State A Final: [2] St. Thomas Academy vs [1] Hermantown

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hermantown
60%
St. Thomas Academy
40%

Total votes: 35

Irishhockey007

Post by Irishhockey007 »

royals03 wrote:
Irishhockey007 wrote:
royals03 wrote:Everybody wants to praise the Vanelli's (sp) for what a great job they do as coaches, I am not going to take that away. I will say this, now if you really want to see what you can do move up to where you belong not based off your student population, but based off the ability of your program. Now if you are scared say you are scared. BSM has done fine with the move. To think you can't handle it at the AA level is ridiculous you are dismantling an undefeated team. Fluke I don't think so. :twisted:
Just listend to H-town's coach understandbly he sounds frustrated, not because they are losing, but because he knows he is playing a team that should be in AA.
I really am beginning to understand why all of the northern teams are so weak and frustrated with teams like STA, because their parents/relatives who post on this site are soft and support making excuses rather than working harder to beat these tough teams.
You are funny you chose my post to to respond to and call me a parent and or relative of northern schools. You should follow the forum more often between your scouting for new tlaent for ST Thomas. I am a Rogers Royals fan and if you are not familiar with the state we are just west of the cities.
Oh and you are right I am sure H-town just sat on their keesters this summer and an undefeated season just fell in their lap. I am going to assume you have a private education as well and if so I am sorry how wrong I was about how good the education is for privates. :lol: :shock: :twisted: :roll: \:D/

OVERRATED clap clap clapclapclap
royals03

Post by royals03 »

Irishhockey007 wrote:
royals03 wrote:
Irishhockey007 wrote: I really am beginning to understand why all of the northern teams are so weak and frustrated with teams like STA, because their parents/relatives who post on this site are soft and support making excuses rather than working harder to beat these tough teams.
You are funny you chose my post to to respond to and call me a parent and or relative of northern schools. You should follow the forum more often between your scouting for new tlaent for ST Thomas. I am a Rogers Royals fan and if you are not familiar with the state we are just west of the cities.
Oh and you are right I am sure H-town just sat on their keesters this summer and an undefeated season just fell in their lap. I am going to assume you have a private education as well and if so I am sorry how wrong I was about how good the education is for privates. :lol: :shock: :twisted: :roll: \:D/

OVERRATED clap clap clapclapclap
I am sorry I just realized you are a forum virgin. You must be pretty young to be able to do 2 posts in a row.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Announced attendance of 9,157 new Class A record.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

thestickler07 wrote:Announced attendance of 9,157 new Class A record.
Double what I thought it would be (which is great)...but less than 1/2 of what the crowd likely will be tonight.
Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter »

well wasn't that tournament fun!

It was basically scripted a la pro wrestling :lol:
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

A final thought...Congrats to the STA players!

It's not their fault they are stuck playing for a 2nd rate title.

But the administration, AD and coaches at STA deserve all the grief they are getting...because THEY KNOW BETTER..than to play Class A hockey. At this point, no excuse or justification has validity.
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

hockey59 wrote:A final thought...Congrats to the STA players!

But the administration, AD and coaches at STA deserve all the grief they are getting...because THEY KNOW BETTER..than to play Class A hockey. At this point, no excuse or justification has validity.
Congrats for what? Playing in a game they don't belong in? Try to make the 7 pm game and then we'll see who cares...
Irishhockey007

Post by Irishhockey007 »

kpryan88 wrote:

Congrats for what? Playing in a game they don't belong in? Try to make the 7 pm game and then we'll see who cares...
Haters gonna hate!
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

hockey59 wrote:Glad to finally hear you admit the obvious.

BTW have you ever played hockey? BECAUSE most hockey player want to play against the best. The " I don't believe in a class system where those who are good in it need to move up." argument might work for other sports...but not HOCKEY.
Finally? It's what I've been saying all along. More proof you don't actually read my posts before posting negatively about them.

