and Northwestern are the least likely to add them. I could see some Northeastern schools adding them as time goes by as well.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:36 am

The reason why I had Nebraska higher on the list is the popularity of junior hockey in lincoln and omaha. Plus UNO is already division 1. Plus Nebraska has a nice venue where the USHL team plays.

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Tigers33 wrote:The reason why I had Nebraska higher on the list is the popularity of junior hockey in lincoln and omaha. Plus UNO is already division 1. Plus Nebraska has a nice venue where the USHL team plays.
Would have to agree. With UNO being a fairly solid D1 team, it wouldn't come as a shock to see Nebraska join them, and Iowa always has a very good D1 Club team in the ACHA, much like Penn State who is going D1. I'm not sure how popular hockey is in Indiana other than the Indiana Ice of the USHL but they would be a good candidate as well, currently they only carry an ACHA club team (D1 level I believe) and Illinois is a good hockey area and it would be nice to see them field a team. Although it diminishes the WCHA which we hate to see, the Gophers and other WCHA teams leaving will still play these teams on an annual basis and there is a possibility for 2-3 more D1 teams in the future, overall it's a good move for college hockey.

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:05 am

LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:. Although it diminishes the WCHA which we hate to see, the Gophers and other WCHA teams leaving will still play these teams on an annual basis ....
Obviously not nearly as much, and with the expansion of the BIG 10 Conference, less and less. I wouldn't hang a hat on this.

JSR

Post by JSR » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:18 pm

LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:The reason why I had Nebraska higher on the list is the popularity of junior hockey in lincoln and omaha. Plus UNO is already division 1. Plus Nebraska has a nice venue where the USHL team plays.
Would have to agree. With UNO being a fairly solid D1 team, it wouldn't come as a shock to see Nebraska join them, and Iowa always has a very good D1 Club team in the ACHA, much like Penn State who is going D1. I'm not sure how popular hockey is in Indiana other than the Indiana Ice of the USHL but they would be a good candidate as well, currently they only carry an ACHA club team (D1 level I believe) and Illinois is a good hockey area and it would be nice to see them field a team. Although it diminishes the WCHA which we hate to see, the Gophers and other WCHA teams leaving will still play these teams on an annual basis and there is a possibility for 2-3 more D1 teams in the future, overall it's a good move for college hockey.
Rumor has it that Illinois is possibly planning to add D1 hockey by as early as 2014

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:46 pm

JSR wrote: Rumor has it that Illinois is possibly planning to add D1 hockey by as early as 2014
Doubtful. A women's team would need to be fielded as well. Such a move would have to be a solid financial prospect, and there is nothing there that would indicate it would be. The mere existence of a BIG10 conference does not guarantee a financial windfall for all programs involved.

Besides, with Penn State in the mix, does the Big10 need another team that is going to be flat out run over for years to come?

JSR

Post by JSR » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:42 am

WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote: Rumor has it that Illinois is possibly planning to add D1 hockey by as early as 2014
Doubtful. A women's team would need to be fielded as well. Such a move would have to be a solid financial prospect, and there is nothing there that would indicate it would be. The mere existence of a BIG10 conference does not guarantee a financial windfall for all programs involved.

Besides, with Penn State in the mix, does the Big10 need another team that is going to be flat out run over for years to come?
LOL.... Wrong again wayoutwest.....

"Lets Play Hockey", the infamous Hockey Newspaper up in MN, has been twittering that the University of Illinois may be set to push forward with Division 1 men's and women's hockey. They go so far as to say the team could begin play as early as 2013 or 2014. Apparently Jimmy John Liautaud (founder of Jimmy Johns) is huge hockey fan, he is an Illinois native, Jimmy John's is headquartered in Champaign and he is a big fan of the UofI (not sure if he is an alumn or nor). According to LPH, he is possibly looking at giving them a large endowment, ala like the one at Penn State, to jump start and fund the jump to D1 hockey and be part of the Big Ten hockey conference. Sounds like the dominoes are starting to fall. If in fact UofI makes the jump I fully suspect that Iowa, Indiana and Nebraska will likely follow suit within the next 5 to 10 years. It's a great day for (college) hockey if that happens!!

Seriously WoW, do you ever get tired of being so wrong?

