Coaching staffs. Who are the best?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

nortstar52

Post by nortstar52 »

Northhcky wrote:
EHSHack wrote:
2good4u wrote:hmmm how about the guy with over 400 wins that resides in hermantown... just saying its an impressive feat and what the staff and him do to turn those players around from the quality from bantams to high school is very impressive
Yeah he is tops 2 undefeated regular seasons in the last 4 IIRC years? I was gonna mention him but too lazy to google how to spell Laraoque.
Who is Laraoque? I'm thinking the coach he was referring to is Bruce Plante the longtime coach of Hermantown. He now has 2 undefeated seasons, in 07 and now in 12. He has had his teams to "i believe" to 8 state appearances, 1 State Championship, 4 seconds, and a third place finish since 1998. And he has been named the HS coach of the year numerous times. All from a small town school with no open enrollment and a school that has NEVER lost a player to one of the privates or Duluth East!!
Laraoque would be coach from GR. But he wouldn't fall under this subject, He would fall under the opposite subject. 8)
auld_skool

Post by auld_skool »

Really hard to argue with Lechner. Always has them ready to play. And not afraid of discipline either.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

nortstar52 wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
EHSHack wrote: Yeah he is tops 2 undefeated regular seasons in the last 4 IIRC years? I was gonna mention him but too lazy to google how to spell Laraoque.
Who is Laraoque? I'm thinking the coach he was referring to is Bruce Plante the longtime coach of Hermantown. He now has 2 undefeated seasons, in 07 and now in 12. He has had his teams to "i believe" to 8 state appearances, 1 State Championship, 4 seconds, and a third place finish since 1998. And he has been named the HS coach of the year numerous times. All from a small town school with no open enrollment and a school that has NEVER lost a player to one of the privates or Duluth East!!
Laraoque would be coach from GR. But he wouldn't fall under this subject, He would fall under the opposite subject. 8)
:shock: :shock: :shock:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

nortstar52 wrote:
Northhcky wrote:
EHSHack wrote: Yeah he is tops 2 undefeated regular seasons in the last 4 IIRC years? I was gonna mention him but too lazy to google how to spell Laraoque.
I would beg to differ, with the limited talent and lack of depth, I would say he has done a very good job!
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Northhcky wrote:
EHSHack wrote:
2good4u wrote:hmmm how about the guy with over 400 wins that resides in hermantown... just saying its an impressive feat and what the staff and him do to turn those players around from the quality from bantams to high school is very impressive
Yeah he is tops 2 undefeated regular seasons in the last 4 IIRC years? I was gonna mention him but too lazy to google how to spell Laraoque.
SOB yes I meant Plante. I was thinking of Plante I always get those two names mixed up.
Go Hounds.
nortstar52

Post by nortstar52 »

mulefarm wrote:
nortstar52 wrote:
Northhcky wrote: Who is Laraoque? I'm thinking the coach he was referring to is Bruce Plante the longtime coach of Hermantown. He now has 2 undefeated seasons, in 07 and now in 12. He has had his teams to "i believe" to 8 state appearances, 1 State Championship, 4 seconds, and a third place finish since 1998. And he has been named the HS coach of the year numerous times. All from a small town school with no open enrollment and a school that has NEVER lost a player to one of the privates or Duluth East!!
I would beg to differ, with the limited talent and lack of depth, I would say he has done a very good job!
Beg all you want, GR had a pile of talent in the elite and elite D leagues and have been mediocre most of the year. hopefully the boys just play like they can, cause they can give DE a run if they make it that far. doubt he'll be there next year, if so look for no talent left sticking around :shock: good luck GR, like to kick back on the couch & see ya on the big screen.
northwoods oldtimer

mulefarm wrote:
nortstar52 wrote:
Northhcky wrote: Who is Laraoque? I'm thinking the coach he was referring to is Bruce Plante the longtime coach of Hermantown. He now has 2 undefeated seasons, in 07 and now in 12. He has had his teams to "i believe" to 8 state appearances, 1 State Championship, 4 seconds, and a third place finish since 1998. And he has been named the HS coach of the year numerous times. All from a small town school with no open enrollment and a school that has NEVER lost a player to one of the privates or Duluth East!!
isee

Coach of the Year, Two years in a row.

Post by isee »

This is why this Coach should be Coach of the Year for 2011-2012. Check out the first paragraph, this is one of the best team motivators and confidence builders EVER...

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... _id=327964
MNHockeyFan

Re: Coach of the Year, Two years in a row.

Post by MNHockeyFan »

isee wrote:This is why this Coach should be Coach of the Year for 2011-2012. Check out the first paragraph, this is one of the best team motivators and confidence builders EVER...