No, it's not a hockey thing, it's a class system thing. Does the best D3 team move up to D2/D1 the following season? No; is it because they are sandbagging? No, it's because it's a class system.
hockey59 wrote:
Double what I thought it would be (which is great)...but less than 1/2 of what the crowd likely will be tonight.
Which says a lot about the hockey community fans.
defense wrote:
Irishhockey007 wrote:
royals03 wrote:Everybody wants to praise the Vanelli's (sp) for what a great job they do as coaches, I am not going to take that away. I will say this, now if you really want to see what you can do move up to where you belong not based off your student population, but based off the ability of your program. Now if you are scared say you are scared. BSM has done fine with the move. To think you can't handle it at the AA level is ridiculous you are dismantling an undefeated team. Fluke I don't think so. :twisted:
Just listend to H-town's coach understandbly he sounds frustrated, not because they are losing, but because he knows he is playing a team that should be in AA.
I really am beginning to understand why all of the northern teams are so weak and frustrated with teams like STA, because their parents/relatives who post on this site are soft and support making excuses rather than working harder to beat these tough teams.
This is my point of view also, and I am from the outstate up north. Long gone are our strong leaders who used to try and push us to be better, now we just get complacent and look for excuses, play in leagues that we can be a power in without much work for improvement instead of playing up to push everything forward. I kinda wonder if the fact that most of the babby boomer generation are now grandparents instead of parents has something to do with it.
=D>
kpryan88 wrote:

Have you guys read any of the comments about tonight's game?
The same disrespect given to St Thomas is being given to the two teams who made it to the "big boy" final.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

kpryan88 wrote:

Me and my youngest son will be at the true Championship game tonight...should be a blast!
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

I guess STA is the master of their little domain. Nobody really cares, I listened to 5 minutes of the game max.

Minnetonka's Junior Gold A would have been a better matchup than Hermantown.

Looking forward to the real championship game tonight.
HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:2 quick ones and this ones getting outta control. 4-0 STA
This one's OVER....and the pathetic thing is cronies like HSHockeywatcher and TheStickler07...think they are accomplishing something SPECIAL

What a joke...STA playing Class A and they're supporters trying to justify it...talk about trophy chasing...and not challenging they're kids to play against the best and win a title that actually means something. Props to BSM and HM. They might not be liked, but they are respected...STA is neither.

5-1 now...but still still OVER.[/i][/b]
This strikes me as so odd. All season long there were Hermantown supporters saying they thought their squad was the best team in state, regardless of class, that they could play with Duluth East, and that they hoped they'd get the #2 seed so they could beat both Breck and St Thomas.All season long I was called biased and a homer for putting St Thomas in the #1 spot on my rankings because Hermantown was clearly the better team and they've proven it. Winning all season with outstanding defense.

Now that we're at the tournament, where are all those comments? The head coach has made excuses for them to lose, all the fingers are pointed and people are conceding before the game even happens. Somehow the Hawks got the top seed, yet their coach and all the announcers call them the underdog.

All we'd had all season long was disrespect from the Hermantown supporters communities and now that this game has come around no one can just say "you're better, good job" but instead make more excuses. There has been no disrespect from the private school communities; just kids going out and playing hockey.

If they could opt up for one year, I'm sure St Thomas would for next year. They can't.

Good luck to all the seniors in the off season before continuing playing hockey post secondary.
Nobody in Duluth thought Hermantown was better than the Twin Cities powerhouses. The fact is, for strong northern programs (Duluth East, Duluth Marshall, Grand Rapids), they play a weak schedule and thus everyone knew their record was deceiving. They haven't been challenged all year and it showed today.

However, Hermantown commands respect in the Duluth community because they play a classy yet strong work ethic game and every year, Plante takes nobody players who have never played selects or elites and turns the team into a force. Hermantown has always been greater than the sum of its parts because he instills important hockey fundamentals in his teams that no other Duluth team has perfected as good as Hermantown.
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

Thank God another boring private win is over. Kinda like kissing your sister

kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:

BTW have you ever played hockey? BECAUSE most hockey player want to play against the best. The " I don't believe in a class system where those who are good in it need to move up." argument might work for other sports...but not HOCKEY.
Finally? It's what I've been saying all along. More proof you don't actually read my posts before posting negatively about them.

No, it's not a hockey thing, it's a class system thing. Does the best D3 team move up to D2/D1 the following season? No; is it because they are sandbagging? No, it's because it's a class system.
hockey59 wrote:
defense wrote:
Irishhockey007 wrote: I really am beginning to understand why all of the northern teams are so weak and frustrated with teams like STA, because their parents/relatives who post on this site are soft and support making excuses rather than working harder to beat these tough teams.
This is my point of view also, and I am from the outstate up north. Long gone are our strong leaders who used to try and push us to be better, now we just get complacent and look for excuses, play in leagues that we can be a power in without much work for improvement instead of playing up to push everything forward. I kinda wonder if the fact that most of the babby boomer generation are now grandparents instead of parents has something to do with it.
=D>
kpryan88 wrote:

The same disrespect given to St Thomas is being given to the two teams who made it to the "big boy" final.
Are you really that dumb? STA has won 4 championships in 7 years, this isn't a one time thing. They should have moved up a long time ago but they are trophy chasers. Is there anything else needed to prove they don't belong in A?
defense

Post by defense »

Same exact things were said about Warroad a while back....what's it like now????
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:

hockey59 wrote:
defense wrote:
=D>
kpryan88 wrote:

Not by me...although I think private schools have an advantage over public schools in terms of how they assemble their teams...its something I've grown to accept...because I believe public and privite schools belong in the same STATE Tourney. If you believe this...then all you ask for is the best teams play in the top level tourney. I'm neither a fan of BSM or HM...but I respect their programs.

Regarding STA, I respect their kids...but have no respect for the "powers that be" that keep them down playing a level below (or Class below) where they belong.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

hockey59 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:

hockey59 wrote: Double what I thought it would be (which is great)...but less than 1/2 of what the crowd likely will be tonight.
defense wrote: This is my point of view also, and I am from the outstate up north. Long gone are our strong leaders who used to try and push us to be better, now we just get complacent and look for excuses, play in leagues that we can be a power in without much work for improvement instead of playing up to push everything forward. I kinda wonder if the fact that most of the babby boomer generation are now grandparents instead of parents has something to do with it.
=D>
kpryan88 wrote: Congrats for what? Playing in a game they don't belong in? Try to make the 7 pm game and then we'll see who cares...
Not by me...although I think private schools have an advantage over public schools in terms of how they assemble their teams...its something I've grown to accept...because I believe public and privite schools belong in the same STATE Tourney. If you believe this...then all you ask for is the best teams play in the top level tourney. I'm neither a fan of BSM or HM...but I respect their programs.

Regarding STA, I respect their kids...but have no respect for the "powers that be" that keep them down playing a level below (or Class below) where they belong.
The parents love this spotlight, that's what it's all about. They don't want to go up against Benilds and Hill.
puckstopper33

Post by puckstopper33 »

"Have you guys read any of the comments about tonight's game?
The same disrespect given to St Thomas is being given to the two teams who made it to the "big boy" final."

They might get disrespect for being private, but the fact that they play AA is recognized and appreciated.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

puckstopper33 wrote:"Have you guys read any of the comments about tonight's game?
The same disrespect given to St Thomas is being given to the two teams who made it to the "big boy" final."

They might get disrespect for being private, but the fact that they play AA is recognized and appreciated.
:lol:
mnhockey30

Post by mnhockey30 »

CONGRATS STA

8 BILLION > 100,000

I didn't know that the cities had 8 billion people
Northhcky

Post by Northhcky »

Congratulations Hermantown! Hold you heads up. You had a great season. You set a new regular season school record going undefeated and going 30-1 for the year. Not much you can do when you have to play a AAA select team. You did your best...noone could ask for more.

For those of you that have been posting this year that teams like Warroad, Hermantown etc should move up to AA today proves that they are playing right where they belong. With the small town public schools and with homegrown talent. Call it the JV tourney if you want but to these kids its everything they have worked hard for since they put skates on and went to HS games watching the older kids play.

I wish i could congratulate St Thomas but i can't think of what to congratulate them on. Oh wait maybe congratulations on your success at recruiting some of the best talent in the Metro area, you are obviously very good at it!!
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

mnhockey30 wrote:CONGRATS STA

8 BILLION > 100,000

Bruce had a public school education
Tenoverpar

Let's

Post by Tenoverpar »

31 and 0 regular season....it's time for Hermantown to go AA after 2 straight class A title games. Stop sandbagging

I hope STA goes AA like the rest. Just don't cry next year when the AA semis are BSM STA and Hill Totino.
mnhockey30

Post by mnhockey30 »

Goldy23 wrote:
mnhockey30 wrote:CONGRATS STA

8 BILLION > 100,000

Bruce had a public school education
Should have know I guess he was overshooting the world population by about a billion as well.
Master Recruiter

Re: Let's

Post by Master Recruiter »

Tenoverpar wrote:31 and 0 regular season....it's time for Hermantown to go AA after 2 straight class A title games. Stop sandbagging

I hope STA goes AA like the rest. Just don't cry next year when the AA semis are BSM STA and Hill Totino.
Do you understand the concept of a small town?