Now is the time to force all Privates up to "AA"

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter »

After seeing some of these section final games

Eagan over Hastings
LS over LN
Maple Grove over Blaine

It is the time for the MSHSL to really pull their heads out and force the privates up to AA.

Makes A LOT more even playing field for Single A. Change this "Small school" thing to "small town"

Moving Lourdes and/or STA to 1AA, Breck/Blake to 2AA, Totino and/or STA to 4AA would be a great start.

Much more competitive sections
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Comes up every year, nothing is going to happen.
Master Recruiter

mulefarm wrote:Comes up every year, nothing is going to happen.
what more proof do they need after this year?
brandy38

Post by brandy38 »

Let's assume the MSHSL does exactly what you propose and then the AA state tournament is composed of a private school majority. People like yourself would be complaining all over again.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

When it comes to hockey, the MHSL has no common sense!
Master Recruiter

brandy38 wrote:Let's assume the MSHSL does exactly what you propose and then the AA state tournament is composed of a private school majority. People like yourself would be complaining all over again.
wrong, the big schools have the youth programs/and ability to compete with the privates year in and year out.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

brandy38 wrote:Let's assume the MSHSL does exactly what you propose and then the AA state tournament is composed of a private school majority. People like yourself would be complaining all over again.
Put them all in one section, then it can't happen.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

mulefarm wrote:
Solve world hunger and end all wars. Oh what? I thought we were all posting random things that will never happen.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Might doesn't make it any more right.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
CRS

Post by CRS »

Forcing all private schools might be pushing it. Trophy chasers like Breck and St. Thomas should move up. Especially when most of the team is loaded with what is considered "AA" talent.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

My concern is the teams like Legacy Christian and Providence Academy. They are killing the hometown teams from whatever city they are from. Move em up!
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Move all the private schools in the metro areas, including Rochester, St Cloud and Duluth to AA.

Cannot put them all in one section that would be segregation and that is not good in the school system.
I also agree that the public schools will still have the edge because of the associations and the bigger ones will still dominate. You would see the playing field evened.
Puck76

Post by Puck76 »

So the thought process goes that if you have a program that is consistently successful they should play AA. All privates fit the bill due to perception that they must be recruiting to be successful. Why are we stopping there? Why not throw Hermantown or Warroad for example up to AA? They seem to be pretty successful, it is not fair that they can get so much out door ice just because they are up north. There will always be something that is not "fair". Every sport has teams that are consistently good because of the culture or tradition of the community.

You already have the sentiment that the "A" tourney is meaningless since no one with any skill plays there (must have all been recruited to AA schools). Seems that what we want is for this to be an even more true sentiment.
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

You sort of need those schools in A to keep the competition high enough to warrant interest.

I do like the idea though of a Section at the A level for the private schools.
Put Blake, Breck, STA, TG and a few others in one conference. Could repeat process a AA level, but it is less necessary there.

As much as that is said, you have many other private schools that are almost always 1 and done come play-off time.
Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 »

mulefarm wrote:
I like that! :)
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

Puck76 wrote:So the thought process goes that if you have a program that is consistently successful they should play AA. All privates fit the bill due to perception that they must be recruiting to be successful. Why are we stopping there? Why not throw Hermantown or Warroad for example up to AA? They seem to be pretty successful, it is not fair that they can get so much out door ice just because they are up north. There will always be something that is not "fair". Every sport has teams that are consistently good because of the culture or tradition of the community.

You already have the sentiment that the "A" tourney is meaningless since no one with any skill plays there (must have all been recruited to AA schools). Seems that what we want is for this to be an even more true sentiment.
Speaking of Hermantown. I was a fan. I thought, "another great small town up north showing how to get it done". That was until I went to a game during a visit up north. I took a wrong turn coming out of the arena, drove a couple of minutes and see a welcome to duluth sign. Caused me to do a little research on the program. Seems that kids flow between those 4 teams in Duluth like crazy. Not such a big fan of POOR little Hermantown anymore.
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

By the way, before someone says how the rules for open enrollment have changed, the new rules just make you be a little more proactive in your move. Still very easy to switch teams. There really is not a solution that can stop a well motivated family from moving their kid.
Tenoverpar

finals

Post by Tenoverpar »

I would like to see the state go into 4 Championship brackets.

Small school North
Small School South
Parochial/Private
Large School

Have 4 "section" champions.

bring those 4 together to the X for the Sota' Four with an ultimate single state champion.
Northern Defender

Post by Northern Defender »

whos_it wrote:
Puck76 wrote:So the thought process goes that if you have a program that is consistently successful they should play AA. All privates fit the bill due to perception that they must be recruiting to be successful. Why are we stopping there? Why not throw Hermantown or Warroad for example up to AA? They seem to be pretty successful, it is not fair that they can get so much out door ice just because they are up north. There will always be something that is not "fair". Every sport has teams that are consistently good because of the culture or tradition of the community.

Speaking of Hermantown. I was a fan. I thought, "another great small town up north showing how to get it done". That was until I went to a game during a visit up north. I took a wrong turn coming out of the arena, drove a couple of minutes and see a welcome to duluth sign. Caused me to do a little research on the program. Seems that kids flow between those 4 teams in Duluth like crazy. Not such a big fan of POOR little Hermantown anymore.
If you did your homework you would have seen all these kids played together in hermantown youth hockey. And good for you, you found a border.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

I propose that when every kid registers for high school hockey, he has a medal draped over his head. Then when tryouts are over and teams have been formed, every coach will be awarded a trophy. This applies to small schools, medium schools, large schools, private schools, charter schools, home schools, alternative school, northern schools, southern schools, metro schools, and beyond. Then when March arrives, those that feel like they can't hang with the more talented programs, can just stay home & "play with their award"! :wink:
Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 »

I'm not going to go deep into this thread. It's boring year after year. But you think private schools win because of "tradition" and "culture"???! Private schools win because they draw from huge populations in huge geographical areas. They have an added advantage in that, generally, they offer an improved academic product which helps entice those with the means to send their kids there. And, while money is not an absolute necessity for success, it sure does help develop players over the long run! There is more "tradition" and "culture" in the proverbial "little fingers" of a Roseau, a St. Paul Johnson, or even a Burnsville, than there is in a Hill Murray and a Benilde combined.
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

drop the puck wrote:You sort of need those schools in A to keep the competition high enough to warrant interest.

I do like the idea though of a Section at the A level for the private schools.
Put Blake, Breck, STA, TG and a few others in one conference. Could repeat process a AA level, but it is less necessary there.

As much as that is said, you have many other private schools that are almost always 1 and done come play-off time.
this is the most sensible idea i have ever heard of when it comes to the private school whiners....i like this...many are one and done, and other programs struggled to make it to state or havent had much success when they get there, but all metro private class A teams should be on ONE SECTION..and to help with other whiners put cathedral and duluth marshall in a section together
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

If our school system isn't good enough for 'em - they can organize their own league & go play with each other.
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

SPUDNUT wrote:If our school system isn't good enough for 'em - they can organize their own league & go play with each other.
thats pretty tough words coming from megaconglomerate one highschool town moorhead (who cant win a state championship game to save their life)
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

northern_guy wrote:
SPUDNUT wrote:If our school system isn't good enough for 'em - they can organize their own league & go play with each other.
thats pretty tough words coming from megaconglomerate one highschool town moorhead (who cant win a state championship game to save their life)
Megaconglomerate?? For your information, according to the MSHSL website, Moorhead's enrollment is 1356, about half of Minnetonka's enrollment. Brainerd's enrollment is 1685. So explain how Moorhead is a "megaconglomerate". :roll: :roll:
50+ years of Spuds Hockey