Elite League Tryouts Next Weekend

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

F14

Elite League Tryouts Next Weekend

Post by F14 »

Goalie Tryouts Begin on Friday the 13th at New Hope
- 16 to start - List includes 12 from MN and four from ND.

Games are on Saturday the 14th at New Hope.

There will be 6 teams with 18 skaters and 2 goalies. I might be mistaken but I believe the players all get 3 games on Saturday to showcase their games.

They are starting with 16 goalies and will cut four on Friday.

Obviously, with all of the guaranteed spots, I would assume roughtly 1/3 of the players will make it out of the tryouts to a spot.

Thoughts and Comments anyone?
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

F14, you must have inside information, as nothing public or published on tryouts. Think the mob has taken over operations... lol. :lol: :lol:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I would say it is a great money maker!
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

mulefarm wrote:I would say it is a great money maker!
You are correct. It is a revenue generator. These are exact numbers from 2010

Revenues
Players Fees $ 70,379.00
Try-Out Fees 11,840.00
Season Passes 9,400.00
Scout Fees 2,795.00
Gate Receipts 19,204.00
NIT Players Fees 3,725.00
Adverting NIT 950.00
Exposure Weekend 16,029.00
Apparell Sales 4,331.00
Sponsors 40,750.00
Total Revenues 179,410.00
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Did you leave out expenses?
kniven

Re: Elite League Tryouts Next Weekend

Post by kniven »

Elite League tryout information
07/10/2012, 9:48am (CDT)
By UMHSEL
Tryout schedules, rosters to be available online July 12
Schedules and rosters for the Upper Midwest High School Elite League tryouts will be posted online Thursday evening, July 12.

Tryouts will begin at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, July 14, at New Hope Arena in New Hope. The tryouts will run through 7:30 p.m.

Final player selections for Elite League teams will be posted July 20.

www.mnhockeyhub.com of course.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

Tigers33 wrote:Did you leave out expenses?
of course...it looks more evil that way :twisted:
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

black sheep wrote:
Tigers33 wrote:Did you leave out expenses?
of course...it looks more evil that way :twisted:
I left out expenses as to not embarrass anyone and because they spend more than they take in by a wide margin...it would have been much more evil that way. :roll: :roll:
ripping1

Post by ripping1 »

mulefarm wrote:

Then how is it such a great money maker. It appears to me it is just a form of generating revenue to cover expenses not line anyones pockets.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

ripping1 wrote:mulefarm wrote:

Then how is it such a great money maker. It appears to me it is just a form of generating revenue to cover expenses not line anyones pockets.
I think his point is that it is a significant contributor to a league that is miss-managed from a fiscal perspective and without it the league would be in worse trouble. A situation like that usually lends itself to the event losing its original purpose. i.e. its not in place to scout kids but merely to generate revenue.
zyzxx

Re: Elite League Tryouts Next Weekend

Post by zyzxx »

F14 wrote:Goalie Tryouts Begin on Friday the 13th at New Hope
- 16 to start - List includes 12 from MN and four from ND.

Games are on Saturday the 14th at New Hope.

There will be 6 teams with 18 skaters and 2 goalies. I might be mistaken but I believe the players all get 3 games on Saturday to showcase their games.

They are starting with 16 goalies and will cut four on Friday.

Obviously, with all of the guaranteed spots, I would assume roughtly 1/3 of the players will make it out of the tryouts to a spot.

Thoughts and Comments anyone?
What is the reason that goalies are not listed on the tryout rosters that were posted yesterday?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Also, is there somewhere where we can see the list of players who were given automatic berths? I know those who played last year are in, but there are a bunch of others who also don't have to try out...
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Where are the goalies?

I assume the league will take the same idiotic approach of rotating goalies and thereby carrying fewer of them across all rosters.

Also, what about these "automatic berths"? For real? How many?
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Shinbone_News wrote:Where are the goalies?

I assume the league will take the same idiotic approach of rotating goalies and thereby carrying fewer of them across all rosters.

I heard they are going back to 2 per team
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
observer

Post by observer »

The process is not a good one. Automatic berths are given to players involved in the USA Hockey national camps but then the big school lobby takes over. Where a player attends school should have nothing to do with it. Benilde had 9 players I believe. Eden Prairie had several including some that had scored like 10 points in the previous season. More similar stories at the expense of more deserving, and capable, players. The league should be for seniors with a few top juniors. It shouldn’t have any players that haven’t already played varsity hockey at a high level. Sophomores should play Elite D. That was the original stated vision after the two leagues decided to partner. But then exceptions flourished. Last year there were players that had never even suited up for a high school game and had never played a game in Elite D which totally took away any credibility the League had. It has gotten worse each of the last few years.

I’ll suggest junior and senior national camp participants even though that process is suspect too. Returners and players that must have played a year in the Elite D League. Then top seniors, through a tryout, that could use exposure to continue their hockey after high school.
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

So you are saying players like Gersich, Malmquist, Walker (and others), who will be sophomores this year, should play Elite D and not Elite? That makes no sense. Personally I think the best should have the opportunity to try out for Elite regardless of their grade.
zyzxx

Post by zyzxx »

pioneers wrote:
Shinbone_News wrote:Where are the goalies?

