NORTH DAKOTA

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

IS KRISTO A WUSS?

YES
11
50%
NO
11
50%
 
Total votes: 22

C-dad
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Post by C-dad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:That's your biased opinion, and I am not going to dispute it.

I've seen that both teams become chippy against one another every game; that is what I was stating. We're obviously going to disagree so lets just move on.

8)
I don't disagree on chippy stuff. But that was never the contention. It is the general behavior that was being pointed out.

I give credit to Kristo for acknowledging his behavior and apologizing. Same with Hakstol stripping Blood's "A" from him and Blood admitting wrong. Hopefully lessons learned.
Actually Kristo did not apologize for tracking Marshall down and railing him from behind with an elbow to the head, he only apologized for the kindergarten level hissy fit he threw when he got penalized for his blatant cheap shot. Ever notice that Kristo didn't go after Helgeson or Alt, but 5-9 freshman Marshall and Blood didn't go after Bjugstad, Buddish or Ambroz, but after 5'-8", 170 lb Rau? And back when Frattin launched himself forearms first at a Gopher player's head it was another small Gopher d-man? Anyone notice a trend by the big, bad, tough Fighting Whiox? :roll:

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6540
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 am

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Tigers33 wrote:Ben Blood makes a scene in the handshake. I could careless if kids were talking trash, they all do!! Video clearly shows Blood intentionally goes after Rau which is about half his size. Not sure if Blood will sit the next game, but he should.
For those who might not have seen the video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 40434.html

Personally I won't miss playing the Sioux every year starting in 2013. I've seen more than enough of this minor league Slap Shot crap over the years and am ready to move on.

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:50 pm

C-dad wrote:Actually Kristo did not apologize for tracking Marshall down and railing him from behind with an elbow to the head, he only apologized for the kindergarten level hissy fit he threw when he got penalized for his blatant cheap shot. Ever notice that Kristo didn't go after Helgeson or Alt, but 5-9 freshman Marshall and Blood didn't go after Bjugstad, Buddish or Ambroz, but after 5'-8", 170 lb Rau? And back when Frattin launched himself forearms first at a Gopher player's head it was another small Gopher d-man? Anyone notice a trend by the big, bad, tough Fighting Whiox? :roll:
:-({|=

:lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW

C-dad
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Post by C-dad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:18 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
C-dad wrote:Actually Kristo did not apologize for tracking Marshall down and railing him from behind with an elbow to the head, he only apologized for the kindergarten level hissy fit he threw when he got penalized for his blatant cheap shot. Ever notice that Kristo didn't go after Helgeson or Alt, but 5-9 freshman Marshall and Blood didn't go after Bjugstad, Buddish or Ambroz, but after 5'-8", 170 lb Rau? And back when Frattin launched himself forearms first at a Gopher player's head it was another small Gopher d-man? Anyone notice a trend by the big, bad, tough Fighting Whiox? :roll:
:-({|=

:lol:

8)
:?: :roll: :? :wink:

CitiesSpudsGuy
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:55 am
Location: Spudville

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Quote from Blood: "That's not how I want to represent our program, and that's not how we handle ourselves here."

That's laughable. The Suzies have ALWAYS been cheap like that - no matter who they're playing, not just against the Gophers - going all the way back to the Dean Blais days and their fans love it. The team, coaches and fans all deserve each other.
Last edited by CitiesSpudsGuy on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
50 years of Spuds Hockey

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 am

observer wrote:Players reflect their coach's behavior.
Agreed

Hakstol & Eades... nothing more needs to be said...

Gopher Blog
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:14 pm
Contact:

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 am

C-dad wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:That's your biased opinion, and I am not going to dispute it.

I've seen that both teams become chippy against one another every game; that is what I was stating. We're obviously going to disagree so lets just move on.

8)
I don't disagree on chippy stuff. But that was never the contention. It is the general behavior that was being pointed out.

