#1 Duluth East vs Lakeville South 3/8 @ 6PM

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins

Duluth East
61%
Lakeville South
39%

Total votes: 88

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:23 pm

mnmouth wrote:
That surprised me also, though I agree it wasn't the deciding factor.

Also, I was a little skeptical when I saw Randolph switched up the lines in the 3rd--it didn't work three years ago when they got upset by Cretin, and just made things seem more disorganized. They sure were not very organized in this third period, either. But in retrospect, I figure they had to try something, and they had used those line combinations (with great success) earlier in the year. Maybe it was a mistake to go away from them so late in the year? It's hard to say.

Another thing Mike mentioned in the press conference: since the playoffs started, the PP, after firing along at 50% most of the year, did not get it done. I don't think there's a real explanation for that--they still were generating chances and looked very sharp. They just didn't score.
You nailed it. Organization. East was not only unorganized in the 3rd, they were unorganized all night. Again, it was a strange time for it to happen at this point in the season with a team that had so much big-game experience.
True. South actually looked like the team with State Tournament experience for much of that game. And again, I have no idea why.

The other thing which bugged me a bit, going into the tournament, was that they hadn't exactly been putting the opponents' lights out in the 7AA tournament. Big territorial advantages, but only 15 goals in three games? Too much cute play. Tonight, they didn't even have the cute play. They just looked like a mess out there at both ends of the ice.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:33 pm

east hockey wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
That surprised me also, though I agree it wasn't the deciding factor.

Also, I was a little skeptical when I saw Randolph switched up the lines in the 3rd--it didn't work three years ago when they got upset by Cretin, and just made things seem more disorganized. They sure were not very organized in this third period, either. But in retrospect, I figure they had to try something, and they had used those line combinations (with great success) earlier in the year. Maybe it was a mistake to go away from them so late in the year? It's hard to say.

Another thing Mike mentioned in the press conference: since the playoffs started, the PP, after firing along at 50% most of the year, did not get it done. I don't think there's a real explanation for that--they still were generating chances and looked very sharp. They just didn't score.
You nailed it. Organization. East was not only unorganized in the 3rd, they were unorganized all night. Again, it was a strange time for it to happen at this point in the season with a team that had so much big-game experience.
True. South actually looked like the team with State Tournament experience for much of that game. And again, I have no idea why.

The other thing which bugged me a bit, going into the tournament, was that they hadn't exactly been putting the opponents' lights out in the 7AA tournament. Big territorial advantages, but only 15 goals in three games? Too much cute play. Tonight, they didn't even have the cute play. They just looked like a mess out there at both ends of the ice.

Lee
Very true. In a few of the late-season games that were a bit close for comfort (Cloquet, Denfeld, Elk River), I had this sneaking little suspicion that maybe they'd peaked a little bit too early. I tried to tell myself I was being paranoid, and that this group always did a great job of responding to adversity. Alas, not tonight.

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 pm

21Swagger wrote:
Neuuman wrote:
21Swagger wrote:6-2 East.

LS has ZERO chance
Just like USA vs. USSR in 1980? I agree their odds aren't good, but with the highest scoring player in the state, I would give them something higher than a "ZERO" chance. DE goalie could have a bad game, LS goalie could stand on his head, Randolph, Toninato and Olson could have a bad game or get the flu. Again, DE is the favorite, but to say LS has ZERO chance seems aggressively offensive to LS. With that said, would you be willing to bet your entire net worth on the outcome? Didn't think so. IMHO
Yes I would
I'll take a check.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Neuuman wrote:
21Swagger wrote:
Neuuman wrote:

LS has ZERO chance
Just like USA vs. USSR in 1980? I agree their odds aren't good, but with the highest scoring player in the state, I would give them something higher than a "ZERO" chance. DE goalie could have a bad game, LS goalie could stand on his head, Randolph, Toninato and Olson could have a bad game or get the flu. Again, DE is the favorite, but to say LS has ZERO chance seems aggressively offensive to LS. With that said, would you be willing to bet your entire net worth on the outcome? Didn't think so. IMHO
Yes I would
I'll take a check.
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAAAA Nice!!!

CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Neuuman wrote:
21Swagger wrote:
Neuuman wrote:

LS has ZERO chance
Yes I would
I'll take a check.
Good luck collecting on that one. Send Guido after him. :lol:
50+ years of Spuds Hockey

luvuvgame

Post by luvuvgame » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 pm

mnmouth wrote:
east hockey wrote:
mnmouth wrote:This was a perfect confluence for an upset. South played great, East was awful all night. I saw around 15 East games this year and in none of the previous games was their passing as terrible as it was tonight. As a result their trademark forecheck was non-existent, and the speed and quickness they normally display in the offensive zone did not materialize. A very strange, weak effort by the Hounds.
Yep. Yep. And yep.

