2011-2012 Mr Hockey Watch List

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHighSchoolPuck

2011-2012 Mr Hockey Watch List

Post by MNHighSchoolPuck » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Who wins it this year?I would think Justin Kloos is the preseason favorite,Who else has a shot?I know East has there big 3,are there any small school kids in the running?

Hounds19

Re: 2011-2012 Mr Hockey Watch List

Post by Hounds19 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:50 pm

MNHighSchoolPuck wrote:Who wins it this year?I would think Justin Kloos is the preseason favorite,Who else has a shot?I know East has there big 3,are there any small school kids in the running?
I agree kloos with the favorite. But like you said, keep an eye out for easts top line. Jake Randolph will give the assists, while Trevor olson and dom toninoto will be great scorers, as well as passers. In my mind, a big east hockey fan, trevor is the most complete player of the three

phil mccracken

Post by phil mccracken » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Kloos wins it
3rd year in a row the preseason favorite wins the award. I can't remember 4 yrs back. Besides being a great player, he is going to the U of M, something in common with most Mr Hockey winners. Just sayin

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 pm

phil mccracken wrote:Kloos wins it
3rd year in a row the preseason favorite wins the award. I can't remember 4 yrs back. Besides being a great player, he is going to the U of M, something in common with most Mr Hockey winners. Just sayin
I believe it was another former Gopher by the name of Leddy who won is 4 years ago.

scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:39 am

woah don't tell me you think there's a connection between Gopher commits and Mr. Hockey? That's never been thought of before :lol:

Justin Kloos seems like the favorite. That line in Duluth East with Olson, Randolph and Toninto will be sure to produce at least one candidate. Another team I look to for candidates might be Eagan with Merchant, Zajac and Nick Kuchera. Brodzinski from Blaine, Horn from BSM are some other notables. No real idea of any names I could drop for possible candidates from Class A.
"Once a Scarlet, Always a Scarlet"

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:50 am

scarlethockey33 wrote:woah don't tell me you think there's a connection between Gopher commits and Mr. Hockey? That's never been thought of before :lol:

Justin Kloos seems like the favorite. That line in Duluth East with Olson, Randolph and Toninto will be sure to produce at least one candidate. Another team I look to for candidates might be Eagan with Merchant, Zajac and Nick Kuchera. Brodzinski from Blaine, Horn from BSM are some other notables. No real idea of any names I could drop for possible candidates from Class A.
Brodzinski is a junior
some more notable nominees;

DE Trevor Olson
DE Dom Toninato
EAG Michael Zajac
EAG Will Merchant
BSM Christian Horn
BSM Jake Horton
STA Eric Schurhamer
STA Andrew Commers
HER Jared Thomas
EDI Ben Walker
TONKA Erik Baskin
STP Jay Dickman
BRE Grant Opperman
BRE Connor Andrle
MG Dylan Steman
LS Justin Kloos
The best, period

longdistancespectator8

Post by longdistancespectator8 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:40 am

If kloos has anywhere near the season that he had last year, i really don't think there is anyone who comes that close. Especially, since Lakeville South has created a pretty tough schedule with Edina, White Bear Lake, and Hill Murray being 3 of their 4 non conference games and then also the schwan's cup. Also, The majority of the top teams this year will run on depth, i.e. Eagan, Benilde, and Duluth East. Whereas LS will win and lose on the shoulders of Kloos. This makes it much more difficult for say Merchant or Randolph to put up numbers to win Mr. Hockey when compared to the 60+ points the Kloos will likely put up if he stays healthy.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:50 am

Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:09 pm

GordonBombay99 wrote:
phil mccracken wrote:Kloos wins it
I believe it was another former Gopher by the name of Leddy who won is 4 years ago.
Actually 4 seasons ago it was Mr. Ness from my beloved Roseau who took the award.

I agree with everyone else here, I think Kloos is the clear favorite this season. I look forward to seeing him in a Gopher uniform!

MNpuckfanatic77

Post by MNpuckfanatic77 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Ben Walker from Edina would be a well-fit candidate. Depending on what kind of a season he has

nickel slots

Post by nickel slots » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:02 pm

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:
scarlethockey33 wrote:woah don't tell me you think there's a connection between Gopher commits and Mr. Hockey? That's never been thought of before :lol:

Brodzinski is a junior
some more notable nominees;

DE Trevor Olson
DE Dom Toninato
EAG Michael Zajac
EAG Will Merchant
BSM Christian Horn
BSM Jake Horton
STA Eric Schurhamer
STA Andrew Commers
HER Jared Thomas
EDI Ben Walker
TONKA Erik Baskin
STP Jay Dickman
BRE Grant Opperman
BRE Connor Andrle
MG Dylan Steman
LS Justin Kloos
Pretty sure it WON'T be Jake Horton.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.

InTheKnow

Post by InTheKnow » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:17 pm

MNpuckfanatic77 wrote:Ben Walker from Edina would be a well-fit candidate. Depending on what kind of a season he has
Bennie Walker is gone from Edina and is playing Major Jr. in Victoria, BC this season.

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:47 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
MNpuckfanatic77 wrote:Ben Walker from Edina would be a well-fit candidate. Depending on what kind of a season he has
Bennie Walker is gone from Edina and is playing Major Jr. in Victoria, BC this season.
He hasn't played a game yet, when did he leave?? Another Minnesotan is on the squad as well, Logan Nelson.
Pretty sure it WON'T be Jake Horton.
Why is that? He had almost 50 points last year, not bad from the blueline...

outside_observer

Post by outside_observer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:48 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
I don't see him on the Royals ( the only Major Junior Hockey team in Victoria) , Grizzlies or the Cougars rosters????

