Hill-Murray (14-6) @ Lakeville South (13-7) 2-6-12 7pm

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:25 am

Cougars
54%
Pioneers
46%

Total votes: 13

HShockeywatcher

Hill-Murray (14-6) @ Lakeville South (13-7) 2-6-12 7pm

Post by HShockeywatcher »

All year Hill-Murray has been higher on the human polls than Lakeville South, while the Cougars have been higher on the computer rankings all year than the Pioneers. One of these teams will get their first win against a top team tomorrow.
almostashappy

Re: Hill-Murray (14-6) @ Lakeville South (13-7) 2-6-12 7pm

Post by almostashappy »

HShockeywatcher wrote:All year Hill-Murray has been higher on the human polls than Lakeville South, while the Cougars have been higher on the computer rankings all year than the Pioneers. One of these teams will get their first win against a top team tomorrow.
Week 11 Pick'em tiebreaker: Combined number of minutes that Guentzel and Kloos are on the ice during this game.

Hey HSHW, why didn't you consider LS a "top team" last week, when you were trashing Eagan's schedule?
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

almostashappy wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:All year Hill-Murray has been higher on the human polls than Lakeville South, while the Cougars have been higher on the computer rankings all year than the Pioneers. One of these teams will get their first win against a top team tomorrow.
Week 11 Pick'em tiebreaker: Combined number of minutes that Guentzel and Kloos are on the ice during this game.

Hey HSHW, why didn't you consider LS a "top team" last week, when you were trashing Eagan's schedule?
When have I trashed Eagan's schedule? I was their biggest supporter last season when they dominated Eden Prairie and everyone dismissed it and I have been this season as they have played a consistently good season. They do have a weak schedule relative to all of the top teams in the rankings. #23 according to PageStat, which I might add is the system that has them at #3. The argument for a supporter to make isn't that their schedule isn't weak (because it is), it is that despite a weak schedule they have allowed more than 2 goals 3 times this season, and to only two teams. No only team in the MSHSL can make that claim.

That being said, they have played three top 10 teams, lost to two of them. It's not something I'm making up; it's their schedule. I've never understood the logic in saying that someone ranking a team a whole one spot lower than where you want them is trashing them.

But way to try to make a thread about a game Eagan isn't in about them. Both of these teams are top 10-12 teams in the state, depending on who you ask. They have been top teams all season, I have never said otherwise. Lakeville South lost to Eagan by 1 early in the season; there's a reason PageStat has them at #6 and Hill at #9.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

HShockeywatcher wrote: But way to try to make a thread about a game Eagan isn't in about them. Both of these teams are top 10-12 teams in the state, depending on who you ask. They have been top teams all season, I have never said otherwise. Lakeville South lost to Eagan by 1 early in the season; there's a reason PageStat has them at #6 and Hill at #9.
Hey HSHW, my other responses to your posts in other threads are about Eagan...this one just might seem that way to you. :D

Now, to show you my devotion to staying on-topic...these teams are two peas on the same pond. Up and down seasons, success seems dependent on opponent's ability to tie-up their 1 or 2 studs. Both should get to State, so long as they beat their local blood-rival/nemesis. Both teams have benefited greatly from the mid-season rule changes that have dramatically increased the amount of special teams play, kept their snipers on the ice, and allowed them to keep their relatively weak 3rd and 4th lines on the bench. As long as the refs are willing to call major after major after major...and give the benefit of the doubt to players who at times seem to draw inspiration from the Italian national soccer team...they are a threat to even the best teams in the state.

Tight game, but better coaching overcomes home ice. I like H-M.
longdistancespectator8

Post by longdistancespectator8 »

Excited about the Guentzel- Kloos matchup. Two good friends from elite league, who get as much or more ice time than anyone in the state
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I saw both these teams throttle WBL, score wise. LS seemed to control 90% of the play, where as HM dominated the first 10 minutes, and then it was an even battle after that. But, both of those games were early in the season.

I think LS forecheck will bottle up the Pio's defense, and create more opportunites for the Cougars.

LS 5 - 4
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Should be a solid game. Guentzel and Kloos are incredible talents (think Guentzel and Jake Bischoff are early Mr. Hockey favs next yr, if they stick around), both teams have 1 line that can go, with a significant dropoff after that. I think better coaching prevails tonight though and I'll go with Hill 6-4.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Score is 1-1 after one period. Pioneers are short two defensemen due to flu and have shifted Sampair back to defense.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

hockeyfan893 wrote:Pioneers are short two defensemen due to flu and have shifted Sampair back to defense.
That's a good thing. :lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
eazy98

Post by eazy98 »

1-1 after 1, shots are 9-8 south

Hill scored first, Lavalle from Becker and Guentzel. South found Lauderdale coming out of the box on a breakaway for their goal.