Watch as WoW tries to backslide and pretend he's not wrong folks. It's always good for entertainment purposes....LOL

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:11 am

JSR wrote:"Lets Play Hockey", the infamous Hockey Newspaper up in MN, has been twittering that the University of Illinois may be set to push forward with Division 1 men's and women's hockey. They go so far as to say the team could begin play as early as 2013 or 2014. Apparently Jimmy John Liautaud (founder of Jimmy Johns) is huge hockey fan, he is an Illinois native, Jimmy John's is headquartered in Champaign and he is a big fan of the UofI (not sure if he is an alumn or nor). According to LPH, he is possibly looking at giving them .............yada.........yada............yada......
Are you 9, by chance?
There is SO much speculation and so many assumptions in your description that it cannot be taken seriously.
And what in the world would make you believe that D1 hockey matchups like Iowa vs. Illinois are going to be financially beneficial to anyone?

Jimmy John better have DEEP pockets, for he'll be paying through the nose for a decade.

But you go!!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:15 pm

I hope more schools add hockey, but for me I'd still like the instate schools in the same conference and watching a lot of former mn hs players playing.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Wayoutwest - If he is 9, than you are 5.

He makes some very strong and vaild points. It would not surprise me at all to see Illinois, Nebraska, and Iowa add college hockey in the next 5 years. I think that could be some incredible rivalries between Iowa and Minnesota. Why couldnt it be?

We all understand its speculation...but so are your argumnets buddy. This whole board is speculation.

JSR

Post by JSR » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm

WayOutWest wrote:
JSR wrote:"Lets Play Hockey", the infamous Hockey Newspaper up in MN, has been twittering that the University of Illinois may be set to push forward with Division 1 men's and women's hockey. They go so far as to say the team could begin play as early as 2013 or 2014. Apparently Jimmy John Liautaud (founder of Jimmy Johns) is huge hockey fan, he is an Illinois native, Jimmy John's is headquartered in Champaign and he is a big fan of the UofI (not sure if he is an alumn or nor). According to LPH, he is possibly looking at giving them .............yada.........yada............yada......
Are you 9, by chance?
There is SO much speculation and so many assumptions in your description that it cannot be taken seriously.
And what in the world would make you believe that D1 hockey matchups like Iowa vs. Illinois are going to be financially beneficial to anyone?

Jimmy John better have DEEP pockets, for he'll be paying through the nose for a decade.

But you go!!
LOL, that's the entertainment I was looking for....

Let's see, according to you Penn State adding D1 hockey was "speculation".... according to you a Big Ten Hockey conference was "speculation" and "never going to happen".... according to you none of this makes financial sense except for the fact that the schools who actually MAKE MONEY on college hockey almost all reside in the Big Ten. Why? Because they have huge enrollments, huge endowments and national fan bases. You think of hockey like every school is Bjemidji State, all due respect to BSU, the fact is huge schools like Illinois and Iowa and Nebraska are highly likely to make money from men's hockey (and thus support women's hockey) just like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State ALL DO.

As for your other comment, I can see some great rivals being forged in the new BTHC, I can see college hockey being stronger and more nationally relevant than ever before with the likes of Illinois, Nebraska, and Iowa potentially joining the fold. Much like those who are emersed in it the current model was not growing the sport of college hockey because nationally and to the casual fan no one gives a rats behind about Mankato, or Bjemdji, or UMD or Northern Michigan. I'm sorry,they don;t, yes hard core hockey fans appreciate the tradition and level of play of these schools but to grow a sport you need casual fans and national prominence, none of which was happening by propping up all the "state schools" in Minnesota (outside of the Gophers). It may suck but it's reality. This is good for the long term survival of D1 college hockey and it can already be seen.

From day one my sources have been credible, and my reports and "speculation" have ALL come true. Everything you keep speing keeps being thrown back in yoru face as false

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Please learn how to spell Bemidji. If D1 hockey is to survive you will need the smaller schools to continue to have teams. Having 15-20 super teams that make money will not help either the mens or womens programs in the smaller markets. This could backfire and reduce the number of D1 teams, and hurt college hockey.