Of course, the anti-Mike idiots will come oozing out of the woodwork (who were nowhere to be found when they were on that 27-1 roll) and say it's the coaching. :roll:

Lee
Agreed. Although I bet that even Mike would say that he wasn't very good tonight. I would also like him to explain why he broke up the Lundgren-Valesano-Toscano line. I'm not saying that's why they lost - that would be ridiculous, but that line had a lot of chemistry.
I was surprised by tonight's lineup too. I thought Forbort with Davidson & Holappa was a pretty solid 3rd line, it seemed to bring a lot o energy to team in games I've seen. Regardless, Mike knows his team better than any of us so he must have had his reasons. Let's face it, it's not like he went in trying to lose. Hopefully they bounce back tomorrow & finish strong.

Also want to say thank you to that senior class for giving us 3 very entertaining years oh high school hockey!

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Just wondering for all East fans. Is this worse than last year? FWIW I t

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 pm

edgeless2 wrote:Just wondering for all East fans. Is this worse than last year? FWIW I t
Yes.

Last year I don't think they expected to be in the title game in the first place. Last year most of us believed they'd be better this year. And they were. Until tonight.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 pm

edgeless2 wrote:Just wondering for all East fans. Is this worse than last year? FWIW I t
Much, much worse. Last year I didn't expect them to be in the final. They played their hearts out four games in a row and lost on a fluky goal--really the only way that dead-even game could end. There was nowhere to pin the blame; not much wondering what could have been. I couldn't have asked for any more.

This year, it hurts. And it's especially painful knowing the future does not look nearly as bright as it did after last year's loss.

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Just wondering for all East fans. Is this worse than last year? FWIW I thought they were going all the way. Clearly the most talent in the field vs. last year when expectations weren't as high, but the end result was probably more devastating last year. Just because how close they came. Thoughts? Sorry for the double post didn't get to finish thought(not unusual)

demongoed

Post by demongoed » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:50 pm

You can't underestimate the psychological aspect of this game either. LS goes into this game with nothing to lose, and they played that way. As they won the small battles and got great scoring chances, they played better and better. They looked so determined, so unrattled.

On the other hand, Duluth East came in expecting that they had a strong chance to win. Who could blame them. When that wasn't happening, it seems as though they became panicky and disorganized.

RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Neuuman, thats pretty funny!

I think one of the keys for South in this game and going forward is how their 2nd and 3rd line played. Everyone focus' on the Kloos line (as well they should) but the 2nd and 3rd lines played great tonight, got the goal ahead goal in the 3rd and played very nice defensively. I think a lot of people would agree South could of (and probably should of) put up 5-6 on DE tonight. Big win for the Lakeville community, first ever quarterfinal win and I don't think they are done

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:53 pm

edgeless2 wrote:Just wondering for all East fans. Is this worse than last year? FWIW I thought they were going all the way. Clearly the most talent in the field vs. last year when expectations weren't as high, but the end result was probably more devastating last year. Just because how close they came. Thoughts? Sorry for the double post didn't get to finish thought(not unusual)
So far as losses go, last year's wasn't that bad. The worst?

1. 1997 State Final, 0-1 to Edina.

2. 1996 semifinals, loss to Apple Valley

3. Tonight

4. 1976 Section 2 final, loss to Mounds View

5. 2002 7AA finals, 0-1 to Cloquet.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:55 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Much, much worse. Last year I didn't expect them to be in the final. They played their hearts out four games in a row and lost on a fluky goal--really the only way that dead-even game could end. There was nowhere to pin the blame; not much wondering what could have been. I couldn't have asked for any more.

This year, it hurts. And it's especially painful knowing the future does not look nearly as bright as it did after last year's loss.
What a lot of folks south of Cloquet don't understand is that championships for hockey teams, especially on the AA side, do not come around very often for us true fans of Northern hockey. I am not an East grad. In fact, if it were up to me, I would have Rapids claiming the AA crown and Greenway the A every year. But I get behind the best Northern AA team each year in hopes that they can bring a title back to the Northland. And through January, it was plain to me that East had a great shot at doing so. Having to once again wait for that title to come here is very difficult, and it doesn't seem that it's coming this way any time soon.

nahc

Post by nahc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Allstatebender, Superstar, 21Swagger, Orty, pucku126 and Sats81: Thats why they play the game. Duluth East has a very good team but TONIGHT, Lakeville South WAS the better team! Schumacher played a great game in net, the defense on the whole played VERY well and Kloos, Harvey, Lauderdale, Witalaa, Doeden, Freemark, Heller, and the rest of the team raised their level of play. South has been a strong team all year long.......to date, Section 1AA has lost 1 state tourney game in the last 2 years. Not sure any other section can make that statement but am sure this fact will certainly be checked ad nauseum...! This was one of the most entertaining games so far this year. Duluth East, again has a very good team. East is deep, well coached, and the kids have a ton of heart. Am just glad this game wasn't decided by a flukey type goal, ie bouncing off a skate, goalie falls down, etc.. The Hounds will still be heard from in this tourney and I would NOT want to play this team tomorrow......and of course the Hounds will be back in the hunt next year....!!!!

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Lou Nanne couldn't believe how good South was but admitted to never having seen them play. He wasn't alone and his opinion, like most everyone elses was based on 1AA being bad.

Maybe what worked against East was that they were playing a 1AA team, not a very good team that just happend to be in 1AA. East's defense looked completely unprepared for South, the shots slightly favored East but it seemed good scoring chances were really lopsided towards South the second two periods and the only sustained offense East had was on the powerplay.

I hope South gives it to Edina or BSM but I doubt the kids from either one of those schools will overlook South like it seemed East did.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 pm

nahc wrote:Allstatebender, Superstar, 21Swagger, Orty, pucku126 and Sats81: Thats why they play the game. Duluth East has a very good team but TONIGHT, Lakeville South WAS the better team! Schumacher played a great game in net, the defense on the whole played VERY well and Kloos, Harvey, Lauderdale, Witalaa, Doeden, Freemark, Heller, and the rest of the team raised their level of play. South has been a strong team all year long.......to date, Section 1AA has lost 1 state tourney game in the last 2 years. Not sure any other section can make that statement but am sure this fact will certainly be checked ad nauseum...! This was one of the most entertaining games so far this year. Duluth East, again has a very good team. East is deep, well coached, and the kids have a ton of heart. Am just glad this game wasn't decided by a flukey type goal, ie bouncing off a skate, goalie falls down, etc.. The Hounds will still be heard from in this tourney and I would NOT want to play this team tomorrow......and of course the Hounds will be back in the hunt next year....!!!!
I disagree. I think East just fizzles out tomorrow. Karl and Lee made the great point that this team just has not been firing on all cylinders since the playoffs began. They have not shown the fire they displayed earlier this year, and certainly not what we saw at State last year.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 pm

After watching them dominate MG in January I thought this DE team was better than the 1998 State Champion team (but not as good as the 95 or 96 teams). Hopefully they can bounce back tomorrow.

xy

Post by xy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Which is funny since I saw Lou at the South-Edina game back in December.

I did find it odd to hear that he thought South had no chance - it was obviously an upset, but anybody who's been around hockey as long as he has should know that hot goalies and fluky things can happen in hockey.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 pm

hockey59 wrote:After watching them dominate MG in January I thought this DE team was better than the 1998 State Champion team (but not as good as the 95 or 96 teams). Hopefully they can bounce back tomorrow.

I hope that game is archived somewhere, because I'd like to see it again. If we could ever hold up a single as the perfect ideal of Mike Randolph hockey, that was it.

Not sure what to think about tomorrow. I could easily see them coming out flat after this one, but you never know.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 pm

xy wrote:Which is funny since I saw Lou at the South-Edina game back in December.

I did find it odd to hear that he thought South had no chance - it was obviously an upset, but anybody who's been around hockey as long as he has should know that hot goalies and fluky things can happen in hockey.

Lol. Xy-I was thinking same thing as I saw him at Edina south game too!

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 pm

nahc wrote:Allstatebender, Superstar, 21Swagger, Orty, pucku126 and Sats81: Thats why they play the game. Duluth East has a very good team but TONIGHT, Lakeville South WAS the better team! Schumacher played a great game in net, the defense on the whole played VERY well and Kloos, Harvey, Lauderdale, Witalaa, Doeden, Freemark, Heller, and the rest of the team raised their level of play. South has been a strong team all year long.......to date, Section 1AA has lost 1 state tourney game in the last 2 years. Not sure any other section can make that statement but am sure this fact will certainly be checked ad nauseum...! This was one of the most entertaining games so far this year. Duluth East, again has a very good team. East is deep, well coached, and the kids have a ton of heart. Am just glad this game wasn't decided by a flukey type goal, ie bouncing off a skate, goalie falls down, etc.. The Hounds will still be heard from in this tourney and I would NOT want to play this team tomorrow......and of course the Hounds will be back in the hunt next year....!!!!
NAhc- that's funny coming from the same guy who blamed the LS-LN blowout in the section final on the LN goalie!!

Lemme guess: " you didn't have a dog in that fight" though did ya? :wink:

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 pm

xy wrote:Which is funny since I saw Lou at the South-Edina game back in December.

It's just my opinion, but that was not a "fluky" win by LS. It looked to me like they just flat out played better and beat them. IMHO.

xy

Post by xy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm

I completely agree on the South win and didn't mean to imply it was fluky - my point was that even before the game Lou should have kept in mind that strange things can happen.

RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:34 pm

No need to poke fun or say "I told you so".. Those that followed South knew they are a better team than most gave them credit for and knew they would give DE a fight. I predicted an upset but only if South played to their capabilities and they did, best I have seen them all year and DE also looked flat and frustrated. South needs to live up to this upset tomorrow with another good effort.. they have as good of chance as anyone now!