2011 / 2012 Gophers

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

2011 / 2012 Gophers

Post by BodyShots »

Nice win tonight up in Duluth. I liked the way they came out in the 1st period and skated while also playing physical. The second period was tough to watch as the officials made some bad calls on both majors. The first one on Budish was brutal. He hit the guy in neutral ice in the shoulder and Marco Hunt makes the call from the goal line. On Rau's, it looked like he was skating up the boards and stopped and turned his back to the Duluth player. I didn't like either call.

Third period was better, but not as good as the first. It was nice to see them come back from behind and tie it up at the end. Then to win it in OT is something we would not have seen last year.

I also liked the way Schmidt and Paranteau played. The other defensive pairs (Helgeson/Hall, and Alt/Marshall) looked shakey. Lots of turnovers in their own end and at their blue line. Lets hope it was just first game jitters.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Nice two wins at Amsoil

Us Rodent fans will have a fun time in 2011/12 watching the young kids (17 freshman & sophmores) play! Do I mean they will be dominant... No. But they already have a better look than what we have watched in the last 4 years...

Team can score. They have goaltending. Patterson was key to this weekend. Geuntzel will make this D core better as year progresses. We have missed Geuntzel's D coaching. The turnovers and loss of puck control was a bit of a problem against a faster Bulldog squad this weekend. Puck control and turnovers killed past Gopher teams of recent years, yet with this young squad there is promise for improvement.

Should be a fun season to watch the kids grow up in front of us.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

GO GOPHERS!
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

I see the Soft Mr Hockey nominees are starting to play down to their reputation. We are all about mediocrity in MN Hockey as long as the politically connected kids are Gophers!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

How quickly they turn... :roll:
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

WB - you expect them to go undefeated in conference play?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WB6162 wrote:I see the Soft Mr Hockey nominees are starting to play down to their reputation. We are all about mediocrity in MN Hockey as long as the politically connected kids are Gophers!

Top 10 post for sure.
hahahahahahahaha!

A most observant post WB6162
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:How quickly they turn... :roll:
I haven't turned at all. I detest the Goophers program until they stop putting their little "in state political picks" on the team and get some real hockey players.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Tell me one kid on that roster that is a political pick that shouldnt be there. You know nothing.

Is Rau not worthy? He leads all Fr. in goals in the country.
Is Bjugstad not worth? He is considered to be one of the top NHL caliber players.
Is Budish not worthy? The guy has gone through two knee injuries.
Erik Haula? Real political pick - he is from Finland
Jake Hansen? The kid works is tail off!
Sam Warning? Very political being from Missouri.
Taylor Matson? From a working class family that works his butt off every shift.
Nate Condon? Another hard working forward from Wi - very political
Seth Ambrosz - from new prague - he must be the political player - Ha!
Travis Boyd - potential talent on the 4th line.
Nick Larson - smart kid and hard worker
Serratore - the ideal 4th line grinder
Alt? Holl? Helgeson? Marshall? Schmitt? Parenteau?
Patterson?

Please WB - share your expertise wisdom with all of us this morning. Please point out all of these political picks you speak of. Are you a lil upset YOUR team isnt fairing so well this year. You joke!
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Scoring for the "political gophers"

Matson - working class family
Condon - from wisconsin
Helgeson - from faribault
Bjugstad - ok, his dad played at the U. But do you not think he is woerth of being there, 9 goals on the year now!

Interesting :)
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
WB6162 wrote:I see the Soft Mr Hockey nominees are starting to play down to their reputation. We are all about mediocrity in MN Hockey as long as the politically connected kids are Gophers!

Top 10 post for sure.
hahahahahahahaha!

A most observant post WB6162
Really?!? :roll:

Get out of your mud hut once in a while... Get a sense of reality man... :!:

:lol:
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Nice bounceback night for the Rodents. The emotion and fire that was missing on Friday, came back on Saturday.
Team defense was very good, limiting shots and chances. Friday was full of too many turnovers and odd man rushes, not the case last night.

Only thing I would like to see more of, is for them to hit the net with more of their shots... They miss the net too many times with people in front of the net looking for rebounds...

Otherwise nice win in Sconny...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

DmanDad1980 wrote:Only thing I would like to see more of, is for them to hit the net with more of their shots... They miss the net too many times with people in front of the net looking for rebounds...
As I was watching the first two periods I was thinking the exact same thing. They were controlling the play but their shooting was off. They were going for the corners and missing, thus no rebound opportunities against a goalie who gives up rebounds if they would have kept it low and on target. Finally they were able to break through in the 3rd, starting with Matson's low, on target shot through the five hole.

But until Bjugstad's blast (which probably would have beaten ANY goaltender in the world) a game that the Gophers dominated was still in doubt, mainly because the Gophers did not shoot very well.