I heard they are going back to 2 per team
The process looses credibility when things are kept secret. No goalies on the tryout roster? Is there something/someone to hide?
auld_skool

Post by auld_skool »

observer wrote:The process is not a good one. Automatic berths are given to players involved in the USA Hockey national camps but then the big school lobby takes over.
Observer, you're right on the money. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. It gets worse from there. The last thing you said was this: " top seniors, through a tryout, that could use exposure to continue their hockey after high school."

Most of what the league tells parents and players is just not true. On a lot of teams the kids that already had commitments got more playing time, and kids that needed help were discriminated against. Also, a lot of the rules are bent for certain kids and rigidly enforced for others, even on the same team.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

hockey4ever wrote:So you are saying players like Gersich, Malmquist, Walker (and others), who will be sophomores this year, should play Elite D and not Elite? That makes no sense. Personally I think the best should have the opportunity to try out for Elite regardless of their grade.
I agree. If the main goal of the Elite league is to cut down on the number of kids that leave Mn high school programs to play Juniors or at Ann Arbor, then you've got to focus on those kids who are at highest risk to bolt. And at least some of those kids are underclassmen.

There is supposed to be a new league this fall for Seniors that don't make an Elite team. This could be a good thing, so long as the players view it as an opportunity to prepare for their winter varsity season, rather than as a Jr. Gold-ish consolation prize.
Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya »

auld_skool wrote:
observer wrote:The process is not a good one. Automatic berths are given to players involved in the USA Hockey national camps but then the big school lobby takes over.
Observer, you're right on the money. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. It gets worse from there. The last thing you said was this: " top seniors, through a tryout, that could use exposure to continue their hockey after high school."

Most of what the league tells parents and players is just not true. On a lot of teams the kids that already had commitments got more playing time, and kids that needed help were discriminated against. Also, a lot of the rules are bent for certain kids and rigidly enforced for others, even on the same team.
Unfortuntely, there are players out there that don't even participate in these programs due to the process of the tryouts. Don't understand why some players have been given the "waiver" to not tryout and still make a team. Friend of a Friend's son plays H.S. hockey going into his Junior year and plays in the NW Suburban Conference should be playing in this Elite league, but encompassed a bad experience during the 15's process. Obviously, his exposure would have been highlighted playing in the Fall league, but now has been dissipated and probably will not play hockey after H.S.
observer

Post by observer »

So you are saying players like Gersich, Malmquist, Walker (and others), who will be sophomores this year, should play Elite D and not Elite?
That's interesting and they are very good players. Sophomores play Elite D which is going to be better for their development anyways. Sophomores aren't going to suffer in Elite D.

Nick Seeler, Ryan Bullock, Conor Andrle, Jared Thomas, Grant Opperman, Jay Dickman and several other excellent players, some drafted in the NHL, played Elite D first.

And, the League is to give seniors exposure. They let these younger players in and they end up leaving anyways as they don't need the exposure. Did the League keep players around as it was designed to do? No. Besse will be Mr. Hockey, who else is still around. The players you mentioned will likely leave anyways.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Two dumb questions:

1) Who gets to try out? What exactly is the process to get to try out stage?

2) Why does STA have SEVEN kids in tryouts? WHAT??? Is this league run by the Vanellis or something?
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

Nobodyonya wrote:
auld_skool wrote:

Unfortuntely, there are players out there that don't even participate in these programs due to the process of the tryouts. Don't understand why some players have been given the "waiver" to not tryout and still make a team. Friend of a Friend's son plays H.S. hockey going into his Junior year and plays in the NW Suburban Conference should be playing in this Elite league, but encompassed a bad experience during the 15's process. Obviously, his exposure would have been highlighted playing in the Fall league, but now has been dissipated and probably will not play hockey after H.S.
With so many of the top seniors ditching MN high school hockey this year, my recommendation would be for the better seniors to play Minnesota Blades 18U rather than elite league.

My son played it last year and the competition was great (Team WI, Chicago Fury, Chicago Young Americans, Madison Capitals, Colorado Thunderbirds, etc.) and the travel was not much different than an elite league schedule - out of town weekend in Wausau and Chicago. Plus provided some flexibility for those who played fall sports.

Many off of that roster have already committed to NAHL teams for the upcoming season. The Elite League isn't the product that it used to be five years ago and seems to have lost its mission - providing opportunities to seniors to play and stay in MN High School Hockey.
Wasilla

Post by Wasilla »

observer wrote:The process is not a good one...Where a player attends school should have nothing to do with it. Benilde had 9 players I believe. Eden Prairie had several including some that had scored like 10 points in the previous season. More similar stories at the expense of more deserving, and capable, players.
btw...who is this skater on the elite tryout roster, listed as an Eden Prairie incoming junior? I looked up the past two years Eden Prairie HS rosters and dont see his name? Has Eden Prairie already had tryouts :lol: ?

COLTON SCHMIDT F EDEN PRAIRIE 11 ???
observer

Post by observer »

Tryout rosters.

http://www.hselitehockey.com/page/show/ ... ab=content

Remember, returners and guaranteed spots aren't listed. That means sophomores have guaranteed spots which is crazy. That is the whole purpose of the Elite D League. Very few of these players will be selected deserving as they may be.