I give credit to Kristo for acknowledging his behavior and apologizing. Same with Hakstol stripping Blood's "A" from him and Blood admitting wrong. Hopefully lessons learned.
Actually Kristo did not apologize for tracking Marshall down and railing him from behind with an elbow to the head, he only apologized for the kindergarten level hissy fit he threw when he got penalized for his blatant cheap shot. Ever notice that Kristo didn't go after Helgeson or Alt, but 5-9 freshman Marshall and Blood didn't go after Bjugstad, Buddish or Ambroz, but after 5'-8", 170 lb Rau? And back when Frattin launched himself forearms first at a Gopher player's head it was another small Gopher d-man? Anyone notice a trend by the big, bad, tough Fighting Whiox? :roll:
I wasn't meaning to imply that Kristo apologized for the hit. I meant how he acted after the fact.

Quite honestly, I don't think hits like that really need an apology. He got penalized and he got kicked out of the game. That's enough for me. If Marshall had been seriously hurt, then I could see apologizing for it. But he was OK and I don't think anything further is necessary on Kristo's part. If we asked every hockey player to apologize for such things, these guys would be issuing apologies on a pretty regular basis.

I do agree that Blood was a bit of a joke for going after the smallest guy on the team. Rau wasn't even on the ice when the buzzer sounded. Hansen was and did trip Blood after Blood fired a shot at Ambroz at the buzzer. But Hansen isn't small like Rau so I am not sure how Blood could confuse the two. :lol:

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Post by WayOutWest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:41 am

Gopher Blog wrote: But Hansen isn't small like Rau so I am not sure how Blood could confuse the two. :lol:
He attends UND.
And that explains that.

siouxforce19
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:51 pm

Post by siouxforce19 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:25 am

PuckU126 wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:Puck UUUUUU - Which of the Gophers should apologize for their behavior? I think what every human being can see is that the sioux had a few players completely act immature and unprofessional. This attitude reflects their leader.

Will Blood be given a one game suspension?
I doubt Blood will be given a one game suspension, that's regardless if he plays for the UUUU :lol: or UND. (Unless there was something during the hand shake again - ie Joe Finley)

As for Gophers that need to apologize, none. Kristo needed to make a statement because his behavior was out of line. Besides that, the game was a typical UND, MN game (chippy).

8)
Personally, I think everyone should quit throwing around the word "class." It's clear to me that neither team has any. And to argue either way is ridiculous.

These handshake line fiascos wouldn't be such a big deal if certain former and current Gophers would keep their mouths shut in the line and restrict comments to "good game" or something to that extent. But we all know that didn't happen, and apparently never will. It's fine... :roll:

As for who should apologize... I'm not going to open THAT can of worms.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Siouxforce - Should it be a penalty for trash talking? :)

I will bet my kids life savings that Rau didnt say anything in line. It was Blood trying to send a message to a team they just lost to 6-2.

And as far as class...please explain over the last ten years how many times the Gophers embarrassed themselves by a lack of class. Now compare that to the Sioux...:)

Two minute minor for calling someone's girlfriend ugly...Lol!!

C-dad
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Post by C-dad » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:26 pm

I guess siouxforce was there in the line both times to hear what the Gopher players said to incite the behavior of the UND players, eh?

mulefarm
Posts: 1669
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01 am

Post by mulefarm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Gophers are classy, more embarassed about Frattin sending Wehrs to Montana and not one teammate came to his defense!

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Cepis starting stuff last year wasnt coming to the defense??? If I remember that penalty didnt even draw a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. However, I think a lot of people felt it should have.

If trash talking was a penalty cepis would have had loads of penalties :)

I will miss these two teams playing, but will not miss the obnoxious sioux fans :)

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Post by WayOutWest » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:23 am

Tigers33 wrote:
I will miss these two teams playing, but will not miss the obnoxious sioux fans :)
We'll ALL miss the teams playing BECAUSE of this behavior. Villains have their role, and UND plays it VERY well.
UND vs. UM is always exciting.

Don't fret, though. You have those exciting UM/Penn State matchups to look forward to, instead.

greybeard58
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:40 am

Post by greybeard58 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:49 am

The Blood incident made the top 10 worst plays on ESPN.

BBB
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Post by BBB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pN6q83g ... re=related
They officially named that "Wehrs Corner"
I like how Helgeson is like let me at 'em ref in each instance. not to defend Frattin's hit by what a lazy play by Kangas on the Frattin/Wehrs collision.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:47 pm

What just happened? Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. What just happened?

jackdaw
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:48 pm

Blood

Post by jackdaw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Tigers33 wrote:What just happened? Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. What just happened?
We sat behind the Sioux bench yesterday and was surprised at how little emotion ND played with. There was little to no energy from the players.

