Lorne Grosso

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeydad

Lorne Grosso

Post by hockeydad »

This is on the Rochester Post Bulletins' Website... best wishes for a full recovery

Rochester Mayo boys hockey coach Lorne Grosso had successful heart surgery at Saint Marys Hospital on Monday.

Grosso, 69, underwent a quadruple bypass.

Mayo activities director Jeff Whitney said he spoke with Grosso's wife, Joannie, about 9 p.m. Monday. Joannie said Lorne will be kept in the ICU and monitored closely for about 24 hours as he begins his recovery.

The Grosso family is requesting that, because of the magnitude of the surgery, friends wait to visit Lorne until he returns home, hopefully by this weekend. For more on Grosso's outlook, see Tuesday's print edition.
mn man

Post by mn man »

Best wishes Lorne, hope you are back behind the bench soon!
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

I seem to remember Grosso's kid was the best player on the ice for the '95 team. They beat White Bear in the tourney quarter upset and lost to Moorhead I think in OT in the semis. They lost to Edina for third place. Best wishes

Edit: I stand corrected. Mayo lost to Moorhead in two OT's. That had to have been Cullen with the game winner for the Spuds. An excellent two-way player that went pro.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:I seem to remember Grosso's kid was the best player on the ice for the '95 team. They beat White Bear in the tourney quarter upset and lost to Moorhead I think in OT in the semis. They lost to Edina for third place. Best wishes

Edit: I stand corrected. Mayo lost to Moorhead in two OT's. That had to have been Cullen with the game winner for the Spuds. An excellent two-way player that went pro.
Yep, it was Cullen.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
politicalpuck

Lorne Grosso in "Scarlet Ice"

Post by politicalpuck »

I add my wishes for a full recovery for Mr. Grosso.

Mr. Grosso did an interview in the forthcoming book, "Scarlet Ice" published by Two Harbors Press. The book's release date is Dec. 20 (visit Scarletice.com). I got an advance copy of Scarlet Ice and this is a footnote from the book:

Mayo has qualified for the Class AA state tournament seven times and made it to the Class AA state semifinals at the end of the 1994-95 season, losing 5-4 in two overtimes. Future NHLer Matt Cullen ended Mayo’s season that year; Grosso said it was his best club. Cullen was selected by Anaheim in the second round (35th overall) in the 1996 NHL draft and played for the Minnesota Wild during the 2010-11 season, his sixth NHL team.