Motivator maybe, but I don't see how calling your team "thin" beyond your first line is going to boost their confidence. To do that he could have described them as 'inexperienced' at the start of the season but, thanks to all the hard work they put in, how much better they are playing now.
isee

Post by isee »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
isee wrote:This is why this Coach should be Coach of the Year for 2011-2012. Check out the first paragraph, this is one of the best team motivators and confidence builders EVER...

Motivator maybe, but I don't see how calling your team "thin" beyond your first line is going to boost their confidence. To do that he could have described them as 'inexperienced' at the start of the season but, thanks to all the hard work they put in, how much better they are playing now.
i was being sarcastic, he might as well be saying "other than the first line, I have no confidence in the team"
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

isee wrote:i was being sarcastic, he might as well be saying "other than the first line, I have no confidence in the team"
Gotcha, I would have known this if you would have added a :roll: !!!
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

Have to put Pauley and his staff toward the top of the list, don't you?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

curtiscurve wrote:Have to put Pauley and his staff toward the top of the list, don't you?
Recruiting, yes. Coaching, NO.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Sats81 wrote:
curtiscurve wrote:Have to put Pauley and his staff toward the top of the list, don't you?
Recruiting, yes. Coaching, NO.
Right on!
observer

Post by observer »

Have to put Pauley and his staff toward the top of the list, don't you?
Since you asked.... No

The team has been disorganized in style of play, they've underperformed, the coach berates refs shrinking his reputation, and the team is un-disciplined.
12to14

Post by 12to14 »

Pauly!
northwoods oldtimer

12to14 wrote:Pauly!
A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Think son, think!
:shock:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Coaching at a private school is so much easier. Both Lechner and Pauly were public school coaches and made their mark at private schools. You never hear posts on running private coaches out of town. Mainly because there is no town or youth association. This year people went after Giles for cutting seniors, does BSM,HM and STA cut seniors? Probably but you never hear an uproar. A community expects their coach to be invoved in the association, a private school coach doesn't have that commintment or expections.
northwoods oldtimer

mulefarm wrote:Coaching at a private school is so much easier. Both Lechner and Pauly were public school coaches and made their mark at private schools. You never hear posts on running private coaches out of town. Mainly because there is no town or youth association. This year people went after Giles for cutting seniors, does BSM,HM and STA cut seniors? Probably but you never hear an uproar. A community expects their coach to be invoved in the association, a private school coach doesn't have that commintment or expections.
What do those boys do with all the free time? Golf? :wink: :lol:
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

mulefarm wrote:Gotta go with the Tonka staff. Seems they have decent youth teams and then become top 5 hs team year in and year out!
I'd have to respectfully disagree. In terms of bringing in a lot of talent -- yes. Urick as a gameday coach I see many others outcoaching him.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Coaching at a private school is so much easier. Both Lechner and Pauly were public school coaches and made their mark at private schools. You never hear posts on running private coaches out of town. Mainly because there is no town or youth association. This year people went after Giles for cutting seniors, does BSM,HM and STA cut seniors? Probably but you never hear an uproar. A community expects their coach to be invoved in the association, a private school coach doesn't have that commintment or expections.
What do those boys do with all the free time? Golf? :wink: :lol:
Go to the select 15 and 16 and get players for the coming years!
SouthSuburban

Post by SouthSuburban »

Lechner needs to be in the conversation as a top three to five coach in Minnesota after Ikola and Saterdalen. After playing his teams in high school, watching him at work molding the talent (regardless of how it comes through the door), and have them peaking at the best time EVERY year, he and his staff deserve an awful lot of credit.

The top five coaches in Minnesota right now are Lechner, Plante, Brodt (girls), Kivihalme, and Randolph (regardless of how handles himself off the ice). Honorable mention to Urick and Johnson at Tonka, Giles and Slominski at Edina and Morinville.

When talking about coaches, a lot of it comes down to how good the staff is in general. From personal experience, these ladies and gentleman are the best at what they do, have success and know how to motivate their players while having high expectations every season.
South Suburban Conference
stmartin123

Post by stmartin123 »

Pauly and Lechner! hands down...
Don't hate STA. I wouldn't want to lose either.
stmartin123

Post by stmartin123 »

Really? you don't have any idea what a private school coach is doing So just keep your mouth shut about anything having to do with private schools. You don't know anything about them. Flat out...
stmartin123

Post by stmartin123 »

stmartin123 wrote:
Really? you don't have any idea what a private school coach is doing So just keep your mouth shut about anything having to do with private schools. You don't know anything about them. Flat out...
I know Pauly is a huge advocate of keeping seniors so don't talk as if you know what Pauly is thinking. Be quiet, because you don't know squat!