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:57 pm

JSR wrote: the fact is huge schools like Illinois and Iowa and Nebraska are highly likely to make money from men's hockey (and thus support women's hockey) just like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State ALL DO.
You sure about those profit margins for the schools you listed? (I'll give you Minnesota.)
I'm sure you're not speculating.
I'm sure you can provide something, right?

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:16 pm

JSR wrote: no one gives a rats behind about Mankato, or Bjemdji, or UMD or Northern Michigan. I'm sorry,they don;t, yes hard core hockey fans appreciate the tradition and level of play of these schools but to grow a sport you need casual fans and national prominence, none of which was happening by propping up all the "state schools" in Minnesota (outside of the Gophers). It may suck but it's reality. This is good for the long term survival of D1 college hockey and it can already be seen.
So you are obviously not also a fan of Cornell, Mercyhurst, Niagra, Holy Cross, RIT, Western Michigan, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Alaska, Alaska-Anchorage, Vermont, Maine, Lake Superior, Ferris State, Bowling Green, Miami, Union, Dartmoth, Colgate, etc. etc. etc. No national prominence with any of them.

Apparently, you believe we should scrap them all. No one gives a rats behind about them, right?
We need to merely present this opportunity to the likes of USC, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, and Tennesse, and get some REAL nationally prominent programs into play and generate some REAL interest.

Yeah, go with that.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Way out west and Mulefarm - your arguments are merely your opinion. That is fine, but neither of you are making a strong case for your argument.

Please give me reasons why this is bad. Please give me reasons why Illinois would be bad for hockey. Not just because its what you want to see happen, but some type of credible reason.

I am pretty sure the AD's and presidents of the universities in the Big Ten would not form a hockey conference if they didnt think it was a good idea in the long run. Losing rivalries matters to the average fan, but not the universities.

You guys must live in your own lil bubble.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:02 am

Basically all the posts are personal opinions. Never said adding Ill. was bad for college hockey. I'm sure the B10 schools would make a ton of money and probably be a great conference. What is going to happen to the D2 and D3 schools that are playing D1 hockey if we have 2-3 super conferences? If the B10 would reach 8-9 teams and played 4 conference games against each other there would be little room for non conference games and the smaller schools would loose out on some big gates. I believe there are roughly 60 schools playing D1 hockey. If 20 are consistently losing money I doubt they will continue to play at the D1 level. I don't think this would be good for college hockey.

WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:18 am

Tigers33 wrote:Way out west and Mulefarm - your arguments are merely your opinion. That is fine, but neither of you are making a strong case for your argument.

Please give me reasons why this is bad. Please give me reasons why Illinois would be bad for hockey. Not just because its what you want to see happen, but some type of credible reason.

I am pretty sure the AD's and presidents of the universities in the Big Ten would not form a hockey conference if they didnt think it was a good idea in the long run. Losing rivalries matters to the average fan, but not the universities.

You guys must live in your own lil bubble.
First, nice last comment, Tiger. And let me say that if you truly believe I am at all accountable to you, it is YOU that lives in a bubble, junior.

Secondly, there isn't as much money in college hockey as some of you folks tend to believe. There are reasons that many of the mega-schools don't have hockey programs. Is it because they cannot recruit? Highly doubtful. I am sure you can figure it out, though.
And to talk to me about my opinions when most all of what is being presented here is nothing but..............is beyond ludicrous.
The Illinois thing is PURE speculation at this point. One article in LPH is not evidence of what is going to transpire, unless you believe the author was Nostradamus???
It also doesn't take much "cyphering" to realize that many of the smaller programs, today, are benefiting from revenue linked to their play against larger programs which produce more draw. If you pull the larger programs out of current conferences and leave conferences with only smaller programs, they will suffer............to the point that some programs will undoubtedly be forced to shut down.
Rivalries are lost.
Many programs get poorer.

Are you supplanting the lost programs and rivalries with the Penn States and Illinois'? Maybe. But starting new programs to supplant old not only loses rivalries but also rich program histories, which are important to many in the game.

Are you creating more "interest" by getting programs in larger schools, thereby obtaining a net win?
That seems to be an opinion, but there is nothing guaranteed or even strongly evidenced, there, to support that. You are counting on "creating" interest in a sport. That's more than a leap of faith, AND something that YOU need to provide a cogent argument for. :shock: