Transfers

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Lonegoose wrote:I believe it's healthy to debate the issue of transfers of our high school athletes. However to single out any one athlete and to do so with incorrect information is reckless and cowardly.

Knowing the family that the author references personally I can assure you all the following:

1. The student athlete based his decision to transfer to Edina for several reasons the least of which was to "win".

2. The athlete and family did move to their Edina residence as required by the rules.

Until such time that transferprobs produces proof (which he won't be able to) of his so called knowledge of the athlete not moving he is nothing more than a lying,ignorant and most likely non athlete bitter little man.

Former Edina Varsity Hockey Alumni
Classy. Bad ending to a pretty good point.

Former? Did they strip you of your Alumni status or did you give it up?

Just Checking

toivo22

Post by toivo22 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:23 pm

karl(east) wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:Are there any instances of the MSHSL actually penalizing a player for violating the transfer rules? Or did they create these rules without the will and/or means to properly enforce them? And as citizens do we want quasi-governmental officials running around trying to determine where people are living?
In 04-05, the East AD incorrectly allowed two ineligible players to play at the start of the season. The MSHSL caught them and forced East to forfeit the seven games they had played to that date (some of which they had lost anyways). This was when the transfer rule only forced players to miss half a season, so the players sat out the rest of the half-season and were eligible to play after that.

So yes, it has been and can be enforced, though it doesn't happen often.
East almost got in trouble in 98 when Reese Carlson came back from juniors after the 15 day rule. That was the year they were 26-Corbett and state champs

Hoc2x21

Nonathlete Bitter Little Man

Post by Hoc2x21 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:40 am

Transferprobe I am deeply disturbed that Mr. Lonegoose would bring you all the way down to his level by describing you as a "nonathlete bitter little man".
Please please hold your head high as Mr. Lonegoose is out on his own little island living the life of "nonathlete bitter little man". \:D/ \:D/

royals03

Post by royals03 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Having jurisdiction over what happens with in the state I guess I am fine with it is out of the state that bothers me. For instance a kid leaves to go play at let say russel stover or honey baked, it doesnt work out so he comes back to MN. Problem is they have to sit out. IMO if a kid leaves the state he is not influencing the outcome of other schools by the transfer, now if they come back just make them go back to their school they originally left don't make them sit out. I see nothing wrong with a kid trying something out, but to leave them high and dry if it does not work out is just wrong.
Wasn't there a time when kids could go play jr's come back for the hs season and then go back to jr's without any penalty?

DanFromWoodbury

Post by DanFromWoodbury » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:27 pm

So did this kid Connor Hurley transfer from Eagan or Holy Angels? Because this would not be the year to leave a strong Eagan team just to join a young Edina team that has far exceeded its preseason expectations.

blueblood

edina player

Post by blueblood » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:11 pm

He was at AHA last season (9th grade) to play with his brother who is now at Wisconsin

Prior to that he was at Shattuck (8th grade)

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Actually Cullen plays junior hockey. He is not at Wisconsin, that is Labate.

There are other reasons why Conner played at Shattuck and besides, it is nobody's business but his and his parents. Let it go....

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:50 pm

hurleys a snipe and thats all that matters
The best, period

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm

thanks Z, my bad...

I agree with you on the shattuck comment and I meant no disrespect or judgement.

hell, if my kid was aksed to play there, it would be hard to say no to a program that has produced great talent like crosby, stepan, toews, parise and too many more to name

Bobby C

Transfers

Post by Bobby C » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 am

Seperate from identifying specific kids, this string really seems to have struck a nerve. Three pages with postings from different areas of the state and several programs mentioned.

It would be interesting to know which programs have the most transfer students, whether "legal" or not, playing hockey for them. For sake of argument, lets define "transfer students" at public schools as kids that did not play in their youth program. And at private schools as kids that did not attend there in 9th grade. Which programs have the most transfer students playing hockey?

Here is my initial count, based on comments in this thread and other sources:

Burnsville: 1
Duluth East: 2
Edina: 1
Eagan: 3
Morehead: 1

No promises about accuracy, so please feel free to add, edit, or comment!

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Tonka - Thie from Hopkins. I believe the 2010 team had 0 transfers and they typically have very few if any.

