Ted Brill Great 8 rosters

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Post by observer »

I guess I don't even know what a senior trip is. I did hear of some seniors going to Mexico for some sun, fun and legal drinking. The scouts will be happy to hear your kid missed the tournament for spring break. I know players from 4-5 of the schools you mentioned will be there. Spring break is 9 days and the tournament is 3.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

observer wrote:I guess I don't even know what a senior trip is. I did hear of some seniors going to Mexico for some sun, fun and legal drinking. The scouts will be happy to hear your kid missed the tournament for spring break. I know players from 4-5 of the schools you mentioned will be there. Spring break is 9 days and the tournament is 3.
Maybe that shows exactly where some players priorities lie.. It's disappointing
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Roy01 wrote:
observer wrote:I guess I don't even know what a senior trip is. I did hear of some seniors going to Mexico for some sun, fun and legal drinking. The scouts will be happy to hear your kid missed the tournament for spring break. I know players from 4-5 of the schools you mentioned will be there. Spring break is 9 days and the tournament is 3.
Really? These kids play hockey 24/7 365 and you question their priorities for wanting to take a couple days off during their senior year mere weeks after their seasons ended... wow :roll:
Go Hounds.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

EHSHack wrote:
Roy01 wrote:
Really? These kids play hockey 24/7 365 and you question their priorities for wanting to take a couple days off during their senior year mere weeks after their seasons ended... wow :roll:
In all fairness, some time off is obviously acceptable, yes. But IF these boys are truly serious about competing and playing at the next level, wouldn't you want to play in the tournament that brings in the best exposure for scouts at both the junior and collegiate level? Also having the ability to play in the NIT tournament if you're selected? I'm sorry but I personally wouldn't take a weekend in "El Mehico" when you could have the opportunity to show everyone what you've got.. That is, if you're serious about playing post high school. If not, great! Have at it. But do not waste a roster spot for another willing player who wishes to continue.

Further more, while playing in juniors (which will be the next step for most of these players) hockey is basically your occupation - maybe in high school players are playing to "have fun" as so many say, but juniors is a business. If these boys want to be a part of the business, showing up at the Great 8 is a nice first step for your "application."

ANYWAY, to refrain from that topic, I heard the rosters were released? Does anyone have them up yet?
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Also I believe that participation in the Great 8 will make the players lose any remaining eligibility for spring sports.
Some who already have offers sometimes also do not play in this festival.
observer

Post by observer »

Also I believe that participation in the Great 8 will make the players lose any remaining eligibility for spring sports.
What? So you're saying there are no lacrosse, baseball, golf or track team participants on any Great 8 rosters? I don't think that is true.
Last edited by observer on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrashDaNET

Post by CrashDaNET »

Roy01 wrote:
EHSHack wrote:
Roy01 wrote: Maybe that shows exactly where some players priorities lie.. It's disappointing
In all fairness, some time off is obviously acceptable, yes. But IF these boys are truly serious about competing and playing at the next level, wouldn't you want to play in the tournament that brings in the best exposure for scouts at both the junior and collegiate level? Also having the ability to play in the NIT tournament if you're selected? I'm sorry but I personally wouldn't take a weekend in "El Mehico" when you could have the opportunity to show everyone what you've got.. That is, if you're serious about playing post high school. If not, great! Have at it. But do not waste a roster spot for another willing player who wishes to continue.

Further more, while playing in juniors (which will be the next step for most of these players) hockey is basically your occupation - maybe in high school players are playing to "have fun" as so many say, but juniors is a business. If these boys want to be a part of the business, showing up at the Great 8 is a nice first step for your "application."

ANYWAY, to refrain from that topic, I heard the rosters were released? Does anyone have them up yet?
Talk about being short sighted and painting every kid with a broadbrush!!! WOW!
How about Spring Family Vacation trips, Cruises with Friends and Family. Not all kids who go to "El Mehico" as you call it or anywhere else for a Senior Trip are there to drink.

What is so wrong about spending time with your childhood friends one last time before you all go your separate ways for the rest of your life?

What if you waited only to find out that you weren't chosen for the Great 8?

"Why is it held over one of the most common Spring Vacation Weekend?"

Pretty unfair post IMHO ...
ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka »

Roy01, you sound like one of those parents who thought your son was destined for the NHL in Mites. Or, maybe you work for Minnesota Hockey who is trying to sell this tournament to the masses who have figured it out for what it really is--a money maker. OF course your child should go on his Sr. trip with his friends if he has the opportunity. Don't you think the scouts haven't seen all these kids? They were at games all season, Elite season, etc. If they want you- believe me they already know it!! Put your $300 towards your plane tickets and take lots of pictures of Junior on the beach...they will be memories they'll cherish a lifetime!
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

ticktacktonka wrote:Roy01, you sound like one of those parents who thought your son was destined for the NHL in Mites. Or, maybe you work for Minnesota Hockey who is trying to sell this tournament to the masses who have figured it out for what it really is--a money maker. OF course your child should go on his Sr. trip with his friends if he has the opportunity. Don't you think the scouts haven't seen all these kids? They were at games all season, Elite season, etc. If they want you- believe me they already know it!! Put your $300 towards your plane tickets and take lots of pictures of Junior on the beach...they will be memories they'll cherish a lifetime!
ticktacktonka, I'm actually neither a parent nor someone endorsing Minnesota Hockey.. Scouts have seen the players they want/need to see and maybe a bit more - I'm speaking more towards the players who are "overlooked." Obviously if you're being handed cards throughout the season by teams there may not be a reason to play (for the exposure matter) there versus a trip and if that's what someone wants to do, cool. Great. Their decision, not mine by any means nor would I fault them for it. Everyone has their options. It's not the choice I made in the past with my Great 8, but everyone has their opinions on what to do, yes?

