Keep going Lou

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Keep going Lou

Post by O-townClown »

Your knowledge about today's HS landscape is impressive, your historical perspective unmatched. Your passion for hockey at all levels is unrivaled.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, for that is why you are there. Nearly 50 years and no sign of slowing.

Bravo.
Be kind. Rewind.
gfhockey

Post by gfhockey »

Phil just reminds me of like a mafia type of guy lol. Thats a compliment in the way he knows everything about everyone and is old school. He has seen it all in his time.
Mr.DudeGuy

Post by Mr.DudeGuy »

gfhockey wrote:Phil just reminds me of like a mafia type of guy lol. Thats a compliment in the way he knows everything about everyone and is old school. He has seen it all in his time.
Lou?
gfhockey

Post by gfhockey »

Yeah sorry. I ment Lou
WB6162

Re: Keep going Lou

Post by WB6162 »

O-townClown wrote:Your knowledge about today's HS landscape is impressive, your historical perspective unmatched. Your passion for hockey at all levels is unrivaled.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, for that is why you are there. Nearly 50 years and no sign of slowing.

Bravo.
Lou is a state treasure. I totally agree.
Mr.DudeGuy

Post by Mr.DudeGuy »

gfhockey wrote:Yeah sorry. I ment Lou
That makes a lot more sense to me :)
CRS

Post by CRS »

I thought he did well today.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Very impressed he was able to see the high sticks and great saves when nobody else could until the replays. Sharp as a tack!
blueliner2day

Post by blueliner2day »

MrBoDangles wrote:Very impressed he was able to see the high sticks and great saves when nobody else could until the replays. Sharp as a tack!
I don't know about the tack part but the "there's no way Lakeville South beats Duluth East" comment has me more on the bowling ball sharpness side of things. Game commentary is more his style.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Wonder if the big eraser came out for the "will" after last nights game?
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Someday Lou will not be there. Then you will go what a treasure. Good or bad. Just old school classic!

The other classic treasure is Sid Hartman, wow at his age he sure tries hard to have the story. ](*,)
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

Lou makes the Class AA tourney that much better with his commentary, the longer he does what he does the better. He is what Minnesota hockey is all about and its a treat to be able to listen to him, hes a Minnesota hockey legend.
stpaul

Lou Nanne

Post by stpaul »

Love Lou. He is the modern day Godfather of Minnesota Hockey. The Tournament on TV would not be the same without him.
Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter »

if we could just trade Wally Shaver for Clay it would be awesome :wink:
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

Master Recruiter wrote:if we could just trade Wally Shaver for Clay it would be awesome :wink:
YES

I still want Bob Costas and Erin Andrews though...

8)
The Puck
LGW
puck81

Post by puck81 »

Lou Nanne has been a great ambassador for the game of hockey in this state for decades. I remember in the 70's Louie would go out to the different youth orginizations and pose with the various teams for pictures and he was just a class act all the way. The guy had two grandsons on the Edina team so if he was a bit partial for Edina last night well imagine that! Actually my friend who watched at home thought Louie was very fair to both BSM aand Edina throughout the telecast. Thank you Lou Nanne for all that you have done for hockey in Minnesota.
Murray Chadwick

Post by Murray Chadwick »

Master Recruiter wrote:if we could just trade Wally Shaver for Clay it would be awesome :wink:
Yeah, not sure why Wally Shaver was ever let go in the first place. I'd take Wally back in a heartbeat over Matvick!
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

You could not find a nicer man who will NEVER say no to having his picture taken with the kids. He truly is a class act.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Murray Chadwick wrote:
Yeah, not sure why Wally Shaver was ever let go in the first place. I'd take Wally back in a heartbeat over Matvick!
I'd also rather see Wally than Clay, but the old man (Al Shaver) would put 'em both to shame ! Most people on here probably don't know who I'm talking about (they're not old enough).
Govie

Post by Govie »

LOVE Lou. Pure class all the way through and always enjoy his voice/commentary and display of love for Minnesota high school stick.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

Lou is an institution. The tourney will never be the same when he decides to hang it up.
politicalpuck

Too Many Mentions of An Unmentionable Topic

Post by politicalpuck »

My only criticism of Lou's commentary during the AA championship game was the repeated references to spinal cord injuries.

Please know that I wish no one would ever have to suffer from such an injury, and my heart and admiration goes out to people who live impaired lives. But with the Jablonski boy, Lou's focus on the assistant coach who suffered a spine injury while playing several years ago, and Lou's reference to another hockey player who became paralyzed after losing his balance when he crashed into the boards after some idiot threw a coin on the ice, it became too much.

Anyone new or fairly new to hockey tuning in to the championship game might come away from the game thinking that the game is way too dangerous to play, especially if they are thinking of letting their kids play hockey. I know that was not Mr. Nanne's intent to blacken the game with his references to spine injuries.

Maybe others noticed the repeated references to paralysis in that game. And perhaps I am way too sensitive to the public perception of hockey.
Govie

Re: Too Many Mentions of An Unmentionable Topic

Post by Govie »

politicalpuck wrote:My only criticism of Lou's commentary during the AA championship game was the repeated references to spinal cord injuries.

Please know that I wish no one would ever have to suffer from such an injury, and my heart and admiration goes out to people who live impaired lives. But with the Jablonski boy, Lou's focus on the assistant coach who suffered a spine injury while playing several years ago, and Lou's reference to another hockey player who became paralyzed after losing his balance when he crashed into the boards after some idiot threw a coin on the ice, it became too much.

Anyone new or fairly new to hockey tuning in to the championship game might come away from the game thinking that the game is way too dangerous to play, especially if they are thinking of letting their kids play hockey. I know that was not Mr. Nanne's intent to blacken the game with his references to spine injuries.

Maybe others noticed the repeated references to paralysis in that game. And perhaps I am way too sensitive to the public perception of hockey.
It's not just you. I think the Jablonski thing has gone really over board, with all due respect to him and his family and all the suffering. I distinctly remember a couple kids that got paralyzed in the metro area back in the 90s and the coverage of those instances were nil. Seriously. For some reason the Jablonski warranted this attention when there have been numerous such instances in the past?

Our society has become soft. I just found out yesterday they have now banned checking in pee-wees. And their contention was that it would make the game "safer." I was shocked.

Anyone who has grown up in the state playing knows the biggest jump is from pee-wees to bantams. My jump from pee wees to bantams was the first year I was cut, and a lot of it was a lot of kids went through puberty and were absolutely huger than me. And the powers that be some how think that just jumping into bantams not having some background in checking etiquette in pee wees and throwing them into the bantams somehow makes them safer? Fooey. Total manure.

Anyway, that is just a total rant on my behalf and better kept for a thread on the issue.

My contention is that society is paranoid, hypersensitive, politically correct...soft. I don't fault Lou for talking about it since it is THE topic this year.
SPUDNUT

Re: Too Many Mentions of An Unmentionable Topic

Post by SPUDNUT »

politicalpuck wrote:My only criticism of Lou's commentary during the AA championship game was the repeated references to spinal cord injuries.

Some of us aren't too old to read the small print !
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

just like all the soft rule changes, theres no old school anymore, Its time for a change. BYE BYE lou!