Both teams have had good chances. South has fanned on a few shots and missed some passes that could have been great opportunities.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

[quote="PuckU126"] [quote="hockeyfan893"]Pioneers are short two defensemen due to flu and have shifted Sampair back to defense. [/quote]

8) [/quote]

Especially because Hill's defense is exceptionally deep this year. :wink:
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

4-2 Hill Murray, end of the second period.
eazy98

Post by eazy98 »

4-2 Hill after 2

3 nice goals by Hill.

South also scored a nice ppg goal on an end to end rush.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

hockeyfan893 wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
hockeyfan893 wrote:Pioneers are short two defensemen due to flu and have shifted Sampair back to defense.

8)
Especially because Hill's defense is exceptionally deep this year. :wink:
This is the first season in a while HM doesn't have a solid defensive core.

8)
The Puck
LGW
UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow »

Final score? How many points did Guentzel and Kloos each have? Also, who was in goal for Hill?
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Hill-Murray 5-3 final score.

Nice game for Hill considering they were short two defenseman and had to move one of their better forwards back to cover.
eazy98

Post by eazy98 »

Kloos had 2 points, both assists. The first he dug the puck out of the corner in the defensive zone which sprung a break. On the second assist 3 Hill guys were chasing him around the net and he hit Harvey with a great pass who rifled it in.

I think Guentzel had 3 points, 1 goal and 2 assists.

Dugas was in goal for Hill.

The last half of the 3rd period was all Hill.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Except for the part when south scored to make it 4-3 with about six minutes to go. Really a pretty even game, one to many bad turnovers by south and the Hill goalie out played souths. Shots ended just about even for the game. Kloos looks absolutely exhausted, the kid was sucking wind half way through the game. 50 games in to this season and it appears he's running on fumes, good thing he's being played 30 minutes a game.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

keepyourheadup wrote:Except for the part when south scored to make it 4-3 with about six minutes to go. Really a pretty even game, one to many bad turnovers by south and the Hill goalie out played souths. Shots ended just about even for the game. Kloos looks absolutely exhausted, the kid was sucking wind half way through the game. 50 games in to this season and it appears he's running on fumes, good thing he's being played 30 minutes a game.

And this is nearly identical to what I said 2 months ago and everyone got all over me. Kloos is wearing down and u can't skate a kid 30 mins a game (regardless of how good he is) and not expect him to get injured or get worn down. This is why I feel North has a shot at beating them in sections. Norths new coaching staff is MUCH improved (and light yrs ahead of south), and although they don't have the talent south has, they play better as a team and seem to have souths number come playoff time. South better find someone to put points on the board other than kloos quick.
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

Sats- Do you mean the 10-11 North team that just got destroyed by Burnsville on Saturday 8-1? Your right, huge upgrade in coaching staff.. they really turned that program around!
PantherPride

Post by PantherPride »

Sats81 wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:Except for the part when south scored to make it 4-3 with about six minutes to go. Really a pretty even game, one to many bad turnovers by south and the Hill goalie out played souths. Shots ended just about even for the game. Kloos looks absolutely exhausted, the kid was sucking wind half way through the game. 50 games in to this season and it appears he's running on fumes, good thing he's being played 30 minutes a game.

And this is nearly identical to what I said 2 months ago and everyone got all over me. Kloos is wearing down and u can't skate a kid 30 mins a game (regardless of how good he is) and not expect him to get injured or get worn down. This is why I feel North has a shot at beating them in sections. Norths new coaching staff is MUCH improved (and light yrs ahead of south), and although they don't have the talent south has, they play better as a team and seem to have souths number come playoff time. South better find someone to put points on the board other than kloos quick.
Saw the game first hand tonight, and have seen many South games over the years.

First Post and a Long Time South Follower....Know all the kids well.
(Great Group of Kids)

It has been this way for years with these group of kids....Only 2 kids run the show (Kloos & Freemark)..Concentrate on them,

Just put out your best line when Kloos and Freemark are on the bench.
Stop those two and you win.

End of Story.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I guess this means we're lookin' good for the Mariucci portion of the bracket.

:wink:
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

Agreed…Physically impossible to keep up any productive play and very unhealthy for Kloos. :!:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Have to disagree about Kloos minutes. We are talking about a 25 game schedule that is not real physical and absoulely no travel. Can't believe that would wear him down.
longdistancespectator8

Post by longdistancespectator8 »

Mule,

This isn't the prototypical players 25 game schedule. Kloos plays what is close to 30 minutes a game against good teams, and the other teams game plan is simply to shut him down. In games against teams like Eagan there goal is simply to be all over him and be as physical as possible. Its been that way since he was a sophomore, and even before then in youth hockey. Kloos takes a beating. Part from trying to do so much when he is tired, and also from all the attention. With as much ice time as he gets against good teams and the recent two week stretch against Eagan, Burnsville, Hill, and Eden Prairie its no wonder he looks gassed. He is probably experiencing a large amount of fatigue. If I were the coach of LS I would play him as little as possible these last 4 games, then even less in the first 2 section games. I would try to save him for that section final where he will be needed most.