So far as this tournament being a money maker.. All WCHA teams were present last year (minus Alaska), Cary Eades of UND was present, many USHL and NAHL scouts were also in attendance followed with a few East-Coast squads. They sold I believe 110 scouting books within the first couple days.. There are people there - this tournament is about exposure, not deepening a pocket.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

greybeard58 wrote:Also I believe that participation in the Great 8 will make the players lose any remaining eligibility for spring sports.
Some who already have offers sometimes also do not play in this festival.
That is incorrect. When the program was initially developed, the team that traveled out East had to make a choice. That issue has since been rectified with the MSHSL.

Not to say, it doesn't lead to butting heads with some spring events, and coaches, over timing, absence, etc., but it is fully sanctioned. 8)
Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad »

CrashDaNET wrote:
Roy01 wrote:
EHSHack wrote: Really? These kids play hockey 24/7 365 and you question their priorities for wanting to take a couple days off during their senior year mere weeks after their seasons ended... wow :roll:

How about Spring Family Vacation trips, Cruises with Friends and Family. Not all kids who go to "El Mehico" as you call it or anywhere else for a Senior Trip are there to drink.

What is so wrong about spending time with your childhood friends one last time before you all go your separate ways for the rest of your life?

Wow, I am with you CrashDaNet. Remember, these are 17 -18 boys and its the prime time of their high school years. Most of these kids would prefer look at good looking girls in bikinis on a cruise, rather than put on the old stinky equipment to play in a tourney or a league that Mom or Dad said they should play in. As a parent whose kid is in this situation - he decided to go on a cruise.
12to14

Post by 12to14 »

Goalie-Dad wrote:
CrashDaNET wrote:
Roy01 wrote: In all fairness, some time off is obviously acceptable, yes. But IF these boys are truly serious about competing and playing at the next level, wouldn't you want to play in the tournament that brings in the best exposure for scouts at both the junior and collegiate level? Also having the ability to play in the NIT tournament if you're selected? I'm sorry but I personally wouldn't take a weekend in "El Mehico" when you could have the opportunity to show everyone what you've got.. That is, if you're serious about playing post high school. If not, great! Have at it. But do not waste a roster spot for another willing player who wishes to continue.

Wow, I am with you CrashDaNet. Remember, these are 17 -18 boys and its the prime time of their high school years. Most of these kids would prefer look at good looking girls in bikinis on a cruise, rather than put on the old stinky equipment to play in a tourney or a league that Mom or Dad said they should play in. As a parent whose kid is in this situation - he decided to go on a cruise.

They're out on MN Hockey website and Franke is not on it and should BE
http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... 012_1_.pdf
blueblood

Great 8

Post by blueblood »

Did you ever consider that maybe Franke was invited but is not available to play?
Reggie

Re: Great 8

Post by Reggie »

blueblood wrote:Did you ever consider that maybe Franke was invited but is not available to play?
He wants to play, but didn't get an invite.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Puck guy, Thank you for the updated info knew of 3 players a few years ago that had to make a choice.
gardetto

Re: Great 8

Post by gardetto »

Reggie wrote:
blueblood wrote:Did you ever consider that maybe Franke was invited but is not available to play?
He wants to play, but didn't get an invite.
Maybe he needs to ask his coach why. as the coaches do submit the players for consideration,
shoottowin

Post by shoottowin »

I know of a few kids going on family trips (Disney World, cruise) - these kids, I totally understand forgoing the Great 8. For those going to Mexico to 'sow their oats' and 'legally drink' - hmmm - not sure where the dedication is.

Not sure attending/not attending the Great 8 will determine their hockey future - lot of kids on here that are good players, but lots of good players missing. Curious as to the goalie selection for the 1A/1AA - 1 or 2 with better stats and/or played in tougher conferences should of got the nod instead. All in all, should be some good hockey, and kudos to those who chose their families for their senior trip vs hockey - could be the last family vacation some of these senior kids will have.
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

shoottowin wrote: Not sure attending/not attending the Great 8 will determine their hockey future - lot of kids on here that are good players, but lots of good players missing. Curious as to the goalie selection for the 1A/1AA - 1 or 2 with better stats and/or played in tougher conferences should of got the nod instead.
To be honest, you will be surprised at how good these two goalies really are, quite impressive despite the teams they play for.
The best, period
cooper26

Post by cooper26 »

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:
shoottowin wrote: Not sure attending/not attending the Great 8 will determine their hockey future - lot of kids on here that are good players, but lots of good players missing. Curious as to the goalie selection for the 1A/1AA - 1 or 2 with better stats and/or played in tougher conferences should of got the nod instead.
To be honest, you will be surprised at how good these two goalies really are, quite impressive despite the teams they play for.
I believe that's true and they will be tested! There are some excellent players on the section one team but they're not quite as deep as most of the other teams. It is what it is.

It should be a fun weekend though! :)
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Looks like C.J. had a nice weekend!!!!