Pioneer Press All Metro selections

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

xy

Post by xy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Lists Jay Dickman as a defenseman. Doesn't do wonders for their credibility. (Not that I question the selection or Jay's worthiness, just the newspaper's attention to detail).

hockeyman84

Post by hockeyman84 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Pretty sure this is all state I don't think Moorhead is in the metro.

almostashappy

Re: Pioneer Press All Metro selections

Post by almostashappy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:40 pm

D1 recruit Sam Wolffe doesn't even make their "East Metro" squad, but CDH has two D-men on that list?:roll:

xy

Post by xy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 pm

This isn't the first time the Pioneer Press selections made you shake your head. Last year Kloos was only honorable mention despite leading the state in scoring, and the selection of Hill-Murray's goalie as player of the year puzzled many (no offense to the kid, but a guy who's now in the NAHL above Rau?).

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Pioneer Press has always included players outside of the Twin Cities in its annual teams. Their list isn't intended on being metro only.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Definitely some head scratchers on this list. The press is a joke anyway. Strib not much better.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I've never been a fan of the Pioneer Press' annual all-metro or all-state teams or whatever it is they put out. I'd love to be a captain in a pick-up game against whoever picks these teams.

hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 pm

There are kids on the "Minnesota" team list that I have personally watched this year. Without mentioning names, some of these kids can barely even skate or catch passes at a varsity level. Why do we reward mediocracy? God forbid somebody gets their feelings hurt. Poor job Pioneer Press.

Hscout000

Post by Hscout000 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Looks like the press prefers names people know or might have heard vs. who can actually play

ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Do they do any research on these players before they put them on the list. I have a hard time believing they've even seen some of these kids play. Poor effort for the Pioneer Press. The Star Tribune's list was much better.

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 pm

It appears making the PP list is alot like who makes the cut to get recruiting letters in football. If you can run 10 yards without falling down you get one!
Go Hounds.

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:41 pm

i think i saw 3 kids from minneapolis named and 3 kids from richfield named. in reality only 1 of those 6 should have made it and thats up for argument. this list is way to long for honorable mention and just brutal

Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 pm

This is a horrible list.

slacsap

Post by slacsap » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 pm

I don't really have too much of a problem with the first and second teams in the Pioneer Press. I do agree that the honorable mention list is way too long. It also does not seem that whoever picked the teams has seen too many games. As noted earlier, Dickman, hwile certainlky deserving his spon on the team is a forward, not a defenseman. Also, anyone who has seen Hill-Murray play any significant amount would clearly see that Jake Guentzel, not Charlie Sampair, is the "offensive catalyst" for the Pioneers. Again, not disputing Sampair's spot on the team, just the description.

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:19 pm

xy wrote:Lists Jay Dickman as a defenseman. Doesn't do wonders for their credibility. (Not that I question the selection or Jay's worthiness, just the newspaper's attention to detail).
Directly from the Pioneer Press website.

"JAY DICKMAN

School: Johnson

Position: Defense

Year: Senior

The skinny: Big, rugged defenseman who can score with flair, he had 45 goals and 23 assists in leading the Govs to the Section 4AA semifinals. His size (6 feet 6) contributes to an NHL-caliber shot. Had 11 power-play goals and a short-handed goal. Is playing for the Fargo Force of the USHL."

My hat's off to the crack reporting staff at the Pioneer Press. Jay Dickman certainly deserves to be recognized for his achievements this year, but I'm just wondering if I could walk in to the Pioneer Press with my 64 color Crayola crayon box and get a job as a high school sports reporter. A minor fact they overlooked is that he's actually a forward. Jay, I'm sorry that they disrespected you in this manner. To all Pioneer Press readers, I'm just sorry. This type of reporting just exudes credibility, doesn't it?

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 pm

Another Pioneer Press shining moment -

"CHARLIE SAMPAIR

School: Hill-Murray

Position: Forward/defense

Year: Senior

The skinny: The offensive catalyst for the Class 2A, Section 4 champions, he has 29 goals and 19 assists this season. The third-year varsity player has great speed, is an exceptional skater and has an uncanny rink vision. Has 11 power-play goals and 11 short-handed tallies. Averages nearly two points a game."

Again, nothing against Charlie - congrats on a well deserved honor. But, really, 11 short handed tallies? Have they ever heard of the term "fact checker"?

Rabbelrouser

Post by Rabbelrouser » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Completely agree Dickman should be recognized as a forward for a great year. He has the potential to be a GREAT player at the next level! The Pioneer Press needs to look at some of their selections. They left off them pretty obvious names, and I don't even think they even need to be mentioned after looking at the Star Tribune All-Metro 1st and 2nd teams!

4thlineproblems

Post by 4thlineproblems » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 am

Ian West is the back-up goalie at STA and made honerable mention...

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 am

4thlineproblems wrote:Ian West is the back-up goalie at STA and made honerable mention...
I think the same can be said for Anthony Zappa for WBL.

auld_skool

Re: Pioneer Press All Metro selections

Post by auld_skool » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:16 am

Their list has absolutely no meaning. Congrats to everyone who made it. Maybe a few athletes get a thrill for a few more days after hockey is over.

Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 pm

BodyShots wrote:
4thlineproblems wrote:Ian West is the back-up goalie at STA and made honerable mention...
Body..... This is unbelievable......

According to Hockey Hub, Zappa played 350 minutes.. By my calculation of 51 min games, that is a total of 7 games played. His record was 4-3.

Gee... It must be nice that the head coach of WBL is married to a Zappa.

Winning

Post by Winning » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 am

Goldfishdude wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
Body..... This is unbelievable......

According to Hockey Hub, Zappa played 350 minutes.. By my calculation of 51 min games, that is a total of 7 games played. His record was 4-3.

Gee... It must be nice that the head coach of WBL is married to a Zappa.
Goldfishdude...Jealousy does not be come you at all. Just because your kid did not make it at this level doesn't mean you should bash other kids. Since you are so caught up on facts. In one of Zappa's losses Schletty, "Mr. I will not be Shaken" gave up 3 of the goals against Hastings. It was Senior night and the goalies were splitting the game. The only goal Zappa gave up was in the overtime, which went in off a skate. In the Grand Rapids game he gave up 2 of the 4 goals, again in a game that was split between the two. Zappa was credited in the loss. Sager showed no favortism at all, if he had WBL would have had a few more wins and could have made it to the Section Finals again. Schletty got them to state last year and his whole season this year was based on his past performance. You can say all you want about last year and that Schletty had a team in front of him. The same could be said that that is the reason they made it to state...Not goaltending!! Good goalies come up big when they don't have a team in front of them ie. Johnson's goalie.
Please find a hobby and leave the kids alone, that includes you Bodyshots. I know who you guys are and you probably guessed who I am, so if you ever want to discuss this like men let me know but don't hide behind this forum...Be Men!!!!

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 pm

whats the difference between this and the Associated Press All State team

http://www.minnesota-high-school-hockey.blogspot.com/
The best, period

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 pm

The Best in the Bizz3 wrote:whats the difference between this and the Associated Press All State team

http://www.minnesota-high-school-hockey.blogspot.com/
AP has Coatta playing defense. :roll:

But AP doesn't think Eagan D1 recruit Sam Wolffe deserves honorable mention, just like PP. Guess they both know something that the Maine Bears don't. :roll: :roll: