Well. Three out of Four in the Finals are Privates ...

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Marty

Well. Three out of Four in the Finals are Privates ...

Post by Marty » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Good year for the private schools.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:52 pm

I was wondering how long it would take this thread to appear. :lol:

HShockeywatcher

Re: Well. Three out of Four in the Finals are Privates ...

Post by HShockeywatcher » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Marty wrote:Good year for the private schools.
And all are Class A sized schools \:D/

The Enlightened One

Post by The Enlightened One » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:12 pm

All privates are small. Who is a big private?

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:13 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Yeah, geez. How DO they compete? :roll:

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:13 pm

The Enlightened One wrote:All privates are small. Who is a big private?
Well I don't want to show off or anything...
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:14 pm

The Enlightened One wrote:All privates are small. Who is a big private?
really? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gilmore Tuttle

Post by Gilmore Tuttle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:15 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
and 2/3 have integrity

The Enlightened One

Post by The Enlightened One » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Walked into that one. :shock:

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Bruce sez:

"We're the public school champions right now...it's not a level playing field. Even if we could pick from all of northern Minnesota, we'd only have about 100,000 people. How big is the Cities, 8 billion? They can get them from anywhere. We've had a few kids move in to Hermantown, but they're all *from* Hermantown. [Turns to his 3 players also at the press conference] Matt Messinger was born here, Jared Kolquist was born here, and Jared Thomas moved here in third grade, when he was still in diapers. Matt had never been out of Hermantown before until we brought him down here."

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Melvin wrote:Jared Thomas moved here in third grade, when he was still in diapers.
He was wearing diapers in the third grade? :shock:

8)
The Puck
LGW

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 pm

"Matt had never been out of Hermantown before until we brought him down here."

Hilarious!

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:40 pm

I 'specially liked "How big is the Cities, 8 billion?".

Priceless. :lol:

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Go Hawks!! Do it for the publics! Hopefully next year will be the year STA finally decides to move up and level the playing field. People are getting tired of seeing them in the calss A tourney. Benilde did it a while back and looks like it's working out ok for them.

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:48 pm

^^^^
This. :)

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:48 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:Hopefully next year will be the year STA finally decides to move up and level the playing field.
They'll be in Class A for at least another 2 years.

8)
The Puck
LGW

CRS

Post by CRS » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
gopherpuck516 wrote:Hopefully next year will be the year STA finally decides to move up and level the playing field.
They'll be in Class A for at least another 2 years.

8)
That's too bad. With the talent level on STA there's no reason they couldn't compete in AA, but oh well.

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:12 am

I would be embarrassed if I was from hermantown... and mad, just win the stupid game.

Far as aa goes,call me what u will but I lost a lot of interest for the championship game, dangit Moorhead....just win the stupid game.

freestyle

Post by freestyle » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 am

How was Moorehead supposed to win when they only had 1 shot on goal in the third period? It's too bad Bitzer had to get a shutout to get a win. Just shoot on goal Moorehead....

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:48 am

Melvin wrote:Bruce sez:

"We're the public school champions right now...it's not a level playing field. Even if we could pick from all of northern Minnesota, we'd only have about 100,000 people. How big is the Cities, 8 billion? They can get them from anywhere. We've had a few kids move in to Hermantown, but they're all *from* Hermantown. [Turns to his 3 players also at the press conference] Matt Messinger was born here, Jared Kolquist was born here, and Jared Thomas moved here in third grade, when he was still in diapers. Matt had never been out of Hermantown before until we brought him down here."
You're 30-0, #1 ranked in the class and the #1 seed in the tourney and you're throwing out stuff like this before the game?

In a word, flacid.

defense

Post by defense » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:28 am

freestyle wrote:How was Moorehead supposed to win when they only had 1 shot on goal in the third period? It's too bad Bitzer had to get a shutout to get a win. Just shoot on goal Moorehead....
I had the same thought. I am not normally a Moorhead fan, but I wanted them to win. I liked their physical style, but they needed more shooting..
seems like they couldn't get a forecheck going in the third...Hill got stronger as the game went on..... guess the streak continues...

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:37 am

thestickler07 wrote:You're 30-0, #1 ranked in the class and the #1 seed in the tourney and you're throwing out stuff like this before the game?

In a word, flacid.
Its actually quite good. A little humor, a little truth, and it takes some of the pressure off of his players.

Even with Hermantown undefeated and the #1 seed, you will have no problems finding a fair share of folks who think STA is the favorite in this one.

Snap Shot

Well let me see....

Post by Snap Shot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 am

Let me get this straight.

I get to start a "hockey school."

I can choose from the best players in the city/region that I want to play for me.

