Moundsview

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tony Soprano

Moundsview

Post by Tony Soprano »

According to the MSHSL site, looks like Moundsview is looking for a new coach. Any thoughts on the current status of the program? Looks like they should be fairly competitive the next couple years.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Maybe Mcalpine?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

LaPanta....?

McClanahan....?
MnMade-4-Life

Post by MnMade-4-Life »

Lucia?
/chugga chugga
/chugga chugga
WOOOOOOOOO
WOOOOOOOOO
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MnMade-4-Life wrote:Lucia?
Bernie McDollarsigns?
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

I'll do it! How much are they paying me? :P
Always celly hard.
1parent

Re: Moundsview

Post by 1parent »

Tony Soprano wrote:According to the MSHSL site, looks like Moundsview is looking for a new coach. Any thoughts on the current status of the program? Looks like they should be fairly competitive the next couple years.
From the sounds of it he might have been let go? From watching MV in the past I always thought he did a pretty good job. I wasn't around the program this year so maybe something happened. I would think there assistant coach would be in the running, unless he was let go also? My son played for him years ago at the bantam level and had a great experience. From what I know he is very will respected by the players and parents.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Aaron Fulton and Aaron Lewicki have been a great 1-2 punch at the Bantam A level for the last couple of years.

Both are relatively young, knowledgeable about the game, and can get a ton of respect from the players.

I'd be quite surprised if they weren't given serious consideration....that is if they want the job.
The U invented swagger.
1parent

Post by 1parent »

Goldy Gopher wrote:Aaron Fulton and Aaron Lewicki have been a great 1-2 punch at the Bantam A level for the last couple of years.

Both are relatively young, knowledgeable about the game, and can get a ton of respect from the players.

I'd be quite surprised if they weren't given serious consideration....that is if they want the job.
Don't know anything about them. What type of coaching experience do they have besides coaching the last couple years at bantams?
brandy38

Post by brandy38 »

For one thing the Bantam A team was the top team in District 2 this past season. The HS team needs coaches that will keep tons of kids from heading to private schools.
1parent wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:Aaron Fulton and Aaron Lewicki have been a great 1-2 punch at the Bantam A level for the last couple of years.

Don't know anything about them. What type of coaching experience do they have besides coaching the last couple years at bantams?
1parent

Post by 1parent »

Just curious to know thier coaches experience? Going from coaching bantam hockey to the varsity level is a new animal. I believe the last time MV won the league in D2 outright was when the current varsity assistant was the coach.

Brady your right in saying MV needs to keep kids and I know from watching my son when he played and talking with his buddy's that players love to play for the current assistant. I have to think it's his time. Maybe bringing the the bantam coaches in to run the JV would be a great fit.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

They have a good group of players coming up. If they keep the kids it could be successful bunch.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

1parent wrote:Just curious to know thier coaches experience? Going from coaching bantam hockey to the varsity level is a new animal. I believe the last time MV won the league in D2 outright was when the current varsity assistant was the coach.

Brady your right in saying MV needs to keep kids and I know from watching my son when he played and talking with his buddy's that players love to play for the current assistant. I have to think it's his time. Maybe bringing the the bantam coaches in to run the JV would be a great fit.
They've been successful at multiple levels of youth hockey, in multiple cities for the last 10 or so years.
The U invented swagger.
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

If the current A bantam coaches do not have hs coaching experience at all, does it make sense to put them at the helm of the varsity and the entire MV hs program?

It sounds like the players like to play for the current assistant coach and it also sounds like several parents also support this assistant. Sounds like they may need to take a serious look at this assistant who also coached bantams in the MV system.

Bringing the current bantam coaches up to coach the JV may sound good, but then they would have to look for new bantam coaches and if they are as good as you say, that does not make a lot of sense either. You need to have someone with hs experience running your hs program in my mind.

Keeping them at the bantam level, and putting the assistant in as the head coach would keep some consistency within the MV program which is in a good place right now.

Seems to me that this would make the most sense in securing development at both levels.

Thoughts?
DannyCalifornia

Post by DannyCalifornia »

old goalie85 wrote:They have a good group of players coming up. If they keep the kids it could be successful bunch.
So the question is: How many of the current players coming in off
the bantam A team are actually going to stay at MV HS?
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

No area can answer how many will stay in their system and play for their high school. That includes EP, Edina, WBL, Wayzata, and the list can go on. About the only way you can make sure they stay is to get them all in the arena, lock the doors and throw away the key.