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Edina has 3 for sure. Not mentioning names to keep the alleged anonymous, less conspicuous :shock:

STA with 1 on JV this year after playing 9th at AHA. We shall now refer to him on this string as "The Rule Follower". Gotta wonder why his parents did not hire a lawyer :lol:

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Just Checking wrote:Edina has 3 for sure. Not mentioning names to keep the alleged anonymous, less conspicuous :shock:

STA with 1 on JV this year after playing 9th at AHA. We shall now refer to him on this string as "The Rule Follower". Gotta wonder why his parents did not hire a lawyer :lol:
HAHAHAHAHAHAAaAaa!!!

transferprobs

Post by transferprobs » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Edina has fidler munson and hurley for sure fidler and munson did move into edina though

Zoogy92

Post by Zoogy92 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:47 pm

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:hurleys a snipe and thats all that matters
That was relevant, nice job.

oldshad77

Post by oldshad77 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

transferprobs wrote:Edina has fidler munson and hurley for sure fidler and munson did move into edina though
Didn't Fidler and Munson both play Bantam A for Edina last year?

Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Transfers ruin the game!!

Jim Schulter

Post by Jim Schulter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 am

From the original post of transferprobs asking what people thought of transfers to his next input on Edina's fieldler,munson and hurley one doesn't need to peel the onion to deep to conclude transferprob has another agenda other then the general question and discussion on transfers.
"MrLonegoose" called him out to basically put up or shut up in regards to any specific student/athlete.

I have to agree with "Mrlonegooses" raw description of transferprobs on this one.

As far as transfers go, if you don't like the rules as they exist spend your time on changing them other then picking on young boys.

Keep your stick on the Ice :wink:

JS

gardetto

Post by gardetto » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 am

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:Transfers ruin the game!!
And just how does it ruin the game in your eyes?

Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:09 pm

gardetto wrote:
Because teams like Armstrong would still have great crosstown rivalries like they did in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I just think it's sad that this happens and I happen to think private schools are a waste of money and ruin public school hockey programs. :(

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:
gardetto wrote:
Because teams like Armstrong would still have great crosstown rivalries like they did in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I just think it's sad that this happens and I happen to think private schools are a waste of money and ruin public school hockey programs. :(
private schools are a waste of money huh?
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

gardetto

Post by gardetto » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 pm

sachishi4 wrote:
Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:
gardetto wrote:
private schools are a waste of money huh?
1905—St. Paul Academy fields their first hockey team-believed to be the oldest in the state of Minnesota

well since it was a private school that started high school hockey i have to say BS.
How are privates a waste of money???? Do you know anything about private schools other then you have to pay for them? Have you ever went to one of the private AA schools to seek information about them and what the pro's and con's are? if you have great if not then do not say they are a waste of money if you have Zero info on them. EVEN public schools have kids that transfer in just take a look at Jefferson, How many kids transfer in from Kennedy? The list goes on and on.

Tornadoes 2003StateChamps

Re: Moorheads Terry Leabo

Post by Tornadoes 2003StateChamps » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Maple Grove's got a high profile player who sleeps/eats every night in Dayton/Rogers area but lives "on paper" with a relative in the Maple Grove school district.

Coon Rapids had a few jump ship to join the Aus's Titanic; aka: Blaine Bangels, and we all know what happened to that ship; it sunk just like Blaine did against Maple Grove.
Hoc2x21 wrote:The SPUDS Leabo is a prime example of circumventing the transfer rules. He is from Fargo where his parents live and his older sister has an apartment in Moorhead. She was given custodial rights to him and he is legally a Moorhead resident and has been fully eligible for I believe the past 2 years. The above info came from a Fargo Forum arcticle last year. Unnamed (per Fargo Forum arcticle) Moorhead individuals hired an attourney to investigate the eligibility. :wink:

the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Tornadoes 2003StateChamps wrote:Maple Grove's got a high profile player who sleeps/eats every night in Dayton/Rogers area but lives "on paper" with a relative in the Maple Grove school district.

Coon Rapids had a few jump ship to join the Aus's Titanic; aka: Blaine Bangels, and we all know what happened to that ship; it sunk just like Blaine did against Maple Grove.
Hoc2x21 wrote:The SPUDS Leabo is a prime example of circumventing the transfer rules. He is from Fargo where his parents live and his older sister has an apartment in Moorhead. She was given custodial rights to him and he is legally a Moorhead resident and has been fully eligible for I believe the past 2 years. The above info came from a Fargo Forum arcticle last year. Unnamed (per Fargo Forum arcticle) Moorhead individuals hired an attourney to investigate the eligibility. :wink:
I think the count is 4 to Blaine, 3-4 to Spring Lake Park, 2 to Totino

blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Tornadoes 2003StateChamps wrote:Maple Grove's got a high profile player who sleeps/eats every night in Dayton/Rogers area but lives "on paper" with a relative in the Maple Grove school district.

Ohhhh...so that's why Aus's ship sank