What team is he on? Maybe not Victoria?

And he is a forward.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Can anyone confirm walker leaving Edina, I find this one hard to believe.

outside_observer

Post by outside_observer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Gophers are in Bold
(did I miss any?)
  • Year Recipient School
    2011 Kyle Rau Eden Prairie
    2010 Nick Bjugstad Blaine
    2009 Nick Leddy Eden Prairie
    2008 Aaron Ness Roseau
    2007 Ryan McDonagh Cretin-Derham Hall
    2006 David Fischer Apple Valley
    2005 Brian Lee Moorhead
    2004 Tom Gorowski Centennial
    2003 Nate Dey North St. Paul
    2002 Gino Guyer Greenway (Coleraine)
    2001 Marty Sertich Roseville
    2000 Paul Martin Elk River
    1999 Jeff Taffe Hastings
    1998 Johnny Pohl Red Wing
    1997 Aaron Miskovich Grand Rapids
    1996 Dave Spehar Duluth East
    1995 Erik Rasmussen St. Louis Park
    1994 Mike Crowley Bloomington Jefferson
    1993 Nick Checco Bloomington Jefferson
    1992 Brian Bonin White Bear Lake
    1991 Darby Hendrickson Richfield
    1990 Joe Dziedzic Minneapolis Edison
    1989 Trent Klatt Osseo Senior High School
    1988 Larry Olimb Warroad
    1987 Kris Miller Greenway (Coleraine)
    1986 George Pelawa Bemidji
    1985 Tom Chorske Minneapolis Southwest

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:40 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Can anyone confirm walker leaving Edina, I find this one hard to believe.
it is true he is leaving, he decided over the weekend many kids on the team are disappointed and feel like he is being selfish as he has been thinking about this all summer but decided to go through with it only a couple days before the season starts especially with him being there captain

hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:45 pm

[quote="green4"][quote="keepyourheadup"]Can anyone confirm walker leaving Edina, I find this one hard to believe.[/quote]

it is true he is leaving, he decided over the weekend many kids on the team are disappointed and feel like he is being selfish as he has been thinking about this all summer but decided to go through with it only a couple days before the season starts especially with him being there captain[/quote]

And I thought Edina was supposed to be one of the best public schools in the state :roll: :wink:

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:53 pm

hockeyfan893 wrote:
green4 wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:Can anyone confirm walker leaving Edina, I find this one hard to believe.
it is true he is leaving, he decided over the weekend many kids on the team are disappointed and feel like he is being selfish as he has been thinking about this all summer but decided to go through with it only a couple days before the season starts especially with him being there captain
And I thought Edina was supposed to be one of the best public schools in the state :roll: :wink:
well the reason why he is leaving the kids on the team are saying is he wants a higher level to play at which became clear to him as he scored 8 goals during the teams tryouts on friday and he thinks the best place to go for that is canada and not for edina which is likely to have a real down year now

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:55 pm

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760

Interesting decision. I generally think it is a bad choice to ruin your college eligibility. But to each their own.

siouxforce19

Post by siouxforce19 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32760

Interesting decision. I generally think it is a bad choice to ruin your college eligibility. But to each their own.
I think it's a bad decision on his part. It's my personal opinion that Major Juniors in Canada is better suited for players with the more high-end NHL talent and that would only need a couple years to get to the NHL. No offense to Mr. Walker, but I don't think he fits that kind of player. Good player, but I would be surprised to say the least to see him in the NHL anytime soon.

Nothing against the WHL, as I'm sure their superfans will find this and come on here and talk like they always seem to do, but for this particular player ... it's not a good decision. But it's a decision he will have to live with. Hope he doesn't regret it later.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:38 pm

I reluctantly support Ben's choice if that is truly what he wants but he was hardly a dominating player in the elite league this fall. As a ten year old He was, IMO, the best player in the state but hasn't produced at nearly the same rate in the years since. The competition will be better but if I'm not mistaken he was elidgible to be drafted last year. So its two years in the WHL and then what? The high school hockey landscape is changing very quickly, I'm afraid before too long it will be a shadow of what it once was. Good luck to Ben and I really hope this decision works out well for him.

phil mccracken

Post by phil mccracken » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:37 pm

green4 wrote:
hockeyfan893 wrote:
green4 wrote:
well the reason why he is leaving the kids on the team are saying is he wants a higher level to play at which became clear to him as he scored 8 goals during the teams tryouts on friday and he thinks the best place to go for that is canada and not for edina which is likely to have a real down year now

scrimmage, didn't the school season start on 11/14?

passthepuck38

Post by passthepuck38 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:41 pm

InTheKnow wrote:
Best of luck to him at the next level. Great kid and a great hockey player.

bafata88

Post by bafata88 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:14 pm

green4 wrote:
Noone should think he is being selfish. If his decision is good for him, leave it at that. Minnesota hockey generally is focused not on team building but creating opportunities for the individual players. As for Edina, Giles is no Herb Brooks. Giles bends over backwards to inhibit team chemistry. Look at last year's team as the example; moving guys up and down; making mysterious personnel choices; sitting players as healthy scratches. Sure he won a state championship two years ago; but geez, with the talent he gets, he should have 4 or 5 by now. Frankly, I think Giles is laughing at the Edina parents. They care so much about hockey, incredibly support their youth program, provide the high school with top top talent; and Giles consistently finds a way to botch it all up. With Walker gone, that makes three seniors with varsity experience not playing.

And now all of the Giles apologists can attack this post. Here we go....

As for Walker, the best of luck, have fun playing hockey in the WHL.