I do have to compliment Hakstol at the end of the game. He pulled Blood over to the bench and told him to "keep his head".

warriors41
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Re: Blood

Post by warriors41 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:08 am

jackdaw wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:What just happened? Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. What just happened?
We sat behind the Sioux bench yesterday and was surprised at how little emotion ND played with. There was little to no energy from the players.

I do have to compliment Hakstol at the end of the game. He pulled Blood over to the bench and told him to "keep his head".
I think the back to back games against two really strong opponents really hurt them. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but they were double shifting both Nelson and Kristo a lot. I saw those two players skate with the 3rd/4th line several times through out the game. Playing short handed like that is one thing, but if you come to the ice with the lack of energy and excitement they showed it's gonna be a long day for you.

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 am

Gophers played back to back games too, right? The BU game wasnt a 7-3 type of game.

The ND crowd was pretty lifeless too. Maybe they need alcohol to have a good time.

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:37 am

Tigers33 wrote:Maybe they need alcohol to have a good time.
They do need alcohol to have a good time, which is true for most fans of all teams.

8)
The Puck
LGW

warriors41
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Post by warriors41 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:41 am

Tigers33 wrote:Gophers played back to back games too, right? The BU game wasnt a 7-3 type of game.

The ND crowd was pretty lifeless too. Maybe they need alcohol to have a good time.
Honestly, I wasn't trying to take anything away from the Gophers. They absolutely deserved to win. But you didn't see Rau or Bjugstad doing double shifts like you saw top notch UND players. I was simply saying that the short bench finally caught up to the SIOUX. Either way, hats off the U of M, especially the seniors.

DmanDad1980
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by DmanDad1980 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 pm

North Dakota had a great year this year. :shock:

I know, this coming from a die hard Gopher fan...

But they were so depleted this year with injury, and maybe a little down on the total overall talent they have had in the past. I have to give credit to Hakstol & Eades, especially late in the year when they made a great run through the Final 5, doing it with three lines and 4-5 D... Really, one talented line, and two over reaching lines... Dell played great through that period as well... North Dakota has some very good kids coming, as usual, but I have to say, they were undermanned and had less talent than years past this year... But they went further than they should have quite frankly, and that has to be commended...

I still do not like "North Dakota" hockey. :D

Tigers33
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 am

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Stop making excuses for them. Knight, Kristo, and Nelson are probably considered to be one of the top lines in all of college hockey. I think they put up 130+ points this season. Not bad?

As for their defenseman - I specifically remember Macwilliam, Blood, Forbort, Mattson, and Panzarella playing quite often. I also believe Simpson played a bunch, he was on their top pp. Gleason played forward obviously. Senkbiel was also dressed.

I distinctively remember this stuff happening to the U of M and Don went out and got extra players for this reason in the past. We are sitting on 3/4 extra forwards and 2 extra defenseman. Didnt Schmitt have to play forward last year cause of injuries and lack of depth. This isnt uncommon.

I would not have played Nelson on the 4th line if I were them. They were getting loads of tv timeouts which were up to two minutes in length. 3.5 lines should have been fine. I think the gophers 4th line played 3 shifts the final period, with one of them being the last 30 seconds of the game. I would argue the Gophers basically played 3 lines as well. Bottom line is our 2nd and 3rd lines outproduced their top line.

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:51 am

DmanDad1980 wrote:North Dakota had a great year this year. :shock:

I know, this coming from a die hard Gopher fan...

But they were so depleted this year with injury, and maybe a little down on the total overall talent they have had in the past. I have to give credit to Hakstol & Eades, especially late in the year when they made a great run through the Final 5, doing it with three lines and 4-5 D... Really, one talented line, and two over reaching lines... Dell played great through that period as well... North Dakota has some very good kids coming, as usual, but I have to say, they were undermanned and had less talent than years past this year... But they went further than they should have quite frankly, and that has to be commended...

I still do not like "North Dakota" hockey. :D
Finally, a fan of one of these teams that is able to set aside their bias.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Post Reply