Even if you are a winning bantam program and a sucessful HS program, kids will always wander off.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Tony Soprano wrote:If the current A bantam coaches do not have hs coaching experience at all, does it make sense to put them at the helm of the varsity and the entire MV hs program?

It sounds like the players like to play for the current assistant coach and it also sounds like several parents also support this assistant. Sounds like they may need to take a serious look at this assistant who also coached bantams in the MV system.

Bringing the current bantam coaches up to coach the JV may sound good, but then they would have to look for new bantam coaches and if they are as good as you say, that does not make a lot of sense either. You need to have someone with hs experience running your hs program in my mind.

Keeping them at the bantam level, and putting the assistant in as the head coach would keep some consistency within the MV program which is in a good place right now.

Seems to me that this would make the most sense in securing development at both levels.

Thoughts?
It sounds like the group of bantams that have come through MV in the last couple years will give them a nice little window of opportunity to have a high level of success at the high school level. Why not let the group that led them to a bantam A state championship game continue the run in high school?

Also, the whole "keeping the group together" mentality certainly wouldn't hurt the effort to keep MV's talent in MV.
The U invented swagger.
1parent

Post by 1parent »

It sounds like the group of bantams that have come through MV in the last couple years will give them a nice little window of opportunity to have a high level of success at the high school level. Why not let the group that led them to a bantam A state championship game continue the run in high school?

Also, the whole "keeping the group together" mentality certainly wouldn't hurt the effort to keep MV's talent in MV.[/quote]

Goldy this is the issue at MV they keep going through coaches to please parents. So when this group is gone do you bring in the new bantam coaches if they had success with their group and so on and so on?
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

1parent wrote:It sounds like the group of bantams that have come through MV in the last couple years will give them a nice little window of opportunity to have a high level of success at the high school level. Why not let the group that led them to a bantam A state championship game continue the run in high school?

Also, the whole "keeping the group together" mentality certainly wouldn't hurt the effort to keep MV's talent in MV.
Goldy this is the issue at MV they keep going through coaches to please parents. So when this group is gone do you bring in the new bantam coaches if they had success with their group and so on and so on?[/quote]

If the position is open and the bantam coaches have had as much success as the current group...that's exactly what I'd do.

This isn't firing one guy and bringing in another guy that the parents like more. This is filling an open head coaching position with coaches that have proven they can take this group of kids and win against the best in the state. What's so wrong with that?
The U invented swagger.
1parent

Post by 1parent »

Goldy, we'll just have to see who they go with I guess. I know a lot of people in this community want the assistant coach so it will be interesting to see.
Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano »

When will the final decision be made? Maybe there is a way to have both involved in the program if they think it can work. I still think you need someone with some hs experience running the overall program. I still have not seen from anyone if these bantam coaches have any hs coaching experience or not?

Sure the run could maybe continue but I agree that hs is a different animal. Then you look at the SEC and then section 4AA and the landscape changes from the bantam level when you add in the private schools.

I would think the decision will be coming soon.
Mustang Hockey

coach has been chosen

Post by Mustang Hockey »

the assistant coach from last years team will lead the new Mustang charge.
Mustang Hockey

i.e.

Post by Mustang Hockey »

We'll see how much his HS experience kicks in and if he can lead this great group of up and coming kids. talk to ya in 365 days
1parent

Re: i.e.

Post by 1parent »

Mustang Hockey wrote:We'll see how much his HS experience kicks in and if he can lead this great group of up and coming kids. talk to ya in 365 days
It's funny that I hear people talk about this group of kids but when I asked my son how this years group did as bantams he said they were not very good. What is all the hype about? Sounds like it was the Junior group that had thew success. Anyone have information on that?
GreekChurch

Post by GreekChurch »

I only saw them play twice this past season, but saw them a half dozen times the year before, and both teams looked very simiular. They were both very solid teams, as their records from MN Hockey indicate - 2009 -10 they were 45 - 11 - 5, and this past season they were 41 - 12 - 5 That a pretty good two year run.