Juniors?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyDad41

Juniors?

Post by HockeyDad41 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Should little HD skip the varsity program and go straight to juniors? Or should he stick around and go for the Mr. Hockey title and a state championship? Which is the better path to D1? How young can a kid start playing juniors?
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.

phil mccracken

Re: Juniors?

Post by phil mccracken » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:25 pm

HockeyDad41 wrote:Should little HD skip the varsity program and go straight to juniors? Or should he stick around and go for the Mr. Hockey title and a state championship? Which is the better path to D1? How young can a kid start playing juniors?
If it moves you over to the Junior forum I am all for it.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Which Junior league?
Be kind. Rewind.

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:18 pm

If your son will graduate with 3 years of Junior eligibility, stay in high school and enjoy it. If you will graduate with only the 2 yrs I would strongly suggest if you want to play juniors and even D3 then leave school.

I would also take a look at what high school your son attends, that has a huge "it" factor to some junior teams.

Some junior teams are no different then your local association hockey. Coaches friends, hometown, school friend of a friend and so on they all have their little connections. Feel those out and you also increase your chances.

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:15 am

HD41: Why would you want to mess around with US Jr's or D1 college hockey?

My advice for you is the Quebec Major Jr League. Predominately tiny little waterbugs. High skill level. No fighting.

Just stay away from the Western League. Need a pair to play there!

Better enroll little guy in French is my second language class.

northwoods oldtimer

Re: Juniors?

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 am

phil mccracken wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:Should little HD skip the varsity program and go straight to juniors? Or should he stick around and go for the Mr. Hockey title and a state championship? Which is the better path to D1? How young can a kid start playing juniors?
If it moves you over to the Junior forum I am all for it.

haha....no kidding!

Pens4

Post by Pens4 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:21 am

youngblood08 wrote:If your son will graduate with 3 years of Junior eligibility, stay in high school and enjoy it. If you will graduate with only the 2 yrs I would strongly suggest if you want to play juniors and even D3 then leave school.

I would also take a look at what high school your son attends, that has a huge "it" factor to some junior teams.

Some junior teams are no different then your local association hockey. Coaches friends, hometown, school friend of a friend and so on they all have their little connections. Feel those out and you also increase your chances.
Great post....it hits every "point of concern" with junior hockey. Has there ever been a player whose goal was to play 3 years of junior hockey? The goal is to play college hockey.

It doesn't matter which high school Johnny attended...that cute little Division III program still wants Johnny to play at least a year of juniors before they offer a Spot. Oh...did I mention they have no actual scholarship $...just an opportunity to play for their school and graduate with a world-class education at the age of 26. The good news is you can spend 2-3 years riding a bus around the country...all the time improving that SAT score that this academic school of excellence placed such weight on back when you were a high school senior.

Only problem with the plan, the other 200 players that have committed to division I programs and finally reached their point of incompetence...they too decided to fall back to division III team. That and all the DI washout's make it a pretty competitive senior men's team to make. Did I mention they have no scholarships to offer?

This is tiring topic...Full disclosure...I have never played junior hockey but have a son playing for one of those mega HS programs and has seen too many so-called bluechip players get Hung out for this to be an option. Would like to see these college's actually field a team that resembles a Wednesday bar league.

Pens4

Post by Pens4 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:27 am

youngblood08 wrote:If your son will graduate with 3 years of Junior eligibility, stay in high school and enjoy it. If you will graduate with only the 2 yrs I would strongly suggest if you want to play juniors and even D3 then leave school.

Great post....it hits every "point of concern" with junior hockey. Has there ever been a player whose goal was to play 3 years of junior hockey? The goal is to play college hockey.

It doesn't matter which high school Johnny attended...that cute little Division III program still wants Johnny to play at least a year of juniors before they offer a Spot. Oh...did I mention they have no actual scholarship $...just an opportunity to play for their school and graduate with a world-class education at the age of 26. The good news is you can spend 2-3 years riding a bus around the country...all the time improving that SAT score that this academic school of excellence placed such weight on back when you were a high school senior.

Only problem with the plan, the other 200 players that have committed to division I programs and finally reached their point of incompetence...they too decided to fall back to division III team. That and all the DI washout's make it a pretty competitive senior men's team to make. Did I mention they have no scholarships to offer?

This is tiring topic...Full disclosure...I have never played junior hockey but have a son playing for one of those mega HS programs and has seen too many so-called bluechip players get Hung out for this to be an option. Would like to see these college's actually field a team that resembles a Wednesday bar league.