Those player do not have restrictions on where they live...in fact they don't even have to live in my school’s "district."

I can recruit them...and basically decide who's on my team.

Sign me up. Why am I not winning state every year?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Benilde story (this year) and Ken Pauley is a great coach.

But why do we still operate under the illusion that MN hockey is realistically equitable? Benilde, Breck, STA, HM. etc might as well be juinor programs that recruit.

Make whatever case you want. It's stupid, unfair, unhealthy, and it's not the best model for MN HS hockey. If you want to go to private school, eligibility rule should start in 7th grade or earlier.

"Districts" should be established for private schools juts like pubic schools, or your kid doesn't play sports there. Want your kid to attend private school for a great education? Great but he/she can't play sports unless you're in the district. Want your kid to be an all star or pro hockey player but go to private school? Awesome. Send them to juniors early. Good on ya mate.

Also, if you kid leaves early from public school ala Literri or Nanne...good for you, but you get to pay for the year you wasted on the coaches and the rest of your teammates.

Make a commitment to a community and stay there.

MN HS hockey is good enough that If your kid is good enough he/she will make it just like the Brotens, Ramseys, Cullens of the world.

The "Private School" hockey concept is really a farce, and it's not good for Minnesota hockey overall.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:42 am

^^^ Agreed. Great post, well said snap shot.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Sparlimb

Re: Well let me see....

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:14 am

Snap Shot wrote:Let me get this straight.

I get to start a "hockey school."

I can choose from the best players in the city/region that I want to play for me.

Those player do not have restrictions on where they live...in fact they don't even have to live in my school’s "district."

I can recruit them...and basically decide who's on my team.

Sign me up. Why am I not winning state every year?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Benilde story (this year) and Ken Pauley is a great coach.

But why do we still operate under the illusion that MN hockey is realistically equitable? Benilde, Breck, STA, HM. etc might as well be juinor programs that recruit.

Make whatever case you want. It's stupid, unfair, unhealthy, and it's not the best model for MN HS hockey. If you want to go to private school, eligibility rule should start in 7th grade or earlier.

"Districts" should be established for private schools juts like pubic schools, or your kid doesn't play sports there. Want your kid to attend private school for a great education? Great but he/she can't play sports unless you're in the district. Want your kid to be an all star or pro hockey player but go to private school? Awesome. Send them to juniors early. Good on ya mate.

Also, if you kid leaves early from public school ala Literri or Nanne...good for you, but you get to pay for the year you wasted on the coaches and the rest of your teammates.

Make a commitment to a community and stay there.

MN HS hockey is good enough that If your kid is good enough he/she will make it just like the Brotens, Ramseys, Cullens of the world.

The "Private School" hockey concept is really a farce, and it's not good for Minnesota hockey overall.
This argument is stale, but you've littered your post with all kinds of falsehoods.

"I can choose from the best players in the city/region that I want to play for me" - FALSE. Parents and kids pick the school, not the other way around. How many private school Mr. Hockey's have their been? HM has never had one, so under your scenario they must suck at picking.

"Those players do not have restrictions on where they live" - Neither do public schools. This was all resolved in open enrollment. You can live in Rochester and attend Roseau if you want.

"I can recruit them" - HM, probably the strongest AA program over the 37 years Private schools could participate has all of 3 titles. Either their recruiting has picked the wrong kids or public schools have done just fine competing. I thought I noticed Moorhead taking HM to overtime last night. Seemed like a competitive game to me. I'm sure BSM, AHA, CDH and HM would have all liked to have Kyle Rau, Nick Leddy, Nick Bjugstad, etc, but those kids chose where they wanted to play. And that is how it should be...

"It's stupid, unfair and unhealthy" - I agree, there were 4 public schools in the AA tournament all seeded ahead of the private schools. How could anyone in their right mind beleive public schools could beat the big bad private schools? This whole thread is boring and the same every year.

You know as well as I do that if a really average WBL team had made the section finals it would have been another close game that WBL very well could have won. And then HM wouldn't even be in the finals. EP gets shocked by a #7 seed which gives BSM a free pass to the section finals and they manage to beat Tonka in what most hockey fans knew to be a big upset. There is no competitve unbalance, just a lot of bitter folks mad their team isn't playing for a final.

The one place we can agree is on Class A. I don't know if a relegation rule needs to be made or what, but Class A is broken right now. And to be honest, it is more than just private schools. If you force all the private schools to AA, you are still going to get matchups of small outstate schools getting pounded by city A schools like Mahtomedi. The competitve balance in the A tournament is skewed and needs some sort of fixing. Although the teams getting pounded may be happy their kids get a chance to go to St. Paul and don't want to fix anything. Who knows...