12/28 - Duluth East vs Minnetonka

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins tonight's game between Duluth East and Minnetonka?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:30 am

Duluth East
45%
Minnetonka
55%

Total votes: 44

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:24 am

mulefarm wrote:I would say the 2008 tonka team was better than the 2010 and the 1998 DE team was their best team.
Agreed. The '98 team was an exceptional team that aside from some procedural BS was "essentially" undefeated.

Also agree with Lee that this DE team needs to get to the show in March to merit consideration as an all-timer. It has what it takes, however.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:15 pm

mnmouth wrote:
mulefarm wrote:I would say the 2008 tonka team was better than the 2010 and the 1998 DE team was their best team.
Agreed. The '98 team was an exceptional team that aside from some procedural BS was "essentially" undefeated.

Also agree with Lee that this DE team needs to get to the show in March to merit consideration as an all-timer. It has what it takes, however.
The 98 team did have one legitimate loss (to Grand Rapids in December).

The other two "losses" on the East schedule were forfeits, and I believe they were eventually cleared of the charges that led to those forfeits in the first place. The MSHSL didn't bother to re-instate the wins.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:43 pm

karl(east) wrote:
mnmouth wrote:

The other two "losses" on the East schedule were forfeits, and I believe they were eventually cleared of the charges that led to those forfeits in the first place. The MSHSL didn't bother to re-instate the wins.
East chose not to pursue reinstatement. Having Rheese Carlson cleared to play (starting in the Edina game) was good enough.

Hard to compare the '95 & '98 teams with the goal of deciding which team was better. Coole was a better goalie than Ledingham, the '95 team was more explosive, the '98 team had better depth with essentially two #1 lines. Defensively, the '98 team had Finnegan and Angell as their stars who had some serious offensive clout. The '95 team had Dylan Mills and Ryan Coole who were really coming into their own. The '95 team was younger; remember that they were still considered by many to be "one year away" with most of their best players being juniors. The '98 team had something to prove after going undefeated until their state title game loss. The '95 team had to listen to people talk all season long about a probable Jefferson four-peat, despite the fact they had held their own against the Jefferson kids coming up through the ranks. That 5-0 result shut the talk up. :)

A lot of different ways one could compare the two teams. Both were outstanding and a real treat to watch.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm

east hockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
mnmouth wrote:

East chose not to pursue reinstatement. Having Rheese Carlson cleared to play (starting in the Edina game) was good enough.

Hard to compare the '95 & '98 teams with the goal of deciding which team was better. Coole was a better goalie than Ledingham, the '95 team was more explosive, the '98 team had better depth with essentially two #1 lines. Defensively, the '98 team had Finnegan and Angell as their stars who had some serious offensive clout. The '95 team had Dylan Mills and Ryan Coole who were really coming into their own. The '95 team was younger; remember that they were still considered by many to be "one year away" with most of their best players being juniors. The '98 team had something to prove after going undefeated until their state title game loss. The '95 team had to listen to people talk all season long about a probable Jefferson four-peat, despite the fact they had held their own against the Jefferson kids coming up through the ranks. That 5-0 result shut the talk up. :)

A lot of different ways one could compare the two teams. Both were outstanding and a real treat to watch.

Lee
I thought the '98 team was second only to Jefferson '93 as the team of the 90s, mainly because of their depth. East was ranked no. 1 in most polls coming into the '98 state tourney and then dispatched Hastings, Jefferson, and Anoka - all ranked 2-4 depending on what poll you were reading (though Jefferson was #1 in at least one poll).