Edina Junior Gold A better than Varsity team?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bafata88

Post by bafata88 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:25 pm

O-townClown wrote:
bafata88 wrote: The frosh and sophs could play a little JV just like most underclassmen.
Agreed in a perfect world, but there is another side to the story.

When Pete Carroll was at USC he landed elite recruits and often played them right away. What did this do? It helped him get more and more and more top recruits.

In today's Twin Cities HS hockey, there are private schools that are sometimes quite willing to play freshmen and sophomores in a very meaningful role. If a public school coach makes kids wait until they are juniors he runs the risk of not getting the next wave.
You make some sense, but I can't forget the fact that this is high school hockey, not big time D1 football where millions of dollars are on the line. Are these high school coaches really under the gun to produce winners? I don't think so.

And in other words, you are saying that because Ken Pauly promised some young Edina kids playing time as frosh and sophs, Giles is worried about losing his next crop of MN Blades? Has it really come to this? My point: Class AA high school hockey should not be exempt from logic and reason and fairness. This is not professional hockey; this is not big time college hockey. I would say that every one of those seniors cut at Edina, who I remind you were good to enough to make the varsity team at some point, had earned the opportunity to play their senior year for their school.

Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:12 pm

bafata88 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:
bafata88 wrote: The frosh and sophs could play a little JV just like most underclassmen.
Agreed in a perfect world, but there is another side to the story.

When Pete Carroll was at USC he landed elite recruits and often played them right away. What did this do? It helped him get more and more and more top recruits.

In today's Twin Cities HS hockey, there are private schools that are sometimes quite willing to play freshmen and sophomores in a very meaningful role. If a public school coach makes kids wait until they are juniors he runs the risk of not getting the next wave.
You make some sense, but I can't forget the fact that this is high school hockey, not big time D1 football where millions of dollars are on the line. Are these high school coaches really under the gun to produce winners? I don't think so.

And in other words, you are saying that because Ken Pauly promised some young Edina kids playing time as frosh and sophs, Giles is worried about losing his next crop of MN Blades? Has it really come to this? My point: Class AA high school hockey should not be exempt from logic and reason and fairness. This is not professional hockey; this is not big time college hockey. I would say that every one of those seniors cut at Edina, who I remind you were good to enough to make the varsity team at some point, had earned the opportunity to play their senior year for their school.
Spot-on reply...Some say it's rap, some say it's legendary. Let me ask my Florida friend one question, who really is making the final team selection? Carroll was a mastermind in team chemistry....

Redlight

Post by Redlight » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 am

The Hornets are going to take their lumps early on but have to much young talent to not make a strong showing in the spring.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 am

Bafata -

Give it a rest! Its over and done with. What happened at Edina is not out of the ordinary by any means. Look what happened at Hill Murray last year. A senior got cut that was good enough to go play NAHL last season his senior season. I dont remember the name, maybe Sova, but I remember reading about it in the star tribune I think. Anyways, a pretty good kid got cut at Hill Murray.

I will guarantee you Bafata that there are more seniors out there that got cut that brought more to their respective teams than these Edina kids.

And for you people to think its easy to be in Giles position are very mistaken. He has loads and loads of talent each and every season that gets cut. It wouldnt shock me to know that a 9th grader would have left Edina unless he made the high school team. Does anyone know why? Cause hockey parents are psycho!! Thats whats ruining thing these days.